Classical 249 gameplay mod

ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
Author updated the workshop mod for build 249 gameplay. I personally thought build 249 was the most fun build to play gameplay wise. The changes UWE made just made the gameplay less fun in my opinion to "fix" what they "perceived" as problems.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/4920/discussions/0/846963710875275634/

Alien vision isn't fixed in the mod yet, so it's still the current AV instead of build 249 AV.

Comments

• CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It will be fun to screw around with it but hell if Cara/Leap/Fades every game got boring.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    lets fragment the already small playerbase... awesome
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    People still think 249 was better than what we have now...?
  • Super_GorgeSuper_Gorge Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184212Members
    edited September 2013

People think that marine turtling on 1 CC and teching up is better than forcing expansions and actual gameplay...?
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    249 wasn't exactly led zeppelin or rolling stones.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    More like Spice Girls. It was nice to enjoy it for a while at its time. But in the end you feel somehow bad for enjoying it now. :D
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    So a maintained mod to give some players what they want is bad?
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    kk20 wrote: »

It's a free country, you can do whatever you want, but the opinion of most is yes it is bad.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members

it has better netcode, performance, and alien vision than the current build

and better balance than 250/251 for random pubs and probably even competitive play

don't know about reinforced's balance. the game actually has to be playable first before we figure out how it turns out
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    fade movement was better. Not much else.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    biz wrote: »
    it has better netcodet

Proof?
  • EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There's so much difference between what we have now and what was in 249 that I can't even say which is better, I'll definitely go to 249 servers every now and then in the future, but I still love what the game has become.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow

and better balance than 250/251 for random pubs and probably even competitive play

don't know about reinforced's balance. the game actually has to be playable first before we figure out how it turns out

Netcode has always been awful. Performance was better, but that is purely a temporary thing. Alien vision was crap before, I'll take the current slight highlighting over that any day of the week.

Balance was much, much worse, for both pubs and competitive play. Cara was the only worthwhile upgrade, exos were worthless, every game boiled down to aliens building up an unbeatable fadeball.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

Netcode has always been awful. Performance was better, but that is purely a temporary thing. Alien vision was crap before, I'll take the current slight highlighting over that any day of the week.

Balance was much, much worse, for both pubs and competitive play. Cara was the only worthwhile upgrade, exos were worthless, every game boiled down to aliens building up an unbeatable fadeball.

Exos where worthless? The only thing that sticks to my mind from 249 were the Exo/Arc trains of death!

Exos where worthless? The only thing that sticks to my mind from 249 were the Exo/Arc trains of death!

They cost 50 res (the same as the ultra-OP 249 Fade) and brought virtually nothing good to the table. They were slow, they couldn't do anything other than kill aliens (they weren't even that great at killing Fades, which is what 90% of the alien team was after ten minutes anyway), and they couldn't be beaconed. "Exo trains of death" were a complete liability and any good team could immediately counter it by rushing base.
    shriike wrote: »
    kk20 wrote: »

It's a free country, you can do whatever you want, but the opinion of most is yes it is bad.
    I dont believe you commented previously. Most of the previous comments were downright negative.

People whine when there are no mods then whine when there are.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You know that's what forums are for right? Whining.
    Surely to thrash out meaningful improvements?
  • AnthyrAnthyr Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187742Members
    The Alien Vision is now again a similar vision to 249, its of course not exact the same but something like it was before.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I wish there was 228 mod.
  • nsguynsguy Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69869Members
    I very much preferred b249 to the junk we now have. I still hate the biomass system. Even look what it led to: a whip being needed to research leap... Also shifts can't be used for sneaky flanking attacks, which was something which always kept me on my toes when commanding as marines and kept me more active when commanding as aliens. I think a lot of people here who like the new system don't actually command very often, hence didn't feel the downgrade in enjoyability of commanding. No one can say that biomass resolved imbalanced games given that we never saw small incremental changes, but always large ones that changed many factors about the game.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    nsguy wrote: »
    I very much preferred b249 to the junk we now have. I still hate the biomass system. Even look what it led to: a whip being needed to research leap... Also shifts can't be used for sneaky flanking attacks, which was something which always kept me on my toes when commanding as marines and kept me more active when commanding as aliens. I think a lot of people here who like the new system don't actually command very often, hence didn't feel the downgrade in enjoyability of commanding. No one can say that biomass resolved imbalanced games given that we never saw small incremental changes, but always large ones that changed many factors about the game.

I was on 249 just yesterday, had 15 cloaked drifters not far from enemy base. Feels good to insta kill unsuspecting marines. I even managed to kill and exo with these beasts. Poor dude didn't know how to react to this.
  • AnthyrAnthyr Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187742Members
    And their scouting abilities were crucial for good map controlling on 249 as aliens, which is mostly forgotten.