I can't understand NS2 very basics not getting done right...

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @RejZoR
    You may have experience which does help. I have had people who were really good shots in other games come to ns2 and be terrible at first. The combat is so much faster than they were used to. This may not be the case with you.

"When i'm a lerk they seem to gun me down with 1/4 of a clip in like 1 second. When i'm shooting at lerk it feels like i'll need 2 clips and that damn thing still wouldn't F die."
    A skulk is roughly 12 bullets bullets to kill depending on carapace/regen and biomass. I have played against marines where I can not get near them whatsoever. If I even poke my head out to try to parasite, I am dead before I can take cover. When this happens I know that particular marine is good, really good. I can't do that to other players. Therefore that player has a far superior skill to me.
  • TiresaisTiresais Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169597Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    I think it must be your playing style RejZor - possibly you're being too gung-ho as an alien. All aliens are fragile, whilst marines become quite armoured in the late game. As a lerk you should only be trying to get one or two bites in and run away - you do have very weak armour. Always bite and fly towards the ceiling - unless they're a pro player they'll lose sign of you and you can then fly down and get a second bite with impunity. Possibly also your problem is that you're not accurate as a gorge - a gorge can kill a standard marine with 6 shots, so an accurate gorge can really decimate a marine with poor shooting. Moreover, you should be healing as you run away - your healing spray heals you as well as others.

Secondly, lerks can avoid a lot of marine fire by making jerky unexpected movements - if you watch competitive lerks they're always moving their view around sharply. If you fly straight as a lerk in combat it's very easy for marines to track you and take you down quickly, whilst if you're trying to kill a lerk moving around then you can easily waste a clip with minimal damage.

I have a similar amount of playing time to you (something like 210 hours), and once I learnt that ALL aliens are fragile, I started to live much longer in their skin. Similarly though, I play 50-50 aliens marines and I recommend you play some more marines. By playing them, you learn how not only you die, but how to kill marines effectively.

Hope it helps man!
  • HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe the reason why it feels inconsistent is because you don't play marines enough, and you're getting outplayed by people who are relatively better at aliens than you are at marines. Playing against good aliens can also help you learn all sorts of tricks that you can use to improve your alien play.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    There is no point in making pauses in fights because that just gives marines time to use medkits and you'll be fighting 1 marine for half a day if comm is healing him. Lerk poison is the most useless thing ever. That nibbling and flying away is a pointless waste of time as i haven't seen anyone ever die by it so far. Not myself or anyone else.

What works is fly around a marine like crazy and keep on biting him. Preferably catching him off guard by gliding silently to his back, making at least 1 risk free strike. Only thing that puzzles me is how the hell can anyone keep an aim on you if you're pretty much spinning around a marine at zero range. Unless the hitbox is then floating all over the place and marine will hit you regardless where he shoots since hitbox will be pretty much covering him, making him hit every single time even if he's not aiming at me at all.
  • HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    Well, it'd be kinda hard for someone to die from the poison of lerk bite seeing as how it isn't lethal. That's not the point of hit-and-runs anyway. It's to harass their armor down, create openings for teammates as marines attempt to shoot you while retreating, and make it easier in the very near future to commit to kills since they will have no armor.
  • reeqlreeql Join Date: 2013-05-05 Member: 185125Members
    I prefer lerk than the rest of lifeforms. Hes very lethal if you know how to do. Lerk is weak only vs rail exo and you must be carefull against jp sg. Its v good at crovd control, supporting team, oppening attacks, picking jp and exos from distance. If you combine gas, spikes and bite poison he has huge dps in game. You ecen dont have to be close to target. Its nice to see retreating group of marines because of 1 lerk.
  • ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    RejZoR wrote: »
    There is no point in making pauses in fights because that just gives marines time to use medkits and you'll be fighting 1 marine for half a day if comm is healing him. Lerk poison is the most useless thing ever. That nibbling and flying away is a pointless waste of time as i haven't seen anyone ever die by it so far. Not myself or anyone else.

What works is fly around a marine like crazy and keep on biting him. Preferably catching him off guard by gliding silently to his back, making at least 1 risk free strike. Only thing that puzzles me is how the hell can anyone keep an aim on you if you're pretty much spinning around a marine at zero range. Unless the hitbox is then floating all over the place and marine will hit you regardless where he shoots since hitbox will be pretty much covering him, making him hit every single time even if he's not aiming at me at all.

You would be better off playing as a Fade if all you are interested in is killing Marines. Lerk play is more about harassment and support. Umbra can make the difference between your team mates losing an engagement and winning one, and Spores is excellent for softening up a room full of marines for an attack. It costs the commander resources to spam med kits, but it also obscures the vision of Marines (which is more useful in my opinion). What you see when you deploy Spores is different to what the Marines see, to them it is a thick green cloud that makes tracking targets very difficult without an Observatory or room scan to highlight the aliens.
  • TiresaisTiresais Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169597Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I see your frustration RejZor - if you're facing a medpack spam then it's always better to retreat and wait for support. If you're not that patient (I wasn't for a long time) then just wait and res up for Onos. Fade can get nullified quite quickly since the recent patch and you have to do hit-and-run with them as well, whilst an Onos (esp. with stomp) can be megafun. Spinning around can be deadly though - it's much easier to track lateral movement than vertical so maybe that's your first problem. Instead of flying around try flying up, you'll be amazed how much more powerful you feel!
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited October 2013

dude your problem is you're playing the game wrong.

1) if the marine is getting healed and you have an opportunity to flee - then FLEE. you can head to an extractor, damage the extractor and force the marine to come to you. that means you are occupying a marine (maybe even more), which is almost as good as killing the marine since you are also contributing to destroying extractors. for aliens, i find that staying alive is often more preferable than killing a marine.

2) lerk poison does not kill; it doesn't drain hp lower than 1. but the continual hp drain does force an extra medpack and absolutely destroys marines without a decent commander (most pub commanders).

3) lerks are way easier to kill since AR bullets got the railgun treatment (increased radius). since the change, AR's are about twice as effective against them. nowadays you really can't risk 1v1ing a good marine without at least 1 ambush pre-bite and simultaneous spiking (which is easier to do as lerk than skulk). usually i flee instantly whenever i miss 2 bites - because against a decent marine if you miss 1-2 bites then you die. i flee after missing a single bite against a shotgun marine - but preferably you don't melee shotgun marines unless you have no choice.

4) it's pretty easy to aim as marine because there's usually only 1 viable movement the alien can make to bite the marine, if the marine prepares for and expects that one movement - he's going to be close to 100% accuracy. therefore you just should not 1v1 a marine unless you know you're more skilled, can surprise, ambush, or otherwise guarantee getting the kill (or at the very least not get killed yourself).
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    Maybe the reason why it feels inconsistent is because you don't play marines enough, and you're getting outplayed by people who are relatively better at aliens than you are at marines. Playing against good aliens can also help you learn all sorts of tricks that you can use to improve your alien play.
    I admit I also play way more alien than marine, but last time I did it was so hilarious. Even though I didn't get a notable amount of kills done, still it felt I could survive any skulk attack. 3 skulks were difficult. But 2 I could survive a fair amount of time. Often long enough to have a fellow marine catch up and gun them down for me.

2641519027_d8c90eb411.jpg
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Today i got killed as an Onos by a fucker jumping around with shotgun and i couldn't catch him for a kill. How painfully lame is that? We know jetpacks are Achilles's heel of Onos, but c'mon, a fuckin jumping marine!?!??! Sod off UWE with such BS.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    Today i got killed as an Onos by a fucker jumping around with shotgun and i couldn't catch him for a kill. How painfully lame is that? We know jetpacks are Achilles's heel of Onos, but c'mon, a fuckin jumping marine!?!??! Sod off UWE with such BS.

1) You were unable to kill a single hopping marine as an onos.
    2) You stayed in combat long enough to get killed by said single marine.

Surely there has to be more to this situation as that just sounds bad. Assuming a non upgraded zero biomass onos vs a W0 marine it is going to take roughly 20 seconds for that marine to kill you. Longer if you have carapace.
    It was. He was bunny hopping in front of me and i couldn't F catch him. So, even if i'd run away, he'd just keep on shooting me in the butt and kill me just the same. Such idiotic things should NEVER happen, regardless of how skilled the marine was. Because it makes no sense at all. That's like dual chaingun Exo getting taken down by a gorge regular spit in a CQB fight...
    edited October 2013
    A shotgun marine has a sprinting speed 6.19 (cant shoot and sprint) and a regular walking speed of 5.16 while the onos has a movement speed of 7.5 without celerity. You can run away faster than he chase you. Unless your in a long strait corridor where that is just easy. The shotgun has a wide spread and once you get a certain distance away he is going to be hitting you with less and less pellets. If for some odd reason you could not kill him, you should of been able to run away.
    The idea alone of 1 single non jetpacked marine defeating an Onos is just beyond idiotic regardless of the given situation...
    Really I have to say that you shouldn't die to a single marine - sorry to be confrontational but the fault lies with you. It's not the mechanics here, there were several decisions that have to have gone wrong for you to die in that situation

1) You went in unsupported - with a Gorge supporting you he'd run out of ammo before he killed you
    2) You missed multiple opportunities to hit him - bad aim and/or tracking.
    3) You failed to retreat when you lost your armour and a part of your heath - as I said aliens are fragile, you should have retreated
    4) You were unsupported - yea again if in the entire time this fight took place no other alien managed to catch up with you, then you were too far out in front.
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The idea alone of 1 single non jetpacked marine defeating an Onos is just beyond idiotic regardless of the given situation...
    And one single skulk can kill a dual exo, so what?

the point is, this marine had a superior movement compared to you, by far. and you failed to realize that in time and didn't retreat. So you deserved to die.
    Even as onos you are still a single lifeform. The onos is big, but it is not an invincible killing machine! Without support you will die quickly. Don't play alone! This is a team game!
    It's a fuckin ONOS, not a Skulk for god sake... it usually takes quite some time to take 1 onos out by several marines, not 1 single marine who's bloody abusing the dodge jumping crap. Hence, we are again at the strafe dodging nonsense... because i bet that was what he was doing.
    It's a fuckin ONOS, not a Skulk for god sake... it usually takes quite some time to take 1 onos out by several marines, not 1 single marine who's bloody abusing the dodge jumping crap. Hence, we are again at the strafe dodging nonsense... because i bet that was what he was doing.

Yeah it takes very long for one single marine. Why do you stay that long in combat if you see that you can't reach him?

I can't say how he jumped, but Oni could be soloed pre-reinforced, too. It is no easy task. It was never and it will never be. but if you manage to kill an onos solo without a jetpack, you deserved that kill! (and the onos the death...)
    edited October 2013
    Sounds like you got outplayed. Hard. Shouldn't even be difficult for an Onos of even moderate skill to track a solo groundbound marine by himself on a relatively flat plane and grind him into paste regardless of strafe jumping shenanigans, but you failed to do that and died. Accept it and move on.
  • Pet_GorgePet_Gorge Join Date: 2013-10-14 Member: 188695Members
    most of the stuff OP posted is exaggerated, but i agree with some points:
    * the bunny hopping is ridiculous. it gives the rines a big advantage in melee combat
    * jetpacks regenerate fuel too fast, a skilled marine player can kite aliens all day long
    * not sure about the shotgun. in the hands of a good player its overpowered, in the hands of a average player its mediocre. bad design imo, no weapon, except maybe a highend endgame weapon, should be able to 1-shot another player.

@tarquinbb You forgot something important: Use your ears! You have them for a reason. Being able to see doesn't help you if you can't the marine coming around the corner!
    NS2 3D audio isnt very helpful, you often gives wrong information, i.e.:
    * far away enemies sound like they are very close
    * sometimes the step sound doesnt play which means you cant hear marines
    * etc
    jetpacks regenerate fuel too fast, a skilled marine player can kite aliens all day long.

Tell me about it. I remember 2 skulks got occupied for incredibly long time in Departures chasing one fuckin marine that was floating around the hive pretty much indefinitely. It was pretty much pure luck that i snagged a bite and the other one made some as well. But i don't think i am exaggerating if i say it took a minute to kill the fuck and in the meanwhile he was using grenade launcher bombarding the hive, never really landing on the ground and completelly ignoring to "stupid" skulks pathetically trying to kill him by chasing him through walls and ground.

I don't care how fixing this nonsense would break the balance, but then again that's not my problem. It looks moronic and they need to fix it. Just like the dodge jumping. It's not my problem to solve the balance issue. I just don't want to see this crap in my otherwise favorite game. Not because i personally needed that long to kill that stupid marine, it's because such scenarios are stupid and should never happen to anyone. Ever. When they solve that, they can work on balance. But until then, when players find some lame twitches and bugs to score some ridiculous kills, F it.
    then players find some lame twitches and bugs to score some ridiculous kills, F it.
    neither strafe jump nor jetpack are bugged. Both working as intended. But I agree on that point with you. jetpack fuel should be nerfed a little bit. But not to much or it is worthless for those who didn't mastered it yet. (And this balance is very hard to find, I think.)

• MasterBatMasterBat Join Date: 2013-09-30 Member: 188533Members
    That marine who killed you as an onos in a 1v1 must be really proud...
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Er ... I get eaten and mowed down every day. Brutally.

BRUTALLY.

'Nuff said.
    MasterBat wrote: »

Proud of abusing a lame broken game combat system? He really must be incredibly proud...
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Marine jump is 1) stupid looking 2) abusive 3) making skulks useless apart from distraction, spying and structure dmg.
    Holy just nerf Alien somewhere and get rid of marine strafe jump. The jump is not a balance instrument. Alien still win more than Marines, but a win leaves a badtaste.
    I'm mainly play Gorge, so it hurts to: Balance ratio by nerfing Gorge. What do you think ?
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    MasterBat wrote: »

Proud of abusing a lame broken game combat system? He really must be incredibly proud...

Strafe jump is at it's weakest against onos since due to the fact they are massive, the jump doesn't require you to adjust the elevation of your crosshair at all.

If you literally got 1v1-from-full-health-solo'd by a single marine as an onos. Well, there are special schools and gated communities for people like you, sir.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    See, its funny because this can happen even without strafejumping. But it requires a special level of stupid.

Kind of reminds me of a time, back in the old deposit, where I faced an onos in 1v1 circumstances.

It was back when the tech point platform only had one set of stairs. I, the marine, would run up the stairs, wait for the onos to do the same, then hop the fence, wait for the onos to do the same. Due to my slightly better accelleration the onos couldn't catch me, so I whittled down his HP over what felt like hours. Eventually he turned tail and fled, only to fall to my pistol.

The guy was clearly full derp, and didnt realise he could have just stood between me and the stairs and I'd have had nowhere to run to.

That's the kind of moron I imagine you are, Rejzor.

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I can't wait to hear what amusing scenario we're going to hear about next. Currently I'm on holiday and can't play. This thread is keeping me entertained wonderfully.
This discussion has been closed.