NS2 Linux vs Windows Server Performance?

zer02zer02 Join Date: 2013-08-06 Member: 186590Members
Hello,
I was asking myself, if there are any performance differences between Linux and Windows as OS for a NS2 Server?
Futhermore I am running as CPU: Intel E3-1240v3@3,8Ghz. Which should be one of the best single threaded CPU´s looking at this benchmark cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E3-1240+v3+%40+3.40GHz&id=1952.
Thank you!

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    Ok this is more a question of your personal skill and stability:

If you are used to linux and have enought knowlegde you can get alot more out it and therefore the linux ns2 servers performs better than a windows one if set up right.

But ns2 still has some issues at linux and therefor the server stability at windows is better.

So the question you have to ask yourself: Am I capable of maintaining a linux server with all his issues? Surely it's easier to host a windows server if you are not used to linux.
  • zer02zer02 Join Date: 2013-08-06 Member: 186590Members
    I have 3 years experience with linux root servers, would be ok for me. It just about which runs more stable and has more performance. What kind of stability issues does linux have? Should I use windows on it then?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    zer02 wrote: »
    I have 3 years experience with linux root servers, would be ok for me. It just about which runs more stable and has more performance. What kind of stability issues does linux have? Should I use windows on it then?

At the current build linux ns2 server software crashs sometimes because of corrupted stacks. Win has also this issue, but more rarely. Also ns2 memory managment is not the best, so to avoid to run out of memory you should restart servers daily and provide at least 2 GB Ram for each.

Over all linux needs a bit more optimization work to get the server up. But if you are used to linux root ns2 shouldn't be a problem for you.
  • zer02zer02 Join Date: 2013-08-06 Member: 186590Members
    Alright, I use windows then if linux is still too unstable. Thanks again Ghoul.
    edited December 2013
    Good Luck. If you have any issues best open a thread in tech support section, more "linux guys" are around there ;). If you have any issues with the configuration ask other server admin (most are quiet friendly) and also have a look at the wiki: http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Dedicated_Server