1 Year Anniversary of NS2...

joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
at least UWE & Hugh have another "big announcement" coming up in about 2 weeks that supposedly includes goodies or features for NS2.

...plus a little acknowledgement of any mistakes made would be nice...or you can just ignore it and know that the discussion may go away - though i fear the lack of faith will remain.

Comments

• _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    at least UWE & Hugh have another "big announcement" coming up in about 2 weeks that supposedly includes goodies or features for NS2.
    Instead of goodies how about an event? A reasonable event that includes all NS2 players for real. Like: "Lets all play NS2 at x GMT" or Gorges wearing birthday hats and marines shoot confetti. I know you can come up with something better.
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    no. they just did a big announcement about an event. now its time to make up for that.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    joohoo_n3d wrote: »

Link to this?
  • sglee241sglee241 Join Date: 2006-12-30 Member: 59321Members, Constellation
    maybe 75% sale and free weekend. and something more...
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Desther wrote: »
    Link to this?
    wish i could remember where i read or heard it but it was either hidden in one of hughs videos or posts, sorry i cant remember exactly where :\
  • WalsaWalsa Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106813Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    Introduction of ns2_birthday 1 in console please :)

And something like: performance improvement, reduced loading times, proper keybinding, reversed mouse wheel , enable master server browser with steam browser, sabot?, server side mods, etc
  • |DFA| Havoc|DFA| Havoc Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68375Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    sglee241 wrote: »

They need to stop doing these until they fix the game. So many wasted opportunities already, the well might already be dry.
  • MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
    I agree with Havoc. They lost so many opportunities cos of unstable patches (especially Reinforcement) before sale and free weekend. Reinforcement brought great features and balance, however it failed cause of crashes and performances. Once they get it nearly 'good enough' i think ns2 has still chance to be more successful as it deserves. The game itself is one of the charming(?) game ever, i've ever played.
  • BlueFalconBlueFalcon USA Join Date: 2013-10-07 Member: 188632Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Whatever they do I hope it involves another free weekend. I still feel not enough people know about this game...
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    plush gorge with a bonus party hat.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    NS2 birthday readyroom features with these things
    stock-illustration-10144830-party-horn-blower.jpg
    Just like when we could throw snowballs at Xmas :D
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    They're probably going to overhype the anniversary and put up some post detailing amazing new content that "veteran players will love"

Then it will be released a week late and more likely than not it will be kind of lame.

Also there will be another free weekend, just as fruitless as all the others because the new patch completely breaks the game
    free weekends will continue to happen (as long as there is no demo version) and they always result in sales.
    totally worth it.
    expect free weekends as long as the product is under development...it makes no sense for UWE not to have free weekends.

okay, now lets move on... what do you think UWE will announce on their 1 year anniversary?
  • BlueFalconBlueFalcon USA Join Date: 2013-10-07 Member: 188632Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    joohoo_n3d wrote: »
    free weekends will continue to happen (as long as there is no demo version) and they always result in sales.
    totally worth it.
    expect free weekends as long as the product is under development...it makes no sense for UWE not to have free weekends.

okay, now lets move on... what do you think UWE will announce on their 1 year anniversary?

I'm hoping for more in game content. I would love them to add a LMG for the Marines and maybe a new Alien species. Some more maps certainly won't hurt either.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    Customisable race as well as gender?
  • duvelduvel Join Date: 2004-02-09 Member: 26318Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
  • VengaboyVengaboy The Swamp Join Date: 2013-08-24 Member: 187053Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    BlueFalcon wrote: »
    I'm hoping for more in game content. I would love them to add a LMG for the Marines and maybe a new Alien species.

please... no

Wait, do you mean HMG? The current rifle is considered a LMG. But a HMG would be a "veteran pleasing" feature I suppose. I'm guessing optimized NS1 map/s though.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    edited October 2013
    Well it's nice ns2 is a year old and generally feels like it's gotten out of beta but i remember thinking back around release how great it would be in a year, sadly im not feeling it, the lack of players and kind of maps and mods i thought we'd be playing now just aren't there, even combat which was being actively developed hasn't got the build menu and extra levels i hoped.

We did get some nice maps from the community but few if any get played beyond combat ones, no doubt lack of players and stuff, it's not all bad we have had some big updates but the overall feeling is not of a awesome popular game but one thats somewhat stale and slowly dying, there was so much potential a year ago, it's kind of sad to see how things have gone. :(
  • duvelduvel Join Date: 2004-02-09 Member: 26318Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
  • hub3rtu2hub3rtu2 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165478Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Electr0 wrote: »
    the overall feeling is not of a awesome popular game but one thats somewhat stale and slowly dying, there was so much potential a year ago, it's kind of sad to see how things have gone. :(

Well, that's not how indie multiplayer games work unfortunately and I think people knew from the start how it would go, it's actually an achievement for it to go on that long. To be honest I wouldn't be disappointed one bit if it was optimized, I can understand the wibbly wobbly timey wimey balance stuff, the esports stuff (because it's jazzy now + NS1 scene). Ah, tutorials, that I won't forgive them, and gun jamming.
  • NaRcONaRcO Madrid Join Date: 2005-03-07 Member: 44219Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe Eclipse and "Sabot" ? There's no charge for dreaming :)
    Benson wrote: »
    GIMME ECLIPSE AND HERA I'VE BEEN WAITING SO LONG *head explodes*
    fukin A man
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    sglee241 wrote: »

They need to stop doing these until they fix the game. So many wasted opportunities already, the well might already be dry.

We did just release a patch yesterday, y'know. It was nearly all bug fixes.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    People tend to create a forum account to let off steam rather than saying a word of "Thanks". (Im the same I must admit) Especially as it looks like UWE are frequenting here sometimes. Don't. It might be against their motto but they should take a piece of ValvE.
    And don't look up the Steamforums. Ugh.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    edited October 2013
    hub3rtu2 wrote: »
    Electr0 wrote: »
    the overall feeling is not of a awesome popular game but one thats somewhat stale and slowly dying, there was so much potential a year ago, it's kind of sad to see how things have gone. :(
    Well, that's not how indie multiplayer games work unfortunately and I think people knew from the start how it would go, it's actually an achievement for it to go on that long.
    One shouldn't consider NS2 an "indie multiplayer game" like those 15$ downloadable console titles (thinking of games like Section 8: Prejudice) where the community is dead after a few months. Yes, technically NS2 is an indie multiplayer game, but not really:

NS2 has amazing production values - graphics, textures, models, maps, ...
    The gameplay is quite refined. You can see the game went through basically 10 years of iteration after iteration (starting with NS1).
    Controls are technically excellent (leaving out balance stuff like Marine jumping, I'm just talking about the objective quality).
    There is a full fledged map editor and modability.
    It has it's own state of the art engine built to support the specific gameplay.
    Despite some complaints about the netcode, it's actually quite good (have you played other games?).
    In short: compare NS2 to the quality of other games that have been made by much more people.

People rightly see NS2 for what it is - not an "indie multiplayer game", but a full-fledged contender to classic quality games like UT, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, ETQW, all the popular HL1 MP mods (including it's predecessor), and so on. You can't blame people for not wanting to give up on NS2, given all that.

The fact that NS2 actually is an "indie multiplayer game" (~10 devs continuously worked on it) is what causes the problems. Balance problems, technical problems (server performance argh!!!), missing features, everything takes longer than people expect from a quality game as this, lack of patch quality control. Too much to do for too little people with too little time.

The only things that are not totally due to this (but certainly influenced by it) are the communication policy which could be better, and the focusing on the "wrong" issues (and sudden balance changes like Marine jumping which nobody ever asked for).

TLDR: please don't call NS2 an "indie multiplayer game", it's better than that and people know it.