Gameplay observations which rob this game short of a deserved 10/10

TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
edited September 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
I've been one of those long time loving players which pre-ordered the game as soon as it was available.

In its current state there are a few things which make the game rough around the edges, having addressed would help raise player satisfaction. I'm not going to go on about balancing as currently it's very balanced. I'm a fan of more dynamic gameplay and sci-fi, but there has to be a certain aspect of realism/believability for it to be gracefully received by the audience.

Recycling
This shouldn't be removed, but it seems rather mystical how it compacts itself despite being attacked and loss of power. Other than the quick recycle time, it delivers itself back to the Marine commander.

Instead this could make for more dynamic and interesting gameplay, compacting structures into a block which must be retrieved by a marine.

Dropped Marine guns disappearing too soon
While this most likely is to lower the overhead of having these weapons existing. They're too quick. How about a compromise.

Generally when there's a lot of dropped weapons existing at any one time, they're the standard Marine weapon. Either not dropping this when there's already a certain number existing or balancing the time depending on its value in credits could be a solution.

Gorge Tunnel Accessing
Quite often people stand on or near a tunnel entry without the intent to go in. Also quite often there's additional time wasted when intending to enter a whole due to this time.

Instead working on how close the alien/marine is looking towards the tunnel entry. Making you immediately dive in when looking straight at it, yet not making the mistake of being swallowed by it.

Upon disrupting the evolving process as an alien, seeing as Marines can obtain spent credits no matter how damaged the structure is, it would be only fair to reimburse the number of credits depending on how far the player progressed into becoming that alien. Perhaps even give the Marines credits based on the condition of the structure.

Medpacks and the spamming of them

While I do believe these should remain in the game, how they are in the current state feels unfinished and unrealistic.

How about regeneration over a short period of time, rather than instant health. Despite the overhead of it continuously increasing health, it would improve the healing from a slightly more realistic perspective and a fairer one for the alien attackers.

Jumping diagonally to maintain speed, in reality, it's quite easy to lose speed by misjudging a jump or running into a wall. It would make more sense to maintain the gain speed just going forward, without resorting to this motion exploit.

Finally is the Marine jump, sure gravity in certain planets, space and artificial gravity may not be that of Earth, but for all these conditions the height is ridiculously high. perhaps certain maps having a slight variation on gravity would maintain the skilled jumping players on certain maps, or just making it a bit more real. You can't successfully aim and jump in real life, let alone with a suit of armour.

Usually when people post suggestions, they tend to favour themselves in-order to do better at the game. As I'm always getting friends to purchase this game and telling them about the great gameplay, these would certainly make the game more enjoyable for all.

Comments

• Vision305Vision305 Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187724Members
    I like it all.
    This game I hear is like "Counter Strike and Starcraft" mixed together yet in Counterstrike taking damage slows you down. Meanwhile in this game biting a marine results in the marines hopping away at incredible speeds. The same goes for skulks getting shot and still jumping around and running super fast like they never got shot at. I would like to see some more combat mechanisms introduced that give an advantage to whoever attacks first instead of whoever has the most practice jumping in this game.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Vision305 wrote: »
    This game I hear is like "Counter Strike and Starcraft" mixed together
    That only begins to explain ns2. It is so much more than that.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I like it all.
    This game I hear is like "Counter Strike and Starcraft" mixed together yet in Counterstrike taking damage slows you down. Meanwhile in this game biting a marine results in the marines hopping away at incredible speeds. The same goes for skulks getting shot and still jumping around and running super fast like they never got shot at. I would like to see some more combat mechanisms introduced that give an advantage to whoever attacks first instead of whoever has the most practice jumping in this game.

Once you've played a little more, you'll start to realize that the idea of slowing down skulks when they are hit is not is not very good.
    Giving an advantage to whoever attacks first would give the advantage to the marine in 80% of the time. Aliens have to get in melee range before they can attack. Even good positioning and stealthy play often includes taking a few shoots as an alien before reaching your target. Also, just think about the poor fades! They feel like a geriatric version of what they used to be (not complaining actually :) already, but slowing them down through damage would be an auto-death sentence each time they'd engage in a fight.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I like it all.

There's a reason why counter-strike is a low/med individual skill ceiling, the whole game is about positioning/strategy.. only reason tagging was ok in cs was because you had better movement in 1.6, in the latter version they added small amounts of tagging but it's pointless because there's no movement, not to mention they have a screenkick either way the game took out individual skill so it's literally only about teamwork and how you position yourself/rotate on the map

it would never work for this game, and I'm pretty sure it'd cause aliens to never win a single round, ever
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    I like it all.

Can you stop polluting every single thread with your narrow view and almost identical responses?

I thought you already quit and promised to not return anyways: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/132298/frustrations-with-this-game. Instead, you've posted no less than 8 times after you "quit this game".
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Fairly sure first two posts are in satire guys...
    I like it all.

Once you've played a little more, you'll start to realize that the idea of slowing down skulks when they are hit is not is not very good.
    Giving an advantage to whoever attacks first would give the advantage to the marine in 80% of the time. Aliens have to get in melee range before they can attack. Even good positioning and stealthy play often includes taking a few shoots as an alien before reaching your target. Also, just think about the poor fades! They feel like a geriatric version of what they used to be (not complaining actually :) already, but slowing them down through damage would be an auto-death sentence each time they'd engage in a fight.

Most of what I am talking about is in reference to the early game Marine vs Skulk combat. I dont believe you when you say that it would give the advantage to the marine most of the time. Either way the skulks already die so fast it wouldnt matter as much. What would turn the tide is a correct ambush from vents or the roof almost guaranteeing win in a fight and preventing the marines from hopping away at full speed.

I am pretty sure that if tweaked well this mechanism would give it a feel of combat similar to counterstrike where being shot at slows you down temporarily until you get out of the line of fire. Make the skulk slightly faster or start with the leaping upgrade and it would be pretty even, pretty fair, and funner than what we have now. What we have now looks like combat from the old school games like Quake where jumping was completely essential in combat 100% of the time.
    PaLaGi wrote: »
    I like it all.

Can you stop polluting every single thread with your narrow view and almost identical responses?

I thought you already quit and promised to not return anyways: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/132298/frustrations-with-this-game. Instead, you've posted no less than 8 times after you "quit this game".

Now now, who is really polluting when you have 100+ comments and I have 20?
  • HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    PaLaGi wrote: »
    I like it all.

Now now, who is really polluting when you have 100+ comments and I have 20?

What does his total post count have to do with you spouting the same rhetoric over and over in pretty much every single one of your posts?
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I like it all.

Most of what I am talking about is in reference to the early game Marine vs Skulk combat. I dont believe you when you say that it would give the advantage to the marine most of the time.

It doesn't matter if you believe me or not and it doesn't matter if you talk about early or late game. How can you even reference any stage of the game when talking about a mechanic that effects the whole game at any time?

Either way the skulks already die so fast it wouldnt matter as much.

So, it would be a good idea to implement slow down on damage because Skulks are screwed anyway and making it even worse helps in what way exactly? Nice approach...

What would turn the tide is a correct ambush from vents or the roof almost guaranteeing win in a fight and preventing the marines from hopping away at full speed.

And what has that got to do with the implementation of slowing players down when taking damage?

I am pretty sure that if tweaked well this mechanism would give it a feel of combat similar to counterstrike where being shot at slows you down temporarily until you get out of the line of fire.

Why don't you just go ahead and play Counterstrike if you can't life without that super-realistic combat?

Make the skulk slightly faster or start with the leaping upgrade and it would be pretty even, pretty fair, and funner than what we have now.

Faster Skulk + Leap from the start? Balanced and fun? For the Aliens maybe...

What we have now looks like combat from the old school games like Quake where jumping was completely essential in combat 100% of the time.

I agree that Marine jumping is over the top atm. I still don't get though why you insist on fixing that by implementing a frustrating mechanic like slowing players down when they take damage... You ignored my point about the effect this would have on other lifeforms like the Fade

From what you posted so far it becomes apparent that you are either new to the game or that you are a very casual player. There's nothing wrong about that, but if I were you I would keep an open mind to arguments of players who might be able to share some long-grown experience instead of trying to desperatly push an agenda.