Possible LAN party in Vancouver BC Canada.

0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
edited October 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
EDIT: It looks like, between all the communities I'm part of and people I know online there's enough interest that it might be more cost effective to have the venue moved to Vancouver and to focus more on several teamwork based indie games instead of just NS2. So if anyone knows of any more games that fit into this category nicely it'd be great if you point them out.

I have at my disposal a beach house that is totally empty in Roberts Creek on the sunshine coast. It's about a 2 hour trip out of Vancouver. It's got three bedrooms 2 bathrooms and a fairly big livingroom. We were thinking of doing some LAN parties there before the house sells but it would require the hooking up of internet and the collecting of many desks and chairs etc. which can be a lot of effort. Most importantly however it would require a server, which I do not have.

I'm just curious to see how many folk would be interested to come if we could acquire a server. It's right on the beach and beach fires ARE allowed.

Maybe we could even do a little tourny? I dunno, pretty open to ideas. Mostly I just thought "hey I got this big empty house on the beach and house viewing season is pretty much over" so it seemed like a cool idea.

Thoughts and/or ideas?

You can contact me on Steam or at the National Gaming forums in addition to this thread.

Comments

• 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    Wow, no one wants to do some ns2 at a lan?

I'm doing one at my own house this weekend. We were going to play some ns2, guns of icarus and maybe something else. Got one guy from vancouver who will come if there's some folk to carpool with.
  • RøvSparkerRøvSparker Binghamton, NY Join Date: 2012-11-27 Member: 173442Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    damn....-from Bingham, NY
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Close, but I'm just a tiny bit too far away :(
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    My friends and I do a monthly LAN all winter long. We rotate between houses. It's a lot of fun and the comradely is excellent. We usually go for an entire day with a nice movie break in between, beer, soda, candy and take out the entire time. Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Hope you get some peeps going that are close by. I'm in Massachusetts USA so its a bit far for me.

HAVE FUN!
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    New Zealand. I live in New Zealand.
  • darkhunt333darkhunt333 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Same country. Wrong side.
    SeeVee wrote: »
    My friends and I do a monthly LAN all winter long. We rotate between houses. It's a lot of fun and the comradely is excellent. We usually go for an entire day with a nice movie break in between, beer, soda, candy and take out the entire time. Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Hope you get some peeps going that are close by. I'm in Massachusetts USA so its a bit far for me.

HAVE FUN!
    Yeah we do one almost every week, it's pretty awesome. So far we only got 6 regulars though and two irregulars. Haven't got a full eight yet, hoping to be able to get enough regulars by next summer for some full on 16 player games. We already got two projectors for the coms. Small town though, hard to find folks our age who still live in a small town this close to a big city.
    Same country. Wrong side.
    Hey man, the wrong side of this country is in the middle, the coasters are all awesome. 8)

For any Vancouverites who are on the fence. Just know it's about a 2-3 hour trip out of Van at worst. If you time it right and the lions gate isn't a clusterfuck then it can be under an hour and a half.

If you don't come, you won't get any cake.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    edited October 2013
    We have 8 of us that play in house. The rest of the people join from the intarweebs. Lots of fun and makes for a great day. We are a bunch of old bastards ages 33-40 so we are quite pooped the next day (yes everyone it will happen to you too. It's call aging... MUHAHAHAHAHA!)

BTW, I just noticed in my previous post spell check put "comradely" instead or comradery... how embarrassing :)
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Come to Toronto, I'll play with ya!
  • darkhunt333darkhunt333 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    0ni wrote: »

Naw, I'm kinda an awkward loser in real life. The last thing I need is to hurt my internet rep making real friends.
    Plus I only do McDonalds playroom parties only if it has a ball pit.

Also the first op link goes to a private steam account, the second goes to a members only forum section. Unless this is the intended result?
  • CLARK_KENTCLARK_KENT Vancouver, Canada Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9508Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Hey, it sounds cool, since I'm from Vancouver...just that time is hard to come by these days. I am also a coach of a youth sport team, which takes up even more time.

In any case, if I can't make it on-site ever, maybe I can connect and play with you guys over the net some time when you guys gather. :)
    SeeVee wrote: »
    We have 8 of us that play in house. The rest of the people join from the intarweebs. Lots of fun and makes for a great day. We are a bunch of old bastards ages 33-40 so we are quite pooped the next day (yes everyone it will happen to you too. It's call aging... MUHAHAHAHAHA!)

BTW, I just noticed in my previous post spell check put "comradely" instead or comradery... how embarrassing :)
    40 is hardly old. Old happens when you go to bed at 8pm on a friday night because your kid woke you up at 4 am with a shitty diaper. I know 60 year olds who are still 20.
    Come to Toronto, I'll play with ya!
    Eeeewwww toronto, way to close to the french people. I'm going to stay right here with the Germans and Japanese.
    0ni wrote: »

Naw, I'm kinda an awkward loser in real life. The last thing I need is to hurt my internet rep making real friends.
    Plus I only do McDonalds playroom parties only if it has a ball pit.

Also the first op link goes to a private steam account, the second goes to a members only forum section. Unless this is the intended result?

Opened up my steam profile for steam users, thanks for letting me know. It always shows up proper when I click on it. :p
    CLARK_KENT wrote: »
    Hey, it sounds cool, since I'm from Vancouver...just that time is hard to come by these days. I am also a coach of a youth sport team, which takes up even more time.

In any case, if I can't make it on-site ever, maybe I can connect and play with you guys over the net some time when you guys gather. :)
    Everyone is welcome to play, feel free to add me on steam and I'll invite you.
    That said, don't be a bitch! Man up and get in the car, time for some fucking adventure!
    Unless the sport your coaching is paintball it's not important anyway.

Anyway, this will hardly be the last of our lan parties, so I'll continue to update this thread anyway as I remember to.

Next summer we're doing some outdoor lans here in event tents and whatnot. We also have an outdoor pool table near the outdoor bar... so there's some pretty sweet potential there.
    @Oni

Still Private. No one will be able to send you friends invites.
    It should be viewable by anyone logged into steam. Maybe you aren't logged in on your browser?

Gah I'll just make it totally public. I just don't trust the internet very much. :p
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Want me to tweet this, 0ni?
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ahh the French, Ho ho ho!
    Hugh wrote: »
    Do you want twits in your home, Oni?
    Well, it's awfully short notice for a lot of people now and that'd be hard to organize, but I will be doing more of these. So maybe you can post that there will be semi regular meets? Or perhaps my people will call your people and we'll arrange something for next time.

Yeah, next time. Rushing things always causes mistakes.
    Okay, so I've had some interest in other communities I'm in. Enough even to possible justify renting a small venue in Vancouver instead of the Sunshine Coast. Given that the ferry is $50+ per car and $14 per person the costs add up quick enough that a free venue doesn't justify it even if the venue is totally awesome. So would anyone be interested in the idea of coming to a paid event instead and what would be a reasonable cost? Doing it on the Sunshine coast would be approximately a $25 travelling cost per person and delivery food here is a little bit more expensive. I think for many the transportation woes alone is a prohibitive factor so we're more likely to see a higher turn out and $25 would be an upper limit.

Opinions?

I'm going to PM @hugh and see if there's anything UWE would like to do to help. It'd be cool if we could arrange some prizes for people new to the game like some skins or something for most valuable new player. It'd be nice if we could bring more teamwork oriented players into the community. I'm also going to PM Muse games and see if they'd also like to help cross promote in some way.