Replace strafe-jump: Mechanized Joints

das0308das0308 Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166824Members, Reinforced - Supporter
edited September 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
First off, I'm biased. I hate the strafe-jump (SJ) in the current build. That said, I don't think UW will remove it, and I don't want to rage-quit the game. Therefore I'd like to see SJ remain in spirit but be moved into part of an upgrade package, tentatively titled: Mechanized Joints.

In the following if a word or phrase is surrounded by "(?)" then it indicates hesitance about the statement (i.e. open to being changed or removed). A triple question mark, ???, indicates the subject is undetermined.

Upgrade Name: Mechanized Joints
Available from: (?) Robotics Facility (?)
Cost: ???
Research time: ???
Prerequisites: ???
Function(s):
1. Increase marine jump acceleration by X% ((?) requires holding shift while jumping, cool-down (?)).
2. (?) Increase melee damage by Y% (Axe, rifle-bash attack, (?) Exosuit claw (?)). (?)
3. (?) Increase marine movement speed by Z%. (?)

One of the key things to note here is that the only function mandatory to the upgrade is an increase in marine jump acceleration, in any direction. Which if it does not require shift being held does not change the normal height of the typical marine jump.

I have a particular purpose in mind for the second function but I don't want to diffuse the focus of this topic too much so if you're interested please ask independently.

I agree. Third function is unnecessary and would make it a boring copy of celerity.

If a visual reflection of the upgrade is desired I believe a simple small change to the marine models textures around the elbows/wrists/knees/ankles, would suffice.

Thoughts? Derivative ideas?

Comments

• BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    But I want to be able to jump over your excellent ambush before killing you as you wallow in limbo as a 90 tonne skulk:(
  • driestdriest Germany Join Date: 2013-02-21 Member: 183251Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    This is an excellent Idea, as it will even the odds in early game where strafe jumping is most annoying because aliens don't have celerity. I think it should be relatively cheap though, so marines could have it as soon as aliens have celerity. Also don't think it should cost pres, but be an arms lab upgrade and work like the armor/weapon upgrades. At the moment Aliens have 3 upgrade paths for personal abilities, marines only have 2 (weapons, armor). So introducing a 3rd (movement) would be a great idea.

It should not be the same thing as celerity, as this would contradict the fundamental idea of asymmetrical factions in ns2. Thus I don't think it should increase movement speed, but only jump acceleration and height/distance. It should be relatively cheap though, as it does not offer an advantage as big as weapons 3 or armor 3. So perhaps make the cost 20 per level and let it have 2 levels. Researching it early would thus delay weapons 1 and armor 1, so while being able to dodge better early game the marines would have less armor and do less damage and even out it's effect a bit.
  • das0308das0308 Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166824Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    I agree. Third function is unnecessary and would make it a boring copy of celerity.

I'm a little bit more stubborn about the second function.

In response to driest, do you think the first function would be better as something which is completely passive, or as something that requires the player to be holding shift (i.e. a running jump or a quick side jump/dodgey thingy)? I would lean towards it being passive and not lowering jump height as I prefer simplicity.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    How about a bot tutorial that strafe jumps so you can practice your biting and ambushing?
  • driestdriest Germany Join Date: 2013-02-21 Member: 183251Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @das0308: I would also prefer it to be passive. Making it a special button does not add anything to the game, but make the controls even worse than they already are ;)
  • inveigleinveigle Join Date: 2004-01-07 Member: 25117Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    SJ is just ridiculous and must be purged altogether. As it is, a lone marine can take on 3 skulks and win because of SJ. Add in medpack spam, nano shield, no recoil, and perfect aim while jumping, it becomes a nightmare. Marines should fear the alien and as a result work in teams. As it stands, marines lone wolf it for most the game and only besiege en masse when taking a tech point or hive.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    inveigle wrote: »
    Marines should fear the alien and as a result work in teams.

Yes, and back to 30:70 in pubs - which is really the reason why this was implemented to begin with. Time for a pro mod yet?