Grenades drop like welders

KomsomolKomsomol Ireland Join Date: 2009-07-08 Member: 68085Members, Reinforced - Gold
Just a simple suggestion, when you die and you hold grenades, they should drop to the ground for others to pick up and use just like welders. Same with mines now that I think about it, I find it pretty annoying when i spend 3 res on nades or 15 res on mines only to die before I have a chance to use them. If it works with welders, surely it could be transitioned to grenades/mines?

Comments

• CD121CD121 Join Date: 2013-04-04 Member: 184635Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It actually does work with mines, but I digress. It seems like a reasonable request to me.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Yeah mines drop like any other weapon. Giving your post an agree as it should be this way, I'm sure its on the to-do list
  • Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    +1 for Marines and comander can drop for 5 res = 2 Grenade :))
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    edited October 2013
    the whole dropping and picking up mechanic is unfair to aliens. how come when i die as alien after spending res on a higher life form, it's gone for good? now if i do the same to a marine with advanced weapons, they can easily get their stuff back or even other marines can pick it up. a marine can die with 25 res flamer, 15 res pack of mines, 3 res welder... and it can all be salvaged by other marines and even returned to the original owner. how is this fair?

there are a lot of questionable mechanics in this game that are in favor towards the marines.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    @ns2isgood...

Umm... ok?

Anyway, you can bile weapons now and they go bye-bye, so all good.
    edited October 2013
    dragonmith wrote: »
    @ns2isgood...

Umm... ok?

Anyway, you can bile weapons now and they go bye-bye, so all good.

That rarely ever happens. I almost always recover my weapons, unless they're deep in the enemy base or really far away from spawn. Even then it can be recycled or held by a teammate to return it to you.
    edited October 2013
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    the whole dropping and picking up mechanic is unfair to aliens. how come when i die as alien after spending res on a higher life form, it's gone for good? now if i do the same to a marine with advanced weapons, they can easily get their stuff back or even other marines can pick it up. a marine can die with 25 res flamer, 15 res pack of mines, 3 res welder... and it can all be salvaged by other marines and even returned to the original owner. how is this fair?

there are a lot of questionable mechanics in this game that are in favor towards the marines.

Because the game is asymmetrical. Marines may be able to pick their weapons back up if they run back to them but remember aliens are mobile enough that they can usually (not always) pick their fights and run if they encounter problems. Marines on the other hand have to stand their ground when they run into most aliens as they have no chance of outrunning them.

That may be the case early game, but when marines get jetpacks, they can easily retreat from attacks and chase down running life forms. Don't forget medpack spam, nanoshield, etc can also assist, making it even easier to achieve.
  • PseudoKnightPseudoKnight Join Date: 2002-06-18 Member: 791Members
    But with jetpacks they lose their jetpacks. Meds and nano are another res sink.

Having played NS2 before weapon pickups, I think it was worse. The timeout on them is pretty well balanced right now, I think.

It's usually a mistake to compare alien and marine abilities. Your conclusion is almost always going to be "they're different, and this one's worse!" Well, yeah.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    joohoo_n3d wrote: »
    also, if you get killed while 'priming' the grenade it should detonate after death!
    Cop out...its breaks balance and prolongs turtles.

At the most marines weapons should only be recoverable by the marine that died....not any marine that wanders past.

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Grenades are already too easy to obtain and instead of making them even easier to get they need to be harder to get.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    I think you could pick them up in ns1 if I remember correctly. Or perhaps I am just confusing with CS.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Before we worry about more things to pickup, can we fix the current pickup system. Like, have a separate pickup and drop key. Right now, when I want to pick up a welder, I usually drop my primary, followed by my pistol :-(, because the pickup and drop key are the same. Can we make a different key to drop (say "T", and leave "G" as the pickup key. That way, I can stop dropping my SG when I am trying to pickup the damn welder.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    T'would be nice if we could just bind individual functions and have several binds per individual function. mmhmm.
    But then im just dreaming.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Before we worry about more things to pickup, can we fix the current pickup system. Like, have a separate pickup and drop key. Right now, when I want to pick up a welder, I usually drop my primary, followed by my pistol :-(, because the pickup and drop key are the same. Can we make a different key to drop (say "T", and leave "G" as the pickup key. That way, I can stop dropping my SG when I am trying to pickup the damn welder.
    @SamusDroid, import the last stand pick up system.