[Linux] b262 doesn't start

Comments

• KatanaSwordfishKatanaSwordfish Join Date: 2009-09-17 Member: 68813Members
    So, upgrading to the beta AMD drivers now puts me into the same situation as abelthorne, booting to black screen. Left it running for a few minutes like that, maybe I should leave it on overnight and see if it makes progress compiling the shaders? Hmm..
    Date: 11/21/13
    Time: 18:33:39:
    Build 260
    Ubuntu 13.10 x86_64
    Steam initialized
    Num displays: 1
    OpenGL 4.3.12614 Compatibility Profile Context 13.25.18 initialized (ATI Technologies Inc. AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series)
    GLSL version 4.30
    ARB_texture_storage extension present
    Compiling 'renderer/Drawer.shader'
    Sound Device: default stereo
    Record Device: default
    Compiling 'renderer/DeferredShading.shader'
    Compiling 'renderer/LightVolume.shader'
    Compiling 'shaders/GUIBasic.surface_shader'

Regardless, I'm not complaining. Thanks a lot for the Linux support guys! 2013 was a huge year for linux (especially gaming on linux), and I think 2014 might be even better! :D
  • tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    that problem was already mentioned by me here -> http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/132941/linux-after-update-ns2-hangs-with-a-black-screen-while-hogging-my-cpu

After b260 I can see the 'Loading' icon but that's about it.
  • abelthorneabelthorne Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187171Members
    edited November 2013
    misk wrote: »
    Same here. Does anyone even managed to run NS2 on any build on any distro with any driver and any AMD GPU?
    I do. Could run it when it came out (would be on Ubuntu 13.04; not sure with which version of Catalyst − 13.2 I think. Find my other posts if you want more accurate details). But there were two problems:
    1) The game wouldn't start on non-US systems unless an env var was set because of a problem with separators in LUA scripts (that was my case, as I have a system in french).
    2) the game had really bad perfs (about 7 fps; only tried training mode).

The "not starting at all" issue appeared for me with build 258 as it was released just after I switched to Ubuntu 13.10 and it seems related to the 13.11 beta Catalyst drivers (and previous stable driver seems to be uninstallable on Ubuntu 13.10 because of the kernel version).
    Not sure the devs can fix it as it may be a bug on AMD's side and we may have to wait for a fixed driver.
    tuxator wrote: »
    After b260 I can see the 'Loading' icon but that's about it.
    Yeah, I had the loading screen when testing yesterday but I sometimes had it too with b258-259 randomly so I'm not sure there's really a change here or if it was just luck.
    there is a new AMD driver..could someone please test and report if NS2 runs? -> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTUyMzI

I can't reboot my PC at the moment, so someone else will've to test it ;).
    Problem still present with Catalyst 13.11 beta 9.4.
  • iamoverratediamoverrated USA Join Date: 2013-11-25 Member: 189562Members
    abelthorne wrote: »
    Problem still present with Catalyst 13.11 beta 9.4.

I can confirm this as well. If not for getting into bitcoin mining, I would've never considered an AMD GPU. This is getting on my last nerve and seems to be a constant reminder of why I should've bought Nvidia.
  • DominationDomination San Antonio, Tx Join Date: 2013-11-28 Member: 189609Members
    I HAD the same problem but have discovered that this problem seems to exist when installing catalyst drivers 13.10 and later. I can play the game pretty flawlessly using catalyst 13.8 beta2 drivers and have been for several months now. I always check if the new drivers have this issue fixed but this hasn't been the case yet. So if you wish to play anything at this point I suggest just sticking to the beta 13.8 drivers for now. If you can't find them online (you should be able to, AMD usually keeps them archived on their site you just have to look around) I can send them to you.

Hope this helps! :)

My System:

CPU: AMD FX-8350
    Memory: Corsair 16gb
    Video: AMD Radeon HD 7850
    Still the same with b261 (but now we have a nice background picture to look at on the stuck loading screen).

Any info from the devs? Has the problem been identified as a NS2 or AMD bug? In the latter case, has it been reported to AMD?
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    I last talked to max about it last week. Word was they were looking into it but with no ETA on a fix.

Sorry, you gotta keep waiting it out or downgrade to the working driver.
    Still the same with b262.
    @Confused could we get some informations if this is still being worked upon and maybe a status (for example 'we located the bug and just need some time to implement it' or 'yeah, well...it's AMD's fault, we can't fix it')?
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    @tuxator, I will see who I can track down about it and the other big linux bugs

edited December 2013
    Looks like AMD released new stable drivers yesterday (13.12). Will try them tomorrow but the friend that told me they were out also said that he gets a black screen after system login on Ubuntu 13.10...

Anybody tried them?
  • murraymurray Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175880Members, NS2 Playtester, Pistachionauts
    abelthorne wrote: »
    Looks like AMD released new stable drivers yesterday (13.12). Will try them tomorrow but the friend that told me they were out also said that he gets a black screen after system login on Ubuntu 13.10...

Anybody tried them?

I tried the new drivers. The game still doesnt work. I get a black screen with the message "Loading" in the bottom right of the screen and nothing happens.
    $ cat .config/Natural\ Selection\ 2/log.txt

Date: 12/21/2013
    Time: 10:30:36 AM:
    Build 262
    Arch Linux x86_64
    Steam initialized
    Num displays: 2
    OpenGL 4.3.12618 Compatibility Profile Context 12.10.17 initialized (ATI Technologies Inc. AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series )
    GLSL version 4.30
    ARB_texture_storage extension present
    Sound Device: default stereo
    Record Device: default
    Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
    Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
    Loading config://HistoryServers.json
    Compiling 'shaders/Model.surface_shader'
    Ok. I just tried them but I had the black screen issue when logging I mentionned above. Seems related to the Unity DE so testing on Ubuntu is a bit tricky. Glad you could make a quick test on Arch. Less glad the game still doesn't work with these stable drivers... :-/
  • SvenstaroSvenstaro Germany Join Date: 2013-12-13 Member: 190041Members
    In case you guys haven't seen the other thread, the problem is actually related to stable kernel 3.12 which apparently the devs haven't bothered to test. We need to wait on them to fix this problem. Until then, run the linux-lts kernel.
    edited December 2013
    Do you have a link to that other thread? Do you mean that one: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2175219/ ?
    Are you sure the problem is the same? The thread seems related to crashes when the game wants to optimize stuff (and the original poster has a nVidia card) but in my case, the game doesn't even start, it stays stuck on the loading screen. Also, I'm running a 3.11 kernel.
  • murraymurray Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175880Members, NS2 Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I just tried several kernel vesions on Arch Linux. I have the same issue with version 3.11.x, 3.10.x and 3.8.x in combination with the amd driver 13.12. So downgrading the kernel doesnt help here at least for me.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Anyone tried the 13.11 beta 9.95 that were released yesterday? There are not a lot of fixes in this version (the main change is the official compatibility with SteamOS) so I don't expect any change with NS2 but just in case...

Also, any news from the devs regarding this issue?
  • ZukerSFMZukerSFM Ukraine Join Date: 2013-12-06 Member: 189863Members
    @abelthorne tried the beta, but no luck.
    The same issue:
    Compiling 'renderer/LightVolume.shader'
    Compiling 'shaders/GUIBasic.surface_shader'

and stuck.
  • os2firefoxos2firefox Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185624Members
    new driver released... anyone know if it makes a difference with the 3.12 kernels?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTU3MTE
    AMD Catalyst fglrx 13.30 RC3
    The 3.12 kernel bug should be a separate issue from the AMD cards seem to hang while compiling shaders bug.

If it helps though let me know and I will pass it on to max.
    edited January 2014
    AFAIK, this new driver only adds support for some AMD's APUs, nothing new for GPUs.

Currently, we have the following drivers available:
    - 13.12 stable: don't work with Ubuntu and seem to have issues with other distros as well / no change for NS2
    - 13.11 beta 9.95 (which is more recent than 13.12): latest beta / no change for NS2
    - 13.30 RC3: apparently only for APUs (they don't appear in the GPU section on AMD's website) / haven't tested with NS2

I'm not confident enought to test this APU driver with my system (as I don't have one), so won't test unless it appears in the GPU section of the website.
    Still no infos from the devs?
  • houbenxhoubenx Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187766Members
    I have the same problem, I'm on the latest beta.

Stopped playing a couple of months back due to the number of bugs. Now I can't even start it.
    Last I heard they were still looking into it. This was Wednesday ish.

I also stumbled on to the steam for Linux repo on github the other day: any chance this bug applies?

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/2889

Basically steam in game overlay causes black screens and crashes. There is a similar bug tagged in AMD Drivers using elementry os.

Fingers crossed:)
    I don't think it's related. Besides, I don't have issues with some of the game listed (Mark of the Ninja, Darwinia, Uplink) so I guess the problem of Bilbo2 is kind of specific to his config. I have a crash problem related to the overlay with Awesomenauts, though.

Natural Selection 2 worked fine (well, at least it started, though performances were awful) when it was released on Linux. The current problem where it doesn't even start and gets stuck at loading appeared later. The main problem is that I don't know if it comes from an update of the game or an update of the ATI Catalyst driver (my migration from Ubuntu 13.04 to 13.10 and the new Catalyst happened at the same time an update for the game was released). And as ATI drivers are a total mess, it's not easy to test several versions.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    AMD + NS2 is currently a no go, this is an AMD driver bug.
    AMD has been made aware and we're currently waiting for a fix or UWE might have a workaround in the future
    Brian Number 1 C.
    somewhat annoyingly, Valve told us at Steam Dev Days that they fixed the AMD Linux problem in NS2 but weren't able to tell us exactly what the problem was at the time
    Brian Number 1 C.
    he said he was the only person in the world that was able to run NS2 in Linux on an AMD card because he patched the problem up himself locally, lulz
    Brian Number 1 C.
    he also said it was a problem with the driver

Max McGuire
    @asraniel I saw his presentation and they actually tested with NS2. He figured out what's wrong on AMD and submitted a bug to them

Beat (Asraniel) W.:
    during the steam dev days they showed of their opengl debugger
    and ns2 was apparently a test case by one of its developers
    and he found the amd bug because of it
    so he submitted it to amd
    Beat (Asraniel) W.
    but uwe also just got new amd cards, so they hope to work on a workaround in case amd does not fix it quickly
    Brian Number 1 C.
    we are going to get an AMD card on a linux machine soon so we can reproduce