Aren't the Reinforcement Program tiers too expensive?

NeoQuaker1NeoQuaker1 New York Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183182Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
I love this game and appreciate all the updates they've done since release. I want UWE to keep working on it awhile longer, which is why I want them to make as much as possible with this donation program. But they might have overestimated how much people are willing donate. I think that everything included in the Shadow Badge should be offered for $25 or less.

Something like this:

Shadow Badge $25
Diamond Badge $15
Gold Badge $10
Silver Badge $5
Supporter Badger $1-4

So far they have about 2,200 contributors. I'm guessing NS2 has sold at least 50,000 copies. With lower prices, they would get a much greater percentage of the community to donate. I'm confident that getting more people to donate less, will yields better results than getting a few die hard fans to donate a lot. I for one would definitely get the Shadow Badge for $25, but the way it is now, I'll probably send $10. Again, I want what best for NS2, what do you think?

Comments

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Dunno, you might be right. On the flip side I'm not sure if NS2 has enough of a casual community to support it. Another problem is UWE getting more incentives together to create more tiers.
  • KazterKazter Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19481Members, Constellation
    Shadow Gorge Skin and I am sold.
  • NeoQuaker1NeoQuaker1 New York Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183182Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    So the cost of the tiers is not the "price" of the items, it's just a donation. The items are given to you as a small thank you from the company for doing your part.

If someone is looking at this program as a sale, they are not thinking about it the right way.

I understand that. When the whole game itself is just $25 (and sometimes offered at a huge discount), giving $40 for a soundtrack and new skin wouldn't make sense to anyone. So it has to be mostly out of appreciation to the UWE team. But I still think they are asking for a lot.

• MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    NeoQuaker1 wrote: »
    I love this game and appreciate all the updates they've done since release. I want UWE to keep working on it awhile longer, which is why I want them to make as much as possible with this donation program. But they might have overestimated how much people are willing donate. I think that everything included in the Shadow Badge should be offered for $25 or less.

Something like this:

Shadow Badge $25
    Diamond Badge $15
    Gold Badge $10
    Silver Badge $5
    Supporter Badger $1-4

So far they have about 2,200 contributors. I'm guessing NS2 has sold at least 50,000 copies. With lower prices, they would get a much greater percentage of the community to donate. I'm confident that getting more people to donate less, will yields better results than getting a few die hard fans to donate a lot. I for one would definitely get the Shadow Badge for $25, but the way it is now, I'll probably send $10. Again, I want what best for NS2, what do you think?

Supporter Badger?
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    NeoQuaker1 wrote: »
    So the cost of the tiers is not the "price" of the items, it's just a donation. The items are given to you as a small thank you from the company for doing your part.

If someone is looking at this program as a sale, they are not thinking about it the right way.

I understand that. When the whole game itself is just $25 (and sometimes offered at a huge discount), giving $40 for a soundtrack and new skin wouldn't make sense to anyone. So it has to be mostly out of appreciation to the UWE team. But I still think they are asking for a lot.

You are allowed to donate any amount of money, and it's an entirely voluntary system, so they aren't really asking for anything when you think about it in a certain way.
  • SolaritySolarity Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170515Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think it is fine, the additional stuff for shadow did help push to it's purchase. I know many people who got shadow, more than any else and I don't mind putting some money into a game as I would prefer to see this game supported. You can donate as much or as little as you want, don't let little perks stop you.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think UWE succeseeds at half there goal within 1 month from the program start.
    After that it probably goes really slow but they are not on a 30 day limit like kickstarter.
    And if they do another program in a few months i'm happy to give again.
  • kyliegirlkyliegirl Gorge Master Australia Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10586Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The items provided are more of a bonus or incentive, but the entire point of this event is to support UWE. I do not think they should reduce the prices, if you want to donate less there is a donate any amount button.
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kazter wrote: »

I'd gladly pay some more for that. Adding to it, I'd be fine with that kind of DLC in the game (cosmetic skins) I just despise any DLC that divides a playerbase or provides in game advantages. Might be worth considering as a supplemental revenue stream :D
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    Kazter wrote: »
    Big eyes and fur and I'm getting one of those icons too. As soon as I can afford it. I promise.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    There's a load of us wishing there were more of the onos level badges. I think UWE priced it about right, but didn't have quite enough of the higher tiers in and should have left onos badge unlimited :P

An upgrade to onos badge would see a lot of shadow donors like me upgrading to onos cos we missed out first time :)
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Or adding a few tiers (say, $100?)
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would certainly say that adding a $100 and $200 tier would be a savvy business move. The $333 Onos tiers sold out so quickly, and it's a pretty big leap from $75 to $8000.

I'm sure there's plenty of people who would be willing to donate more than $75, but since there was no tier option settled for the Shadow.

Another thing would be allowing people to upgrade their tiers, ie if you have purchased diamond you can pay 25 to go up to shadow.
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    The Reinforced program is not about purchasing items, it's about donating amount to go unknown worlds as a way of thanking them for their continued work and support of the game.

Let's look at it through the lens of a cynic (this is how 'disagrees' are born): I feel it's significant you paid exactly 75 though you say it is not a sale, I.e. The rewards are not significant. You're saying their progress wasn't worth 76, 77, 190, or 2k to you. You who can specify any amount to donate, just *happened* to donate the minimum amount
    to get the maximum status rewards. And with no influence of the rewards. Seems improbable.
    I think it's a cleverly pitched sales scheme selling a new, higher status and reprieve from a newly-created guilt, all of which is created to generate money from a previously failed business model.

You are looking at a subtly-introduced free to play model with an element of guilt, IMHO. Though the devs might not have intended this, this is effectually how it behaves
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    And where is the problem? If you want to look at this that way, ok. Nobody forces you to donate anything.

It simply doesn't matter how you define it. There was a request from players of being able to donate and UWE delivered. Together with a little thank you.

I could also define your post as envy instead of a normal opinion. Does it change anything? No. But one can talk bad about everything if he tries hard enough.
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think it's a cleverly pitched sales scheme selling a new, higher status and reprieve from a newly-created guilt, all of which is created to generate money from a previously failed business model.

You are looking at a subtly-introduced free to play model with an element of guilt, IMHO. Though the devs might not have intended this, this is effectually how it behaves

I enjoyed this post... I love the cynicism ;)

But sure, some level marketing is very much about creating needs and problems that you have solutions available for and that element is can be seen in any marketing. Then again, I really can't subscribe to this notion of me being guilt manipulated into this, although to some that may or course be the case. For me, NS1 & 2 have been the 2 subjectively best games I have played and I think I'm honest to myself saying that I've supported the game out of thankfulness.

PS. Even after NS2 preorder premium, shadow-reinforcement and all the server hosting costs, I think I'm actually on the plus side, what with the tournament gear prizes and the trip to Cologne... How is that for a good deal? ;)
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    The average donation is 55.6$ as of right now. If thats to show anything its that the prices are to set lower then what people have been willing to donate + the outcrys for a tier in the 100-200 range is vary freqvent.
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    They are not about to change the prices after 2000+ people have already donated. That wouldn't be fair despite it not being necessary.
    The Reinforced program is not about purchasing items, it's about donating amount to go unknown worlds as a way of thanking them for their continued work and support of the game.

Let's look at it through the lens of a cynic (this is how 'disagrees' are born): I feel it's significant you paid exactly 75 though you say it is not a sale, I.e. The rewards are not significant. You're saying their progress wasn't worth 76, 77, 190, or 2k to you. You who can specify any amount to donate, just *happened* to donate the minimum amount
    to get the maximum status rewards. And with no influence of the rewards. Seems improbable.

At the time I purchased my shadow tier I did not realize that you could specify any amount, so I chose to purchase the shadow tier because it was the highest available that remains within my price range. If I were to estimate a price on the items that you receive as part of the package, I'd say they're worth... $5? Maybe $10? The new skins are okay, but I don't ever see them so it does little for me. The shoulder decal I'm not a fan of. I didn't even download the soundtrack, I play this game with music muted anyway. I think that's all the rewards that come with it. My decision to purchase this had much more to do with a feeling of appreciation for a developer who has provided me with many hours of entertainment than it did with status or in-game items.