"COATS" - A game of desperate research is now on BETA!

MewSkittyMewSkitty Join Date: 2012-12-01 Member: 173805Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
edited September 2013 in Off-Topic
Hey guys!!

My friend and I were making this game COATS and we are now proudly to present this game in beta stage! :DD

RPG Forums Link: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/8972-coats-a-game-of-desperate-research-demo/
Dropbox link: http://goo.gl/wsUWPW
COATS facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/coatsrpg
COATS cheesy youtube video:
COATS gameplay youtube video:
COATS steam forum link: http://steamcommunity.com/app/220700/discussions/0/864980277682139744/

please give us fedback after you have played this game!!
xxx

Comments

• GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    You should try and get it out to youtubers and streamers.
    A good place to start is the LAMG group or lethal frag on steam. (you may drop my name if you like :D)
  • MewSkittyMewSkitty Join Date: 2012-12-01 Member: 173805Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    GISP wrote: »
    You should try and get it out to youtubers and streamers.
    A good place to start is the LAMG group or lethal frag on steam. (you may drop my name if you like :D)

Well sure if you're interested! :D
    heres the latest version https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zveq46pm43gbxt/Coats - BETA.exe
    hit me up so my friend and i can do the fun stuff

xxx

• ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    When I read "desperate research" I immediately thought of that old HL mod Science and Industry. Good times.

--Scythe--
  • MewSkittyMewSkitty Join Date: 2012-12-01 Member: 173805Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Scythe wrote: »
    When I read "desperate research" I immediately thought of that old HL mod Science and Industry. Good times.

--Scythe--

Its a rpg games like final fantasy - i would love to let you all play this game and give us feedbacks :)

xxx
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Scythe wrote: »

--Scythe--

That's what I started thinking. One hell of a mod that was.
    Updated the Beta today!

- Small hints and tips at the beginning of the game to make the start-up easier.
    - Rebalance for the third phase of the game
    - Replaced the Autopsy placeholder with an illustration from our very talented illustrator (link)
    - Various bugfixes
    - Fixed som spelling errors

yFZIKkb.png

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/8972-coats-a-game-of-desperate-research-demo/page-8
  • DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
    edited October 2013
    Hello!

I'm playing through the game right now, and I'll mention anything that I notice here as it comes up.

First order of business: the word "alright" is misspelled frequently as "allright". Your writing style is very good, though!

EDIT: Miguel: I'm kind of scared off your lab.

EDIT: Panther: I sold my souland went to battle!

EDIT: Arghh, got to 89% psy and 94% bio before failing at the photo game. Saving didn't work. 6 hours in! :D

So, overall the game is A+, especially early on. The casual talk with all the NPC characters is very well written and maintained my interest right through. The later portion of the game becomes considerably... lonelier, I guess? My recommendation would be to cut down the amount of research you have to do in order to advance the game a bit quicker. Particularly, I already felt very bored of the photography game before I died and the research part of the game could have been over around day 30-ish, even with some videos unwatched, etc.

Game ran too long:
    I strongly feel that if you compress this phase of the game so that you only have to play for about as long as it currently takes to get to 75%-ish research, players won't get bored, and they'll feel as though there are a ton of options available to them. This would also add replay value as players could play through again, trying out different tactics to get to their goal.

Killing rats in the store room loses it's appeal:
    In the first 10-15 minutes of play, I worried that the rats were going to get tedious. After about 15 minutes of playing, I learned how the numbers worked and felt good about killing the rats for the food bonus that they gave. This mechanic only lasted me about 2 hours, and by the time I was shooting zombies in the autopsy phase, I was expecting there to be some little side-quest I could follow to end the rats once and for all. The rats added to the game for me early on, but took from it for most of the latter half of my play.

Food/ammo felt too forgiving:
    For almost the entire game, security, food and ammo were balanced at around 120%. Food was the hardest to keep up (dropping occasionally to around 80-100%), but mind you this was with rich rations except for some number of days that I could count off one hand. Early on, I tried to do everything while eating like a king, and I quickly found out that it wasn't all that hard to keep it steady that way. It was fun before I learned how to balance the system, but then I felt as though I wasn't challenged enough later. Also, trading ammo for food made the game way, way too easy (it's a good mechanic, but tax rate should be around 30%... 20% feels pretty much free).

Maya should definitely appear earlier:
    She appeared for me on day 40 and prior to this, I felt like the game had become stagnant. Also, the "come talk to me to get free research" mechanic felt like it could have kicked in earlier, too. All in all, it felt like there was too long a wait between when I got the physician and when I got her.

Observing the specimen:
    Observing the specimen could afford to be made more interesting. After the Nth time doing it, it starts to feel one-dimensional enough that I played with the idea of skipping it each day to end the phase sooner. Once I was watching the 10 videos, the fact that I couldn't watch a video and the specimen on the same day felt like a nice change. Once the videos were done, I started to feel like observing the specimen didn't yield enough benefit to be worth my time doing it - rather I wanted to sleep more often so that I could do other research. I like the idea of keeping this option available all phase long outside of the other research options, but it needs some kind of progression dynamic in and of itself. For example, maybe you could have dialog options to start, continue or switch research programs? Each program could take X days to complete and yield Y% research upon completion. Or, perhaps the specimen's health could start to rapidly decline at some point so that you have a real reason to go capture a second one? Right now, it feels like once you have one captured, you need only run to the lab each day to perform the obvious action of the day, watch a short cinematic and maybe win something for your time. On that note, having specimens die outside of your control would stress your security crew a bit, affecting balance in the security/ammo/food dynamic (it needs to be a bit harder).
  • Maye546123Maye546123 pAKISTAN Join Date: 2013-11-02 Member: 188943Members
    edited March 2014