Need More Commanders

Comments

• RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I said in my previous post that I don't like commanders that hop in and contribute nothing but being a med or structure dispenser. Offering no input into the influence of the match and letting the team do all the thinking and playing.

I don't really like newbies that jump into a comm chair and don't say a word, those that never ask for help. Those that do ask for help especially verbal communicating I do love playing with because we need more players like that in this game.
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The reason I don't command as much as I do is simple.

Bad players with you as a Skulk/Marine, you can screw around and at least have fun.

Bad players with you as commander, hope you have a second monitor to watch a stream.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    RaZDaZ wrote: »
    I said in my previous post that I don't like commanders that hop in and contribute nothing but being a med or structure dispenser. Offering no input into the influence of the match and letting the team do all the thinking and playing.

It's not a problem tho. I used to be a comm like that (until I got bored not being involved) because when I'm marine I like making my own decisions, or even field commanding a bit. After all, the game's not rocket science, you win most games by taking rt's, holding rt's, killing rt's. Everyone has a map too, so it's not necessary for comm to tell you things.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    SlowLefty wrote: »

We need to some how encourage more people to take on the role, maybe some sort
    of visual skin perk for a couple of days to those who have commanded a full game.

Yes.
    Some may think it extreme, but I also believe completing commander training should
    be a requirement before you can join a server. It would help people better understand
    how resources are involved and reduce the 'I have never done it before' barrier.

Thoughts?

Maaaybe.

• NedStarNedStar Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Word! I've actually asked my friends who I was on teamspeak with on occasion if my in-game mic is working. And it always was....
    Amad wrote: »
    I can't believe there's so many people that finds Kharaa commanding, "boring" or they feel like they don't have to do anything while sitting in the chair. If that would be the case, we could just turn this game back into NS1 and let the gorges build the structures.

Well I wouldn't mind me some gorgie building. On a more serious note, I really don't need the comm to relay me information. In 99% of the cases I'm well aware whats going on and where I'm needed. Hell half the time I have to tell the commander his shit is getting chewed on in the hopes someone closer can deal with it.

When I comm I will always relay information of whats under attack, how many are incoming and when they need to drop what they are doing and double back.

I don't really command individual aliens as khamm as it seems somewhat pointless. Skulks should know what to do. Gorges I'm inclined to order about but anyone else really shouldn't need to have me tell them what to do.
    If I tell them "area X is under attack" and the players nearby refuse to go, you've already lost.

The thing is, if players are good you don't really need to tell them anything beyond a coordinated base push and relaying information. If players are bad, they won't listen no matter what.
    You need marines to expand, all aliens got to do is keep marines on the defensive and the khamm will work its magic.

Sure drifter micro is something to do, but when it comes down to it the alien khamm is rather easy and slow paced versus the hectic marine comming where EVERYONE needs your support.
    Nobody minds a khamm who's not using drifters, but a comm who isn't dropping medpacks will quickly get ejected.

Heck I'd settle for a khamm who gets rts and upgrades as that alone seems quite rare at times.
    Then again I've never quite mastered the "whip scare" or the unorthodox "1 rt and 10 crags at the hive" tactics.

Now with all that out of the way. I do enjoy being alien khamm to some extend. What many of us simply want is that it's on par with marine comming.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    I never know if it's better to finish biting down res or go defend res. which one is better with approximately equal res tower counts?
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Ill tell you why that is, it is because this game's entitled and bitchy player base whines, orders around and ultimately ejects any commander that doesnt meet their exacting and entitled standards.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    amoral wrote: »
    I never know if it's better to finish biting down res or go defend res. which one is better with approximately equal res tower counts?

In most cases, Aliens would be better off keeping their res and Marines would do better to kill alien res. Of course if the situation suggests you could have both, or that by making a particular choice you could end up failing on both, it's obviously going to different.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    sotanaht wrote: »

In most cases, Aliens would be better off keeping their res and Marines would do better to kill alien res. Of course if the situation suggests you could have both, or that by making a particular choice you could end up failing on both, it's obviously going to different.

im talking those pub situations where you've chewed halfway through a tower and a marine suddenly starts killing a harvester near your location. and nobody else is reacting. I usually tend to stay on theextractor.
    sotanaht wrote: »

im talking those pub situations where you've chewed halfway through a tower and a marine suddenly starts killing a harvester near your location. and nobody else is reacting. I usually tend to stay on theextractor.

The only questions are "will you be able to stop the marine if you go?" and "will someone else manage to stop the marine if you don't go?". Keeping your res alive as alien is generally more important than killing marine res, and the reverse is true for marines.
  • SlowLeftySlowLefty Join Date: 2011-02-13 Member: 81653Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Would like to hear more ideas for getting people to command.

Currently:

- Perks.
    - Better automatic team balance to reduce stacking.
    - Better way to give overall orders without voice / language barrier.
    - More involvement, fun, for alien commander, reduce drifter cost.
    - Commander GUI improvements, key bindings, alerts, jump priorities.
    - Increase player awareness, highlight things under attack, show res flow per second.
    - Increase thanks to the commander at the end, display the winning commanders name, etc.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think one important thing would be a proper way to communicate without a microphone, what the game doesnt currently have.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's not a problem tho. I used to be a comm like that (until I got bored not being involved) because when I'm marine I like making my own decisions, or even field commanding a bit. After all, the game's not rocket science, you win most games by taking rt's, holding rt's, killing rt's. Everyone has a map too, so it's not necessary for comm to tell you things.

I didn't say it was a problem, it's simply a personal gripe of mine.
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    A simple reward I have been missing is somehow to indicate on the scoreboard that the commander actually helped his team win. I have commanded many teams to a great victory, and when people is celebrating in the readyroom after, I'm the guy with a big 0, unless I killed someone with a whip or turret. So some kind of recognition. Maybe just the yellow name, you have when commanding...

And maybe a more strong indication of emergency. Someway of indicating that all players needs to respond to a rush. Right now, you can press area under attack or similar. If that was replaced with a bigger visible warning, so you would avoid the situations where a commader desperately tries to get attention, and when players fail to respond, he has to explain why he didn't react in time...
    edited September 2013
    shonan wrote: »
    I think one important thing would be a proper way to communicate without a microphone, what the game doesnt currently have.

I think a more robust non-voice system would diminish actual voice presence within the game without effectively replacing it. People who have mics would be less likely to use them given the option not to due to what amounts to fear of speaking in public, and those without mics would have significantly less encouragement to go out and get them. Any change that results in fewer players using voice communication also results in a negative feedback loop where even fewer players use voice because less of those they are playing with do.

While I can see what it adds to the game, given what it subtracts at the very least I think it should be an extremely low priority to development.
  • ChikunChikun Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178729Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    shonan wrote: »

Unless you have an absolutely fantastic field commander with a microphone you should never comm without one.

The thing I've found most discouraging as a marine comm are people saying you're spamming too many meds, yet none are on the ground after a skirmish. Really damn interesting.

However, the most frustrating part of commanding no matter what side are people who apparently play with no sound and have chat magically disabled. Everyone knows these people.

Ex: "Hey, "insert rediculous player name that makes me facepalm for saying out loud" the RT in observation is under attack and you're closest. Take care of it please." *Player goes in the completely opposite direction, RT is taken down, rage building*

5 minutes later notice the same player is closest to another RT that's under attack and decide to type out a similar message instead thinking "hey, maybe he has his sound off or mic's disabled for some stupid reason or another." Again, goes in the complete opposite direction.

I don't mind being outplayed in a game, it makes me think of things I could have done differently or more efficiently to get upgrades out sooner, but losing a match because of this is... It's frustrating, rage inducing, it doesn't foster any constructive critisism for myself, and I believe it may be a cause of aneurysms which is why the OP is noticing so few commanders.
  • ChucullinnChucullinn Join Date: 2013-09-05 Member: 187848Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Though I wouldn't say all commanders are bothered by the fact that their score for a round doesn't increase unless they get kills from whips/hydras etc. A system in which the commander perhaps gets 10% (or some other variable value) of each persons score on the team at the end of the game would be a nice albeit minor way of showing how much they really contributed to the round. After all, good commanders make good players even better.

This should probably go in suggestions but as we are on the topic of encouraging comm play I think it would be a good addition.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Chucullinn wrote: »
    Though I wouldn't say all commanders are bothered by the fact that their score for a round doesn't increase unless they get kills from whips/hydras etc. A system in which the commander perhaps gets 10% (or some other variable value) of each persons score on the team at the end of the game would be a nice albeit minor way of showing how much they really contributed to the round. After all, good commanders make good players even better.

This should probably go in suggestions but as we are on the topic of encouraging comm play I think it would be a good addition.

Not necessary. For example gorges get points by doing positive actions (regarding the team), like growing things etc... The same is possible (or enabled) for Marine commander. it's just a question of "pricing" it.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I do think there are good comms without a mic - I've seen them, occasionally.
    Not necessary. For example gorges get points by doing positive actions (regarding the team), like growing things etc... The same is possible (or enabled) for Marine commander. it's just a question of "pricing" it.

Khamms get points the same way as gorges do by building things with a drifter. Points awarded when a drifter buffed lifeform kills a marine/structure. Points the same way a gorge gets for healing a lifeform with a crag.
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It helps to give your team simple rules as a commander at the start of the game. Something like:

"3 kills entitle you to 1 medpack"
    "2 minutes of silent obedience entitle you to 1 ammo box"
    "4 compliments about my voice entitle you to 1 scan"

So your marines know they have to prove themselves before they can expect a medpack,ammo or a scan.
    Marines who are hitting diddly squat will know why they are not receiving medpacks.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Coms don't need to com! Every player has a map, more often then not I call out "observation under attack" as a player well before the com. If a com isn't incompetent and can recognise the players who know what's going on a com can easily delegate all com/strat to players and simply med/build/scan/beacon.

If we want coms to com, we need to give them something to set them apart from players (from an information point of view)...
    Sammey wrote: »

*Obligatory face for radio comment*

Not unless you are either Liam Neeson, Harrison Ford, Kevin Conroy in his "Batman" voice, Jeff Bridges, or Isaac Hayes will you get such a comment from me sir.
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Chikun wrote: »

Not unless you are either Liam Neeson, Harrison Ford, Kevin Conroy in his "Batman" voice, Jeff Bridges, or Isaac Hayes will you get such a comment from me sir.
    What if he is Morgan Freeman?
    B3rT wrote: »
    What if he is Morgan Freeman?

That is also acceptable.
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow

It's just that I'd immediately see through their bootlicking when they are complimenting on for instance my handsome jawline which they are obviously unable to see. That will deny them medpacks for the rest of the game!

Complimenting on my voice however, which happens to sound just like James Earl Jones, would not sound like sucking up to me as commander.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Complimenting on my voice however, which [...] sounds just like James Earl Jones, would not sound like sucking up to me as commander.

...but sucking up to Darth Vader.

Here, Darth Vader demonstrates why the Imperial Navy sucks:

Threats just produce temporary compliance. Offering rewards or bribes just produces even more temporary compliance.
    How will the Empire ever get to the point where they have competent officers if they kill everyone at the first mistake?

Same goes for your attitude towards marines.
    How will they get the kill if they needed 1 medkit or ammo (I mean: d'uh!) to make that kill possible in the first place?

You are sabotaging yourself and Darth Vader is an incompetent fool who shouldn't be commanding anything bigger than a fighter craft.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    edited September 2013
    Maybe some personal $$$ for the commander that they can spend next game either as commander on something you'd normally have to wait to get for the team or if they go player next game after commanding they get some $$$ to spend on the black market and buy something for themselves... like a wep not researched yet or fist exo etc.

Just throwing some ideas for incentive.