Natural Selection 2 Build 258 is now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Instead of giggling about it why don't you say what you think it is that makes marines look like silly ninjas in the recent patches. I always thought acceleration was the culprit.
  • MrRadicalEdMrRadicalEd Turrent Master Join Date: 2004-08-13 Member: 30601Members
    xDragon wrote: »
    There is both a cooldown on strafejumps, and a slowdown applied on land for marines. The fact of the matter here is 95% of the people complaining about strafe jump have absolutely 0 clue on how it works, or why its removal will change almost nothing. The problem is not the small amount of speed you gain from a strafe jump.

The double jump from ns1 was way more useful that the crappy strafe jump thats in ns2 currently, and about equally as situational. However most people here probably dont even know what that was.

You can still bypass/null the cool down by completely changing the direction of the strafe jump. You wont go exactly where you want, but you can still out juke a skulk.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    edited October 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Kamamura wrote: »
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Inb4 rage that strafe jump wasn't nerfed. B-)

I am passed rage

Fixed, god damn it I hate this misspelling more than any other in the English language.
    It's "to be past something", not "to be passed something". It implies being beyond something and has absolutely nothing to do with the verb "to pass". To be fair, being past an emotion doesn't really make any sense and one would use "beyond" instead, but you still incorrectly corrected someone's grammatically correct spelling and raged about it. Thumbs down buddy!
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    No you cannot, the cooldown is unrelated to the direction your jumping. That cooldown does not stop you from jumping however, just strafe jumping... Which as I said before I suspect most people that are here complaining about the strafe jump do not understand exactly what it is or does... To repost my own comment:

Strafejump only adds +1 m/s to your current speed, the rest comes from the normal ground/air acceleration of the marine.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Good things first: I tested a map for a long time and didn't crash. I hope that continues in a real match.

Things I noticed:

- Matured Whips can be powerful or completely useless. They still tend to hit walls and props and not enemy structures, they ignore enemies in melee attack range when they just used BB (you can just run past them without damage) and they are decloaking. That means a cloaked formation of whips in a corridor is a nice trap until they become mature and use BB automatically... -> give us the option to turn off range attacks pls.

- There were walls corrupted in Yakushima and two corridors are not connected to the nav_mesh now. Can't cyst there and drifters can't use these ways. One of those ways is built with normal catwalk props, so I have no idea why the game wouldn't accept it as passage. And Exos don't take damage inside a death trigger with DOT. If you get out, you will die though. Is that intended?

- If I set light entities to another color code, they will automatically reset to white.

And since when does the Onos start without charge? wtf...
  • MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
    Tried 2 matches on Tram and Refinery. On tram i got almost +20fps boost(80~100fps), while i got -40fps(having like 20~30 fps. On 257 it was probably at least more than 60fps) on Refinery. But that match on refinery was the first one so, I'm gonna try more.

And i'm having 8GB ram and GTX765m
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    Vengaboy wrote: »
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    Did they really not tone down the marine jumping? The only people defending that change are the people that play nothing but marines.

I play aliens just as much as marines and I have no problem with the SJ. If you expect to get a kill from sitting on the floor and holding mouse1 you deserve to die. Control your bites, use the walls, and try to attack in places that give the best alien advantage. AKA use your brain. I mean, you already have the advantage of walking on every surface, jumping/running at incredible speed, and throw in the "phantom" ability... if that combination doesn't get you kills then your not using the skulk properly.

Typical response trying to put blame on the player skill instead of the issue at hand. Get good bro, don't be a floor skulk.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    xDragon wrote: »
    There is both a cooldown on strafejumps, and a slowdown applied on land for marines. The fact of the matter here is 95% of the people complaining about strafe jump have absolutely 0 clue on how it works, or why its removal will change almost nothing. The problem is not the small amount of speed you gain from a strafe jump.

The double jump from ns1 was way more useful that the crappy strafe jump thats in ns2 currently, and about equally as situational. However most people here probably dont even know what that was.

You have a very specific data set about strafe jump and the individual views and knowledge of people on these forums. I hope you are getting paid good in your marketing statistics career, because you are a master if you can back up these claims with proof.

Also, I always found wiggle walking or wallwalking usually more useful than the double (iirc with a third small hop if you were really good) jump in NS1 for speed.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    And since when does the Onos start without charge? wtf...

been like this for a while, hasnt it?
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    For pure speed in NS1, yes you are generally right. However in combat, using wiggle walk or wallwalking would be mostly suicide, where a well placed dodge followed up with a doublejump, or a doublejump back after peeking a corner was huge, much more useful than the small +1ms boost you get from a strafejump in NS2.

I know exactly how the strafejump works in NS2, and I know what problems people here are complaining about. While the strafe jump does add a small bit of extra speed, its not the source of the problem, nor even the largest contributor. The marine acceleration was increased in the same patch that the strafe jump was added, to be equal with the skulk. The skulk also has a slightly higher ground friction. Those changes, coupled with how most people play skulk (battering ram style) means that many people attempt to attack a moving marine by crashing into him. Doing this causes you to loose all your speed, while the marine continues along at full speed. Couple that with the fact he can now get that full speed very quickly in an ambush situation, and the fact that he can get an extra 1m/s from jumping while strafing left/right, and suddenly you have a large gap between you and the marine after a successful ambush.

The solution there is unfortunately not one people here will like... Its to change how you ambush as skulk. You don't want to collide head on with a moving marine, you want to try to strafe along with him... But even if you play skulk well you should not look to win 50% of your 1v1 engagements, thats not how the early game balance works currently.

I do think that the strafe jump is too easy to pull off for the reward, but I firmly believe that its removal will not fix the problem people are having - now that the marine can accelerate as fast (or even a little faster) than a skulk, the balance of 1v1 engagements will tip in favor of the marine. This is a problem, but not one that can be fixed by just reversing the changes, that would just hand the game back to the aliens. You need to fix the problems with the core mechanics of the aliens so that skulks can be balanced as equals to vanilla marines.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    You say this as if none of us knew marine accel got increased, I thought it was obvious from the first few seconds of play (and seen no need for it, frankly). The increased accel coupled with a circle strafe + jump has made things a hell of a lot easier for marines v skulks.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    As a A0W0 Marine I don't give two craps about a skulk. The only way to lose that is to fail at aiming or run out of mouse mat. You can easily out pace a skulk for a jump or two, after which you should have unloaded an entire clip.

+1*10^46

This. Is. It.

But I won't get upset, since I don't play much anymore, so ... lalala...
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    edited October 2013
    Max wrote: »
    We are working on solving issues with non-US keyboard layouts that were introduced in the Reinforced patch. I don't know if this is what you mean by keybindings.

For one part yes; but there's more.

As you're here (and i thank you for that) i'll explain in detail. Sorry for the length and / or grammar. English isn't my first language and i often traduce directly from my language to English though i know i shouldn't. Reflexes...

"Key assignment": Let me tell you why i play video games though i'm too old for that sh*t! ( :) ).

HL1 was a good game but what made it "ultimate" for me was :
    1 Tutorial, so you could train gestures (mouse sensitivity), moves, key sequences (ex: big jump).
    2 In game option panel. Changing things at any time was cool.
    3 Huge load of key that could be assigned (primary and secondary).
    4 Open system that allow many things (yes too much open: exec etc...).

This is an ideal situation for a left handed. In this kind of game players ultimately rely on reflexes. So one must not be looking for it at all (wher'tha key for... hmmm???). Reflexes are useless without proper actions. When you are forced to do thing "not your way" because of something else; it's never welcomed.

Why NS1 was a success for me is because it inherited these HL1 traits. You could have plenty of keys available, you could change config during game by using "exec confXXX.cfg" OR "commandmenu.txt" stuff (most important when exec was banned) which was perfect.

When a player feels comfortable with maneuvers, everything feels better. I threw away many games because of this precise matter. No mercy what so ever on bad option panel / key "management". PC games cannot be developed the same as console for example. The controller will have an influence on the gameplay.

You probably as many fellow here played a game that was a "port" from Xbox. Let me think... hmmm ... lost planet? The one you're on an ice planet with some kind of "heat back pack" as an energy bar. You have some extras action you can configure. So you end up reconfiguring all actions to fit your need. At some point you get in a "meca" but oh surprise keys just don't work... what the he!!???...
    -and then you realize you have to confront the last boss in a meca,
    -and you needs key sequences to maneuver properly,
    -and every key is in a "default paddle" configuration,
    -and it's gonna take hours
    That is awkward.

Why i wish the same for NS2 ? :
    I used to have multiple configuration on NS1. Mainly it was, Marine, Alien, Fade and "Fade movement". The 2 last where Fades stuff. The last one was the "chase the rabbit config" depending on what tactics was chosen: "Rock solid fade" (warrior) or the "So annoying sneaky little bastard fade" (the rabbit) i could select the one that fit the best.

Also the Marine config was significantly different. I used to fire with space and aim with mouse. Mouse-wheel was jump. So i avoid unwanted movement of the mouse when firing (pressing buttons). It takes a little training but anyone can improve aim by 10% minimum to more. And if i wanted to strafe jump i could simply roll the mouse-wheel and get away.

This was cool and as any NS player did use "non standard" key config, i thought it would be taken under consideration for NS2.

Commander interface:
    It always has been an issue in NS1 concerning the commander interface. We could still configure it with a "text sequence". That did the trick. It was known by any decent NS player. I suspect every NS1 decent commander think with a little nostalgia of the "NUMPAD exquisite delicacy". Stop purring pls.

When testing NS2 i was surprised to find that commander interface was somehow like NS1 as it was not configurable (key assignment). I was hopping for more functionalities about that; like : "medpack, center on player and drop MP" special key and stuff like that. Commander rely on key sequence more than any field unit. I thought : "ok the game is young it will be solved soon enough".

I try to teach commanding when i can as the game need it. Teaching commander interface and keys is a pain in the ass while students (padawans; har har) are learning and find that the "icon grid" isn't the same on the keyboard.

Look:
    da1079e3abf52a6eb6a4231a59ac1b.jpg

Rows are mixed up. I do believe one the many frustrating and stressful thing is learning in public commanding with these "handicaps". Not to mention the "V"(oice) recycling issue. It can ruin the mood.

Automation:
    Mouse-wheel jump isn't a problem if it is processed right.
    Ex:
    -last inputs are about 10000 jumps.
    -"Input list buffer" goes through filter_commands() -> return 10000 jump = 1 jump!
    -Command list sent to server : 1/ jump. 2/ end
    instead of the actual 1/jump, 2/jump.... 9999/jump...

Pistol script can be disabled the same way. In fact you can go further with great accuracy and plenty of "nope you ain't gonna script that son". As it seems to be a concern on developer side.

I mean PG do bypass the actual restrictions. So you won't forbid mouse-wheel config in the end. Let it go. But make sure the client and server filter it properly. It will be better than restrictions and implement "cool-down countdown" everywhere in the code.

Want, want, want :
    To put it simply, i ask. I'm not alone on that matter.

I wish NS2 to have many "blank" key configuration and for the players :
    -being able to configure and name those configs;
    -then select/activate it in-game.

Configure it from option panel is good (no notepad hack). Make (say) 1 General config and 5 tabs under "keybinding" in option panel.

As we probably all have a minimum of 2 button + a clickable mouse wheel we could have :
    button 1(or any key) = "select weapon 1; fire". And so on for 2 and 3. Instead of selecting weapon with other means and then fire with another button.

At last: I don't play Marine anymore as i'm too f**k!ng lazy to get in the option panel. As many, i want fun and not "reconfiguring the keys" all the time.

==
    Edit: "thought" not "taught"! stupid auto correction...
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    So there WAS a problem related to shotgun fire. I have always experienced a slight lag of various length when firing a shotgun - a slight pause after the keypress before the shot went off, unlike with LMG. Glad to see it's being addressed.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    Anyone else getting micro-pauses when firing bilebomb?

Playing on DX11 fully maxed out, as before.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    Bile bomb may be doing what the shotgun was doing a bit... looks like anything that is a projectile can cause this effect??? Maybe MG is a hit scan wep and that's why it is fine... just guessing.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Here's a techsupport dump from a crash I had while playing on OpenGL.

I also have some interesting graphics corruption in OpenGL regarding colours and shadows.
    SeeVee wrote: »
    Bile bomb may be doing what the shotgun was doing a bit... looks like anything that is a projectile can cause this effect??? Maybe MG is a hit scan wep and that's why it is fine... just guessing.
    Dunno.
    Played again - this time on the 20player YO-clan server- and had no issues with bilebomb.
    Earlier on, I played on the 22pl EU#156.
    Connection to both servers is about the same.
    Paajtor wrote: »
    Dunno.
    Played again - this time on the 20player YO-clan server- and had no issues with bilebomb.

Team156 is a very laggy server.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Kamamura wrote: »
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Inb4 rage that strafe jump wasn't nerfed. B-)

I am passed rage

Fixed, god damn it I hate this misspelling more than any other in the English language.
    It's "to be past something", not "to be passed something". It implies being beyond something and has absolutely nothing to do with the verb "to pass". To be fair, being past an emotion doesn't really make any sense and one would use "beyond" instead, but you still incorrectly corrected someone's grammatically correct spelling and raged about it. Thumbs down buddy!

So I checked up on it, and you are correct, it can be used as a preposition to reference things that one has gone by. It's all about how it is written. I guess I over reacted to how often people use "past" over "passed" in just about every instance ever when it can only be used when related to time in some way.
  • BellumiBellumi Join Date: 2013-10-15 Member: 188712Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Haven't played for a while, glad to see the game runs better thanks to the latest patches. Used to have some stuttering issues before when playing..
  • Mac1OManMac1OMan Join Date: 2004-10-29 Member: 32510Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Whip damage to marines is awesome, it used to be like instant armor remover, now you still have a chance to save enough armor for one more bite.
    Tho it will be really hard to deal with exos with whips, I guess.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Whips didn't do much against exos anyway imo.
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    RadimaX wrote: »
    if a server is full and you get back to main menu the sounds get twice as loud! I recorded this video just for you UWE, enjoy the "soothing" sound effects.
    i have 30% out of 100% in the options. so hear the gradual difference in sound after couple of joins to a full server (lowerd it to like 5%) and windows sound is even 5% but still get 491305601361x louder:

http://www.twitch.tv/radimaks/b/470568861

It's borderline terrifying... It's like in jaws were the music gets louder and louder as Jaws gets closer and closer... scary shit :P
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    Side1Bu2Rnz9 haha true, but remember that i specificly dropped 70%ingame 95%inwindows volume to highltight the problem. those with full volume are however less fortunate.
    This eliminate disconnecting from servers or alt tabbing the game, i am so scared to go def after all this i have to CTRL+ALT+F4 and close the game just to be sure not to get another heart attack aswell.
    shonan wrote: »
    Dunno.

I play allot on both servers, and the 156 never had these issues..at least, not for me.
    But I'll try this server again.

shonan wrote: »
    Dunno.

I play allot on both servers, and the 156 never had these issues..at least, not for me.
    But I'll try this server again.

I'm just basing it in the fact that I often see that server in the server browser consistently below 40% performance, even on the new hardware.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I didn't play much on the 156 server since the playercount went up to 22, but when I did I had strange lags every few seconds.