The problem with this game is teams are never balanced.

Comments

• MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited November 2013
    Play on servers with skill based team mod.

Is there a proper one? I've seen ELO at work on HBZ, and it hasn't been anymore impressive than a full out random.

I still think we need a KDR team random, random based on last 3 rounds KDR. *GASP!* KDR ISN'T EVERYTHING! No sh*t. But it's most everything. And be honest, when you've had an imbalanced game, and you're starting the next round, afraid of a stacked game, what are you looking for? That's right, the top KDR guys joining the same team. You're ALWAYS looking for that. And that's ALWAYS the thing that bothers you the most. But whatever. We're stuck in a denial limbo waiting for the perfect skill-team-balance tool that just needs to take into account x times infinite factors before it works. :|

Edit: It's funny that I'm promoting KDR random, when I'm usually the first guy to sacrifice my KDR for the team to go munch on some RTS because nobody else is doing it.
  • ArthurDentArthurDent Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188904Members
    A skill based autobalance would be nice. Even nicer if you could set your team preference(marine, alien, either) and it would find a game that needs someone of your skill level (after filtering out high ping, passwords, other server preferences, etc).

• maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    ^ then when it finds a server that works you connect, then 2 minutes later when you finally load up, turns out the team had a comeback without you, and now your to skilled to join the match and it auto kicks you.
  • swansongswansong mk Join Date: 2013-11-04 Member: 188985Members
    edited November 2013
    I've tried to like this game, I've played 12 hours since this post and my thoughts are the same. No one wants to be a commander, we all love the idea of more depth and love to call people noobs for trying to take depth away, however the commander mode doesn't work and it isn't what makes this game unique. I've never experienced commander mode and never want to, I love this game for aliens vs marines, the commander stuff doesn't come into it, just like it never did in BF2 or BF4... In TF2 I've built bases with my Engineer, I love doing that shit, I just love doing it while being able to play the game.

I just don't think it works, it has too much influence over the game and is one of the major causes of why it's so unbalanced.
  • AceDauntlessAceDauntless Join Date: 2013-05-16 Member: 185253Members, Reinforced - Gold
    swansong wrote: »
    I've tried to like this game, I've played 12 hours since this post and my thoughts are the same. No one wants to be a commander, we all love the idea of more depth and love to call people noobs for trying to take depth away, however the commander mode doesn't work and it isn't what makes this game unique. I've never experienced commander mode and never want to, I love this game for aliens vs marines, the commander stuff doesn't come into it, just like it never did in BF2 or BF4... In TF2 I've built bases with my Engineer, I love doing that shit, I just love doing it while being able to play the game.

I just don't think it works, it has too much influence over the game and is one of the major causes of why it's so unbalanced.

I don't understand why you want to remove the coolest aspect about the game. The game isn't for everyone, just go play something else instead of trying to ruin this game.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow

"I've never played as a commander but I know that it sucks and no one wants to play it."
  • HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    With compelling arguments like that, how can I possibly disagree?
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Play on servers with skill based team mod.

Is there a proper one? I've seen ELO at work on HBZ, and it hasn't been anymore impressive than a full out random.

I still think we need a KDR team random, random based on last 3 rounds KDR. *GASP!* KDR ISN'T EVERYTHING! No sh*t. But it's most everything. And be honest, when you've had an imbalanced game, and you're starting the next round, afraid of a stacked game, what are you looking for? That's right, the top KDR guys joining the same team. You're ALWAYS looking for that. And that's ALWAYS the thing that bothers you the most. But whatever. We're stuck in a denial limbo waiting for the perfect skill-team-balance tool that just needs to take into account x times infinite factors before it works. :|

Edit: It's funny that I'm promoting KDR random, when I'm usually the first guy to sacrifice my KDR for the team to go munch on some RTS because nobody else is doing it.

People on the winning team get a higher KDR usually, especially when unbalanced/stacked. I mean ofc you can split them up, but chances are people suddenly play poor if not on winning team and against skulks that can.. jump or marines that can aim.

ns2stats ELO is pretty okay, has some caveats, as such that playtime=highelo (low playtime and high skill = not so high elo) and also that I've seen skilled players leave in the beginning of the game when ELO teams get forced, so teams are left unbalanced again.
    The plugin only sorts 8 ppl based on the ELO I think (at least that is what it says), and the others are configurable to be random, kdr or scorebased.

I'd prefer ELO over random RR anyway, makes usually interesting matches, then random RR or people joining up manually.
    German Slaughterhouse also has ELO as per playervote on all non-combat servers.
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    edited November 2013
    I've just finished a 5 hour session where I commanded every single match. Would I like to have been out on the field from time to time, Of course! but a high rookie population and the limited knowledge of other potential comms in the server meant I was far more suited to a commander role than racking up kills. Would I really put myself through 5 hours of that If I didn't find it an enjoyable experience?

Commanding can be infuriating and subject to harsh or unjustified criticism from your team (if they're losing) but it can also be the most rewarding experience NS2 has to offer. No other game i've played offers a sole player so much impact over his/her team. whether it's dropping a medpack to help out the marine engaging a fade, or using a drifter to get an onos out of trouble, every match is littered with moments where YOU made the difference between winning or losing an engagement, and that's before considering the overall strategy you use to try and win the match. I like being able to watch over my team; Congratulating them when they do well, spurring them on in combat and inspiring them to keep going when things look bleak. I'm often calling out team members by name when giving orders and that really builds the bond between commander and players. When I see one of my lerks drop out the sky, I share the moment with that player, and when I see a lone skulk hold off 3 marines until reinforcements arrive, I'm right there with him.

Sure, sometimes you get abuse or a team that just won't listen or even work as a unit and that's when it's tough to hop back in the chair again, but you can't forget all the little moments of gratitude you get when you've saved a players life and probably a key strategic position, or you've just done a solid job leading your guys to victory. I've had some abuse in my time with NS2, but these days, even in defeat my efforts are recognised.

My biggest piece of advise for commanding is communication. Find out asap if anyone else has a mic. You need your eyes and ears on the ground and a player to bounce ideas off.
    Start calling players out by name where possible. It gets their attention and most people don't like to be seen ignoring a commander when they've been singled out directly. If they still dissobey and I can't see a valid reason why (they may have seen/heard something I havn't) I will reiterate what I asked them to do and what the effect of them not following my requests are.
    "xxxxx I asked you to phase to locker rooms, now we've lost locker and access to that side of the map"

Don't shout at them, that doesn't teach them anything and they're less likely to listen next time. Instead, you can simply show them the impact their non-compliance has had, shrug it off and give them a new target.

Team (skill) balance is a real issue in this game and not one that's easily resolved. I'm not here to give the solution, UWE are already looking into ways they can improve match making. The commander role however is not much of an issue (though some better tutorials for new players and an improved UI would be welcome additions). With the exception of a few trolls and (total) rookie comms, most players could hop in and do reasonably well for a pub match. I think a key factor in how few are willing to do so is down to a lack of information (tutorials) and bad experiences of comms being given abuse unfairly. Oh... and language barriers or lack of a microphone too.

Commanders are here to stay, and I for one, couldn't be happier about it.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    i think the commander is such an amazing part of the game.

from the increased strategy to the pure satisfaction you get when you do something awesome and the commander gives you an e-medal. it's a bit like having a pocket medic in tf2 only better, because you don't have to babysit him :)
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I had the most amazing commander game last night and a brilliant bunch of people supporting me, that's what makes this game so amazing. Thanks to the YoClan guys for the fun :)
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I love the commander feature. There is no better RTS-cross-FPS game than NS2. The commanding is closer to real life commanding than any other pure RTS can be. Because you command with your voice. You command real people. It's not about clicking on upgrades or clicking on the map to push pixels around. It's about convincing people. About leading people. And this all on top of the strategic and tactical choices you have to make.

@swansong:
    Why didn't you read the posts of the people answering you? There is an NS2 mod out there that is perfect for what you want. It's called "combat mod" and has no commander. Why don't you play this instead of trolling the forum?
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Swansong comes to the forum with roughly 24 hours gameplay (generous estimate). No wonder his thread + one posts are utter nonesense. I'm not sure he's playing on pub server, maybe he playes Tutorial and forgot to set enemy bot commander?
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    @OP

If you want to play Aliens vs Marines without com play combat.
    If you like to be an engineer like in TF2 play TF2.

@Mestaritonttu
    The ELO random isnt pure ELO.
    Its a mix between the 8 players with highest ELO score (the carry player) and average KDR of 3 rounds for the other players.

The system didnt work in that moment, some premium league players want to play together @ all cost.
    So after the random kicks in these players reconnect and join the other team to stack again.
    After these stomps the people complaining about how bad ELO vote is. *facepalm*

Its sad that some premium league players cant lose.
    I saw awesome balanced games on my server with ELO but still some of these players complain about it after the match.

They had no problems with stacking again and again vs pubs.
    But hey, they win there match. Thats all what count.

And a small tip to some of this "pros":
    If you want perfect teamplay dont play pub.

• PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    Did @swansong even try any Combat servers like a few people suggested before posting his tunnel vision views again? Maybe after learning the basics, he will want to expand the gameplay by playing normal games. Just a thought.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    edited November 2013

It works much better than you think, the trick is to play with people who know what they're actually doing. Once you have a few more games under your belt and find the right server you'll enjoy the game a lot more.
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    dePARA wrote: »

I am really getting tired of hearing this same criticism and how stacking is ruining this game because veteran players only want to get high k:ds, cant lose, love to stomp noobs, blah blah, etc.

The inordinate amount of rookies are the ones holding this game back. The majority that don't care to learn this game or even try to be helpful. Yet you are constantly criticizing the players who love this game the most. NS2 is so much about teamwork and truely becomes enjoyable when you can work together to accomplish things in a competent manner. The fact that this game is a year old and we are still catering to the absolute lowest common denominator in pubs is amazing to me.

So yes, I don't want to play with bad players in a pub and if I see a competent player in a server, I will probably join their team. For the sake of my own sanity. A 10 minute win versus a 45 minute shitshow of balanced incompetency and I will take the stacked 10 min game everytime. A lesser of two evils. This game is not fun when you have armor 0 at 17 minutes. This game is not fun when you commander is dropping turrets in every close room while aliens are taking over the rest of the map. This game is not fun when you asked for welding and your teammate runs off in the other direction.

I couldn't care less about my k:d or winning, but the last thing I want to do is play a "balanced" incompetent shitshow of a game with no teamwork or help. If I am a stacker because of that, then so be it.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    PaLaGi wrote: »
    ...but the last thing I want to do is play a "balanced" incompetent shitshow of a game with no teamwork or help. If I am a stacker because of that, then so be it.

You do nothing good to the game with this attitude. I actually can understand your view. It is frustrating when the server skill is so much below yours. But the appropriate solution is to change the server instead of ruining the fun of > 14 other players.

Not only do you make an ass of yourself with that attitude, you ruin the game for all of us in the long term. By scaring away any new blood that could possibly like the game if it wouldn't be stomped in the first few hours it plays.

Don't tell me, there are no servers with a higher skill level. I know there are.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    I have more of problem with people who throw in the towel instantly when they see specific people on the opposite team, than with people stacking. There's no reason games should end instantly just because teams are "unbalanced", it's a team game after all..
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    @PaLaGi

Thanks for your post.
    Now we know why there are so many post about stacked teams and pubstomping.
    Now we know why every try to balance a round didnt work.

There is a relative high skill level on my server. But this doesnt matter if in one team are 2 quaxy, 2 godar and 2 other premium league players.
    Talking about teamplay and didnt care what the other non premium league players thinking is a bit to much of an ego trip for me.

And i repeat it again:
    If you dont like incompetent shit players, stop playing pub.
    Maybe your view on the game is to much "black and white"

"Yet you are constantly criticizing the players who love this game the most"
    Another *facepalm*.
    I didnt comment this.

• current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Kinda agree with palagi.

Part of me says people need to stop bitching, grow a set and learn to play the game. Other part of me says when skilled people clear out a server they don't pay for it's not very good either. At the end of the day I always play on the same team as a friend given the choice and what happens happens. If we generally start to clear out a server we will either split up or I leave before we actually do kill it out of respect. It's just a shame the skill is low enough (even before the sale) where people could actually can "stack" with as little as 1 or 2 people out of 24.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    PaLaGi wrote: »
    dePARA wrote: »

I am really getting tired of hearing this same criticism and how stacking is ruining this game because veteran players only want to get high k:ds, cant lose, love to stomp noobs, blah blah, etc.

The inordinate amount of rookies are the ones holding this game back. The majority that don't care to learn this game or even try to be helpful. Yet you are constantly criticizing the players who love this game the most. NS2 is so much about teamwork and truely becomes enjoyable when you can work together to accomplish things in a competent manner. The fact that this game is a year old and we are still catering to the absolute lowest common denominator in pubs is amazing to me.

So yes, I don't want to play with bad players in a pub and if I see a competent player in a server, I will probably join their team. For the sake of my own sanity. A 10 minute win versus a 45 minute shitshow of balanced incompetency and I will take the stacked 10 min game everytime. A lesser of two evils. This game is not fun when you have armor 0 at 17 minutes. This game is not fun when you commander is dropping turrets in every close room while aliens are taking over the rest of the map. This game is not fun when you asked for welding and your teammate runs off in the other direction.

I couldn't care less about my k:d or winning, but the last thing I want to do is play a "balanced" incompetent shitshow of a game with no teamwork or help. If I am a stacker because of that, then so be it.

Maybe it's not fun for you, but that "incompetent shitshow" is much more enjoyable for everyone else on the server. So if you value your own enjoyment enough that you are willing to ruin the experience of everyone else on the server, then by all means go ahead and keep stacking.
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    You know what's funny? NOBODY complained about balance issues with NS1. Each side was unique (Marine had commanders, aliens didn't). Why attempt to fix what isn't broken? All NS1 needed was a graphics revamp which is already here. So...
    PoNeH wrote: »
    You know what's funny? NOBODY complained about balance issues with NS1

That was sarcasm, or at least a joke right? You couldn't possibly make a statement like that with a straight face. Balance was always an issue with NS1 and it was constantly getting tweaked as the game matured (though maybe not as frequently as NS2). If complaining on the matter ever stopped it was probably because there was no one left to complain. Such is, and always will be, the case with asymetrical games.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Btw, how can he have zero posts? He clearly has one, but it's not being displayed.
    Starting threads postcount doesn't do ++
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Btw, how can he have zero posts? He clearly has one, but it's not being displayed.

We live in a strange world...
  • king_yoking_yo Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67192Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    Don't tell me, there are no servers with a higher skill level. I know there are.
    No. There are not. The best server is HBZ and the level is far from great. Even if it were really good, it's always full.

So yes, PaLaGi said it all. People need to learn the game. When the overall level of the people playing the game will rise (if ever), then the best players will automatically have a lesser impact (and games will be better for everyone). The amount of players who have NO CLUE what to do in this game is astonishing. And I'm not talking free weekends/rookies. I'm talking about people with 200+, 300+ hours in this game. I don't ask everyone to go premium division, but please there is a limit to how low your level can be after playing a game for some time (I'm trying to say this without sounding mean, because we all know how much some prem div players love to be rude to the noobs they just stomped hardcore in the face with 8+ of them stacking marine).

If you enjoy the "incompetent shitshow" so much, try some games that are made for it. Go play Diablo 3, it's still a better PvE wannabe than NS2.

I don't know any good players that hate newbs. It is obviously annoying to play with them, but they are just newbs and I don't hate them for that, on the contrary, I welcome them. Noobs on the other hand, are the ones plaguing this game. "you are too good plz leave the server" "fades OP can't kill them with my 10% acc" "omg strafe jump too fast can't keep track of the marine" "AA up QUICK EVERYONE GET FLAMETHROWER AND GL" "JP/SG ULTIMATE STRAT OP" "I had phantom how did you see me cheater" "lol onos is fun" and I'm probably forgetting some good ones.
    (relevant for those who don't know the difference :
    - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Noobs vs. Newbs context is COD4 for console but any game can relate
    - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=newb)

As for NS1, I don't recall anyone getting asked to leave the server because they were too good when I was playing. It may have happened, but it was certainly not as common as in NS2. As for balance being discussed, I'm glad it was, NS1 3.2 was a really balanced and polished version of the (best) game (ever).
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester

Did you even play NS1? If you did, you were obviously not in the competitive scene.

BTW, NS2 is less asymmetrical than most games out there. NS1 was a lot more asymmetrical than NS2 and it was tons more balanced.

• MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members

Did you even play NS1? If you did, you were obviously not in the competitive scene.

BTW, NS2 is less asymmetrical than most games out there. NS1 was a lot more asymmetrical than NS2 and it was tons more balanced.

I still say that the problem lies with the gamers and not as much with the game. I truly believe the average gamer today is a lot less tolerant for learning games and taking their lumps than was the case when NS1 was new. It's not entirely the fault of the newer gamers, Call of Money and Belittlefield have really dumbed things down quite a bit.
    edited November 2013

I take it the idea was to quote me but you missed your target.
    Yes, I did in fact play NS1 and my competitive experience spans almost every season of the ensl (including two or so season of writing predictions and some other stuff I can barely even remember anymore, think I did some reffing and guest casting). My comp history goes all the way back to 1.0x and clanbase. Hope that answers your question.

Yes, NS1 was fairly balanced by the end of its lifespan but it took years to get right. Statements like "NOBODY complained" are bull right off the bat because that's just not how things work with games.
    Back then you had the same complaints you get now, competitive players insist on balancing the game for "how its made to be played" meaning a 6v6 while public players insist on catering to larger teams.
    That's just one example, but it should be more than enough to derail your statement.