Waypoint HUD Obstruction annoying please remove

KiloKilo Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187529Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited September 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Spot the skulk?

You can't, because I have a huge blue square on the screen telling me to build some irrelevant power node I ran past 110 meters ago.

When is this going to be removed?

Commander waypoints give you arrows on the floor and a pinpoint on the map, anything that requires building has a small hammer icon on it. This huge vision obstruction is just unnecessary. At least give us an option to disable it or just make it a rookie mode feature. Admittedly when you look directly at it the blue square fades a little, but the white writing never does. I've had a few occasions where I'm trying to watch a vent and all I can see is 130 METERS CONSTRUCT!!!!

Anyone else find this really annoying?

Comments

• elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    But.. the powernode!
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I can see it just fine. It needs to be obvious. I really doubt that they will ever incorporate a way to turn this off. They have a ridiculous backlog of stuff right now.
  • VagabotVagabot Join Date: 2012-04-14 Member: 150429Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Shouldn't be too hard to make elements in HUD transparent or put entities on the foreground so that the alien is blocking the waypoint instead.
    No? Sure w/e.
  • KiloKilo Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187529Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @SamusDroid You must have better eyesight than me. Tell me, Is there a skulk in this vent?
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    I can see it just fine. It needs to be obvious. I really doubt that they will ever incorporate a way to turn this off. They have a ridiculous backlog of stuff right now.
    There's a reason why one of the most popular ns2 modifications is to change the crosshair to a simple dot, or some minimalist one of some kind.

As for backlog of stuff, i'm sure it'd only take like 30 seconds for them to add an on/off switch for the waypoint code and hook that onto the main menu. Tie it into the new player hints on/off even. One year after release and we still have crap like this sitting low priority?
    edited September 2013
    I'm pretty sure it's a quick fix. Also this is a discussion forum so I'll post any suggestion I like on here regardless of whether it will be fixed or not. This isn’t a case of how obstructive people find it. Fact is (regarding the second photo) it's ridiculous that there is such a big Icon on screen still telling me to build a power node in west junction after I have ran 140 meters to pipe.
  • darkhunt333darkhunt333 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    I just modded it right out of the game. If I'm not aware I need to build a random power node 6000m away, that's the commanders problem. A good clip on mic is $3 on Amazon, Ebay, NCIX, TigerDirect, Newegg, and shopbot. Free shipping.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    @Jekt That workshop mod only works server side. This however: steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=175344136 is a brilliant client side mod allowing you to bind a key to a console command to remove any waypoints given to you, should work on all pubs. Not ideal and it wont work on ENSL consistency check servers but it is the current best solution to what clearly is a problem.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    If only it were that simple. Takes 30 seconds to open the lua file and navigate to the line of code you want.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    But it's so immersive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ReubotReubot Join Date: 2012-10-15 Member: 162374Members
    edited September 2013
    @mendasp reup the mod plz

Saunapack GUI mod removes the waypoint icon at least... I'm not sure if it passes the consistency check though.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I guess on your resolution/fov setting that does look pretty bad

I'm on 1080 at max fov and while I do hate that waypoint it never blocked something that badly for me! So I agree an option to turn that off would probably be dandy
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    my favourite is the defend yourself 0meters icon where you cant see a shizzle from dizzle. ebin trolling commander
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    kalakuja wrote: »
    my favourite is the defend yourself 0meters icon where you cant see a shizzle from dizzle. ebin trolling commander

I have to try that!
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    kalakuja wrote: »

Ban Aioros for this.

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kilo wrote: »
    @Jekt That workshop mod only works server side. This however: steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=175344136 is a brilliant client side mod allowing you to bind a key to a console command to remove any waypoints given to you, should work on all pubs. Not ideal and it wont work on ENSL consistency check servers but it is the current best solution to what clearly is a problem.

Yup, I know. I use to have it installed on the servers used in the AU leagues. I miss it greatly. Noticed that mod too, but of course it edits .lua files and won't pass any server checking *.lua.

Doubt the Saunapack would pass consistency on any server either that hasn't just disabled it completely.

Would be nice if particular mods could be actively whitelisted, instead of the consistency checking just comparing to the vanilla files no matter what.

So moddable. : (
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited September 2013
    Kilo wrote: »
    Spot the skulk?

You can't, because I have a huge blue square on the screen telling me to build some irrelevant power node I ran past 110 meters ago.

When is this going to be removed?

Commander waypoints give you arrows on the floor and a pinpoint on the map, anything that requires building has a small hammer icon on it. This huge vision obstruction is just unnecessary. At least give us an option to disable it or just make it a rookie mode feature. Admittedly when you look directly at it the blue square fades a little, but the white writing never does. I've had a few occasions where I'm trying to watch a vent and all I can see is 130 METERS CONSTRUCT!!!!

Anyone else find this really annoying?

Client mod to fix your problem:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=175344136&searchtext=waypoint

Unsure about compatibility with consistency checking.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Mods are nice and all but they dont work on half the servers.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Just make the game remove all waypoints when a marine uses the "Acknowledged" voice command. Simple solution to waypoint obstruction.
    edited September 2013
    That would be a good idea, if this game had an actual binding system for voice overs like that.

I think the problem is largely solved by changing that completely over the top waypoint icon and text to being nothing but a transparent hammer icon.

It doesn't need to be in an outlined circle.
    It doesn't need to have a background inside the circle.
    It doesn't need the strange shape things around the circle outline.
    It doesn't need the text saying how far away the waypoint is.
    It doesn't need the text explaining what waypoint type it is.
    It doesn't need to appear automatically with no option to toggle.
    It doesn't need to stay on the marines hud forever.

Less is more and all that, right? You could apply this to all of NS2 though, fluff everywhere.
    edited October 2013
    Exactly. Less is more.
    6.jpg
    sayx53.jpg
    PlanetSide2%202012-11-29%2020-31-24-94.png?psid=1
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Jekt wrote: »
    That would be a good idea, if this game had an actual binding system for voice overs like that.

I think the problem is largely solved by changing that completely over the top waypoint icon and text to being nothing but a transparent hammer icon.

It doesn't need to be in an outlined circle.
    It doesn't need to have a background inside the circle.
    It doesn't need the strange shape things around the circle outline.
    It doesn't need the text saying how far away the waypoint is.
    It doesn't need the text explaining what waypoint type it is.
    It doesn't need to appear automatically with no option to toggle.
    It doesn't need to stay on the marines hud forever.

Less is more and all that, right? You could apply this to all of NS2 though, fluff everywhere.

Although NS2's art style is more in favor of "more is more". Just look at all the cut angles, for example :)
    I think we could simplify it a bit, though.
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    Just make the game remove all waypoints when a marine uses the "Acknowledged" voice command. Simple solution to waypoint obstruction.

If I recall, pretty much every voice command can be heard by the aliens. Not sure if I like possibly giving away my position just to make the waypoint disappear.