Tune in For Something Big - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Will we be able to participate if we happen to live in the area?
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • Jason_Jason_ Join Date: 2013-10-11 Member: 188657Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Why are you always playing with my heart, UWE?
  • simple_simple_ Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188102Members
    Will we be able to participate if we happen to live in the area?
    That what I like to know too :)
  • Ball654Ball654 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172265Members
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    edited October 2013
    Come on they are just trying to sell some more copies of NS2 - they said the first event generated quite some sales.
    And surely it will be nice to watch (if it happens).

Though I have to admit I'd rather have seen some improvements to the game itself. Maybe that's something for the first anniversary? :p

If NS2 gets some improvements before the tournament (in 2014), maybe more of the new players will stay with the game.
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    theyre offering posters and tshirts for us paying for this event when they still haven't delivered on the promise of posters and tshirts from the reinforced program
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    well this is a good thing if the community can pull this off

fully sponsored by intel or something down the road would be better though

that would be where id like to see ns2 get to, with changes and time - for now being community funded would be a great show of the passion of the community but it won't sustain this game or its competitive scene imo
    edited October 2013
    hozz wrote: »
    Come on they are just trying to sell some more copies of NS2 - they said the first event generated quite some sales.

nothing wrong with that!

what they did wrong was led us to think it had something to do with how we play the game but it had nothing to do with that!
    ...then they tell us they expect us to pay for it.

insult & injury.
  • Ugly_JimUgly_Jim Join Date: 2002-11-29 Member: 10235Members
    Any lawyers know if this violates any gambling laws? WRT the lottery. Seems pretty cool regardless. A good incentive is what the competitive scene needs.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    I don't get why people are so negative! This is fantastic. People upset about the amount of hype were just reading into the wording too much, fabricating things relating to the game itself.

Remember that this isn't related to development. It is taking place in March 2014. Therefore: It doesn't mean we still won't get those game developments.

You guys, you don't have to pay for it either. Obviously, the support would be fantastic. But if you don't want to cough up the money for it, you don't have to. You don't even have to watch it.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    Yet again UWE thinks they have found the heart of the community and finds out it was the colon instead.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited October 2013
    I mean, I love competitive NS2, I've done my fair share of shoutcasting competitive NS2, I love the tournaments, and so on, but honestly asking the fans for $30,000 to run a tournament instead of $30,000 to hire some freelancer to make the game better seems like sort of a waste, especially with the Reinforcement program ongoing. NS2 is a tremendous game but the competitive scene needs performance increases and better balance, not a chance to fly to Germany.

@TychoCelchuuu There's a reason why you have no disagrees on your profile, listen supporting the competitive scene is great.. but lets look at why the competitive scene is small

1) performance - this goes into a lot of things like user input response/server ticrate/overall smoothness etc etc

Ok now back to my post, the money would be better off used in figuring out ways to really bump up the engine (not saying it's not being done now) but maybe hiring an extra like lua expert and seeing what he can pull out.. heck maybe get a major breakthrough in lua coding

Anyway, hopefully this gets funded and it's nice for the few competitive teams playing and surely will drop out some good matches but this was not what I was expecting to be the big announcement

But on the bright side there are more things to come in the coming months which 'hopefully' won't disappoint so no need for the super negativity.. just.. idk lol
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ezekel wrote: »
    @TychoCelchuuu There's a reason why you have no disagrees on your profile,

Fixed.

TrolllOOO LO L LO LOL
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Remember that this tournament is completely independent of UWE. The resources going in to this from UWE is just the funding if we fund the 30k. UWE is a sponsor and not the host/organiser. We will still get more improvements to NS2!
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Remember that this tournament is completely independent of UWE. The resources going in to this from UWE is just the funding if we fund the 30k. UWE is a sponsor and not the host/organiser. We will still get more improvements to NS2!

I don't think anyone is having a problem with that, the problem is that they made this as a massive announcement when in reality it only applies to the few top teams playing
  • uCantBeSeriousuCantBeSerious Cave Join Date: 2013-10-12 Member: 188678Members
    Fix the game before begging for more money please
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Res wrote: »
    LOLZZZZ DID I CALL IT OR WHAT?

You seem to have a knack for calling things :p

• ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    So how does this affect someone like me that doesn't follow or participate in the competitive scene?
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    So how does this affect someone like me that doesn't follow or participate in the competitive scene?
    You get to read a lot of posts from angry people who think it will kill NS2, meanwhile you get to keep playing NS2.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I thought it appropriate to chime in here just to make some things clear. First off thank you to everyone for the kind words towards myself and the other community members involved in this effort. Please realize this is NOT UWE asking for money, this is ME saying I would like to see a specific type of event that could really be enjoyable and something new for our community. However, I knew there was no way I could find enough sponsors and backers to go it alone. UWE was very generous in agreeing to cover the studio expenses should we reach our goal. You are not donating more money to UWE or changing any focus on its development. Through your support we can make this event happen and rest assured there is still great things on the horizon from the DEVs with regard to NS2 updates. If this isn't your idea of a good investment I appreciate your feelings, but please don't blame UWE or throw mud at them for it. This is and will continue to be a Community Organized Event. Thanks -WasabiOne

gofundme.com/ns2worldchampionship
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Why was a community event presented as big news from UWE?
    Kalabalana wrote: »

It wasn't.
  • CD121CD121 Join Date: 2013-04-04 Member: 184635Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Kalabalana wrote: »

It wasn't.

Wait, what?