How do I release a map to the workshop?

VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
edited September 2013 in Mapping
It can't be that hard, but I don't manage it...
It all boils down to: How does the folder structure have to look and where do I put which files?

Apparently there has to be a maps folder in the output folder, right? And in there the .level file and the overviews folder?
How do I create the files for the overviews folder?

Ignoring the source folder (because I have no custom content), I tried the following:

-output
--maps
---overviews
----???
---my_map.level

and

-output
--overviews
---???
--my_map.level

(and some variations).

Neither of them worked. Help?

edit: Oh, and the mod size was always smaller than the map size...

Comments

• [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I haven't used the new system yet, but i bet it should be similar to the old one and the ns2 folder architecture. Think of the output folder as of the ns2 folder:

Create a maps folder and put the level file + an overviews folder inside. Put the hmp + tga inside the overviews folder.

In order to create the overview files, you need a minimap entity in your level that is covering your map completely. Make sure that the entity has a square base, otherwise the minimap might not be accurate later ingame. Then I follow the Mapping Guidelines from the launchpad PDF (there is a programm from the community that does it automatically, but i prefer the hard way. Reminds me of C64 and old Windows times):

Generating Overviews / Minimaps

Commander mode will be unusable until you generate an overview for
    your map. Open a command prompt and navigate to your Natural
    Selection 2 folder in Steam. Then type overview "<full path to your .level
    file>" ns2\maps. For example, if you have Steam installed in program files
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2, open up
    a command prompt, change to that directory and type:
    Overview.exe "C:\Program
    Files\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection
    2\ns2\maps\dev_test.level" ns2\maps
    This looks at your minimap entity and commander_camera entities and
    generates the top-down minimap, as well as the smoothed heightmap
    which is used to set the current commander's height as he pans around.
    After you do this, it will put these files (in this case, dev_test.tga,
    dev_test.hmp and dev_test_hmp.tga) into the \ns2\maps\overviews
    directory. You probably won't need to generate an overview with every
    change you make, but will want to do it when you make bigger changes to
    lighting or layout.

The guide is outdated, but this should still work. Note: I never get it to work if the .level file is in the ns2 folder. So I copy the file to my desktop and change the path accordingly. There is an error message if you do it, just ignore it and wait until the programm finished. Then you should have a new folder + the overview files in the folder with the .level file (desktop).
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    Another thing... if the mod is JUST a map, then look in your "output" folder after using the builder. If there's a file in there called "game_setup.xml", delete that. I don't know what it's really for, but if I include it when I publish, the map doesn't start.

EDIT: Actually... hang on, I might be doing this wrong... but that at least WORKS.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Okay, I managed to create the overview files and the map is displayed in the list when I try to host the server. However, now I get a "file not found" error and the mod's size is suspiciously small. Anyway, Progress.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Subscribe to your own mod in the workshop (must be public, not private, not friends only), enable it in the main menu, then in the console type (without quotes) "map ns2_[your map name here ]" ie. "map ns2_hotdogs" is what I type for mine.

Make sure you don't have a map in your "maps" directory of the same name, or else you might not be downloading your mod, and instead are just loading the map from your hard drive. In my "maps" folder, I have "ns2_hotdogs-test.level" just so that doesn't happen.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    must be public, not private, not friends only

Aha!

I'm off testing stuff.
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Subscribe to your own mod in the workshop (must be public, not private, not friends only), enable it in the main menu, then in the console type (without quotes) "map ns2_[your map name here ]" ie. "map ns2_hotdogs" is what I type for mine.

Make sure you don't have a map in your "maps" directory of the same name, or else you might not be downloading your mod, and instead are just loading the map from your hard drive. In my "maps" folder, I have "ns2_hotdogs-test.level" just so that doesn't happen.

Nope, couldn't get it to work. I published it public...ly, the folder structure is correct, the overviews files are there; started it like you said. Still "File not found". I will recreate the mod later from scratch and see if it works.
  • minsciminsci Finland Join Date: 2013-05-27 Member: 185382Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Only thing that comes to mind is the workshop agreement. Or workshop just being a bitch.
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    You also have to subscribe and activate your mod/map to run it locally.
  • BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Okay, I managed to create the overview files and the map is displayed in the list when I try to host the server. However, now I get a "file not found" error and the mod's size is suspiciously small. Anyway, Progress.

You might have created the mod using the default template?
    Edit your 'game_setup.xml' and just leave in

<game>
    <name>ns2</name>
    <description>Rock Paper Skulk</description>
    </game>

.. you have to publish public as said above .. none of the other options will work :/ its annoying, but what can you do ;)

You might also need to accept some agreements in the workshop ..

oh .. also it's
    output
       |--maps
            |--mymap.level
            |--overviews
                 |-- mymap.hmp
                 |-- mymap.tga

If you're running your server locally .. remove any test files/maps you might have in your 'core' ns2 folder ..
    ie C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\ns2\maps

This might show that the map is there on a server .. but fail to download the mod/map from workshop ...
    Actually .. this might be another pointer to you needing to accept the workshop agreement too? You can publish .. but until you accept their agreement (this also happens if they modify it .. your mods stay invis even though they're published as public) they're hidden

edited September 2013
    Is there anything positive about the new system compared to the old one? Seems like more work and less gain to me...
    Back on my computer. Will try to re-release it this afternoon.
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    Its pretty much the same thing [awe]Sentinel. Once it is properly set up it works just the same, and setting it up is no more of a challenge than how it used to be. I managed to republish with same file ID with no hassle. You just got to know what you have to do.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    Just a side note, publishing anything but public seems to mess with things.

I'm sure you will facepalm for this, but is your map named "ns2_my_level.level" not my_level.level

Work in the source folder, have builder running in the background, use the installmap.bat to generate the minimaps files, copy them to source and overview, with the whole overview folder. Test your map by running NS2 through the Launchpad. You don't need a game_setup.xml, only need an editor_setup.xml if you added entities etc... to the editor, like water for example. Once satisfied make sure everything in source is in output. lua/entry will not be copied over, nor will overviews, Anytihng you have in source that is a .model, .dds, etc... will not be copied over. You have to copy those over yourself. Make sure you have a description and a title for the mod and then publish. Subscribe to your mod, enable it in the mod menu, click restart, start a server.
    Builder has to be running? Ok, another clue.
    It works. Guys, you are awesome.

Feel free to check out co_courtyard in the workshop. I'm happy about any feedback. (Especially about performance. somehow, this map is trying to kill my pc. (and yes, i have occlusion geo.))
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    Builder has to be running? Ok, another clue.
    Unless you want to manually open builder, click build, and then exit every time you update the map then yes, run the builder in the background.
    Can someone test if the map is working for him? You don't have to play/like/feedback it. I just want to know if the workshop release worked.
    I subscribed and downloaded the files. I had to put them manually in the ns2 folder to start the map. But it was working.

Two things that i noticed in a hurry:

- You need to add some command view entities. Or place them higher. The Commview is barely over the ground. I think no1 would comm like that ;)

- There are some flying crates south ofcourtyard.
    I subscribed and downloaded the files. I had to put them manually in the ns2 folder to start the map. But it was working.

Two things that i noticed in a hurry:

- You need to add some command view entities. Or place them higher. The Commview is barely over the ground. I think no1 would comm like that ;)

- There are some flying crates south ofcourtyard.

It's a combat map. I'll check the crates. Thank you for your feedback. Idk how to fix the installing issue, though. Will have to look at it.
    Hahaha, you are right. Just saw the CC and jumped in ;)
    Hahaha, you are right. Just saw the CC and jumped in ;)

:D

Just checked, it does say combat in the description I wrote :P