The Artist/Engineer Relationship at Project Inception - UnknownWorlds

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited November 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

The Artist/Engineer Relationship at Project Inception - UnknownWorlds

The beginning of a new project is tremendously exciting. At first, it feels like the sky is the limit. Grand ideas for innovative game-play, compelling experiences and immersive visual styles...

Read the full story here

Comments

• ProtonProton Calgary, AB Join Date: 2004-09-08 Member: 31534Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would love to see these pictures ;)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    "Project inception"? Is this in anyway related to the twitter handle? Did system dig up an old thread again?
    And Hugh, I am disappoint, no bumpity-bump?

:D

So many questions...
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The 15th can't come soon enough!
  • ZaliZali Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185668Members
    edited November 2013
    More from the king of word soup. Great.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    What did i just read?
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2013
    RisingSun wrote: »
    What did i just read?
    Think it was just reassuring us they work as a team. However, with all the stuff I see splattered on my screen in ns2 I think we know who worked for who. ;)
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts

Normally I don't bump UWE blog posts as for now, they end up as threads on the NS2 forums. Generally that is inappropriate as people misunderstand them to be NS2 related. One day this will be fixed :)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Hugh wrote: »

Normally I don't bump UWE blog posts as for now, they end up as threads on the NS2 forums. Generally that is inappropriate as people misunderstand them to be NS2 related. One day this will be fixed :)

But then we will have to actually check the frontpage for blog posts D:
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    Hey UWE, Riot Games called. You're doing it wrong.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013

You can follow the UWE Twitter, Facebook & Google+ pages for notifications of UWE blog posts and other updates that are not NS2 related :)

(Aside, I'm thrilled that you are interested in UWE content!)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I read that UWE has now started their next game. It will run on consoles, and maybe tablets/phones. Therefore UWE must be aiming for a large target audience to really rake some money in. They feel a freedom no longer being constrained to the NS universe. There may or may not of been some squabbles over small petty things such as how the artist want the game to look and how the engineers can get the game to look. In the end though, they solved their interests and are pleased with the results. I am assuming this is a new modified spark engine to work on lower powered devices.

It appears you guys will be making full use of Oliver Franzke's talk last month.
    james888 wrote: »

Nope... This is fairly wide of the mark! :D. Through the Postmortem Microtalk program, and our occasional blog post, UWE likes to share our thoughts about game development. These thoughts are just my interpretation of seeing what has gone in various projects, both Unknown Worlds and other. It does not specifically hint at anything Unknown Worlds is or is not doing.

You can find out what we are doing by following the feeds I linked in my reply to @F0rdPrefect above. We are an open developer, and we won't hide things from you. At the moment, lots of stuff is happening. NS2 stuff, not NS2 stuff, Spark stuff, not Spark stuff. We can't wait to share it with you over the coming months.

You can follow the UWE Twitter, Facebook & Google+ pages for notifications of UWE blog posts and other updates that are not NS2 related :)

I'm not active in social networks, but I created a twitter handle just for the reinforced reward ;)
    (Aside, I'm thrilled that you are interested in UWE content!)

Of course I am. You made the most awesome game ever. (You see, expectations for the future are kinda high now. But it's your own fault...)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am just trying to make your general hints into specific hints.

@hugh, maybe you should manage an email mailing list for such things too.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    "Project inception"? Is this in anyway related to the twitter handle?

Could be wrong here, but I think it just means "the inception of a project"... not that the name of the project is "inception".
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    "Project inception"? Is this in anyway related to the twitter handle?

Could be wrong here, but I think it just means "the inception of a project"... not that the name of the project is "inception".

Oh. I got that wrong.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    I can't wait to see how things progress. So frikkin' excited - the future is oarsome! :D
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Obraxis wrote: »
    oarsome! :D
    hrm... intentional hint?

Is new game going to be about rowing boat racing?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    MMORPG Rowing Simulator.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    Typo of the highest degree. I clearly fail at writing at 4AM.

Edit: I'm hoping for a sequel to this:

Zen-of-Sudoku-3.png
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Having followed a number of the devs on twitter it looks like UWE is doing something with Unity as well as with Spark... so awesome.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    ZoS2: Now whit even more numbers!
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Edit: I'm hoping for a sequel to this:

Zen-of-Sudoku-3.png

Zen of 2udoku

Zen of Sudoku IN SPACE

Also, "Project Inception" in capital letters, and the phrasing "at Project Inception" implies that the project's name is actually inception? Right? Right?