sound_effect entity won't shut up!

BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
edited December 2013 in Mapping
I've got a sound_effect entity that is triggered by a button_emitter entity... problem is, it doesn't stop! It'll play once, and stop just fine, but if I go far enough away that it cuts off, then move back, it'll play again from the beginning. Is there something I need to change in the FMOD... thingy... or is this just something I'll have to either live with or scrap completely?

Edit: let me elaborate on my setup here: The sound entity is set to listen channel 1, and the message it's waiting for is "grindStart". The button emitter is set to emit channel 1, and the message is "grindStart".

Comments

• LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    you might need to put somthing in there to "stop" sound then ?
  • SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
    IIRC FMOD has different event types like single or loop. My guess (and just a guess, because I don't have it installed here atm) is that the problem might be there.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    And me the sound and I'll look at it in fmod. Need the fsb fev.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    sound effect entities dont store a start time, but they will be cleaned up by the server in case they are single shot sounds. the problem with not storing the start time can be easy seen as a spectator in overview mode: for example kill a hive, move to other side of map, move back to the dead hive position and the sound restarts again. once the sound entity becomes relevant again to the client it just restarts the sound, which is quite noticeable when you use very long sounds
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    Sewlek wrote: »
    sound effect entities dont store a start time, but they will be cleaned up by the server in case they are single shot sounds. the problem with not storing the start time can be easy seen as a spectator in overview mode: for example kill a hive, move to other side of map, move back to the dead hive position and the sound restarts again. once the sound entity becomes relevant again to the client it just restarts the sound, which is quite noticeable when you use very long sounds

@Sewlek But if you wait around for the entire sound to finish, it should be gone for good, right? Well in my map even if I wait for the sound to finish, if I look away (commander view) then look back, it'll start playing all over again :(.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    The time at which the sound effect is no longer audible is not necessarily the time at which the audio file ends. It might have some silence recorded after the sound as well.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    CrushaK wrote: »
    The time at which the sound effect is no longer audible is not necessarily the time at which the audio file ends. It might have some silence recorded after the sound as well.

I made the sound file. It ends about a second after it's inaudible. I waited at least 5 just to be certain.