[Linux] Crashes got worse in B257

2»

Comments

• FactoidFactoid Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188069Members
    Got core dumps working, captured two crashes this way. Anyone from the dev team able to make use of this? Let me know if I should keep logging them this way.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10117099/ns2_crash/ns2_crash_2013_10_03.11235.tar.gz
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10117099/ns2_crash/ns2_crash_2013_10_04.28343.tar.gz

Also, for those if you who would like a semi-automated script for this. Here's the one I cobbled together. I just have to launch steam first and then run this from the command line.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10117099/ns2_crash/run_ns2

The script will need some adjustments for your needs. I'm playing the game on an optimus laptop, so I have to use primusrun to get it onto the nVidia GPU.
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    Played as alien, crashed on opening the evolve menu. http://pastebin.com/3TPRghdr

I've updated the NVIDIA proprietary driver to 319.60 since they have this in their changelog: "Fixed a bug that could cause OpenGL applications to crash during the initialization of new threads."

Isn't related maybe. After that the main menu was completely black I mean the only thing I saw was the cursor. I read here that it's because shaders becoming incompatible with the driver so I've deleted ~/.config/Natural Selection 2/cache and it became ok. Crashed in less than 5 minutes though.

Another crash out of nowhere, I died and after a couple of seconds spectating it has crashed. http://pastebin.com/pYsiVShZ
    log.txt: http://pastebin.com/WXRwpt1d

Very, very sad. Sometimes I can play a round or two and sometimes it crashes every 2-3 minutes. I've bought the game exactly because it was released for Linux and watching its poor state is painful. It was more than month after the release and it still crashes A LOT. On the other hand, out of memory bug is "fixed" for me — the game crashes long before it runs out of address space. Sad joke, yep.
    log.txt 27.3K
  • spongeboburuspongeboburu Join Date: 2013-09-30 Member: 188540Members
    I can confirm these crashes on an nvidia GTX675M (optimus), nvidia driver 325.15-7, so it's absolutely not an ATI specific problem.

The Fade blink still renders black screen randomly, some mods dont download properly (thusly making half the servers unusable) and crashes are VERY FREQUENT, in particular when using Gorge tunnels.

As much as I love devs porting to Linux, if it isn't ready it just isn't ready and this clearly isn't ready. At this level of stability I would maybe call it a late beta at best.
  • SkvateSkvate Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9892Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Finally someone else that has the fade-blink-bug. I often get distorted view when blinking, or random black screens.

The crashes are too frequent to make me play the game very often. If the game had some auto-reconnect feature, it would help. It could store the last connected server in a "lock-file" that would have been deleted if the game exited normally, and then connect automatically at next run(or ask ofc). Make serverside adjustment to accept connection from identical steamid, even if server is full....or something similar. Preferably saving stats, res and team.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    You can rejoin the last server you were on by typing retry in console. The server should still be tracking all the things you mention excepting team and joining a full server provided it is the same round.
  • SkvateSkvate Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9892Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Well, that's a 1999 solution. Time to get with the times, and make a proper reconnect feature instead.

I usually remember the server i was connected to, so i immediately queue up. Sometimes when i reconnect, i get some error, or other times, someone else gets my place. Its annoying, and most likely it chases away players. When a game is this unstable for many players, a reconnect feature would help them a lot.

Since UWE is working on this built-in matchmaking feature(or gather feature), maybe they also should consider making a more streamlined reconnect feature that people are used to from other games such as LoL, HoN, DotA2 etc.

• rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    For the record, I also have the Fade screen corruption but I played as Fade quite a few times and often got killed before doing many blinks. The problem is definitely OpenGL renderer which is quite new compared to the D3D one and it's the main culprit of crashes and graphic corruption. Looking at backtraces I can tell that the latest game function called is related to OGL, it's either context activating or drawing primitives. As I said before, the crash itself happens inside the NVIDIA driver but that's likely because of incorrect parameters supplied like null or invalid pointers. I remember that game segfaulted before B256 but it was less often, I rather had OOM crash. I hope this gets priority close to OOM issue, it's a complete show-stopper after all.
    http://pastebin.com/zYUENLRR crash on entering the gorge tunnel. Pretty similar to what @OscarMayer posted at September 27. Should I proceed collecting the backtraces or is it already being worked on?
  • FactoidFactoid Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188069Members
    +1 on the Gorge crash, in fact it accounts for about 80% of the crashes I encounter.
    edited October 2013
    Still get crashes in 258.
    [ 4546.006788] ns2_linux32[4304]: segfault at 0 ip 00000000f17dc1a6 sp 00000000ffdfb310 error 4 in libnvidia-glcore.so.319.49[f02e0000+1f5b000]

This was on mineshaft after 30 mins or so. Played as gorge, but was not in a gorge tunnel or anything like it.

Edit: I was thinking, is it possible to make a reconnect feature in lua? Like a server mod?
    It could work much like a reserved slots mod, in the way that it keeps a list of players that the server has detected are likely to have crashed(timing out), and will reserve the slots for them for up to x minutes?
    Nice idea and also would be great if you post the backtrace of your crash. So we can see if it's the same issue or something else.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    It seems to crash in the nvidia driver, so thats bad news in general.. but yes, any way to get a complete backtrace?
    what process should i attach to? I have tried to attach to the spark engine one, but it didnt give much. Maybe im doing it wrong.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    edited October 2013
    Once you have ns2 running
    $ps -e |grep ns2
    $gdb 
    >attach 12345
    >cont

if I remember that is.

It should generate a backtrace when/if you crash and break at that point as well.

Edit: I forgot the first sentence
    yeah, i do something like that, exfept i use pgrep ns2 instead to get the processes.
    I played for 2 hours now without crash, with the debug running. I'll start doing it every time i play.
    The backtrace won't show itself, you should command "bt" on the game crash (it will look like a freeze because the process won't exit).