Is this game dead

despairdespair Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165746Members
played on release up until 5ish months ago

now i load it up and there are only like 15 servers and most of them are empty

this game died this fast?

Comments

• madsaucemadsauce San Francisco Join Date: 2013-06-02 Member: 185442Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica PT Lead
    I'm not sure where you live (under a bridge?), but there are more servers than I've ever had options of joining since launch. *shrug*
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I've never had a problem finding servers, and I filter out all servers < 100% performance and over 100 ping (US West)
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    its alive and well and more fun than ever (except for when compared to ns...ns is still more fun-go figure)
    also, it's regularly growing both in development and audience.
    have no fear...just give UWE your money.
  • despairdespair Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165746Members
    edited October 2013
    its probably cause there was an update

more servers r poppin up

funny coincodence it happened right after i decided to play again
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    The update just went out ~30 minutes ago so many servers are still updating :)
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Fairly dead in aus I feel. But then again it's been about this bad for several months.
  • Kei-chanKei-chan Join Date: 2013-01-20 Member: 180898Members
    edited October 2013
    I don't know if I'd call it "dead", but...

Well, first time playing in about 3 months, and over the course of 5 hours, regardless of server, I experienced nothing but team stacking, extremely rude players with poor sportsmanship (lots of insult-slinging over voice/text, alien teams killing all the marines but leaving a comm chair and an IP alive so that they could farm kills for NS2stats, people brazenly coordinating team stacking via text), and skulks feeling more fragile than ever before.

The experience, universally, was that one team was stacked to the gills with people wearing clantags, sometimes with badges (Are those new? Are they from a mod? Most servers seemed to have them) next to their names, and another team with inexperienced, unskilled, or rookie players (and myself, as I always join whichever team is down) who not only wouldn't take strategic advice over voice, but would go so far as to recycle all the buildings as commander if they didn't get their way.

It's sort of tragic. I felt a bit ashamed at the recommendation I posted to my friends on the store page after that experience. There really needs to be a way to report players for terrible conduct, because it was just... awful. My experience with the community used to be largely positive, so it was especially jarring.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was going to guess that you had restrictive filter settings.
  • KbpringleKbpringle Join Date: 2013-08-21 Member: 187003Members
    Not dead. Not growing but there's enough people to fill servers.

Hopefully, UWE can get their sabot system out for gathers in time to capitalize on the steam Holiday sales.

Even if Sabot isn't ready I would just like a "funnel" system so if there isn't an easily joinable server I can seed a server and be fairly confident that players will be joining quickly.

Also a bit of warning as to when the NS2 sales hit would be nice so the community can rally and maybe help retain some new players!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Kei-chan wrote: »

Well, first time playing in about 3 months, and over the course of 5 hours, regardless of server, I experienced nothing but team stacking, extremely rude players with poor sportsmanship (lots of insult-slinging over voice/text, alien teams killing all the marines but leaving a comm chair and an IP alive so that they could farm kills for NS2stats, people brazenly coordinating team stacking via text), and skulks feeling more fragile than ever before.

The experience, universally, was that one team was stacked to the gills with people wearing clantags, sometimes with badges (Are those new? Are they from a mod? Most servers seemed to have them) next to their names, and another team with inexperienced, unskilled, or rookie players (and myself, as I always join whichever team is down) who not only wouldn't take strategic advice over voice, but would go so far as to recycle all the buildings as commander if they didn't get their way.

It's sort of tragic. I felt a bit ashamed at the recommendation I posted to my friends on the store page after that experience. There really needs to be a way to report players for terrible conduct, because it was just... awful. My experience with the community used to be largely positive, so it was especially jarring.

I think there is a sale going on? At least there were lots of green players yesterday. Usually the quality of the game lowers during a sale...
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    @Kei-chan What kind of server are you playing on? Except for teamstacking sometimes I don't experience what you do. And UWE is working on Sabot matchmaking. Also its 75% off halloween sale.

Edit: Hard to address Kei-chan when there is a Kei.
  • Al_BoboAl_Bobo Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183957Members
    Wow Kei-Chan, that sounds really bad where ever you played. I encounter teamstacking often and rudeness every now and then, but mostly it is quite pleasant to play. Use more mute -option :D
  • KbpringleKbpringle Join Date: 2013-08-21 Member: 187003Members
    Kei-chan wrote: »

Its how NS2 is played now. Badges vs Rookies.

In all seriousness though I have found my experience much better lately as I avoid "rookie friendly" servers. I know it is un-intuitive as the green tag is supposed to be a place to learn but my experience is that green servers just attract "rookie server all stars" and pub-stompers.

Try a few different regular servers and I bet you will find someplace more welcoming (that has been my experience at least).
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Some servers have no real community. You find idiots there more often. Play on the right servers (like HBZ for Europe) and you will have a much better experience.

And to the question if the game is dead:

The last free weekend was on Sept.1. Naturally after the weekend the player counts dropped again. But even until today, they were steady around 750-1000 simultaneous players peak per day. And despite seeing more greens on the servers since the Halloween Sale started, it didn't start to grow yet.

http://steamcharts.com/app/4920#1m
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    People insist on playing big games (16 and up), and I just get a really bad feel with that many players. NS2 needs a proper pre game lobby system where people all join at the same time and play a whole round. It just doesn't work with drop in drop out players. At least not for me.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    People insist on playing big games (16 and up), and I just get a really bad feel with that many players. NS2 needs a proper pre game lobby system where people all join at the same time and play a whole round. It just doesn't work with drop in drop out players. At least not for me.

You think 16 and up is bad? :D
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    14 is my preferred number: 6 people on the ground, one in the chair.
  • RicezRicez Join Date: 2013-04-13 Member: 184784Members
    YOclan is pretty good, if you don't mind spending 20 minutes trying to get in.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    despair wrote: »
    IS THIS GAME DEAD

No
  • WingflierWingflier Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183769Members
    It may not be dead but I certainly won't be playing again until there's some kind of competent team balancing or matchmaking system in place.

NS2 is an amazing game but I see no reason why any player would want to subject themselves to the horrible and constantly acknowledged team stacking that's been happening since basically launch. Even if you're on the "winning" (stacked) team, I don't see how pub stomps are fun.
  • DarakainDarakain Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wingflier wrote: »
    It may not be dead but I certainly won't be playing again until there's some kind of competent team balancing or matchmaking system in place.

NS2 is an amazing game but I see no reason why any player would want to subject themselves to the horrible and constantly acknowledged team stacking that's been happening since basically launch. Even if you're on the "winning" (stacked) team, I don't see how pub stomps are fun.

Check out the /r/ns2 pick up games, they happen every night and are usually fairly balanced. 2 people will volunteer to command, then they alternate picking players from best to worst. If you're new you might be last pick, but it's definitely a much better experience than pub ns2.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Darakain wrote: »
    GOOD POINT!

I GET IT, LOL!
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Depends on what time of the day in your location you are playing.
    In Australia after work hours, can't even get on the servers they are all full :)
    During work hours, nudda.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It died quite gradually.
  • WingflierWingflier Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183769Members
    edited November 2013
    Wingflier wrote: »

Check out the /r/ns2 pick up games, they happen every night and are usually fairly balanced. 2 people will volunteer to command, then they alternate picking players from best to worst. If you're new you might be last pick, but it's definitely a much better experience than pub ns2.
    Just checked the NS2 reddit on Halloween night. Unless I'm doing something wrong I don't see any games starting there (I sorted by "hot" and "new"). http://www.reddit.com/r/ns2/?count=25&after=t3_1onvy5

As I said, I love NS2, as far as ingenuity and design goes, it beats basically any other FPS out there right now by a large margin. However, I just can't bring myself to play it when I'm guaranteed to get stuck in a shitty pub stomp.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    I downloaded the patch as soon as it was up, and kept waiting for servers to update... cause i couldnt join any servers! Took too long!! (yes it was 5am for me but w/e, i rarely sleep during the night! :P)
  • patpat Join Date: 2013-06-15 Member: 185569Members
    might as well be, i'm banned from almost every populated server for "hacking"

this game seriously has more hackusations than i've ever seen in fps