NSL Season 3 Grand Final - Premier Division - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited November 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageNSL Season 3 Grand Final - Premier Division - Natural Selection 2

Season 3 of the Natural Selection League is drawing to an epic conclusion, with a premier division Grand Final that will see the sister republics face off across the Atlantic: Legendary Snails, of France vs Titus Gaming, of the United States*. Opening shots have already been fired. President Hollande has told the French team that anything less than total victory will be très embarrassante, and result in them being tied to the top of la tour eiffel for tourists to gawk at. President Obama has warned Titus that should they fail to win for Uncle Sam, he will force the entire team to hand wash the entire fuselage of Air Force One, twice. Both countries are tearing down their …

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Alright chaps. Who's going to win this thing?
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ahh, nothing like seeing a UTC time in the graphic
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2013
    Snails are a huge favorite to win, but given that Titus just pulled off the biggest upset since the ensl season 10 final in 2008, by beating Godar, it seems unwise to discount them.

This season is actually a first in ensl history. In eighteen seasons over 8 years, this is the first time the top seed from group play isn't playing in the final.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    I think I predicted a Snails 4-2 win but this game is so open with the lack of Archaea that it's just too tough to say with much confidence.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    I must have missed something back there in the OMFG-240-didn't-kill-it maturing phase, what happened to Archaea ?
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I must have missed something back there in the OMFG-240-didn't-kill-it maturing phase, what happened to Archaea ?

They disbanded over the summer. A couple of their players went to play for other teams, they tried bringing in some new players and it didn't work out
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I just want great games to watch :)
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2013
    We decided to take a summer break after the ensl season 2 final mid may. The plan was to maybe start playing again come fall. After the nations cup later that month, eagleye, ray and tane decided they wanted to play with their national teams rather than wait for Archaea to start playing again. We tried a comeback combo with Godar in august, but it didn't work out for a variety of reasons, and we ended up disbanding permanently.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    It's like yesterday I read these forums, and people were whining torment Archaea was dominating, and torment Archaea is making the game too boring and should be banhammered.

As for the topic, I have no clue but what kind of serial failure let Americans slip into ENSL prem finals?! Cmon guys, surely you can do better than that!

Also Fana, get some sleep, it's fucking bedtime.
  • blindblind Join Date: 2010-04-17 Member: 71437Members, Squad Five Gold
    American and european caster on board, gonna be totally unbiased (*).

(*) This statement is not garuanteed and can by no means result in any legal action, if not given.
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Like every other war, America will win. Go Titus!

Unless its just a police action.
  • JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
    edited November 2013
    4 unbalanced boring matches, nothing special to see... just boring.

right now i am happy to spend nothing on the world championship, could be the same kind of matches again... sorry to say this.
  • AconitAconit Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185502Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Told them to use ELO random !
    Damn unbalanced pub plays !

^^ GGs to both teams, however it was just sad games weren't more disputed...
  • xnorxnor Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187916Members, Reinforced - Gold
    xnor wrote: »
    Snails still OP.

• male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Would be nice if the players would record FPVOD's with OBS (Open Broadcast Software). I receive basically no performance drop from using it...
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Basically no performance drop is exactly basically no too much.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I haven't noticed ANY performance drop AT ALL when I use ShadowPlay. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else does.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Roobubba wrote: »
    I haven't noticed ANY performance drop AT ALL when I use ShadowPlay. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else does.

I hear the performance hit is in the 1-2 fps range, sadly it's nvidia specific so the budget amd players like myself can't use it.
  • herakl3sherakl3s Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75852Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Joseppe, what's funny is people who don't understand that the smallest things can change the outcome, innovation is what wins in ns2. We got dommd by the drifter packing play and developped the mine strat, in the same time aliens focused on the mid game onoses and Daamz came up with that cata rush to outskill aliens in the engagements and hunt the lerk/onos. It's not just about the kills, you have to take in account how each teams use totally different strats. It's just boring to keep hearing those naysayers calling top ns2 play uninteresting because they do not grasp the incredible deepness of NS gameplay. Wich is why every single player be him a total rookie or a premier top fade loves this game, and why it's so fun to watch the game when you understand it.
  • JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
    edited November 2013
    herakl3s wrote: »
    Joseppe, what's funny is people who don't understand that the smallest things can change the outcome, innovation is what wins in ns2. We got dommd by the drifter packing play and developped the mine strat, in the same time aliens focused on the mid game onoses and Daamz came up with that cata rush to outskill aliens in the engagements and hunt the lerk/onos. It's not just about the kills, you have to take in account how each teams use totally different strats. It's just boring to keep hearing those naysayers calling top ns2 play uninteresting because they do not grasp the incredible deepness of NS gameplay. Wich is why every single player be him a total rookie or a premier top fade loves this game, and why it's so fun to watch the game when you understand it.

of course there is / are:
    -skill
    -tactics (sneaky phase gates / killing the upgrades / ...)
    -ressource biting (extractors / harvesters)
    -timing / base rushes (is there an obs / are there mines) / counter rushes
    -research order (bile, leap, umbra or maybe whips at key positions vs pg or arms lab first, early shotguns ? ...)
    -teamplay (where is the enemy / what tech level does he have / do they have shotguns / 1 or 2 lerks / fade / onos / ...)
    -and much more & deeper thaughts behind all of this...

i understand - its really, really much behind "what we see", because we dont see the thaughts & teamchat behind all of this.

but in the END... its just boring to see a
    4 to 0
    ... no 2-2 tie with a last epic match / comeback.

sometimes its much more interessting to see less skilled teams playing a match with a more back & forth / not every bite-shot hits.
    btw: reminds me of the match in cologne between nexzil versus archea... was a 5 to 0 i believe... was "uninteresting / boring".

• AiorosAioros Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14850Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    herakl3s wrote: »

Most of this stuff is missed by the casters of the games. They dont see the little details and so the casual ns2 players will never notice this stuff.
    They should do a roundup about some of the final games and talk with ns2 commanders or players about this "replays" step by step.
    Like Day9 does.
    Casters also can improve in this stuff and need to practise on this like ns2 players do with practising ingame.
  • blindblind Join Date: 2010-04-17 Member: 71437Members, Squad Five Gold
    @Aioros If there would be a fitting replay system I'd analyse all games you want...it's pretty tough to bring in that deepness in just 2-5 seconds of life commentary before the next noticeable thing happens. Often times when I try to explain a certain move and talk about it 10 seconds or more, I just missed a lerk or fade or hive die etc ("AlwaysMissTheActionCaster" - remember?) ;)
    Just because you don't hear a 1-2 min roundup during livecast about a certain strategy, it doesn't necessarily mean they "don't see see the little details". A walkthrough after a match with a good replay function though, yup, that could help alot in explaining strategies.

But yeah, I love the deep strategy of premier play, it's a real beauty and joy to watch and see it unfold, but of course not everyone has "the same eye". If I'd watch LoL or Dota casts, I wouldn't be able to see anything but obvious kills as well, even if the casters mention deeper stuff. Such takes time, learning and self-practice.
    For me personally it was far from being a boring 4-0, it was rather seeing one team being innovative - like against Saunamen in Telford with their 1/1/1/1/1 opening - and their opponent unable to find a way to counter a fresh invented game plan. Obviously I don't mind watching epic 4-3's with both teams playing almost perfect, but you can't have that every day. And it was not a 4-0 roflstomp because of being heavily outskilled, you should give the players from Titus alot more credit than that. I'd say they got outplayed, and that's what I find joy in to see.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    blind wrote: »
    @Aioros If there would be a fitting replay system I'd analyse all games you want...it's pretty tough to bring in that deepness in just 2-5 seconds of life commentary before the next noticeable thing happens. Often times when I try to explain a certain move and talk about it 10 seconds or more, I just missed a lerk or fade or hive die etc ("AlwaysMissTheActionCaster" - remember?) ;)
    From the constructive NS2WC thread:
    Actually speaking of casting... at every major sports event there are always two casters: a play-by-play guy and a color commentary guy. The play-by-play guy reports the events that are occurring as they occur, while the color commentary talks about strategy and big-picture kind of stuff.
    It'd be interesting to see the color commentary guy still casting with the play-by-play guy, but doing his own camera work for a parallel stream.. or something.

blind wrote: »
    A walkthrough after a match with a good replay function though, yup, that could help alot in explaining strategies.
    +1

I'd even love to see a crappy replay function. Something using already available programs.
  • rayzourayzou Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184066Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    FFS, I'd love to record in game if it was interesting at some point. The fact there aren't any program able to convert the file into a viewable one is just too bad.

I don't see the point of recording in game since every single update makes it unviewable.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    I've tested recording with OBS and I get no significant performance drops. The problem is that without a demo system most of the FPVODs would be with all the settings to low... at least I don't know anyone playing comp that plays with all set to high :P
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    Could you guys not try FRAPS? My fps don't change much...Just upload it to YouTube later, like the great Scrajm.