Trouble connecting to my dedicated server

Ninja_IguanaNinja_Iguana Join Date: 2013-06-30 Member: 185814Members
So recently I followed the NS2 wiki and several guides on setting up a basic NS2 server on an older AMD Athlon II x4 640 with 3GB of DDR2 ram. I'm running this on Windows Server 2012 and my home network is recognized as a private network (default is public). When I launch the server it seems to work however I cannot query the server or find it online. It's very strange as if either the Windows firewall or my router is blocking it even though I made exceptions for all the ports they could use (TCP and UDP). I also configured UGCC to work with it and it says that the server runs, however it does not respond to query requests or status updates.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Still sounds like a blocked port. Try this site to see if its open: http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

If not, you'll need to track down what's blocking. Potential sources are:
    - Router
    - Modem
    - ISP
  • Ninja_IguanaNinja_Iguana Join Date: 2013-06-30 Member: 185814Members
    In my case I can't even find the server from another computer on the same network. I haven't tried connecting from the actual server pc yet. I'm not sure if that'll be any different though.
    So I checked the website and indeed all of my ports were blocked. Here are my router's settings:

caKXt0B.png

Here are my firewall settings too:

3DCLciT.png

Really I don't see where the block is.
    I read similar problems about this and it seems to be a common issue with my router. I may as well get a new one considering how old this one is.
  • unter_hosenunter_hosen Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11858Members, Constellation
    On your Server firewall, allow ICMPv4, then see if you can ping your server locally from another machine, however I just noticed two rules in your firewall which will allow anything and everything. The ones you have named Natural Selection at the top of the list, so in theory it should work, however try and ping the server first, then move on from there
  • unter_hosenunter_hosen Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11858Members, Constellation
    edited July 2013
    Hold up, you have it in outbound rules, you need these in inbound rules, thats why its not working
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The DIR-655 is notoriously bad with port forwarding. Besides getting another router your only option is to put your server in the DIR-655's DMZ (not particularly safe, but probably the only way to make it work).
    hes got his server firewall arse over tit, thats the problem :)
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    The DIR-655 is notoriously bad with port forwarding. Besides getting another router your only option is to put your server in the DIR-655's DMZ (not particularly safe, but probably the only way to make it work).
    I created exceptions in both Inbound and Outbound. So really I'm sure it's not the server.

• ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Connect computer directly to modem and see if it works then if not then the problem is on the computer side.
  • radionautradionaut california Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181192Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Gold
    MEGABUMP

hey Ninja_Iguana, i (unfortunately) own this same router model. it would not work using port forwarding, but creating the [attached] "Vitual Server" rules seem to work.
    it's a shame that tomato or dd-wrt etc. won't even run on this device.

Dude thanks so much! I basically abandoned this after I couldn't figure it out so I'll try hosting again soon.

Too bad school is taking up most of my time now.