The Monday Papers - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited October 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageThe Monday Papers - Natural Selection 2

This weekend, the Natural Selection 2 World Championship was announced. This Monday, the world started to take notice.

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    One day, I swear we will set this blog up so that the comment thread opens automatically. Until then, I shall continue to bump!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited October 2013
    If we fail, we gonna fail epicly!

I don't think you will manage to get 30.000$ :\
    If you do: Can we attend to the event if we manage to get there by ourselves?

And for long do you have this profile pic now? *suspicious face* :D

edit: Srsly. I don't remember if this already was your avatar yesterday, or the days before o.O
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts

If we fail then we will go down in blaze of fiery glory, and we will be stronger for it.

It is very likely that up to 50 free tickets will be available for anyone to attend the event in person, on a first come first served one-per-person basis.

And no... I just changed my avatar... I had the same one for about a year so decided it was time to freshen up! :D
  • frantixfrantix Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184063Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    One comment at PC Gamer:

"Hats off to them, the NS2 community is one of the best out there. I
    really hope they reach this $30k target - the last NSL finals held live
    in Cologne were ruined by technical difficulties and pointless "filler"
    in the casting before the last match, as one team was stomping the
    other.

With the balance changes brought about in the recent
    patches, a 4-team grand final should be amazing. Donated."

Now, "best" community, stop the negativity, get over the false hype, and prove if we're still such a good community.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    frantix wrote: »
    One comment at PC Gamer:

other.

Now, "best" community, stop the negativity, get over the false hype, and prove if we're still such a good community.

I actually prefer communities where dissenting opinions are allowed and encouraged over those where people insist that everyone think the same way about everything, maybe that's just me though.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Hugh wrote: »
    It is very likely that up to 50 free tickets will be available for anyone to attend the event in person, on a first come first served one-per-person basis.

Awesome!

One comment at PC Gamer:

other.

I actually prefer communities where dissenting opinions are allowed and encouraged over those where people insist that everyone think the same way about everything, maybe that's just me though.

You think this community is bad? You have no idea...
    edited October 2013

Awesome!
    One comment at PC Gamer:

other.

You think this community is bad? You have no idea...

edit: Fixed quotes.

edit2: Those darn quotes.
  • torbentorben Join Date: 2005-01-12 Member: 35060Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    best thing ever. uwe you will forever have my gaming heart, ns1+ns2 best games ever.
    wasabione and the rest of the ns2wc team keep on fighting.
    a bit of love from Denmark.

need more amo
  • xnorxnor Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187916Members, Reinforced - Gold
    hub3rtu2 wrote: »
    I wish news about fixes were this frequent...
    At the moment it's more like no news is good news. :P
  • CuelCuel Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181295Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    After spending 15 minutes trying to read the font pcgamer chose in that picture, I can safely say that I am dead
  • |DFA| Havoc|DFA| Havoc Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68375Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Zalamael wrote: »

Same here, but some of this negativity is way over the top. We are no worse off than we were 3 days ago, and yet some people are acting like they have been stabbed in the back just because they have no interest in eSports.

The bottom line is, if they aren't interested, then they don't need to contribute any cash. But as we all know, not contributing isn't enough of a 'statement', so they have to add their gripes to every thread in an attempt to drag the whole thing down.

Some of us are upset because UWE just asked us for money to continue developing NS2, and now UWE is offering to cover part of the expense of this tournament that only directly affects a handful of people. Think about it like this: If your brother asked for help because he was about to default on his mortgage and you gave him $30,000, and he then turned around and spent several thousand of those dollars on new golf clubs, wouldn't you be angry?

Some of us also feel like entirely too much emphasis and effort has already been dumped into trying to support/force the esports aspect of the game, at the expense of the non-competitive player. If the casual/pub experience hadn't been so dysfunctional for pretty much all of release, the game might have retained a larger percentage of the people who bought it or tried it out during free weekends, and the comp scene would have developed naturally on its own from that larger pool. At the very least, it could have developed with the help of the devs AFTER nailing down the fundamentals.

So yeah, it's kind of a slap in the face.
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can someone perhaps explain what the deal is with the clogs?

*Special CLOGS* for reward levels too! Everyone loves CLOGS, see below :)

One Contributor will win a trip to the LIVE Final

Clog = 1 Clog
    Extractor - 3 Clogs
    Crag = 7 Clogs
    Arms Lab = 12 Clogs
    Bio Mass = 20 Clogs
    Contaminate = 55 Clogs
    Prototype Lab = 120 Clogs
    Command Station = 250 Clogs

Does this give us extra clogs to use in game? Or are these points that go towards winning a trip to the final?

An explanation would be nice.

Thanks
  • MewSkittyMewSkitty Join Date: 2012-12-01 Member: 173805Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Yay!!! :DDDD
    Thank you so much guys!!
    Im happy and hopefully this would get more ppl to ns2 for bigger community for the real esport thinggy!

xxx
  • Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    Money Agrumenr >>> bla bla bla

F2P is the solution to make quick cash , but E-Sport games dont live because money

Well , except Call oF Duty : Bla bla sold over 10.000.0000 copies every years
  • |DFA| Havoc|DFA| Havoc Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68375Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Hugh

You mistake me, sir. I read your reply very carefully, and then I did it again twice more. I don't think you're a right prick at all - on the contrary, I think you're a great guy, and I love your enthusiasm for this wonderful/dysfunctional game. I never assumed you were lying about anything, simply far more optimistic about the potential benefits of the NS2WC to the overall community than I am. You say that you have numbers to support the decision however, I assume from previous tournaments, and I do believe you.

I too hope that the tournament is a success and brings more players into the community, though I remain skeptical. I'm afraid you won't be casting me any time soon either, as my interest in the game remains entirely in 'casual' play and I'm not good enough to compete at that level anyway, but I appreciate the sentiment. Moreover, I appreciate very much the time and the effort that you took to open a dialogue and address my complaint.

I love NS2 and I love UWE, and I want nothing more than for both to become wildly successful, but I have been growing increasingly frustrated/despondent with the course of development. I hope you understand that I am not just another hateful troll spewing vitriol, but that I am only as upset as I am because I care as much as I do.
    Plans were drawn up for continued development and content will begin arriving on the NS anniversary and thereafter.

Confirmed, it is!

:D
  • VirsoulVirsoul Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151977Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos
    Kalopsia wrote: »
    Does this give us extra clogs to use in game? Or are these points that go towards winning a trip to the final?

Oh my, could you imagine being able to use 250 clogs in a game? Thank would be something!

You were correct in your second question.

• ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    To be honest, I think Hugh's post has swung me somewhat. I'm not sure I agree that it will be as well received but if the cost will definitely be recouped then that makes it no risk and only good can come of it.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm afraid you won't be casting me any time soon either, as my interest in the game remains entirely in 'casual' play and I'm not good enough to compete at that level anyway, but I appreciate the sentiment.

I want to dispel this myth about comp gaming. While it is true that the top division clans have extremely talented gamers, and also that some of the lower division clans feature some great individual talent, the real difference between comp and pub mindsets lies in the teamwork and understanding between players. I know you pretty well, Havoc, and you're easily skilled enough to play in competition. Indeed there are many many pub-only players who would do well given some time spent training (by which I mean some pcw games) with teammates especially focusing on tactics and 6v6 awareness. The challenge we as a comp community face is getting people to realise that they DO have the skills required and to jump in to comp play headfirst!

I have to say it's a blast. When you first perfectly execute a team tactic that results in a win, oh boy that's quite the feeling! Beats any pub game I've ever played.

Competitive level ns2 should not be seen as the elite. It should become the standard!
  • TiresaisTiresais Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169597Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I think the major problem is the initial let down due to the hype. After a couple of days, I'm quite excited about the WC, but for the last two days I've been really angry at the way it was put across. Anyway I tried to donate but it doesn't like my card so I'm not sure how I can now - why did you use gofundme? Are there alternative avenues?
  • hub3rtu2hub3rtu2 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165478Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Roobubba wrote: »
    I'm afraid you won't be casting me any time soon either, as my interest in the game remains entirely in 'casual' play and I'm not good enough to compete at that level anyway, but I appreciate the sentiment.

I want to dispel this myth about comp gaming. While it is true that the top division clans have extremely talented gamers, and also that some of the lower division clans feature some great individual talent, the real difference between comp and pub mindsets lies in the teamwork and understanding between players. I know you pretty well, Havoc, and you're easily skilled enough to play in competition. Indeed there are many many pub-only players who would do well given some time spent training (by which I mean some pcw games) with teammates especially focusing on tactics and 6v6 awareness. The challenge we as a comp community face is getting people to realise that they DO have the skills required and to jump in to comp play headfirst!

I have to say it's a blast. When you first perfectly execute a team tactic that results in a win, oh boy that's quite the feeling! Beats any pub game I've ever played.

Competitive level ns2 should not be seen as the elite. It should become the standard!

Problem is with 6v6 being literally "no fun allowed" and boring. Fucking up once can cost you the game, you have to rely on aiming a lot as you have just 1 or 2 guys with you when split. (Not even taking into account microfreezes or fps drops that by Murphy's law always happen during an encounter, or crashes that happen even in comp) In 8v8+ pubs you can test some fun stuff, strategies and even if 2 team members are bad/do something stupid, it won't become an obvious lose after 5 minute mark.
    I'd rather play a 100 average 8v8 or 9v9 pub matches than 1 great 6v6.
    @Roobubba

I know I could play competitively if I was interested, and DFA has enough talent that I think we'd actually do quite well in the lower divisions, I was just referring to his particular comment about having a shot at the live studio semis and grand final. I'm nowhere near that good. :)
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    hub3rtu2 wrote: »

Problem is with 6v6 being literally "no fun allowed" and boring. Fucking up once can cost you the game, you have to rely on aiming a lot as you have just 1 or 2 guys with you when split. (Not even taking into account microfreezes or fps drops that by Murphy's law always happen during an encounter, or crashes that happen even in comp) In 8v8+ pubs you can test some fun stuff, strategies and even if 2 team members are bad/do something stupid, it won't become an obvious lose after 5 minute mark.
    I'd rather play a 100 average 8v8 or 9v9 pub matches than 1 great 6v6.

Who's not allowing anyone to have fun.. Or to experiment with different strategies or build orders. Have you ever actually played a 6v6 in an organised setting? Even in the top divisions teams have fun trying things outside of the normal.

Some moments are pivitol in deciding the outcome, and individual skill is rewarded. That's the entire point and why it is so interesting to play. The lower player count puts emphasis on positioning, map awareness and making your engagements really count. In a pub, this falls apart completely regardless of player count. Spammy, spammy!
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I have quite the opposite belief. I tend to find pubs boring and only enjoy the 6v6s... (not only scrims but pugs as well.) O_O

To each his own I guess.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @hub3rtu2 2 words:Air France

For those of you that missed this, skip to 4:35:

• hub3rtu2hub3rtu2 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165478Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    RedDog wrote: »
    @hub3rtu2 2 words:Air France

For those of you that missed this, skip to 4:35:

Oh come on, they won most if not all of the major encounters, they outplayed them with aiming, they could do whatever they want, then there's even 6v5 when alien comm wasn't "locked" in the hive, good times. It's just cute.
    I'm more interested in comebacks after the "turning point" a.k.a. "oh, it's not looking good for X"/"they can't get out or cap more RTs" using some fancy tactic. Except for bile rushes, those just aren't interesting to watch or even execute.

I've played a few organized 6v6s, each ended with egglock/iplock after a few minutes, there were always those guys with aimbot-like aim, good PC, no strategy needed. Of course such things would work if everyone was like that, it's hard to find 2 teams on the very same level. We wouldn't see dominating the other team with aiming alone, like in that video and the rounds before it, that often.
    Maybe in pubs you need spammy spammy, but you also need to know how to counter it by tactics, not by encounters and aiming alone. Sure, individual skill means less, but I like it more that way and I'm sure a lot other people too, looking at server caps and recent survey. Ultimately - to each his own, it's just that line about comp becoming a standard got me going, because I can't imagine 12 cap pub games getting past 15 minute mark, even without all this stacking going on.

On the other hand, what I kind of "like" (I guess I would not like it so much if I played in comp) about comp is how often balance changes are introduced, teams don't have time to figure out the perfect meta game so they have to experiment whether they like it or not. It creates an "artificial variability" of strategies. There was even one time when the changes were introduced one day before some league or something, right?