[Linux] Unusable number keys on AZERTY keyboard

AnAkInAnAkIn Join Date: 2006-09-18 Member: 58020Members
edited October 2013 in Technical Support
I am unable to use most of the number keys (0-9) to switch weapons on my AZERTY keyboard. The problem is that with an AZERTY keyboard you need to press SHIFT+1 for example if you want to write 1, so I have tried rebinding the same keys without the SHIFT modifier in the NS2 options, but it just doesn't work for most of them as if I just didn't press any key.
Here's the AZERTY keyboard layout:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d6/Azerty_fr_laptop.svg
When I try to set & as the slot1 key, the option menu shows "2" (wtf?), but this one works.
When I try to set é, " for slot2/slot3 keys, nothing happens.
When I try to set ' for slot4, the option menu shows "Apostrophe", so I guess it works.
When I try to set ( for slot5, the option menu shows "9" (wtf?), but I guess it works.

I am used to switch weapons with these keys, it's quite annoying to have to do it with the mouse wheel now.

PS: It works fine on Windows.

Comments

• ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    edited October 2013
    So, the only one that does not work is é?
    I will try to play around with it and see what I can come up with.

edit: It seemed to work for me. no binding changes from the defaults and the hot keys worked.

It seems really odd that wasd/my qwerty binds work with a azerty keyboard.
  • AnAkInAnAkIn Join Date: 2006-09-18 Member: 58020Members
    Actually, only slot1 (&) works, the other ones don't have any effect at all.
    Still not fixed with latest build, I can't switch weapons.
  • mattiemattie belgium Join Date: 2010-08-03 Member: 73439Members
    i think i have a similar problem on linux with azerty. When I try to configure the key binds for my weapons, only decimal values show up, like "#31", but it doesn't work. I basically can't configure my weapons which is quite annoying. IIRC it used to work though..
    screenshot: http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/612791846050264042/A46A3030544509700E00D466FD33BDE74B46FCC8/
    Yes, the naming of the keys did change to #30 #31 etc with an update, unfortunately the keys still don't work.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    For now I think you'll have to switch your layout for NS2.
    If you can buy a qwerty it would be even better and beneficial in all programs compared to azerty ;)
    Are you serious? Buying another keyboard to play a game? Are you trolling?
    If we're using azerty keyboards in France there is a reason, qwerty keyboards aren't in any way better.
    Yes, for an absolutely stupid reason. Btw qwerty is used nearly everywhere for stupids reasons too, but not as much as the azerty.

And it's not for only one game, but for all games and all programs. Believe me you can't go back after switching.
    You get away from a lot of bugs in tons of games and programs, and moreover it's way more ergonomics regarding shortcuts and usability of programs (and saying ergonomics and qwerty in the same sentence is hard for me).
    NS2 is the only game/program I have issues with.
    Anyway, I am not changing my keyboard and I just want a developer to recognize the issue and possibly fix it, as the game is basically unplayable for me and anyone living in countries that have keyboards which are quite different from qwerty.
    So people from France, Belgium, using Linux. I don't think it will get a lot of attention.
    Especially when it takes seconds to configure your OS to tell NS2 to use qwerty and get rid of any issues.

Or maybe you can try to edit the NS2 config files manually to force the keys.
  • abelthorneabelthorne Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187171Members
    Same problem for me (french Ubuntu).
    Regnareb wrote: »
    Yes, for an absolutely stupid reason. Btw qwerty is used nearly everywhere for stupids reasons too, but not as much as the azerty.
    And it's not for only one game, but for all games and all programs. Believe me you can't go back after switching.
    Are you aware that in french we use a lot of accentuated characters and such that are not on such a keyboard? To write in french, a QWERTY keyboard is completely unusable. So, no, buying another keyboard is not a solution at all. Same goes for a lot of european languages that have this kind of specificities.

A real solution would be to fix this bug. Because it's a bug from the game.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I checked and this wasn't on our bug tracker. It's now been added, but sorry no idea when it will be fixed.
    abelthorne wrote: »
    Are you aware that in french we use a lot of accentuated characters and such that are not on such a keyboard? To write in french, a QWERTY keyboard is completely unusable. So, no, buying another keyboard is not a solution at all. Same goes for a lot of european languages that have this kind of specificities.
    You can have accents on a Qwerty and it's actually way better and faster than on an Azerty. I personally press Right Alt+' and you got yourself an accent you can put on any letter you want!
    You don't have to press Alt but I prefer to, it's just a matter of preference. If you don't want to press Alt just use the Qwerty international layout.
    In fact, the Alt key just activate that international layout for when you press the Alt key. It reverts back to simple Qwerty when you release Alt.
    It may sound confusing at first, but it is very useful ;)

I don't know about Ubuntu, but I know that in KDE Suse it is very easy to set up.
    You can have accents on a Qwerty and it's actually way better and faster than on an Azerty.

Are you serious ? Did you already have an Azerty keyboard ? I guess not.
    Obraxis wrote: »
    I checked and this wasn't on our bug tracker. It's now been added, but sorry no idea when it will be fixed.

Thanks, I hope this'll get looked at, NS2 is pretty much unplayable because of this.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    Maybe you can try to set your keyboard settings to QWERTY, then bind the appropriate keys (bind console) and then change settings back until then.

Also get a Swiss keyboard, I can perfectly write in German, French and its QWERTZ. Even easier to write in French with than with AZERTY:
    900px-KB_Swiss.svg.png
    Yes, it's kind of obvious we're going to buy a new keyboard and adapt to it just because of a bug in NS2.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's not a "bug", its a "change request". If it's a bug, its one in Linux...
    Of course it's a bug, NS2 detects the keyboard layout correctly on Windows, and all Valve games on Linux are detecting it correctly as well.
    edited July 2014
    Its also not a bug if an English game isn't translated to e.g. Armenian, Africaans, French, etc. The same goes for spezialized minor keyboard layouts like AZERTY or QUERTZ or some kind of Asian keyboard.
    It's fine if it's supported, but not a bug if it's not.
    Also NS2 isn't a Valve game, it's not even running in Source.

But worry not, there's a whole of 3 new Linux CDT members now where you can send your change request to.
    It's two different things. It IS a bug that it does not works on some others keyboard layouts, it should work flawlessly.

AnAkIn > Buying a Qwerty keyboard would not be only for NS2, but for every other game and computer program made out there.
    It fixes a lot of problems and bugs in a lot of softwares, and it fixes also a lot of ergonomic way of using those softwares/games. Shortcuts for example are way more intuitive and intelligent.
    And accentuated and special characters are also way better to use on a Qwerty.

• KwaadpepperKwaadpepper Join Date: 2015-08-23 Member: 207408Members
    edited August 2015
    AnAkIn wrote: »
    I am unable to use most of the number keys (0-9) to switch weapons on my AZERTY keyboard. The problem is that with an AZERTY keyboard you need to press SHIFT+1 for example if you want to write 1, so I have tried rebinding the same keys without the SHIFT modifier in the NS2 options, but it just doesn't work for most of them as if I just didn't press any key.
    Here's the AZERTY keyboard layout:
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d6/Azerty_fr_laptop.svg
    When I try to set & as the slot1 key, the option menu shows "2" (wtf?), but this one works.
    When I try to set é, " for slot2/slot3 keys, nothing happens.
    When I try to set ' for slot4, the option menu shows "Apostrophe", so I guess it works.
    When I try to set ( for slot5, the option menu shows "9" (wtf?), but I guess it works.

I am used to switch weapons with these keys, it's quite annoying to have to do it with the mouse wheel now.

PS: It works fine on Windows.

It's been 2 years now, and suprise the bug is still here.
    This is no linux related problem.

I'm using the last kernel version, last plasma, KDE, kubuntu version, still there is this really annoying issue.

Unity engine fixed this problem, and source engine did too (unable to parse non ascii chars).

Seriously i don't think this is asking too much to fix that shit.
    Also to anyone saying to switch keyboard layout, well i did it, and it fixes nothing.

I hope you guys can checkout on this, it is this kind of small bug making a game annoying.

i tried modifying the file options.xml.

<Weapon2>é</Weapon2>
    <VoiceOverHostiles>None</VoiceOverHostiles>
    <Weapon3>"</Weapon3>

Notice i wrote in first place : <Weapon3>"</Weapon3>, it replace with the html notation, still is visible correctly in game as "

Still keys aren't working. I just can't plan like gorge without theses, have no solution or clue yet.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I have an experimental patch that should fix this issue. We are pretty late in the 276 development cycle, so no promises for the next patch.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    @Kwaadpepper this will be fixed for the next patch.
    Thank you, for every one, and linux users !!! :smiley:
    actually, windows users where affected as well. but somehow it was less of an issue there (but i still dont understand why)
    Well this is very strange, because the game can't be played to my knowledge with out using shorcuts, even mouse wheel won't make people able to build things using gorge. So i guess we will see if it fixes the issue, on every platform.

I wonder how if it affects also windows users, people are actually playing gorge ?
    Its about "special" keys, like ö ä è etc that cant be used for any keybinding (well, except the console toggle somehow). Next patch fixes this.

I didn't have an issue with my mouse for any binding under linux, but i will double check later.
    edited September 2015
    Well my weird thing is when i try to assign & to slot1 it gives #30, é ->#31 "->#32 '->apostrophe ( -> #34

under /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/fr

i can see

key <AE01> { [ ampersand, 1, onesuperior, exclamdown ] };
    key <AE02> { [ eacute, 2, asciitilde, oneeighth ] };
    key <AE03> { [ quotedbl, 3, numbersign, sterling ] };
    key <AE04> { [apostrophe, 4, braceleft, dollar ] };
    key <AE05> { [ parenleft, 5, bracketleft, threeeighths ] };
    key <AE06> { [ minus, 6, bar, fiveeighths ] };
    key <AE07> { [ egrave, 7, grave, seveneighths ] };
    key <AE08> { [underscore, 8, backslash, trademark ] };
    key <AE09> { [ ccedilla, 9, asciicircum, plusminus ] };
    key <AE10> { [ agrave, 0, at, degree ] };