Kicking for Foul Language

ZTrainZTrain Join Date: 2013-03-15 Member: 183969Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Is it me or are more and more servers kicking and BANNING people for saying "Fuck" "Shit" "Cock" "Balls". This is getting out of hand. If you don't want foul language explain it in your server messages. Don't insta-ban. Stupid ban hungry admins.

Yours truly the cussing community.

-ZTrain

Comments

• BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    Did they have a list of seven words you can't use?

• PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
  • ZTrainZTrain Join Date: 2013-03-15 Member: 183969Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Milking maggots! I'll be flubbered if this guacamole pulls through.
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    Milking maggots! I'll be flubbered if this guacamole pulls through.

Squishpoke you have been kicked for foul language.
  • CD121CD121 Join Date: 2013-04-04 Member: 184635Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Substitute every curse word for 'pingas' and then you win.
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Admins obviously need an ability to "wash your mouth out with soap"
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    I like to release the mic button when i start to swear... or if im really pissed ill turn off my mic and pretend that they can still hear me....
    don't swear?

Thanks for the heads up.
    ezekel wrote: »
    I'm surprised people still get offended by curse words in 2013, the way I've grown up to see it, a curse word is just another word expressing another word but in a more 'capital manner'

for example, "I hate you" -> " I F5$#%^#$&^$%&^#$% hate you"

Both have the same meaning, one is just a more extreme than the other.. sort of like water from solid to liquid, and then liquid to gas.. they went through the same process.. but getting to gas just requires that much more heat!

This ^
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    6 years in the us navy (I can cuss like a sailor)... Cursing may not offend me but it does show me how ignorant a person is.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Oh, its a ZTrain thread.
    Industry wrote: »
    Oh, its a ZTrain thread.

This ^
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm surprised people still get offended by curse words in 2013, the way I've grown up to see it, a curse word is just another word expressing another word but in a more 'capital manner'

Both have the same meaning, one is just a more extreme than the other.. sort of like water from solid to liquid, and then liquid to gas.. they went through the same process.. but getting to gas just requires that much more heat!
    Put a quarter in the swear jar
  • EreboZEreboZ Join Date: 2013-09-28 Member: 188503Members
    Do we want a community of cool & laid back people, or a community full of kids/upset parents, that are too spoiled or "proper", to handle some cursing?
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    As an admin I would have to ask what was this cursing aimed at? Was it in general, at a person or maybe at an admin? Now personally I don’t give a shit but if a person was to swear every other word or all the time, it’s going to get on peoples nerves.

@ZTrain This thread does show how truly pathetic you are, if you have a problem with a server then you go to that server website or server admins. You can’t even curse here so don’t come here and complain like a little BITCH!
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members

Er no. Cursing indicates vulgarity, which is why it is frowned upon in every human society. I'm not saying insta-banning is ok, I'm just letting you know that this is where society is at, and where it always will be, whether 1013 or 2013 or 3013 (if there are still humans here by then).
  • hub3rtu2hub3rtu2 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165478Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    You can kill, rip and tear, but don't you dare use a swear word while doing it, m'kay.
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    hub3rtu2 wrote: »
    You can kill, rip and tear, but don't you dare use a swear word while doing it, m'kay.

Right! We're already promoting violent behaviors because of this violent game right? At least that's what the media says. The last thing we need are our violent children learning how to cuss as well. ;)

I'm sorry but saying a cuss word is natural, otherwise you wouldn't instinctively do it when hurt. I don't see a problem with cuss words in video games as long as it's not meant to be insulting, but what it comes down to is it's their server. If they want to ban or kick for cussing then I guess that's their right.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    don't swear?

What a stupid rhetorical question. Most of us are adults and we know in what context a word is used. If you have a family friendly server, please indicate so.

In the vast majority of cases swearing is used merely to emphasise one's point - so I completely agree with you.

It's amusing that the people who complain most are generally the least intelligent people I come across. Granted that those who constantly swear tend to be less educated, but swearing in and of itself is not indicative of a "limited vocabulary" as so many banal, self-important people like to point out.
  • |DFA| Havoc|DFA| Havoc Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68375Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Language is just a medium for the expression of ideas and emotions. People who don't swear usually just replace those words with 'tame' versions (dang, crap, freaking, etc) that nevertheless convey the exact same idea or intent. As such, I don't care about swearing in the slightest.

However, use of racial / sexual slurs or other forms of bigotry are one of the only things we insta-ban for on our server, because that is an idea I have no tolerance for and will not make excuses or allowances for. I'll warn people first for using 'gay' in a negative context because it's so culturally ubiquitous that the word nearly has two separate identities, but if someone starts dropping overt racial epithets I just bring out the banhammer. No use wasting my breath on someone who thinks that's okay to do.
    edited September 2013
    ZTrain wrote: »
    don't swear?

Thanks for the heads up.

Er no. Cursing indicates vulgarity, which is why it is frowned upon in every human society. I'm not saying insta-banning is ok, I'm just letting you know that this is where society is at, and where it always will be, whether 1013 or 2013 or 3013 (if there are still humans here by then).

How does one define vulgar? Most societies consider homosexuality vulgar, unfortunately.

"You're an idiot" is rarely, if ever, considered vulgar yet there was no swear word. You say "cursing" is the problem but why is, "that is so stupid" not bannable, but "that isf-cking dumb" is?. Having sex and shouting "f-ck" might be considered vulgar. Why? Because it "lacks sophistication and good taste". Who defines good taste? Apparently most people love sex so it must be in good taste to some extent? Maybe. In addition, saying "oh gosh!" is apparently more sophisticated than, "oh my f-cking God!"?

So, so silly. So, so illogical. And so, so behind in the times.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I once got kicked from a french server because I was speaking english.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    don't swear?

What a stupid rhetorical question. Most of us are adults and we know in what context a word is used. If you have a family friendly server, please indicate so.

You speak english... you should know what words are vulgar. Don't say or type them. Catch up to the times man.
    ZTrain wrote: »
    don't swear?

Thanks for the heads up.

... In addition, saying "oh gosh!" is apparently more sophisticated than, "oh my f-cking God!"?

So, so silly. So, so illogical. And so, so behind in the times.

apparently? It is more polite to say oh gosh... duh?
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I once got kicked from a french server because I was speaking english.
    yeah, thats the french... never saw anything like that on other servers. (but of course, french people speak only french on other servers, too...)

on topic: the whole discussion is pointless. you can think of cursing like you want. It is still the admins server, he pays for it, so he can do whatever he want. If you don't like his rules you can't play on his server, easy like that. (thats why I try to avoid french servers as much as possible ;))

And no, I'm not offended by cursing people. But if you use more cursing words than non-cursing you should not be surprised if people think you are retarded.
    Know pain wrote: »
    As an admin I would have to ask what was this cursing aimed at? Was it in general, at a person or maybe at an admin? Now personally I don’t give a shit but if a person was to swear every other word or all the time, it’s going to get on peoples nerves.

@ZTrain This thread does show how truly pathetic you are, if you have a problem with a server then you go to that server website or server admins. You can’t even curse here so don’t come here and complain like a little BITCH!

@Know pain Your signature says "Hakuna ma-ta-ta".

That is all.
This discussion has been closed.