What happened to this game!?

gsgregogsgrego Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175651Members
Came back after a long while to find a game that feels completely bland lacking any of the atmosphere of when it released.
Levels are always lit with it no longer feeling either scary as a marine hearing the footsteps approaching in the darkness or like the hunter stalking its prey in the shadows.
There is less tactical elements tied to lighting since marines always have the advantage and are even rewarded for NOT building power nodes in areas since lighting is always on and cannot be turned off if they don't build it.
Emergency lights are much brighter than the original shadows and as such still don't bring the original feel to it for either side.

Alien vision and marine flashlight are almost completely pointless now since levels remain bright 99% of the time.

WTF did you do to this game? It just feels bland lacking anything on both sides that gave the game its feel.

Comments

• MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    It's designed for fast paced mutliplayer action, so it plays different from a single player atmospheric type game
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    Still i also wish that rooms would black out like it was suggested in the balance mod thread. But i think that would kinda harm the current balance.
  • gsgregogsgrego Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175651Members
    MrPink wrote: »
    It's designed for fast paced mutliplayer action, so it plays different from a single player atmospheric type game

Try rereading my post for the keywords "Came back". This game has lost its atmosphere and has become another bland game.
    Still i also wish that rooms would black out like it was suggested in the balance mod thread. But i think that would kinda harm the current balance.

The current balance is boring. Utterly boring. It is almost too balanced. Marines have it way to easy atm. Aliens are still easy just more limited in how they fight,
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited November 2013

Sewlek said he had no problem if someone actually made a mod to recreate the changed lighting from an earlier BT mod iteration (where darkness and emergency light were essentially swapped out and alien structures were glowing in the dark).
    I'd do it, but I don't know my way around in NS2's modding API, so hopefully someone else can take care of it. According to Sewlek is it not really difficult.

The reason why we don't see that stuff from official side any time soon is probably because aliens are already stronger in pub play than marines at the moment and have no need for such a big buff at the moment.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    And because we had it in the beta, and 3/4 of the map was dark all the time. Not really interesting to look at
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Asraniel wrote: »
    And because we had it in the beta, and 3/4 of the map was dark all the time. Not really interesting to look at

You can still tweak the rules of the system, for instance turning the emergency lights back on as soon as the destroyed power node is 10% welded. Or adding cheap flare grenades. Or increasing the range of the flashlight.

It also depends a lot on the map.
    - Veil has enough skylights to still feel pretty good without electrical lights.
    - Summit only has the area between the northern and eastern tech point going for it, the rest doesn't have any natural lights except Glass Hallway.
    - Tram doesn't have any external light sources save for a small row of windows in Elevator Transfer and Observation.
    - Mineshaft barely has any natural light sources save for the bright spot in the Gap and the waterfalls in Cave.
    - Refinery has Lava Falls and the Smelting pods.
    - Docking has enough external lights around the marine start positions of the map and becomes more prone to darkness the further you get into alien territory.
    - Descent has just a bunch of windows, which are rather small and only cover a part of the room.
    - Biodome has plenty of large windows for external light sources that make darkness a lot less severe.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    gsgrego wrote: »
    Came back after a long while to find a game that feels completely bland lacking any of the atmosphere of when it released.
    Levels are always lit with it no longer feeling either scary as a marine hearing the footsteps approaching in the darkness or like the hunter stalking its prey in the shadows.
    There is less tactical elements tied to lighting since marines always have the advantage and are even rewarded for NOT building power nodes in areas since lighting is always on and cannot be turned off if they don't build it.
    Emergency lights are much brighter than the original shadows and as such still don't bring the original feel to it for either side.

Alien vision and marine flashlight are almost completely pointless now since levels remain bright 99% of the time.

WTF did you do to this game? It just feels bland lacking anything on both sides that gave the game its feel.

I honestly have no idea what you're referring to, when did the lighting change?
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Inb4 he was playing on a NSL map
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    The current balance is boring. Utterly boring. It is almost too balanced. Marines have it way to easy atm. Aliens are still easy just more limited in how they fight,

huh ... ?

Also, lighting effects for destroyed power nodes and emergency lighting haven't been changed.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Jekt wrote: »

huh ... ?

He's right that the current balance is boring, wrong that marines are the superior side though.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    esports happened. No music, summit only, final destination.
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    edited November 2013
    Has the lighting actually even been changed on non-nsl maps?
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    It's very simple. We went from slow-paced to fast-paced.

That is all. You can't have both scary atmospherics and sprinting with guns blazing.

I'm happy for the change. It's always fun to shoot stuff.
    edited November 2013
    It's very simple. We went from slow-paced to fast-paced.

That is all. You can't have both scary atmospherics and sprinting with guns blazing.

I'm happy for the change. It's always fun to shoot stuff.

Yeah. They switched a good game for mimicking cheap overdone shit.

Either way I found it boring on both sides and easy either way. No challenge as a marine and no fun as an alien left.
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Jekt wrote: »

huh ... ?

He's right that the current balance is boring, wrong that marines are the superior side though.

Not saying they are superior. They are simply easier aka playing the marine no longer feels rewarding because their is no more challenge. The game has been dumbed down.

I miss playing as a marine walking the dark hallways with only a flashlight, listening to the sounds around me as I wait for the ambush to come.

I miss playing as a alien moving through the shadows stalking my prey, ready to spring when they think it safe.

What you get now is a generic game that looks like they compiled the map with fullbright and plays like it too.
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold

I very much want to hear what you consider "cheap" and "overdone" and how it is in NS2 now
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    When has NS ever been slow-paced? Some games can certainly take a while, but the gameplay on the ground is never slow.
    edited November 2013
    Nazo wrote: »
    I very much want to hear what you consider "cheap" and "overdone" and how it is in NS2 now

Besides the fast that all it has to it atm is a sci fi fps with aliens? The game feels and plays like the hundreds of f2p generic fps games out there. There isn't any depth to it anymore, less tactics and strategy needed, less teamwork required. Its become dumbed down and bland.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Yes you're right. Just like the hundreds of other melee vs ranged fast paced fps-rts hybrids with dynamic environments.
    NS2 brings old school gameplay up to date. Look at a load of old school remakes like DNF and ROTT to see how graphically limited and oversimplified gameplay looks like and you realise that what ns2 has done so far is actually pretty incredible.
    If it's not for you, it's not for you but in that case coming to the forums just to whinge belligerently is bad form.
    As someone already mentioned above, were you playing on an nsl version of the map? The lighting there has been much simplified to help frame rates for competitive matches.
  • philoglphilogl Join Date: 2012-10-24 Member: 163529Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver
    Were you playing in a 24 slot server with low graphics on?
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Besides the fast that all it has to it atm is a sci fi fps with aliens? The game feels and plays like the hundreds of f2p generic fps games out there. There isn't any depth to it anymore, less tactics and strategy needed, less teamwork required. Its become dumbed down and bland.
    Sorry to break it to you, but this is all in your head.

Lighting has not changed at all since release, nor has the pace of gameplay. The only thing that has changed is the way people understand the game. The only thing you have to blame is your own changed interpretation or choice of server.
  • StrikercwlStrikercwl Join Date: 2003-10-04 Member: 21438Members
    "Too balanced" .... So your saying it shouldn't be balanced... then just join a pub game on a green server and enjoy the team stacking... Personally I love the balance, its good to have a game where the team that works together the best will win, but with the wildcard of a sneaky player being able to turn the table at any minute... As for the lighting, maybe the emergency lights do kick in a bit early, but I don't think that ruins the atmosphere any. If anything... it makes sense... any space faring, nano technology wielding, future humans would certainly have mastered backup lighting... hell just about any public building in America nowadays has emergency lights that kick in within seconds of power going out.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Mouse wrote: »
    When has NS ever been slow-paced? Some games can certainly take a while, but the gameplay on the ground is never slow.

Obviously I meant the interval between encounters. I find it hard to imagine what a slow-paced FPS would be like. Perhaps a maximum speed of 10 dpi mouse movement per second?
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    The game got better?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    tenderloin wrote: »
    The game got better?

Eh....I dunno about that. It's different, but I don't know if the terms "better" or "worse" can really be used. I personally don't enjoy it as much as I used to.
    Still dont understand the point of this thread.
    Either way I found it boring on both sides and easy either way. No challenge as a marine and no fun as an alien left.

If you dont like the game, dont play it/post about it, its pretty simple.

• CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I find the game still exciting. The real 'scared while walking around' feel you describe wears off after awhile.
    A good skulk ambush still gets the ol'heart racing though.
  • xnorxnor Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187916Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Still dont understand the point of this thread.
    If you dont like the game, dont play it/post about it, its pretty simple.

That's the right attitude ... to lose the rest of the tiny* remaining player base, except for the die-hards.

*) About only 600 players are left that play ns2 on average per day, worldwide. That is 40% down from previous months, over 70% down compared to a year ago.
  • KrovakonKrovakon Join Date: 2012-05-20 Member: 152332Members
    NS2 is pretty much your typical shooter nowadays, aside from the extremely watered down RTS section. I had high hopes during early development when it had actual RTS elements in it. (Upgrading command chairs, resource nodes, Tech upgrades. which the only one to stay around was armor/damage)Also back then Aliens were scary to fight against. Nowadays I can go toe-toe with anything up to a fade with a rifle completely confident in winning. In the fades case I usually lose, but inflict enough damage that he's forced to go back and heal, and If I'm using a shotgun I feel completely safe in going against a fade. three shots and he's dead versus the 4? 5? swipes needed to kill me. and I don't even want to talk about how garbage skulks are for anything that isn't an exo or a structure.

And don't even get me started on how GARBAGE the alien Khammander is nowadays. It's literally one GIANT res sink. it's what? 135ish res for a single fully upgraded hive? life form upgrades at 35 res each aside from skulk(and maybe gorge?). Not to mention how much res you spend on near useless cysts who only exist to limit expansion speed of the aliens and be a further res sink. I could complain about Alien Khammander for hours but i'll spare everyone the time.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow

You came back after a long while of not playing? And because the game has improved and is in somewhat a better place, because the changes are not something you are used to!

Spend a few more hours playing and you will see that the game is somewhat better than before.
    Krovakon wrote: »
    Also back then Aliens were scary to fight against. Nowadays I can go toe-toe with anything up to a fade with a rifle completely confident in winning. In the fades case I usually lose, but inflict enough damage that he's forced to go back and heal, and If I'm using a shotgun I feel completely safe in going against a fade..

I really wish the fade was as scary as it was in NS1, where it could very likely take out 3 members of a group solo very easily. If you didn't have a shotgun there was no hope for you at all. Even if you did, there was a good chance you'd lose in a pair (if it was running upgrades), no hope solo.