[SOLVED][Ubuntu 13.10] Error: Couldn't initialize the render device.

android4682android4682 The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-12-03 Member: 189714Members
edited December 2013 in Technical Support
Bought the game NS2 but I can't start the game on my Ubuntu 13.10 64 bit.
The log file says this:
Date: 12/03/13
Time: 17:09:41:
--------------------------------------------------------------
Build 260
Ubuntu 13.10 x86_64
Steam initialized
Num displays: 1
Error: OpenGL version 3.1 is required
Error: Couldn't initialize the render device.

I download some packages (mesa-utils and mesa-utils:i386 because I read online that that had opengl) but this didn't fix the problem.
Here is my sysinfo

How can I install the right opengl or get this game to work on another way?

Thanks,
Android

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    mesa (OpenGl 2) is not supported yet, i heard the devs are working on it. What is your graphic card?
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Howdy, the problem you have is that you don't have the nvidia binary driers installed.

Ubuntu publishes instructions on doing it here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Valve

The open source drivers do not support the context needed for ns2 (3.1 compatability)

If you run into other issues check out the linux guide i put together
  • android4682android4682 The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-12-03 Member: 189714Members
    Confused wrote: »
    Howdy, the problem you have is that you don't have the nvidia binary driers installed.

Ubuntu publishes instructions on doing it here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Valve

The open source drivers do not support the context needed for ns2 (3.1 compatability)

If you run into other issues check out the linux guide i put together

There is no "Additional Hardware Drivers" button in my system settings.
    The strange thing is Garry's Mod and Team Fortress 2 works perfect without any problems.

So what do I do now?
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2013
    TF2 and Garys mod should run on an older version of opengl. ns2 requires 3.1 compatibility. Amusingly, the Mesa drivers don't support 3.1 compatibility only 3.1 core.

You have two choices you can do :
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-319

or to go to : http://www.geforce.com/drivers
    and download the driver. It's not terrible to install.

Edit: I Should mention taht in case you are reading this in 9 months you can install nvidia-current to get the latest instead of 319
  • android4682android4682 The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-12-03 Member: 189714Members
    TF2 and Garys mod should run on an older version of opengl. ns2 requires 3.1 compatibility. Amusingly, the Mesa drivers don't support 3.1 compatibility only 3.1 core.

Edit: I Should mention taht in case you are reading this in 9 months you can install nvidia-current to get the latest instead of 319

Ok I'm installing nvidia-319 I hope this helps. I will keep you all up to date until it works :)

Great my lightdm is crashing after login :/ I was able to uninstall the nvidia-319 driver and then I my lightdm works again.
    I will try to install the current via terminal and if that doesn't work I will try to install via the nvidia site.
  • abelthorneabelthorne Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187171Members
    edited December 2013
    That's quite odd that the extra drivers tool doesn't see any available drivers, as if your GPU wasn't supported by the drivers available (which would explain why your session crashes when you force the installation). It looks like that though sysinfo only displays the nVidia GPU, yours is an Intel/nVidia hybrid, thus needing you to use Bumblebee or such.

I'd advise you to look for up to date doc to handle this kind of GPU (you can start there but I'm not sure it's up to date: http://askubuntu.com/questions/163740/nvidia-geforce-610m-driver-download-and-installation − better ask on the Ubuntu forums as, though I've never had to deal with this kind of setup, I know that handling of these GPUs has changed a bit in recent Ubuntu versions).

Ok I'm installing nvidia-319 I hope this helps. I will keep you all up to date until it works :)

Ok all those nvidia drivers will crash my lighdm.
    abelthorne wrote: »
    That's quite odd that the extra drivers tool doesn't see any available drivers, as if your GPU wasn't supported by the drivers available (which would explain why your session crashes when you force the installation). It looks like that though sysinfo only displays the nVidia GPU, yours is an Intel/nVidia hybrid, thus needing you to use Bumblebee or such.

I'd advise you to look for up to date doc to handle this kind of GPU (you can start there but I'm not sure it's up to date: http://askubuntu.com/questions/163740/nvidia-geforce-610m-driver-download-and-installation − better ask on the Ubuntu forums as, though I've never had to deal with this kind of setup, I know that handling of these GPUs has changed a bit in recent Ubuntu versions).

Ok I will try Bumblebee. I wil do this tommorow (I live in the netherlands it's night here)
    abelthorne wrote: »

I installed Bumblebee and my lightdm didn't crash but NS2 still doesn't launch.
    The log file said exactly the same as in the beginning.

So what do I do next?
    ahh, so be default you still get the integrated card. you will need to use primusrun/optirun to get it to use the other card.

try these instructions: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6316-GJKC-7437

edited December 2013
    ahh, so be default you still get the integrated card. you will need to use primusrun/optirun to get it to use the other card.

try these instructions: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6316-GJKC-7437

Hmm when I run "primusrun glxspheres" like the page said, the outcome is this:
    /usr/bin/primusrun: line 52: exec: glxspheres: has not been found

(Btw I translated it to Engels because I have a dutch system)

I presume this isn't good.

And when I run "glxspheres" in the terminal I get:
    glxspheres: command not found

When I try to install the bumblebee things via:
    sudo apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia primus linux-headers-generic

I get the message that there are no update's avalible.

So what now?
  • ViVnetViVnet Join Date: 2004-05-27 Member: 28947Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This means glxspheres isn't installed or it's not in your PATH.

Try glxgears, which is found in the mesa-utils package.

sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
    primusrun glxgears

You can launch NS2 with primusrun by right clicking on the game in Steam, selecting Properties, clicking Set Launch Options..., and entering:

primusrun %command%
    edited December 2013
    ViVnet wrote: »
    This means glxspheres isn't installed or it's not in your PATH.

Try glxgears, which is found in the mesa-utils package.

sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
    primusrun glxgears

You can launch NS2 with primusrun by right clicking on the game in Steam, selecting Properties, clicking Set Launch Options..., and entering:

primusrun %command%

Ok this "primusrun glxgears" worked.
    I'm gonna try putting "primusrun %command%" in the launch options.
    Btw does %command% needs to be replaced with something?
    Nvm it worked! Thanks all! :D
  • ViVnetViVnet Join Date: 2004-05-27 Member: 28947Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    %command% means to execute whatever is normally executed to run the game in Steam. So, we are prepending primusrun to that, which is something you'll have to do for every game or application that makes use of your nvidia graphics card.