Sewlek's Beta Test Mod

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2013-05-09 Member: 185176
    Oh no, and that at a time where the mod was way better than the vanilla... I need my dark rooms :/
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would've taken the BT over vanilla any day of the week before it got deleted. Lots of good changes there, nothing too major either.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It sure looks dead. I'm guessing that UWE has finally decided to stop the balance overhauls and keep the game in the state it's currently in. Which is fine since this build is pretty damn good. However, I would like to see something like the Evolution Chamber make its way into the game, as this whole research on random structures system is a bit unintuitive and something of a noob trap.

Yeah I really don't like the new model of place structure > upgrade entire lifeform. I preferred having the option of upgrading specific traits at hives but the evo chamber sounds like an interesting concept. Maybe that could be a critical structure that aliens need to protect? I feel aliens lack critical structures like marines do, only trait structures seem to be viable targets inside a base besides harvesters ofc.

It made going for spores or blink (at the time) early worth it if you had a good number of lerks or focusing on early bile rather than pouring all your res into a single lifeform.

The whole model just seems odd and unintuitive.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    Benson wrote: »
    Indeed. It has been stated that there will be no more major balance overhauls, therefore, many of the radical changes tested in BT will no longer be considered for implementation, and, as Sewlek is in charge of balance, he is now working on how to tweak the game as it is to improve balance.

Well, that's a shame.

If new ideas are not being generated and tested (evolution chamber), and the game is only going to be left to minor tweaks to improve "balance" on a game that is still a ways from being completely finished (aliens upgrade system mess), then the game has officially been put on life support and it's only a matter of time before the game goes 6 feet under.

Sorry for anyone who dropped more money on the game through the reinforced system, it seems you lost out.

Can't say I'm not surprised though, saw it coming during beta.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    MisterNubs wrote: »
    Can't say I'm not surprised though, saw it coming during beta.

I bought the game almost a year ago. I've had my £19 worth of entertainment in 1400 hours; It would be sad to see ns2 go under, but definitely has not been money wasted.

• rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Sewlek wrote: »
    mod has been updated today: Steam Workshop

PLEASE test this if you have a team and the opportunity to do so! and make sure you post any feedback here.

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited October 2013
    - reduced nano shield damage absorb to 32% (down from 75%)
    - increased nano shield duration to 5 seconds (up from 3)

- reduced marine dodge jump effectiveness by 50%

- changed macs to construct at 40% compared to a marine (was 30%)
    - macs have now a useable thruster ability, increasing their movement speed for 5 seconds (20 seconds cooldown)

- grenades no longer require a research

- drifters will now slow down when shot from close distance
    - increased fade swipe damage to 81 damage (up from 75)

- new experimental code for player vs. player collision

Thank something for the fade swipe damage.. Love this change back

Curious about grenades. It'll make armory drops reasonable without phase rush.

Nice drifter change overall.

But @Kaneh my favorite change of all, this would make Cat Packs better than nano.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    These are some good changes, glad to see the mod is back up again
  • ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    So how exactly does this work? Is this like a public test server where potential changes are tested out (as in, can we expect these changes to make it into game) or is this a 'just for fun' mod?
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Zalamael wrote: »
    So how exactly does this work? Is this like a public test server where potential changes are tested out (as in, can we expect these changes to make it into game) or is this a 'just for fun' mod?

These are official balance changes being tested out by Sewlek, a UWE employee and balance designer for NS2. This BT mod will show up as "ns2bt" in the game modes section of the server browser, if you want to test them out, check for this tag.

• das0308das0308 Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166824Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    From the beta test notes, can someone clarify what "reduced marine dodge jump effectiveness by 50%" means exactly? Does this mean the speed boost has been simply dropped by 50% or something else?

If the speed the boost from strafe jump is reduced, can you restore the jump height so you still jump as high as you do forwards? This way you can use railings and other floor obstructions to help juke skulks (like back in the day), which I believe will increase the depth and fun of the skulk vs marine match-up.

In general, I'd like a more 'beefed up' version of the old marine jump back. That is, simply increase the marine jump acceleration (and perhaps distance) in all directions. Having a special jump that only works when you jump sideways and with no option to jump normally in that direction is inconsistent with naive expectations, and in my personal opinion distasteful.

Thanks for all your hard work Sewlek!
  • ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    rantology wrote: »
    These are official balance changes being tested out by Sewlek, a UWE employee and balance designer for NS2. This BT mod will show up as "ns2bt" in the game modes section of the server browser, if you want to test them out, check for this tag.

That was very concise, thank you very much :)

• SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    das0308 wrote: »
    From the beta test notes, can someone clarify what "reduced marine dodge jump effectiveness by 50%" means exactly? Does this mean the speed boost has been simply dropped by 50% or something else?

If the speed the boost from strafe jump is reduced, can you restore the jump height so you still jump as high as you do forwards? This way you can use railings and other floor obstructions to help juke skulks (like back in the day), which I believe will increase the depth and fun of the skulk vs marine match-up.

In general, I'd like a more 'beefed up' version of the old marine jump back. That is, simply increase the marine jump acceleration (and perhaps distance) in all directions. Having a special jump that only works when you jump sideways and with no option to jump normally in that direction is inconsistent with naive expectations, and in my personal opinion distasteful.

Thanks for all your hard work Sewlek!

instead of adding 1 /ms horizontal speed the jump adds now only 0.5, the jump height has been raised accordingly
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    As happy as I am to see this mod live again, I think it might be beneficial to start a new thread (Balance Test 2.0?) for neatness/relevance.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I don't think the jump height ever needed to be increased?

Even before SJ, the insane jump height caused tracking problems for aliens, with marine feet clearing the height of another marine's head. Without trying it yet, this just sounds like it missed the core reason why SJ is a problem. :-\
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    wut height raised! time to get into epic places as marine!
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    edited October 2013
    +1 for new thread this one is pretty outdated and has crapload of pages without a proper starting post...
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    IronHorse wrote: »

Even before SJ, the insane jump height caused tracking problems for aliens, with marine feet clearing the height of another marine's head. Without trying it yet, this just sounds like it missed the core reason why SJ is a problem. :-\

dodge jump has overall still a lower height than a "normal" jump. "raised" compared to what it was before (80% before, 90% now of normal jump height)
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    +1 for new thread this one is pretty outdated and has crapload of pages without a proper starting post...

Posting in this thread spams snb's notifications, I think that's reason enough to keep it around.

On topic: Glad to see this back. I will try to find a server tonight after class.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    lol... strafe jumps were lower than normal jumps... see what I mean by people not understanding how it worked, or why it is/isnt a problem?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »

dodge jump has overall still a lower height than a "normal" jump. "raised" compared to what it was before (80% before, 90% now of normal jump height)
    I see, thanks.

Oh @xdragon .. never ever missing an opportunity to tell everyone how they don't know as much as him. This is what, your 5th this week?
    You'd be a lot more pleasant and contributing, if all you did was enlighten everyone instead of choosing each occasion to boost your e-peen from condescending remarks.
    Also, please be more observant next time... I didn't state A) that SJ was ever higher or lower than a typical jump B) that i have even tried this version, let alone perused LUA files to find the exact values to compare to vanilla. It was just me interpreting what Sewlek said incorrectly.. =D>
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    The purpose is not to be arrogant, nor to be condescending or even angry... Its about making a point. Don't mistake brutal honesty for anything else than what it is - you know just as well as I do that a majority of the forum posts on balance make completely baseless or incorrect assumptions... for varying reasons... That doesn't make the posts worthless, they provide insight on what people perceive as problems... But to attempt to draw honest balance conclusions from almost any post on here is crazy, you would go in so many circles that you would end up changing nothing. Strafe 'dodge' jump is a great example. With all the posts on that subject, it would seem like - easy remove and everyone is happy. The problem is, removing it will not fix the problem, so then something else will be blamed. The marines default accel would get lowered, or skulks increased. Or air control adjustments.. or a multitude of other fixes that still ignore the core issue and would end up shifting balance way back into the hands of the aliens (who still win more then 50% in pubs). The first part of fixing a problem is accurately identifying what the problem is - and that's something I am trying to point out is not nearly as clear in a game like NS2.

A simple problem like the physical interaction between two entities when colliding can have a huge balance impact, and considering the work done to fix the results of the base physic interaction (a band aid), can be quite hard to correctly identify.

I watched these same problems occur back before 250, and have seen so many incorrect changes made which only address the side effects of problems, and not the core problems (fade damage as a perfect example).
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    I can't seem to find any BT servers running. Is this up anywhere publicly to test?
  • RamsusRamsus Join Date: 2005-01-16 Member: 35996Members, Constellation
    edited October 2013
    We installed the BT mod on our server and upon joining if you crouch as a marine in the ready room or IG you stay crouched the entire play session. The only way to fix the issue is to rejoin the server.

BT Mod and NSL Mod are the only mods on the server.

Comments?
    Ramsus wrote: »
    We installed the BT mod on our server and upon joining if you crouch as a marine in the ready room or IG you stay crouched the entire play session. The only way to fix the issue is to rejoin the server.

BT Mod and NSL Mod are the only mods on the server.

Comments?

should be fixed now
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    xDragon wrote: »
    The purpose is not to be arrogant, nor to be condescending or even angry... Its about making a point. Don't mistake brutal honesty for anything else than what it is - you know just as well as I do that a majority of the forum posts on balance make completely baseless or incorrect assumptions... for varying reasons... That doesn't make the posts worthless, they provide insight on what people perceive as problems... But to attempt to draw honest balance conclusions from almost any post on here is crazy, you would go in so many circles that you would end up changing nothing. Strafe 'dodge' jump is a great example. With all the posts on that subject, it would seem like - easy remove and everyone is happy. The problem is, removing it will not fix the problem, so then something else will be blamed. The marines default accel would get lowered, or skulks increased. Or air control adjustments.. or a multitude of other fixes that still ignore the core issue and would end up shifting balance way back into the hands of the aliens (who still win more then 50% in pubs). The first part of fixing a problem is accurately identifying what the problem is - and that's something I am trying to point out is not nearly as clear in a game like NS2.

A simple problem like the physical interaction between two entities when colliding can have a huge balance impact, and considering the work done to fix the results of the base physic interaction (a band aid), can be quite hard to correctly identify.

I watched these same problems occur back before 250, and have seen so many incorrect changes made which only address the side effects of problems, and not the core problems (fade damage as a perfect example).

Brutal honesty is just an edgy way to say you're being a jerk. What's wrong with regular honesty? When you prefix your post with "lol..." it's pretty clear you're not trying to start a civilized discussion.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    edited October 2013
    Zek wrote: »
    xDragon wrote: »

Brutal honesty is just an edgy way to say you're being a jerk. What's wrong with regular honesty? When you prefix your post with "lol..." it's pretty clear you're not trying to start a civilized discussion.

He is just being arrogant and condescending. He simply repeated what was already said by the Sewlek fellow and trying to pass it off like he knew all along. It doesn't take knowing specific numbers to know the feeling of something being off.
    edited October 2013
    Clearly I didnt have any clue that the strafe jump height was different...

Id rather this not become a discussion about me because I already know how that will go, the ns2 community has made that abundantly clear. Ill just return to living under my bridge.