Changes you would like to see reversed

KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
edited September 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
For me, these two things that are super-annoying:

- marine strafe jump
- the "no res for 60s after chair" rule

Both are extremely annoying.

The alien vision could use some love too, but all other changes are good, mostly.

Minor improvements - gorge webs could be cheaper/earlier, onos bone shield bindable to right mouseclick.

Comments

• MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    Changes they should reverse...

1) Undo the unnecessary Gorge nerfs. Put them back at 5 res, and either give them Babblers at the start again, or move Webs to be usable at start.

2) Revert the colors of Alien vision back to the green/orange setup, while keeping the glare in lit up areas. The new red with blinding white enemies/structures is SO harsh on the eyes it's unforgivable. Plus the outlines when Alien vision is off really need to go. It actually makes tracking Marines HARDER!!

3) Revert the buffs to the Shotgun. I honestly can't believe they made it MORE accurate. It takes very little skill to get a Shotgun and slaughter every Alien that you see. - I had to play Marine yesterday and after I bought the Shotgun I was unstoppable. Ended the game with around 30 kills and only died once.

4) Take strafe jumping back out. It gives Marines far too much of an advantage in melee range. Marines are supposed to have the advantage at long range, and Aliens have the advantage up close. However currently Marines have an advantage over Aliens for both long range and melee range encounters. - Besides even without the strafe jump, decent Marines were able to jump and kill the Skulk before dying. (When a Marine can jump away faster than a Skulk can jump forward, there is a serious balance problem)
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    @MoFo No, gorges still need MORE nerfs tbh.

@Kamamura I think the no res for comm is dumb, IMO, pick EITHER no res for 60s after getting out, OR no starting res, not both.
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

You must be joking right? Early game Gorge is pretty much a waste of resources at the moment. Beyond easy for Marines to kill, even when they already have their clogs and hydras up. Plus the change to res is just stupid. Upgraded Gorge costs the same as before (11 res) but un-upgraded costs more (8 vs 5)

I used to go Gorge early game to help secure territory and back up my team. I usually had a 50/50 chance of securing a room, then I'd get tunnels up, then I'd run around and heal until I could afford a Lerk. - Since the nerf I've stopped going Gorge entirely. They die so easily that they simply aren't worth the p.res, especially since anything you build also costs p.res, and by the time they can do anything really useful it's late in the game. (and by then the commander can afford to drop Gorge eggs)

• CJoker3221CJoker3221 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165521Members

@Kamamura I think the no res for comm is dumb, IMO, pick EITHER no res for 60s after getting out, OR no starting res, not both.
    Yea, I figured you would like Gorges to get a nerf for their hp :p
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Babbler HP nerf is a bit baffling to me. Were they causing someone trouble or something?!
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited September 2013
    I'd like to see fade movement restored and actually just have it required more energy like it said so in the patch notes, because not only does it now require more energy, it's also slower and feels like it has way less control

You could get pretty good with the 250 fade, this fade is just similar to the brick skulk in a terrible feeling

Everything else can stay as is, I have no issues, I'd like to see nanoshields only be able to be applied on structures though

Also Arcs struggle to hit contaminated whips sometimes but that's more of a bug
  • Martin7Martin7 Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148108Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Onos bone shield bindable to right mouseclick.

Same for Vortex - should be bind able on a separate key so you don´t have to switch between attack and vortex all the time during a fast fight - I´m not the best player with fade and also have to improve my skills with fade but it happens to me that I switch too fast and use vortex already between 5 marines - that´s no fun, it also slows you extremely down if you have to switch between those actions all the time.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    MoFo wrote: »

You must be joking right? Early game Gorge is pretty much a waste of resources at the moment. Beyond easy for Marines to kill, even when they already have their clogs and hydras up. Plus the change to res is just stupid. Upgraded Gorge costs the same as before (11 res) but un-upgraded costs more (8 vs 5)

I used to go Gorge early game to help secure territory and back up my team. I usually had a 50/50 chance of securing a room, then I'd get tunnels up, then I'd run around and heal until I could afford a Lerk. - Since the nerf I've stopped going Gorge entirely. They die so easily that they simply aren't worth the p.res, especially since anything you build also costs p.res, and by the time they can do anything really useful it's late in the game. (and by then the commander can afford to drop Gorge eggs)

A gorge on it's own can die sure, and it SHOULD, what I'm talking about is how ridiculously easy it is for a gorge to deny access to a room/area with just 1-2 skulks as backup. IF the gorge and skulks play properly and don't get themselves killed for no reason.

A gorge on it's own can die sure, and it SHOULD, what I'm talking about is how ridiculously easy it is for a gorge to deny access to a room/area with just 1-2 skulks as backup. IF the gorge and skulks play properly and don't get themselves killed for no reason.

1 Gorge on it's own should NOT be an easy kill for 1 LMG Marine - Gorges cost p.res while LMG Marines cost nothing. - Currently 1 Marine can easily kill a Gorge even with 3 hydras up and shooting him.

Also 3 Marines can lock down an area just as easily as a Gorge and 1-2 Skulks can. Remember the Marines can get backup from the commander, AND they don't have to waste p.res to get defenses up. Phase gates and turrets are FREE for players... Tunnels and Hydras cost p.res for Gorges.

Making a single Marine even with a single Gorge is putting the Gorge at a MASSIVE disadvantage. A complete waste of resources.

1 Gorge on it's own should NOT be an easy kill for 1 LMG Marine - Gorges cost p.res while LMG Marines cost nothing. - Currently 1 Marine can easily kill a Gorge even with 3 hydras up and shooting him.

Also 3 Marines can lock down an area just as easily as a Gorge and 1-2 Skulks can. Remember the Marines can get backup from the commander, AND they don't have to waste p.res to get defenses up. Phase gates and turrets are FREE for players... Tunnels and Hydras cost p.res for Gorges.

Making a single Marine even with a single Gorge is putting the Gorge at a MASSIVE disadvantage. A complete waste of resources.

I'd say 1 marine vs a single gorge can kill it about half the time if it has hydras up, depending how good his aim is and how good at dodging/landing spit it is. But I disagree it SHOULDN'T be an easy kill, a support class playing rogue should be slapped down and punished for being stupid, not rewarded. If it plays properly, as a SUPPORT class, meaning it needs soldier class (skulks) with it, then it's overpowered as fuck.
    Eh

I think before it was a perfect 50/50 chance... If a Gorge was careless they were screwed, it took careful placement of hydras/clogs, along with constantly keeping babblers on yourself, and even then you could still sometimes lose if the Marine had good aim.

Now Marines have like a 90% chance of killing that same Gorge, regardless of how careful their placement is, or how good their aim with spit is, or (most importantly) how bad the Marines aim is.

So I say lets just agree to disagree. lol
  • SpiritwindSpiritwind Join Date: 2008-04-20 Member: 64116Members
    edited September 2013
    It took me a little while, but I think the changes the put in from Reinforced were great.

At first, because it was something new and I wasn't experienced with them, I didn't like them. But once I forced myself to start using them, and learn the best time to use them; I started to like them.

The only thing that I would like to see changed is;
    Babbler Biomass requirements. Babblers are very handy early game, but are useless and a waste of money past the 5 minute mark.

I think Babblers should be enabled right when the game starts, and require no biomass.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    I think gorge is in a great place. I can still hold rooms well in both early and late game.

The trick is to lure marines back to your hydras and have clog pillars set up that you can dodge around, while your hydras are set around the room (not all in one place) covering each other.

Using yourself as bait, you can run around the cover you made, while your hydras kill the marine. If the marine stops to shoot a hydra, spit him until he dies, or starts shooting at you again.

This works (depending on hydra and clog placement) on single or multiple marines (and yes, even on marines that are not bad).

=======

I feel like the energy required to swipe should be reduced, and walk speed increased a little to compensate for the insane energy cost of blink
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    @Benson - yes, fade basic movement is utterly useless. I still hate fade from the design perspective, it's one broken lifeform.
    edited September 2013
    @Benson - yes, fade basic movement is utterly useless. I still hate fade from the design perspective, it's one broken lifeform.
    How is the Fade a broken lifeform?
    As for energy drain, yeah, blink is pretty heavy on the energy, and its rather difficult to do well without full Adrenaline upgrades. With it however, it feels just right.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Spiritwind wrote: »
    As for energy drain, yeah, blink is pretty heavy on the energy, and its rather difficult to do well without full Adrenaline upgrades. With it however, it feels just right.

I agree with this for the most part.

We definitely do not want easy-mode fades, however, I don't think a base walk speed boost would be too much to ask for, considering that if you do run out of energy, you will be dead before you can regen enough energy to even swipe again.
  • Vision305Vision305 Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187724Members
    The marine jumping needs fixing. I mean have it require energy and limit how often they can jump. Bunny hopping looks terrible in a game like this. And of course the strafe jump absolutely needs to go. It is hard to see as an alien with your eyes being inside your mouth and losing your target every time you hit the bite button. This in combination with the strafe jumping makes marines disappear and reappear far away from you from your screen after you bite them. I think that the p.o.v biting animations should be a little transparent so that you aren't blinded every time you bite. I mean the eyes are on the outside of the mouth not the inside. The alien vision needs a little work too because it hurts your eyes to turn it on, why I never use it at all.
    Benson wrote: »

I agree with this for the most part.

We definitely do not want easy-mode fades, however, I don't think a base walk speed boost would be too much to ask for, considering that if you do run out of energy, you will be dead before you can regen enough energy to even swipe again.

I havent played NS1 for a long time, but didnt the fade have an ability to regen energy?
    @Vision305 Biting marines who are bunny hoping takes practice, just as it takes practice to be able to outmaneuver and dodge those pesky skulks. Marines are much easier to read, chances are if they bhop out of the way once, their going to do it a second time, just try and predict that and adjust your hits to where they are going to be. Also, if they are doing this, and you just cant seem to get a good bite in, quickly run up the nearest wall and attack from above, its much harder to dodge a skulk that is falling towards you.
    @Spiritwind

Yes, fades had metabolize witch rengerated both health and energy. They could use this in between blinking.
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    Changes they should reverse...

1) Undo the unnecessary Gorge nerfs. Put them back at 5 res, and either give them Babblers at the start again, or move Webs to be usable at start.

2) Revert the colors of Alien vision back to the green/orange setup, while keeping the glare in lit up areas. The new red with blinding white enemies/structures is SO harsh on the eyes it's unforgivable. Plus the outlines when Alien vision is off really need to go. It actually makes tracking Marines HARDER!!

3) Revert the buffs to the Shotgun. I honestly can't believe they made it MORE accurate. It takes very little skill to get a Shotgun and slaughter every Alien that you see. - I had to play Marine yesterday and after I bought the Shotgun I was unstoppable. Ended the game with around 30 kills and only died once.

4) Take strafe jumping back out. It gives Marines far too much of an advantage in melee range. Marines are supposed to have the advantage at long range, and Aliens have the advantage up close. However currently Marines have an advantage over Aliens for both long range and melee range encounters. - Besides even without the strafe jump, decent Marines were able to jump and kill the Skulk before dying. (When a Marine can jump away faster than a Skulk can jump forward, there is a serious balance problem)

I wholeheartedly agree with all of this
  • SupremeThroneXSupremeThroneX Join Date: 2013-03-20 Member: 184093Members
    I would want to get rid off the marine strafe jump and also the upgrade to the stupid jetpack. The marines can now fly forever if done correctly. Stupid OP. Also bring the gorge back to 5 p.res everything else is fine.
  • Vision305Vision305 Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187724Members
    @Vision305 Biting marines who are bunny hoping takes practice, just as it takes practice to be able to outmaneuver and dodge those pesky skulks. Marines are much easier to read, chances are if they bhop out of the way once, their going to do it a second time, just try and predict that and adjust your hits to where they are going to be. Also, if they are doing this, and you just cant seem to get a good bite in, quickly run up the nearest wall and attack from above, its much harder to dodge a skulk that is falling towards you.

Have tried this numerous times and by that time marine has help. Also, the jump maneuver that you mention is "easy" to just predict where they will go is nonsense. Not only are they faster when they jump, they gain a distance from you and it takes less than a second to mow down a skulk. It sounds like you think you got it figured out. Not only that, if they run out of bullets they pull out their pistol which has considerable amount of damage and fast reloading while jumping makes it so that a skulk just has to retreat. Should have never attacked the marine to begin with.

the other argument i present is that marine bunny hopping looks ridiculous. It looks terrible. The combat is ugly.