Ministry of Silly Strats

Comments

• _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not per se a strategy, but fun: If both teams agree, only gorges heal and wielders are allowed. Arc's, Whips, Drifters, MAC's. Full out PvE war.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Roobubba wrote: »
    I want to get 10 competent players on alien and try parasite only. It'd need to be in a big server to get enough parasites to land in quick succession, though.

We tried a stomp only game a while back but there were a couple of people cheating by using gore or not going onos. Think we had stomp up by about the 7 or 8 minute mark...

... you'd have literally no way to outdps med packs. 2-3 medpacks would quite possibly energy starve your entire skulk team. also, good luck with any kind of res harass. at least welder only is semi viable with res harass, you take down a harvester slow as shit, but at least you make noticeable progress toward your goal.
    vartija wrote: »
    xen32 wrote: »
    "marine centipede" (train of crawling marines swinging their axes).

Known also as "dragon" if executed with flamethrowers.
    x centipedes of any kind just lead to bad images now...
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    Not per se a strategy, but fun: If both teams agree, only gorges heal and wielders are allowed. Arc's, Whips, Drifters, MAC's. Full out PvE war.
    I so miss drifter rushes. I used to khamm up and silently build up 3 rt's. I would proceed to buy only drifters until either the team started complaining about no upgrades or the marine team was winning. Usually people complained in the 3-5 minute mark. I would send my drifter army out seeking out the nearest marine. I would not go for the command chair but instead I would go for each ip, and then each marine. The lag was so bad that the marines couldn't kill the drifters, on top of them not being able to focus one drifter.

The best part was marines would try to scatter and run. My drifters would chase them down one by one without mercy. Cruel, but fun.

Macs worked too but were less effective. More expensive and less dps. The most satisfying thing with macs was being able to trap a fade or onos. If you had ~30-50 macs and the fade/onos was not quick enough to run away, they would get trapped in a circle of macs pinned to that location dying a slow death by mac welder. Was easier to catch fades once EMP was researched. Cruel but fun.

The fun days of b(2xx).

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Drifter strat still works. You can't kill anything anymore but you can drop the server tickrate to 5 with enough drifters. lol
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    One can not have enough drifters. Next time I am sitting on 200 res... I might go back to the old day drifter rush.
    Have any new silly strats came out yet this last month?
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Played a few games last night, and the Khamm decided to do a structure base rush. He would tried building as many support structure as he can afford, and cyst to the marine start (this was eclipse, so we knew where marines were), and got a gorge to heal the structures as it made its way to marine start. He did an all shade and all shift on two different rounds (that didn't work). I wonder if this type of all in (takes about 2 minutes), could work if you had a crag / shade / shift combo, with 2 gorges to power build the cysts and all skulks rushing with the congo line of structures.
    Played a few games last night, and the Khamm decided to do a structure base rush. He would tried building as many support structure as he can afford, and cyst to the marine start (this was eclipse, so we knew where marines were), and got a gorge to heal the structures as it made its way to marine start. He did an all shade and all shift on two different rounds (that didn't work). I wonder if this type of all in (takes about 2 minutes), could work if you had a crag / shade / shift combo, with 2 gorges to power build the cysts and all skulks rushing with the congo line of structures.

That is silly enough to be approved by the minister.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Shade start? I know it's a logical strat, but it's rarely done.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Shade start isn't silly or fun enough to really be counted here. It's just a standard strat that is slightly weaker than the alternatives
  • SmashITSmashIT Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185504Members
    I have tried to get some pubs to pull of a "whack a mole" play with me but have failed to pull it off so far.

So for Whack a mole, one of the aliens gorge and drop a tunnel the rest skulk pack towards marine start.
    The com can grab a couple of RT's and maybe upgrades shift hive drop a shift and crags and maybe whips.
    The skulk pack gorges and drops both tunnel ends at marine spawn trying to cover the whole floor then can jump around spitting and heal spraying. If the gorge from the hive can make it there alive it can drop a tunnel from the hive.
    With luck you will have at least 10 open tunnel entrances around marine start and can now commence to play whack a mole :D
    The com could echo in crags and shifts or just drop them next to the tunnels and hope the gorges manage to build them.
    Now try to win with healspray only kills on marines and spit kills on structures.
    SmashIT wrote: »
    I have tried to get some pubs to pull of a "whack a mole" play with me but have failed to pull it off so far.

So for Whack a mole, one of the aliens gorge and drop a tunnel the rest skulk pack towards marine start.
    The com can grab a couple of RT's and maybe upgrades shift hive drop a shift and crags and maybe whips.
    The skulk pack gorges and drops both tunnel ends at marine spawn trying to cover the whole floor then can jump around spitting and heal spraying. If the gorge from the hive can make it there alive it can drop a tunnel from the hive.
    With luck you will have at least 10 open tunnel entrances around marine start and can now commence to play whack a mole :D
    The com could echo in crags and shifts or just drop them next to the tunnels and hope the gorges manage to build them.
    Now try to win with healspray only kills on marines and spit kills on structures.
    I desperately want to try this. 10 people will be hard though. 2-5 might be possible.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

We tried this a little while back and it worked incredibly well. If I recall, our khamm marched 3 crags and 3 shifts into marine base (it was data core on summit). It was late enough in the game that we had just popped fades. he proceeded to put the structures randomly spread around the base, so wherever you went you were constantly getting healed and energy regen. Essentially we were able to win the game in one visit to the marine start with a couple of gorges, 2 fades, 1 lerk and some skulks. Think we may have lost a gorge and a skulk or two but I'm not sure about that. It was brutal :D
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Grenade Rush-

I have never seen this work effectivly... because honestly I don't think it really can. But right after grenades were added, our entire team ran to just outside the Alien hive (platform on biodome in this case) we then got power up in the hall, built an armory and just stood outside the base lobbing gas, cluster and pulse grenades in.

Ultimately we did a lot of damage and I think took the hive down eventually but we had to actually run in an shoot it after a while... but it took so long (like easily 4 minutes) they relocated to the top tech point. We ended up winning the round, but I think we just out skilled the other team, the grenade rush didn't play that big a role.
    Grenade Rush-

I have never seen this work effectivly... because honestly I don't think it really can. But right after grenades were added, our entire team ran to just outside the Alien hive (platform on biodome in this case) we then got power up in the hall, built an armory and just stood outside the base lobbing gas, cluster and pulse grenades in.

Ultimately we did a lot of damage and I think took the hive down eventually but we had to actually run in an shoot it after a while... but it took so long (like easily 4 minutes) they relocated to the top tech point. We ended up winning the round, but I think we just out skilled the other team, the grenade rush didn't play that big a role.

It is silly but darn hard. It is approved.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Havent seen it in a while but a 2 pronged gorge rush to both of marines' naturals. If you manage to get 4 gorges at each rt, you can easily trap marines in the base.

It's quite amusing lol
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    play with me more often that shit happens daily bro
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    joshhh wrote: »
    Havent seen it in a while but a 2 pronged gorge rush to both of marines' naturals. If you manage to get 4 gorges at each rt, you can easily trap marines in the base.

It's quite amusing lol

Try it on Caged :)
    Though, at the junctions before the marine naturals.

• Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Got another one, this one isn't that silly, but it worked a treat in Refinery.
    Marine start was Containment. Aliens built a gorge tunnel just outside around where the lava is (corner of the walkway just outside of Containment (from the Lava side). The Khamm spammed all support structures (crag, shade, shift, and whips). With 2 gorges healing everything, and skulks constantly streaming in, we couldn't get rid of the threat. Could not hold Chasm, we got cut off when trying to get to containment. Managed to get Pipeworks, but the damn tunnel means aliens are constantly there. Even with grenades researched, we couldn't take the tunnel down. Eventually, they wore us down and won.

This might work even if marines didn't start in containment, as Lava Falls has 2 res nodes and is a central location on the map.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Haven't done this myself, but watched in awe at it happening on a team I was on.

24 player server, 3-4 gorges with apparently some sort of mumble chat, from the get go, start dropping tunnels. As a team, they would rush, heal and tunnel, sometimes people would notice and help, if not, who cares, I've got 3 other gorges healing me and a way back home to the hive.

Without the benefit of 'other team map' the Marines probably thought these peeps were wasting time and res, but they lost no gorges and kept placing tunnels ALL game, right in the tech points too.

Never seen it again, I'm pretty sure they were good people smurfing and trying some strats, it was just so effective on the 24 player server I was amazed.

• OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    edited February 2014
    "turret to cover a turret. Thats new. may be you can make a turret farm circle and make it impossible to assault without bile :-) "

SHHHSHSHSHSHSHSHShSHShShShShSssHhshshssshshhhhhhhhhh !
    joshhh wrote: »

It's quite amusing lol

done that organically before. when the better players just decided to gorge it up for a round. 6 hydras with spit are pretty brutal.
    "turret to cover a turret. Thats new. may be you can make a turret farm circle and make it impossible to assault without bile :-) "

SHHHSHSHSHSHSHSHShSHShShShShSssHhshshssshshhhhhhhhhh !

triangle is pretty hard to assault as is with skulks. but waste of turret power, I prefer a line on a wall.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    Put a phase gate in a doorway with a good line of sight in both directions. Put a battery in each room for 6 turrets to guard the gate, and each other.
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm always a fan of the good old lerk rush. Nothing beats a flock of lerks flying as a group around the whole map.
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    Mouse wrote: »
    Turret Rush
    1. Build a robo factory in base
    2. Send everyone to the hive (ideally the long way, to avoid most of the skulks)
    3. Set up turrets in a spot with LoS to the hive
    4. Protect the turrets until they take the hive down

This works really well on docking since you can put turrets in stability just outside of generator and then a second set just inside the doorway and let your marine wail on the hive. I think you can do it in junction-departures and ball court-lockers, but not to nearly the same effect.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Turret Rush
    2. Send everyone to the hive (ideally the long way, to avoid most of the skulks)

This works really well on docking since you can put turrets in stability just outside of generator and then a second set just inside the doorway and let your marine wail on the hive. I think you can do it in junction-departures and ball court-lockers, but not to nearly the same effect.
    Turret Rush

You can do something similar in the middle of Jambi. The area controlled by the Security power node extends into the nearby hallway, just a bit. So, you can put a turret factory on one side of the wall and have its turrets on the other side. Perhaps with an additional set of turrets right in front of them.

116631CAFCF7DB1EC52E126457EF6260AC76638C

60B58297F1B864E01CE8CBBD9BE25703AC7D171B