Tune in For Something Big - Natural Selection 2

124»

Comments

• BellicoseBellicose Join Date: 2013-04-11 Member: 184748Members
    I think they realized the mistake of having Hugh on the show presenting their event alongside them. When people see Hugh, they see UWE - period.

He shouldn't have been there. But let's not crucify the community guys, they are trying to organize something themselves and I'm sure it's a lot of time donated by them because of their love for the game/community. It would have been received much better if Hugh didn't over-hype the crap out of it and just let the community guys do their thing. We would have seen it as donating to community leaders for a cool thing they are trying to do; not donating to UWE (as a lot of people started/still to think).
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    What will happen with the money donated if you don't reach minimum amount of money needed?
  • minomino Join Date: 2005-02-24 Member: 42334Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    GameOver wrote: »
    What will happen with the money donated if you don't reach minimum amount of money needed?

If the funding will not raise the minimum of 30.000 $ the money everyone paid will be transferred back.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    My bet is this announcement:

"In order to properly compete with more mobile marines, v239 skulk strafe jump has been reintroduced. Because what is more exciting than two buzzing flies trying to bite each other?"
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    Bellicose wrote: »
    It would have been received much better if Hugh didn't over-hype the crap out of it and just let the community guys do their thing.

I don't think most of us would even care right now if it wasn't hyped up as affecting everyone, i reckon the guys at uwe and those in and casting competitive games live in a bubble based on what i've seen, it's great for those that get to fly around and have fun at these events but don't hype this rubbish up and make out it affects the rest of us who either don't know or care about this stuff, you'd think they would of learned by now, pathetic.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Again my question: Will be able to attend if we happen to live in that area?
  • RoboTronRoboTron Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43905Members
    tournaments is needed for competative scene, competative scene is needed for a healthy community, a healthy community is needed for continued game developement. this is good news!
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited October 2013
    RoboTron wrote: »
    tournaments is needed for competative scene, competative scene is needed for a healthy community, a healthy community is needed for continued game developement. this is good news!

Hate to be super negative.. but majority of natural selections competitive playerbase stopped playing this game the first week it came out, what you have now is the remains and some new players in the comp scene; this wouldn't bring those players back and to be fair this games public scene (majority) don't care/know the competitive players/teams, compare to when you pub in counter-strike most people can name tons of players per team, but in public games like this you could be playing with a top player and not even know it because majority of the people just playing casually don't know or follow the teams
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Kalabalana wrote: »
    Why was a community event presented as big news from UWE?

It wasn't.

Sure you're not disagreeing for the sake of disagreement?

The "Big" news was announced as the top news item on unknownworlds.com. Presented by Hugh, a UWE developer. I think now, you realize the original sentiment of my statement, and my interpretation of your response. Lets not read posts and respond biased please...
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I agree. I'd still play this game without the competitive scene but the competitive side would soon die off without a stream of new talent joining.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Problems with this:
    * Overhyped.
    * Many will think uwe is asking and not the community itself. Therein lies a big difference.
    * To close to reinforced in time. Many may already have used up there 'spare money' for a bit.
    * Folk who missed the event have heared nothing from uwe or the community members in charge of this. No easily linked video of the entire stream in the main post. Nothing. If you have to read a topic and 3 pages in you have 1 post of wasabi explaining whats going on, then the entire advertising part failed.
    * If its truly community driven id expect community to get more info then 'normally' from a uwe event.

I respect and gratz you all for putting so much time in this. Many community members put loads of time in stuff like casts and tournaments. But I wonder how many like me are annoyed with all of the above.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Why was a community event presented as big news from UWE?

It wasn't.

Sure you're not disagreeing for the sake of disagreement?

The "Big" news was announced as the top news item on unknownworlds.com. Presented by Hugh, a UWE developer. I think now, you realize the original sentiment of my statement, and my interpretation of your response. Lets not read posts and respond biased please...

Hmmm, maybe from your perspective. However if you see through UWE helping out this community event by hosting the web side of things as well as helping out with certain aspects of the costs towards the event, you might realise that there were multiple times in the text and on the stream where it was stressed that this was a community driven event.

I am not defending the way it was done, and while I do think its fair that people found this a disappointment, I am also baffled at some of the negativity as it isn't constructive at all. People are hating on UWE purely for the sake of hopping on the bandwagon, and I think there is more to it than that.

• DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited October 2013
    I didn't even watch the event because i knew it would be disappointing (and i wasn't wrong), lol
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    edited October 2013
    driest wrote: »
    Seriously, that was the big announcement? Horrible advertising, and blabbering bullshit for 16 minutes at the beginning of the show and not telling people about it didn't help either. I ended up just skipping through the recording to find out what the fuzz was about because I couldn't take all that nonsense anymore.

Anyways, another tournament (yes, remember there already was the European Open similar to your idea) would be cool, but raising 30000 USD? Thats a lot of money that you are asking people for. For the European Open the community contributed about then 1600 USD (remember, UWE matched every contribution so it wasn't even the 3200 USD that were in the pool at the end). You are now asking people to pay 15 times as much for an event three times the size, seriously? At the moment you have raised an average of 50 USD from 44 people. so if the average donation doesn't go down (which it probably will because most of the really generous people have already donated) you need more than 12 times the amount of people funding this. The last event had 42 supporters, so it's not as if there are a lot of possible donors hiding anywhere.

Face paint and a makeup artist to draw onos face on hugh ain't cheap my friend.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    They should stop jerking around with nonsense and fix the game basics, because they are all F up. At first i was delighted by the game, but now after playing it for several hours daily for like 2 months, the rot has started to come out. And like someone above said, fights are not really fights, it's one crazy jumping nonsense that turns potentially awesome battle into a bunch of flies on crack trying to bite eachother. It's ridiculous to play. For example, if anyone ever played good old pumped up arena games like Q3A and UT99, you know that combat can be insanely fast, yet it still fells refined. That's what Q3A and UT99 were. NS2 on the other hand is fast, twitching shooter where luck and exploitation of the game means more than anything else. It' so silly.

How hard is it to follow the rule of keeping aliens agile and powerful at sneak attacks and marines fragile at close combat but deadly from the far? They say it is like this but even if it is, it just doesn't feel like it. At all.

So stop wasting time with some crazy cryptic news about some awesome stuff when the basic thing, THE GAME is so badly broken on so many levels.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    Not sure why everyone's so upset with Hugh. The announcment was everything he said it would be. It was meant to be big, it was supposed to make an impact on the whole community and everyone would be able to participate.
    There we have it:
    A big disappointment that upset the community with everyone venting their griefs on the forums. Signed sealed and delivered folks so give the man a break.

In truth, not the greatest way to handle things. I can see there was good intent here but the way it was handled ended up hurting this initiative with a massive community backlash. I'm very curious how much is raised in the end.