ModBox Servers

HughHugh CameramanSan Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
G'day chaps,

At the moment, UWE servers are divided between public servers and servers provided to the NSL/AusNS2 leagues. There will soon be a pool of servers available to modders as well, which will be called the 'ModBox' group.

I'm looking for a dedicated group of modders who wish to serve as the admins for this server group. These admins will be able to decide which mods are put on the servers. These people should be friendly, and interested in putting lots of different mods on the machines, while catering to the most popular mods as well.

If you are interested, post up this thread.

Cheers

Hugh

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Wow, brilliant news. I don't have the time to contribute to this, but it is great to hear.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Great initiative!
    While I don't have loads of time to do on server admin duties I would like to think I have a good knowledge of custom maps and would be glad to help with the map selection process. I can create a list of suitable maps but it obviously depends on the standards you want to set. Almost all the custom maps worth playing are still in development in a variety of stages. You've got quite a large selection if the only requirement is for them to be (mostly) bug free and fun. But if its complete maps you're looking for you're pretty much limited to Jambi.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Good to hear mods are getting some lovin' Nice work. Finally some praise (I have frequented the forums a bit more lately and see alot of unwarranted negativity). Good on you UWE.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    I'm not a modder, but I'd be interested in doing this for an aussie 'ModBox' server. Are they new servers going up? Or a cannibalization of existing servers?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    I could volunteer for this if people are needed. This is brilliant
  • woodywoody SoCal Woody56 Join Date: 2004-02-14 Member: 26541Members
    What will the level a access be to the server? webadmins/ftp/tcadmin available ? What type of support when things get jacked ? Any restrictions wavers or TOS ? Details man details......Devil-is-in-the-Details-300x300.jpgthank you
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    woody wrote: »
    What will the level a access be to the server? webadmins/ftp/tcadmin available

Just multiplay (clanforge) servers, so thats pretty decent config setup and access to commands/stats.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    Admins should at least have ftp access, otherwise a modbox server doesn't make much sense.

Also if more ppl are needed,i am willing to volunteer. Would love to test some mod combos.
  • BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm interested alright, I'm currently running a server and have ran a few different mods over periods of time ..

The main issue I had at the time were the breakages .. 'when mods go bad!' ;) either untested changes getting published or updates breaking mods ..

Are there any metrics ;) number of servers, locations etc, size of group of ppl you're looking for?

hmm I'd suggest doing something similar for the UWE Official servers tbh .. just moderators.. I was on last night with one of the most racist players I've yet to encounter on the big bad interweb .. there was nothing to be done... use something like googledrive or something to push out lists of admins etc.

Regarding game mods too .. I'm sure this group would need the ability to stop/start and edit the server.txt files .. for running loads of mods, I'd also suggest having seperate config files aswell as individual server.txt files that could be swapped in and out

Admins should at least have ftp access, otherwise a modbox server doesn't make much sense.
    Balmark wrote: »
    Regarding game mods too .. I'm sure this group would need the ability to stop/start and edit the server.txt files .. for running loads of mods, I'd also suggest having seperate config files aswell as individual server.txt files that could be swapped in and out

UWE servers are Multiplay servers, so whoever is nominated to help out with these servers will probably have access through clanforge to all of that. (Start/stop/restart, all the configs, profile configuration(say you want to change over from 'vanilla ns2' configs to a factions config set, you can have them on seperate profiles, and switch between them), and data statistics.)
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    I know that I am butt hurt from valve screwing over community servers in cs:go as compared to cs:s but this change worries me. Here I am thinking that as time goes on UWE will reduce the number of servers they operate so that communities can add more and expand their player base. Instead we see what is basically an expansion and increased competition from the developers. Then if we were to add something like matchmaking, which would point to these UWE servers, and we have the perfect formula to kill off community servers. I am sure this is more to make it easier for the community to develop mods or something though. It just feels as though the existence of the UWE servers in general limits the growth of community servers.

On a somewhat related note, will we ever see server side demo recording!? Like hltv demos for example. This is the big thing holding back hacker detection in this game. If we had automated 24/7 demo recording it is easy as shit for admins to grab the demos and check for evidence when players are saying that player XYZ was hacking on the last map.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    @Zeroibis:

I see this as a posibility for mods and admins to test new mod combinations on a non local server. E.g. i would really want to try a vanilla, combat, faction meets shine crossover server. Yet i get a setup running on my local server but as i dont have the money and dont want to crash my normal Server i had no real chance to try this.

About a demo system, how many times did we ask for it in this forum? UWE already answered that we won't see that in the near future as i would cost alot of effort.
    See here for the most recent UWE comment on this: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2166625/#Comment_2166625
    Ah, although that is more about replay which is another monster program entirely. I do see them say that even implementing an improved spec system would be hard of which a demo recording back end would occur naturally. Well you can still dream, well if I win the lotto I can buy that 75K level and force them to add it rofl!

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Thanks for the responses so far. I'll get in contact with the people who have expressed interest. So far I think I have at least one mod in the Americas, Europe, and Oceania. A dedicated chatroom will also be provided for admins to co-ordinate their communications in.
    woody wrote: »
    What will the level a access be ...

Very valid question Woody. The access level is not 'full' - These are servers provided by Multiplay, and managed through the Clanforge interface. All necessary permissions are provided to allow in the installation of NS2 mods and custom maps. I cannot provide more technical details as I have not closely examined the system. The NSL use servers we provide through the same interface and have no issue running mods.
    ZEROibis wrote: »

I am at a total loss. Please don't hurt our morale by arguing that somehow we are hurting the NS2 community with this.
  • MaddokMaddok Seattle, WA Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8049Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    This is brilliant.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great idea, I hope this could revitalize some of the gamemodes that haven't seen much activity recently.

Also, while this idea may be hated by some, I think we could really draw in more players if we had a UWE supported official combat gamemode. A strong followup to the ns1 classic combat with a bunch of quick throwback maps and we could easily have an increase in the overall playerbase who might not be into the depth required for the classic ns2 gameplay.
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    This is interesting (finally some thought for the mods' developers); but I still think few things are missing :
    • Better forum mod segregation : distinguish Releases from Scripting help (did the suggestion long time ago)
    • Online API. Scripting Sourcemod, I keep using http://docs.sourcemod.net/api/ . The offline API isn't interesting (and people can't add comments for others). I know an offline doc generator (xml format), but meh... :/
    • A way to release the code. Reading code from someone by going through Steam workshop is repulsive (The workshop isn't even appealing; thought it is useful; like poor mods sorting...; you have to download the mod to see its code... lawl.). But I know this is more time consuming.

And please give SamusDroid the admin.

Red
    Hugh wrote: »
    I am at a total loss. Please don't hurt our morale by arguing that somehow we are hurting the NS2 community with this.

I am merely voicing my concerns.

Hopefully though this will get the problems with the workshop to hit closer to home. Just today I restarted a server 3 times from it being taken down from workshop mod availability problems.
  • RoflcopterV22RoflcopterV22 Arizona Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184616Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I'm interested if US-based admins are still required.
    I can't say I'm a professional modder, but I certainly would like to help create some chocolate servers! (Vanilla is good, but variety is better!)
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Interesting.. Considering how mod unfriendly the Multiplay clanforge system actually is.

There have been (and are) plenty of modded servers that have rarely been filled, why would these be any different?

And so I don't damage your motivation, I want mods to be played more. It should of been one of the major advantages of using Spark. But modders constantly having to update their work as builds broke them made certain that it was impossible for any bar Combat to gain any traction.

Constant workshop problems and general NS2 integration woes doesn't help either. Error 28, Error 16, Error 2, Server mod out of date, the mods list not having any sorting functions. I could go on.

Anyone play Faded? Had so much potential. Combat, MvM (outdated), and NS2:C are really the only 3 big completed gameplay mods that at least have some development still occurring. There's also Proving Grounds but I haven't really looked into that one or seen if it's playable.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Well the workshop issues many of you are mentioning is because the mod / map creator is updating what they are working on randomly. It happens to us on the SCC server a lot, however many of us now only update on sundays to limit the impact of this annoyance so it is managable.

As for seeding yes because of the modern age people are to impatient to seed servers it only takes 4 to 5 people (you should have more than this on your friends list!) then the server is normally full in less than 10 mins (SCC server here). One requirement for the server admins might be that the admins gather to seed the servers?

It wont take long for people to become regulars (should the server be fun!)

What would be the playcount of these servers?

It might be an idea for those with admin / control of these servers (really cool idea btw that I am 100% behind) that you should talk to the people whos mods / maps you will be putting on these servers and set some ground rules for them.

1, only update your mods / maps on a set day of the week... OR only update your mod / maps once you have spoken to one of the server admins who can restart the server immediatly post update to said mod / map (unless there are active players on the map in which case it does not matter as once the server changes levels everything is fixed anyway)

2, only add mods / maps that do not require a lot of constant updates in a short space of time, once a week would be fine so long as they follow rule 1

3, Rule 1 is absolute and must not be broken :D

I would to help to help out @hugh with this but so long as you dont need people online 24 / 7 :D
    edited November 2013
    Loki wrote: »
    Well the workshop issues many of you are mentioning is because the mod / map creator is updating what they are working on randomly. It happens to us on the SCC server a lot, however many of us now only update on sundays to limit the impact of this annoyance so it is managable.

As for seeding yes because of the modern age people are to impatient to seed servers it only takes 4 to 5 people (you should have more than this on your friends list!) then the server is normally full in less than 10 mins (SCC server here). One requirement for the server admins might be that the admins gather to seed the servers?

It wont take long for people to become regulars (should the server be fun!)

What would be the playcount of these servers?

It might be an idea for those with admin / control of these servers (really cool idea btw that I am 100% behind) that you should talk to the people whos mods / maps you will be putting on these servers and set some ground rules for them.

1, only update your mods / maps on a set day of the week... OR only update your mod / maps once you have spoken to one of the server admins who can restart the server immediatly post update to said mod / map (unless there are active players on the map in which case it does not matter as once the server changes levels everything is fixed anyway)

2, only add mods / maps that do not require a lot of constant updates in a short space of time, once a week would be fine so long as they follow rule 1

3, Rule 1 is absolute and must not be broken :D

I would to help to help out @hugh with this but so long as you dont need people online 24 / 7 :D

Or make sure server admins use this: https://github.com/Person8880/Shine/wiki/Workshop-Updater

Ofc more than one update daily should be avoided. But sometimes it just happens that you oversee a line (causing issues) before you publish your mod. In this case you have to push the hotfix out as fast as you can.
  • GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
    Do the admins need to be modders? Because while I have not made any mods, I do love mods and run an NS2 server of my own, which also hosts mod events quite often (so I am familiar with running mods on an NS2 server)
    Or make sure server admins use this: https://github.com/Person8880/Shine/wiki/Workshop-Updater

Ofc more than one update daily should be avoided. But sometimes it just happens that you oversee a line (causing issues) before you publish your mod. In this case you have to push the hotfix out as fast as you can.

This mostly solves the update issue. However the larger issue was never the updates b/c worst case the map would change but then then workshop takes away your admin plugin there are no map changes and no recovery until you see it is down.
    edited November 2013
    @ZeroIbis

ah that , you mean workshop timeouts. Yeah but that is a issue you can't fix without changing the hole way how mods are stored. To avoid this issue i would suggest to leave a working vanilla setup at your server.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I've been in contact with a few people, and the servers should start up some time this week four admins to start.
    edited November 2013
    @Hugh Could we get a list of those admins? BTW Good Luck to them. Managing a server can be a harsh job
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Sebastian, Loki, Gibs and myself are the first four, although I suspect more helpers will be drafted in (depending on demand) once the waters have been tested. But I'm just speculating there.
    I don't agree its a harsh job. Speaking as a modder and a NS2 player; hanging out in a chat room dealing with requests or issues on a few servers is hardly a nine-to-five job. I think its a worthwhile time investment to help the community and the modding scene.
    Howser wrote: »
    Sebastian, Loki, Gibs and myself are the first four, although I suspect more helpers will be drafted in (depending on demand) once the waters have been tested. But I'm just speculating there.
    I don't agree its a harsh job. Speaking as a modder and a NS2 player; hanging out in a chat room dealing with requests or issues on a few servers is hardly a nine-to-five job. I think its a worthwhile time investment to help the community and the modding scene.

Ah thanks. I may have used the term "harsh" here wrong, and ask you for pardon as i'm not a native speaker. I just wanted to wish you all good luck and alot of fun and hopefully you may avoid most troubles.
    oh don't worry, there's nothing to pardon. I was just politely disagreeing with you. It may well turn out to be a harsh job where Hugh has us chained up to the giant hamster wheel that provides power for all the NS2 servers!
    I know it could be a harsh job on some communities but I doubt we'll have any problems running a niche server selection for this one.