How to fix the false advertising!

Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
How about this, instead of sending a few of the top teams to compete which everyone has seen before, we send a random selection of players who donate to this tournament?

Why should only the best few get to play yet again, why should we all donate when we don't actually really gain anything from it? At least this way you're offering real players in the community a chance at joining in the fun, i think this is the only way those running it can make up for their over hyped claims about affecting everyone and it being a big deal.

Comments

• Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    Why not? Games will be played, one team will win, mixed experience, this will be something different, fun and interesting to watch plus the community actually gains something from it, random players who donate get a chance to join in for once instead of the same teams who play competitively all the time, why should they be the only ones to benefit?
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Electr0 wrote: »
    Why not? Games will be played, one team will win, mixed experience, this will be something different, fun and interesting to watch plus the community actually gains something from it, random players who donate get a chance to join in for once instead of the same teams who play competitively all the time, why should they be the only ones to benefit?

Maybe people who are actually interested in the comp scene and thus the target audience for events like these would rather watch the best 4 teams play against each other than seeing a random collection of players, with probably wildly varying skill levels and sub-par team coordination, face off against each other on a live stage.

Anyway, I can understand the disappointment with the announcement, as it was hyped up way too much, but the amount of negativity surrounding it at the moment is just beyond reason.
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The competitive players are the "only ones to benefit" because they're competitive players. And this is a competitive tournament.

And you ask, "Why not?"

Because it would be highly disorganized.
    Because there would be a disparity of skill levels: marines walking backwards in a straight line holding the trigger down. Ground skulks, cruiser lerks, and walker fades.
    Because it would be cringe-worthy gameplay by most standards.
    No one would have fun watching it.

And what if one of the 'random players' selected is from Snails or Titus? And the rest are just regular pub casuals? You'll have one guy going 50-0 and just stomp. With Twitch front page. What would people think of NS2 if they saw this? Scintillating gameplay, I'm sure.

There are a vast multitude of other reasons why "random players" would be a horrible idea. Selecting players from a random pool would just be a death sentence.
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    Oh okay, you are serious - sorry.

So what exactly is interesting in watching random people play NS2? This will be worse than having a competitive lan tournament with top teams.

For the players who attend sure it would be fun, but in the end it's a unorganised Pubfest that doesn't need donations from community, especially not players getting a free flight worth 1000$..

You could say the NS2 World Tournament COULD generate some publicity, which is the aim of this whole thing, I assume, with advertising top teams and what not, where as your suggestion would not attract players to watch this tournament.

I think your suggestion would fit better into local events maybe at LAN cafes or similar.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    WTF am I reading... u suggest randomly skilled players with maybe 0 competitive experience should fly to Germany to play against each other? In a random team? :D

thou be trollin'

But I want to fly from Frankfurt to Köln so bad...
  • frantixfrantix Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184063Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I want to bang my head against my table when I keep reading such bullsh... can we close this troll thread?
    frantix wrote: »
    I want to bang my head against my table when I keep reading such bullsh... can we close this troll thread?

How is it trolling, just because you say it is?

Im serious here, they claimed it to be something big for the community when it wasn't, it was for the them and a select few teams, they even had the cheek to ask for the community to pay for it, really?

If they want to put it right we either have to make it so it's played by a random selection of those donating or allow completely new teams (no previous top players) a chance to play who donate, it shouldn't be about the few top teams yet again, we've seen it all before.
  • frantixfrantix Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184063Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Noone but you wants to see random people playing a random game. Nobody would donate for that.
    Noone but you thinks that people donate to take part on the tournament. People donate to see the best teams playing some games on the highest possible skill level.

So, either you are trolling, or you have no clue about gaming, especially competitve gaming in general.

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    so... you basicly say 'cast pub matches'.

How is 30mins turret camping on 1 cc vs 3+ hive aliens fun to watch?
    How is it fun to see the more rare skilled player go 60-3 against a whole team?

I could go on with more reasons.. id prefer not.
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    WTF am I reading... u suggest randomly skilled players with maybe 0 competitive experience should fly to Germany to play against each other? In a random team? :D

thou be trollin'

Cool story, so you're the, what? 5 % of locals who wanna attend a tourney?
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    "false advertising" is not "fixed" it is ended and made illegal.
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow

thou be trollin'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    If you donate towards prizepoll, you to have a change to get flown there.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited October 2013

thou be trollin'

Not sure if serious. You want to bash me because I live in a certain area?

edit: Fixed typo.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    They should just close the tournament. It will never reach it's goal, especially the way they advertised it, everyone is pissed.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    casan0vax wrote: »
    And what if one of the 'random players' selected is from Snails or Titus? And the rest are just regular pub casuals? You'll have one guy going 50-0 and just stomp. With Twitch front page. What would people think of NS2 if they saw this? Scintillating gameplay, I'm sure.

At least people watching twitch would know what to expect when they go play on a pub!
    I agree it's a bad idea though.
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Seriously...

I don't know what game your playing, but you can always spectate public games if you like it so much.

And getting "random" people... that would be a 1-way stomp I feel like... like if in SC2 a bronze player was selected for a tournament. Would be f* boring to watch.

Commentator : "oh look he doing nothing for over 2 minutes now"...
    You lot are missing the point, as i said this is about letting the average player get a chance to play in one of these events, top teams have many times now already, this is giving something back to those donating, it's not about watching the most amazing game play its about us the average player having some fun, a chance to go and maybe win, this would be something different, a one off, for us the community!
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    Because there would be a disparity of skill levels: marines walking backwards in a straight line holding the trigger down. Ground skulks, cruiser lerks, and walker fades.

What would people think of NS2 if they saw this?

You just discribed every single pub game that there ever was in ns2, instead of fixing the core gameplay and optimizing for everybody they are focusing on competative gamers that is like 1% of the community.

• xBlueXFoxxxBlueXFoxx Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185497Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'd rather see it put into hiring more members of the team, and getting more focus on development. I've never cared for NS2's competitive scene. The backlash is a bit absurd however, over hyped? Slightly, I was expecting the new game mentioned to be announced or spoiled in some way, or a large NS2 feature being added, I think UWE is slightly ahead of themselves when it comes to how little actually do follow the competitive scene in comparison to how many people bought and don't play the game.
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    The competitive players are the "only ones to benefit" because they're competitive players. And this is a competitive tournament.

And you ask, "Why not?"

There are a vast multitude of other reasons why "random players" would be a horrible idea. Selecting players from a random pool would just be a death sentence.

oh the irony
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Yeah, this thread is not going anywhere. Locked.
This discussion has been closed.