Sub-marine HUD ? Ideas and inpiration thread

ErathicErathic web@erathic.com Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190193Members
Hey there, do you think Subnautica subs should feature some kind of Futuristic HUD ? Something similar to spaceship or mech cockpits ?
Should it feels realistic, or very arcady ?

Also i'm not a dev, just a passionate UI designer, I did found Subnautica by reading the news, and the very first question that comes to my mind, was " what the subs HUD will looks like ? "
I did not found much informations documenting Submarines or other underwater transportation HUD and overall UI in other games or in real life, that's make the thing very interessting !

Feel free to drop your ideas and toughts about this !

Comments

• shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    It's supposed to be an open world exploration. So probably very realistic/minimalistic. (Spell check says minimalistic is spelled wrong but that's right.)
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    We barely even know what kind of game it's going to be, let alone what time it takes place in and what the story is.
  • ErathicErathic web@erathic.com Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190193Members
    In one of the concept art we can see some kind of minimal but very futuristic (and almost cartoony) UI and interior :

ControlRoom1.jpg

It features holographic displays and a very "spaceship" look and feel.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I'd love to see your idea of what a submarine HUD would like like, @Erathic!
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Erathic wrote: »
    Hey there, do you think Subnautica subs should feature some kind of Futuristic HUD ? Something similar to spaceship or mech cockpits ?
    Should it feels realistic, or very arcady ?

Also i'm not a dev, just a passionate UI designer, I did found Subnautica by reading the news, and the very first question that comes to my mind, was " what the subs HUD will looks like ? "
    I did not found much informations documenting Submarines or other underwater transportation HUD and overall UI in other games or in real life, that's make the thing very interessting !

Feel free to drop your ideas and toughts about this !
    Erathic wrote: »
    I did found Subnautica by reading the news

The word spreads!!

On topic, I think the SC HUD looked pretty cool, and could easily fit for a sub, too. Although it probably displays way more information than we need.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13402-Inside-CIG-Developing-The-HUD
  • ErathicErathic web@erathic.com Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190193Members
    On topic, I think the SC HUD looked pretty cool, and could easily fit for a sub, too. Although it probably displays way more information than we need.
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13402-Inside-CIG-Developing-The-HUD

Awesome thanks for sharing ! Those HUD looks gorgeous and so immersive ! The customization part is very interesting too, also good to see that we sharing are the same design process and tools, Sketch > Ps > Ai > C4D , yay.

Hugh wrote: »
    I'd love to see your idea of what a submarine HUD would like like, @Erathic!
    Thanks for the reply ! For now i'm gathering ideas and inspirations, there's some interesting stuffs to dig on sonars and ballast systems interface designs. I'll draw some stuffs as soon as I have something :)

For now, by reading the concept art I'm guessing and imagining the following informations that might be useful to display to the player, completely innacurate since I have no idea of what the gameplay is, and if the game is closer to a simulation or a more casual experience. But whatever, here's some ideas :

Navigation /exploration interface :

Current depth : Useful if submarines have different types that can only dive to a certain depth ?

Pressure level : If reaching very low depth with a "light" sub the pressure can start to compress it and even destroy it, the sub start to cracks and you can hear the metal distord arround you. eeeewwww!

Current speed : A default information in any vehicule.

Auto-pilot status : thats interesting ! Maybe there's a map on wich you can place waypoints then ?

Proximity sonar / scanner no sonar, no sub. Translated in some kind of mini-map, also detecting incoming projectiles and creatures heat signature.

Oxygen level How long you can dive.

Temperature Another concept is featuring lava, so maybe temperature can harm or alter sub functions.

Combat inteface :

well the common stuffs here, missiles and stuffs, lock-on and others aiming systems, shield device maybe.

PS : Excuse my english i'm French :/
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Your english is perfectly fine
  • SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
    Since we're piloting a sub, why not go for a virtual cockpit to begin with? Have the "straight ahead" view display only the neccessary information, like depth, speed, bearing, hull/damage and weapon/tool/ammo. If there is a sonar, it should be visible in the central hud, too. Then you could have the pilot look to his/her right/left to see (and manipulate) more detailed information like cargo (possibility to eject to make sub lighter), energy distribution to sub-system (engines, life-support, sonar, weapons, ?), a map, etc.
  • GigagashGigagash Finland Join Date: 2013-12-17 Member: 190225Members
    I myself would prefer a futuristic styled HUD. But everyone have their preferences.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I want to see early-on huds be more retro. As you upgrade tech, it could become more futuristic.
  • willow512willow512 Netherlands Join Date: 2013-12-17 Member: 190203Members
    I'd like to see minimalistic huds when moving about in the game, possibly none at all. It should not hide the surroundings. As a diver all you need is depth compas and oxygen. You could put those on the wrist and then show them only at the push of a button when the diver looks at it's wrist.

Similar to the controls in Arma III, there they only show some very basic stuff on the hud.

But obviously more complex gui will be required to structure the base and gain insight into what's going on.
  • b1.seb1.se Stockholm, Sweden Join Date: 2012-09-17 Member: 159734Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    20ab.png

Minimal HUD 100% for a more immersive experience. Screenshot from Oblivion, helicopter, but upgradeable HUD/techtree's for the SUB +1
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would like upgrades for the hud as well. So in the beginning you might have an old submarine without a hud but just a old school dashboard. Later on an advanced hud that only shows what you need to know at that moment.
  • TzudroTzudro Miami, FL Join Date: 2013-12-31 Member: 191181Members
    I think the initial HUD should be old fashioned, affixed to the screen of the vessel. As you upgrade your sub, it can become more advanced, like having a digital floating HUB that doesn't require you to be right in front of the main screen.

When you're not in the cockpit, maybe you have a wrist mounted screen that you can glance at to get info. Later you can walk around your vessel, and with the press of a button, you can bring up a chest mounted projector that displays the information before your eyes, no matter where in the vessel you are.

Same for when you're diving. Initially, it's mounted on a wrist display you have to look at. Later you can have it be a holographic display that hovers before your face.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    I agree with the "upgrading the HUD" idea, however it seems to me to be quite a gimmick, something that would work well if there is enough time/ energy etc. for such a thing. I think a minimalist hud (futuristic) would be best if there can't be an "upgrade-able" hud mechanic.
  • NebuscelousNebuscelous Earth Join Date: 2014-01-03 Member: 191730Members
    I would love to see a customizable HUD, similar to a computer desktop. The player could choose from and upgrade to different themes, and choose which information is displayed, and where onscreen to display them.

I also think a third person view would be a very important option, as it allows players to admire their customizations, and allows for wider panoramic views. It would be nice to have the option of switching between 1st and 3rd person views.

Just my preference.
  • zbott105zbott105 Join Date: 2017-01-02 Member: 225902Members
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members