Banning players from the NS2WC

Comments

• ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    edited November 2013
    Jekt wrote: »
    There most certainly is an excuse. When a game has absolutley zero anti cheat measures while at the same time trying to be competitive. What choice does a player, or an admin of NS2 competitive play for that matter have to confirm or deny any suspicions.

Your reasoning and threat is just as ridiculous as this decision, @Gisp.

What are you talking about zero anti cheat measures? There is VAC, consistency checks, and a spectator mode. This game would be unplayable if it didn't have some basic anticheats like the ones that are in place. And the people that bypass these barriers put in place would bypass anything with time, so to try and sit here and say how easy it is to get by them is silly. They will stop the majority of the cheaters.

Reminds me of when I pirated COD4 years and years ago before Steam changed my ways. You had no choice but to play on unsecure pirated servers without punkbuster. Almost every server had a handful of cheaters using some ridiculously obvious autoaim bot or speed hacks. I eventually bought the full version and played on legit servers with punkbuster and the experience was much better and I never noticed a hacker again. Does that mean punkbuster is some godly anticheat system? No, but it stops a lot of obvious hacks that would otherwise ruin the game for a lot of people.

And good on whoever banned him, especially if the VAC ban was recent. I don't care what excuse anyone has for hacking, there should be zero tolerance for it, especially in a competitive gaming scene of all places. Allowing him into the event at this point would be a nightmare. All the focus and discussion would be on monitoring an alleged cheater. That's not what you want a large event like this to be about.

And then the people buying his excuse that he installed cheats to catch cheaters? Come on, that is worse than the "my little brother did it" excuse, lmao.

NtSzO5n.jpg
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Anzestral wrote: »
    E2EpbEw.png
    The World Cup rules didn't say anything regarding VAC banned players not allowed to partake in the tournament, or banned players overall.
    There's proof out there that shows he's clean and has not been cheating in any way.
    He's offered to prove he's clean in numerous of ways, regardless how it might reflect on his performance.

Your decisions & thoughts on this matter -admins-, is simply pathetic.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    *I need to learn to articulate my posts without being insulting --Comprox*

EDIT: Worth it. The guy was practically begging for it.
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2013
    tenderloin wrote: »
    The World Cup rules didn't say anything regarding VAC banned players not allowed to partake in the tournament, or banned players overall.

I actually though about writing exactly that with a reference to the official rules, but then decided to let the pic speak for itself...
    Thx for posting this tenderloin.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Agree with @xDragon it IS a community tournament, so the community should have a say in my opinion. Like has ALREADY been stated multiple times in this thread, this isn't some pro league where the winner takes home $1,000,000, it's just a small set of games that existing players can enjoy and be reminded why they like playing the game. If it gets some popularity because of it too then that's great, but really, it's just a small in-house thing, if the rules need to be bent because the circumstances are asking for it then they should be.
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2013
    @Ghosthree3 There is no rule that forbits cheating before the WC...
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    edited November 2013
    Perhaps the community has to create a petition

I reread the rules. I dont see any rule that can ban a player from the tournament before he did anything wrong during that said tournament. So this ban is against the tournament rules if i understand it correctly. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
  • StarchyStarchy Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15727Members, Constellation
    edited November 2013
    insult free forum, please - GISP
    Pretty sure he would because he didn't whitewall in this game.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited November 2013
    This is almost as bad as that "rofl hitreg" debacle.

Just let him play.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    gl_pcmip all over again.
  • SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
    As a sideline spectator with absolutely no horse in this race, I have to suggest Eissfeldt's proponents please stop using the "no true Scotsman" defense. It ruins credibility.
    I think the most influential argument being made here centers around the fact that this tournament is community based and that disagreements or policy disputes should be addressed from a community perspective. It's literally being funded by the people posting opinions in this thread.

Also, the xenophobia in this thread is roflcakes. Take a bath already.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    There most certainly is an excuse. When a game has absolutley zero anti cheat measures while at the same time trying to be competitive. What choice does a player, or an admin of NS2 competitive play for that matter have to confirm or deny any suspicions.

Your reasoning and threat is just as ridiculous as this decision, @Gisp.

What are you talking about zero anti cheat measures? There is VAC, consistency checks, and a spectator mode. This game would be unplayable if it didn't have some basic anticheats like the ones that are in place. And the people that bypass these barriers put in place would bypass anything with time, so to try and sit here and say how easy it is to get by them is silly. They will stop the majority of the cheaters.

blah blah blah blah

See: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/129668/hacking-cheating-and-ns2-anti-cheat/p1

I'm surprised that VAC was able to detect any Natural Selection 2 hack. However I guarantee you I could find, or someone could easily make a wallhack or aimbot that it couldn't. The consistency check system has been demonstrated to me to be useless, if someone has the knowledge to get around it, it isn't entirely complicated to do so.

As for the spectator mode, it's interesting that you bring that up. For starters it does a pretty good job of making anyone look like a cheater - due to it's unresponsiveness and choppiness due to the low update rate. Second, generally a first person demo is used in conjunction with a wireframe mode or wallhack so that comparisons and judgements can be made.

Ironically enough, if Eissfieldt streams every match. Which he has offered to do. He will be the one competing player that people can be certain isn't cheating. What does Titus ... I mean the NS2 WC admins say to that? @Zefram, @WasabiOne
    VAC definitely only started ban waving that cham hack in the last month. Because I KNOW people were still using it (for legit cheating purposes, I know, shocker) not that long ago.

@Jekt Update rates really need to get unlocked or pushed up, it's causing so many more issues than just spectator mode, but spec mode is pretty bad. Wireframe would be amazing, isn't there already a wireframe cheat in this game? Make it a spectator option with a hotkey, then no one will have to cham.

Also yeah, any new cham will go undetected for another 12 months if it gets released. VAC hasn't exactly been fast to respond in this game.
  • JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
    Bicsum wrote: »
    He should wear this, if he makes it to cologne, lol:
    4286916536.jpg

lol ;P

someone else: "Hey, i know that voice... is that you eissfeldt ?"
    eissfeldt: "ah... hm... no, i am... i am... i am mr. incognito... incognito is my nickname!" (or something like that)

would be hilarious.
    But my incognito nickname is already Incognito. Damn, I just spoiled it ;(
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    fanatic wrote: »
    I'll clarify for those who don't know the details of what happened: Eissfeldt downloaded and used a wallhack to spectate a player he suspected might be wallhacking, in order to obtain proof. About a week later, he received an automatic VAC ban on his steam account. Let me be very clear on this: No-one has ever seen Eissfeldt cheating, nor has anyone ever accused him of cheating. The fact that he got VAC banned is almost proof in itself that he didn't use a hack to cheat -- no one who knows anything about hacking would ever use a wallhack that is old enough to get detected by VAC. For this, he has been told that he will not be allowed to participate in the NS2WC no matter the circumstances.

Players and tournament admins have been using wallhacks to catch cheaters since NS1. It is the only way to reliably detect and prove that someone is wallhacking. If having had a wallhack installed is grounds for banning someone, I should've been banned 10 years ago, and so should dozens of other players who have never cheated in an actual match a single time in their lives -- their only crime having been attempting to prevent hackers from ruining this game.

But... "installed" leads to doubts, doubts leads to stories, stories leads to fù*ked up games.

Especially at this level; players should be the cleanest of them all. To avoid this very story here. This is also meaning that players install cheats to detect cheats on suspicious other player, that install cheats... it nevers ends.

This behavior also induce the fact that players do not trust admins... This should have been the first action to take if one suspect another player: Talk to the admins. If a player is suspected, admin should be aware of it and so they will be able to verify and take action. This is their job.

This evolve in the end as a "bad climate".

The proper way to do anti wall-hack cheat stuff would be the "uploaded client screen-shot" which shouldn't be difficult to do for a game like this.
    -Screen-shot if a common technology
    -Admin on server can trigger it so the client upload the picture.
    -A standard Jpeg less than 100kb is far big enough to see things. The file size can easily be handled by any ADSL connection.

Yes we don't have it. But it would be better than installing cheats isn't it ?

Please someone, make a mod!!! This kind of game needs it terribly (can help for some details).
    fanatic wrote: »
    Consider someone who stops a thief, takes the stolen goods from the thief, and goes back to the store to return it, only to be arrested for stealing because he was carrying stolen goods. It is obvious to anyone that this is a perversion of justice; abusing rules to punish desirable actions.

Still; cops have means to retrace story with the store clerk isn't it ?

The worst with this story is that; you as me as other will suffer accusations, bans and stuff on public servers. The server list was already thin lately... pff, i'm gonna go gorge for a month now...

@all
    If you like the game don't spoil it. Any action have consequences.
    edited November 2013
    its ns2-world-championship-rules vs humanity

ns2 wc rule: if you cheat and get caught you cant participate on the ns2 wc.
    humanity: he did never cheat & will never cheat as we know (he has the skill).
    edited November 2013
    The proper way to do anti wall-hack cheat stuff would be the "uploaded client screen-shot" which shouldn't be difficult to do for a game like this.
    -Screen-shot if a common technology
    -Admin on server can trigger it so the client upload the picture.
    -A standard Jpeg less than 100kb is far big enough to see things. The file size can easily be handled by any ADSL connection.

Yes we don't have it. But it would be better than installing cheats isn't it ?

Please someone, make a mod!!! This kind of game needs it terribly (can help for some details).

Please no, my poor Australian 1mbit upload would lag me to hell uploading images mid game. If only for a moment, I'd still be at 300 ping when I'm normally 30.

Joseppe wrote: »
    ns2 wc rule: if you cheat and get caught you cant participate on the ns2 wc.

Point invalid, it's not a rule. That is, cheating in games other than the wc tournament ones.
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Point invalid, it's not a rule. That is, cheating in games other than the wc tournament ones.

Ok, then eissfeldt should be able to participate on the ns2 wc.
    If there is / was no clear rule, he should be able.

• turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    If he's already lanproven (?), streams constantly, and hasn't had a single competitive player believe he's suspicious, I don't see why he shouldn't be able to play.
    Joseppe wrote: »
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

Ok, then eissfeldt should be able to participate on the ns2 wc.
    If there is / was no clear rule, he should be able.

Double checked it, the only mention of cheating is 11. b (here ns2wc.com/?page_id=2102) which says "Players may not cheat" (lol). These rules are for the tournament only, and since it hasn't even started he cannot have cheated yet. He has broken no rules.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    edited November 2013

See: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/129668/hacking-cheating-and-ns2-anti-cheat/p1

However I guarantee you I could find, or someone could easily make a wallhack or aimbot that it couldn't.

What's your point? This can be said about every game on the market with a capable programmer. My point was to debunk the fud you posted about this game having zero anti cheat measures when in actuality it has a few to deter most. Sure they can be better, but what we have right now is better than nothing, especially for an indie developer like UWE. I just find it funny you're talking about how this game has zero anti cheat measures, but this damn topic is about a person that used hacks and got banned. That is the definition of irony.
This discussion has been closed.