What's going on?

2»

Comments

• MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Meanwhile in straya, 2 maybe 2.5 full public servers at MOST any night of the week.

Despite that, I sometimes wonder how many people are queued up to join those servers. When a few people jump into a new server, it doesn't take too long to fill up.

• sglee241sglee241 Join Date: 2006-12-30 Member: 59321Members, Constellation
    whatever. NS2 is completely dead in asia. dont even support localization until now. so much disappointed why i bought this game. even i constellate ns1, special edition of ns2.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    I thought a lot of the changes looked really amazing, but I haven't been on just because of work / school

I'm sure many might be in the same boat as I see this type of thread almost every time I sneak back in to see what's currently rolling

Skulk Bite back to broke is a shame, but besides that I'd probably just say wait till Semester break and you might see a surge of people return
    (even without a sale)
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited October 2013
    @ironhorse

no offense but to me that's an empty browser, not literally empty, but empty to the fact I'd just close the game because it looks like there's no where to play

Cross out majority due to ping, cross out the other half due to unenjoyable player counts, and cross out the other half for being overly modded to where I don't want to join

Of course that's personal preference, but I would just swap to another game if my browser came up like that (and yes I'm one of those anti-modification people, I've had some terrible experiences with 1.6 back in the day....... never again) - don't get me wrong I love modding, but I don't love downloading mods that I do not want
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    Personally i don't have many options to play in ns2, but it's hellava more than im used to from ns1. So i'm fine with it per say, there is a certain lack of a strong community administrated server hub to continuously play on, with reasonable slot sizes. Since i don't particularly want to play on server higher than 18 slot size. I would prefer 16 slots, but don't really have any of those.

Oh and, combat servers that don't lag, or the smaller slot sizes. That'd make me a happy panda, need to get easy places to get in shape for shooting after breaks. I guess i should write Santa..
  • SjNSjN Join Date: 2003-01-07 Member: 11983Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Neoken wrote: »
    Ah, people have been saying this game is dying since 2012, yet it's still here, getting updates, and seeing servers fill up every evening.

numbers don't lie. ;)
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Mouse wrote: »
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Meanwhile in straya, 2 maybe 2.5 full public servers at MOST any night of the week.

Despite that, I sometimes wonder how many people are queued up to join those servers. When a few people jump into a new server, it doesn't take too long to fill up.

Hm, that's true, often I actually DO try and play but after sitting in server queue for 20 minutes I give up and leave.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    after tons of reworking the game isnt as fun anymore due to the simultaneous lowering of alien acceleration and introduction of movement bugs as gameplay features.

Of course, some very silly people (ironhorse) love to parrot about how its neccasarry to make movement look fluid, but its apparantly okay for marines to lack momentum but not aliens.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    still the biggest problem for me is the server queue system.

i have 3-4 above average (few rookies) community pub servers which i enjoy playing on, every other server is stuffed with rookies and boring as hell. but when my 3-4 servers are full/empty, i'm basically stuck in the lobby waiting to join a game for on average 30 minutes.

it's ridiculous... most days i only have an hour of time to play so it's basically not even worth loading up the game in the first place.

my solution = queue for multiple servers + ability to queue for multiple servers WHILE IN ANOTHER SERVER. this is the only way to get me spending my precious 1 hour in NS2 over CS:GO or TF2 which are comparitively superior.

50 minutes of good gameplay is more valuable than 15 minutes of great gameplay.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    SjN wrote: »
    Ah, people have been saying this game is dying since 2012, yet it's still here, getting updates, and seeing servers fill up every evening.

numbers don't lie. ;)

Yes, that's something people have been saying for over a year as well. I'm looking forward to another year of "NS2 is dying" threads.
    fwe19mX.png

:D
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Mattk50 wrote: »
    Of course, some very silly people (ironhorse) love to parrot about how its neccasarry to make movement look fluid, .
    I assume you are talking about the only opinion i gave on that matter, that the animation bugs and exploits that were present with such acceleration and could not be fixed, and thus had a negative impact on gameplay? That was me "parroting"?

Just so I get this straight - you are advocating glitchy, buggy exploitable animation that negatively impacts typical player tracking?? (not even going to mention the obvious balance impacts it has even if the animations were somehow fixable)

• MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    Same issues as always. People get frustrated and quit after 2-3 bad games in a row due to stacked teams or whatever. Except now they go play GTAV or whatever and don't come back like they used to.
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    SjN wrote: »

numbers don't lie. ;)

Yes, that's something people have been saying for over a year as well. I'm looking forward to another year of "NS2 is dying" threads.
    fwe19mX.png

:D

hm, looks like it is time for a new free weekend soon ;)

(maybe with a little better performance and PR this time)

• Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    popolito wrote: »

Wow judging by that it looks like ns2 has only managed to keep a core of players a few times above what we had in beta, going by average, it's basically long time fans who have stuck with the game plus a few hundred they managed to keep from sales, im not sure how long a game can survive or be considered alive with that amount.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Electr0 wrote: »
    popolito wrote: »

Wow judging by that it looks like ns2 has only managed to keep a core of players a few times above what we had in beta, going by average, it's basically long time fans who have stuck with the game plus a few hundred they managed to keep from sales, im not sure how long a game can survive or be considered alive with that amount.

It's enough to fuel ongoing development. That's "alive" in my book.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Electr0 wrote: »

What I find strange is that that "core" changes, from month to month, people who fanatically played the game through Feb-Mar-Apr are not the same people who slogged through May-Jun-Jul and I recogonise about 10-15 names for the people filling up most servers now in Aug-Sep-Oct, so they've managed to lose their core supporters 2-3 times.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    When looking at the poll recently created by CrushaK, you can see that the vast majority of forumgoers joined the game during alpha, beta, or steam release, with very few joining afterward. So it would appear that the game has a small but constant core who have been playing for years, but struggles to bring in any new players.

I don't think NS2 will fully "die" anytime soon, but I also can't see a permanent increase in its playerbase.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013

The player count has been reducing steadily since 2012:
    http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&jstime=1&appid=4920&from=1344290400000&to=End+Time

Competitive "scene" has shrunk as well. Compare the amount of teams in ENSL Season 1 vs Season 3.

Though, it's still not close to being dead.