How does the new score system work?

VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
Since yesterday, I can finally play reinforced. But I have not idea how the new score system works. Did I miss a memo?

Comments

• Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Everything still has point values, but now those point values are divided up between everyone who assisted in getting the kill, destroying the building, etc. Amounts of points are proportional to the damage you dealt.

So for example, if skulks are worth 7 points (not sure what they're actually worth) and one person does about 90% of the damage to the skulk, but then his friend walks into the room and deals the final shot, the guy who gets the kill gets 1 point, and the guy who gets the assist gets 6 points, because he did more damage. If they did more even amounts of damage, one will get 3 and the other will get 4.

In a real life example, last night I had an extended and intense 1v1 fight with a lerk in cargo. I made him retreat multiple times, but eventually he came in and took me down. After I respawned, I was awarded 23 points. Not knowing why, I looked up at the kill feed and saw that someone had just taken down the lerk.
  • Kro55f1r3Kro55f1r3 Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184674Members
    Maybe they should to show up the score on each HUD under HP and Armor , and show why you get point by a icon and % to represent how you get this +23
    Like some games
    a little showlist disappear immediately and represent how you get the score up.
    100% Skulk +6
    100% Lerk +20
    50% Ressources +10
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    Kro55f1r3 wrote: »
    Maybe they should to show up the score on each HUD under HP and Armor , and show why you get point by a icon and % to represent how you get this +23
    Like some games
    a little showlist disappear immediately and represent how you get the score up.
    100% Skulk +6
    100% Lerk +20
    50% Ressources +10

No useless screen clutter in fast based shooting. Rather have them in console.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Everything still has point values, but now those point values are divided up between everyone who assisted in getting the kill, destroying the building, etc. Amounts of points are proportional to the damage you dealt.

So for example, if skulks are worth 7 points (not sure what they're actually worth) and one person does about 90% of the damage to the skulk, but then his friend walks into the room and deals the final shot, the guy who gets the kill gets 1 point, and the guy who gets the assist gets 6 points, because he did more damage. If they did more even amounts of damage, one will get 3 and the other will get 4.

In a real life example, last night I had an extended and intense 1v1 fight with a lerk in cargo. I made him retreat multiple times, but eventually he came in and took me down. After I respawned, I was awarded 23 points. Not knowing why, I looked up at the kill feed and saw that someone had just taken down the lerk.

I think some of the points are based either on killing sprees, or else you get extra points for doing more than 100% damage if some health is healed. For example if you did 2000 damage to a fade over his lifetime you might end up with 60 or more points when he's finally killed. Whatever the reason I've had fade and lerk kills and assists in the nature of 40-60 points.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    sotanaht wrote: »

I think some of the points are based either on killing sprees, or else you get extra points for doing more than 100% damage if some health is healed. For example if you did 2000 damage to a fade over his lifetime you might end up with 60 or more points when he's finally killed. Whatever the reason I've had fade and lerk kills and assists in the nature of 40-60 points.

Yeah, I think that's probably right, 23 is more than I would have expected for a lerk kill, and I think it was because he kept retreating and healing, leading me to do more damage than I normally would vs a lerk
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Gotta love these threads, seems that the longer I play the less I understand... Oh well I guess I'll just keep killing things and figure it out later...
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    one does not simply KNOW, we just DO things.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold

That doesn't sound optimal. As a Fade, you're basically designed to stay in combat till you take x amount of damage, and decide to retreat. The failure for the Fade, and the win for the marine, comes from killing the Fade AFTER he has gone below his comfort and decided to retreat. Aka the killing shot. The damage before that is trivial and expected, so it shouldn't really reward you points over the killing blow.

Should imho give atleast equal points for damage and kill.

Disclaimer: Doesn't really matter tho, kill count is still there. Speaking of which, still asking for an option to remove assists from score board, there's just too much info right now. I like that they shortened Kills Deaths Assists to K D and A, but it's still a bit messy. Kills and deaths should be side by side for quick K/D info.

That doesn't sound optimal. As a Fade, you're basically designed to stay in combat till you take x amount of damage, and decide to retreat. The failure for the Fade, and the win for the marine, comes from killing the Fade AFTER he has gone below his comfort and decided to retreat. Aka the killing shot. The damage before that is trivial and expected, so it shouldn't really reward you points over the killing blow.

Should imho give atleast equal points for damage and kill.

Disclaimer: Doesn't really matter tho, kill count is still there. Speaking of which, still asking for an option to remove assists from score board, there's just too much info right now. I like that they shortened Kills Deaths Assists to K D and A, but it's still a bit messy. Kills and deaths should be side by side for quick K/D info.

Well, you'll be pleased to know then that skill ranking is heavily weighted to getting kills over merely getting points for damage. Kills are multipled by 18 while score is only multiplied by 0.6 and assists by 0.8.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Thank you for the information, sounds like a reasonable system.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    edited September 2013
    Points dealt for kills is a static amount of points for the entity killed (see the list) + number of upgrades it had. Then 10% of the score the entity had gained during that life is added, but capped so that it doesn't more than double the points.

Points are also awarded in the same fashion for any "children" the entity has. I'm not sure what this refers to but I guess it's stuff like a marine carrying a shotgun or a jetpack, so you get extra points for those as well.

Then points are "pseudoshared" between players in a funky way. The way comments and variable names are written the below looks like it may be bug, unless I'm reading this wrong.

For each player that dealt damage, they get points (calculated above) * total damage dealt by the player to this entity during its lifetime / max health (including armor) of the entity killed.

Lets pretend a skulk has 100 HP, including armor (armor is worth twice as much as HP). If one player1 dealt 40 damage to a skulk and player2 dealt 60 damage, killing the skulk, then player1 would get 40% of the points and player2 would get 60% of the points. Nothing strange here.

But if the skulk retreats just before getting killed, gets healed and then comes back and dies the damage dealt during the first encounter isn't forgotten, so player1 may get 80% of the points... and player2 gets 100% of the points (it's capped at 100%, you don't get 120% if you dealt 120 damage to the pretend skulk).

So points are not shared between players at all, they're only capped so that you only get the full amount of points if you have dealt as much damage to the entity during its entire lifetime to be the same or more as its max health, otherwise you're getting a fraction. Once you've done that you're getting the full points when the player dies no matter what.

This is because no damage dealt is ever subtracted, only added and the "total damage done" as it's called in the code isn't that at all, it's simply the max HP of the entity killed rather than the sum of all damage dealt to it.

And finally, here's the list of static base points:
    Marine: 5
    Jetpack: 10
    Exosuit: 20
    GrenadeLauncher: 2
    Shotgun: 5
    Flamethrower: 7
    Minigun: 5
    Railgun: 5
    Skulk: 5
    Gorge: 7
    Lerk: 15
    Fade: 20
    Onos: 30
    Egg: 1
    Babbler: 0
    BabblerEgg: 0
    Build: 5
    Armory: 5
    AdvancedArmory: 20
    CommandStation: 25
    Observatory: 5
    PhaseGate: 10
    RoboticsFactory: 10
    ARCRoboticsFactory: 15
    PrototypeLab: 20
    InfantryPortal: 10
    ArmsLab: 15
    SentryBattery: 2
    Hive: 25
    Drifter: 2
    MAC: 2
    Mine: 0
    Extractor: 15
    Harvester: 15
    Sentry: 2
    ARC: 5
    Shell: 10
    Crag: 10
    Whip: 10
    Spur: 10
    Shift: 10
    Veil: 10
    Shade: 10
    Hydra: 2
    Clog: 0
    Cyst: 1
    PowerPoint: 10
    TunnelEntrance: 5
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I like when I shoot a fade with 2 great shotgun shots, then 2 minutes later it dies on the other side of the map and I get 40 points for it.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    So if I'm reading this correctly, if I do a total of >=100% of a fade's health and that fade has scored >=200 points during his lifetime, I will get exactly 40 points when that fade dies no matter who kills it, and under no circumstances should I gain more than 40 points for a fade kill?

That sounds wrong, especially the 40 point cap there. I'm not 100%, but I'm fairly certain that I've scored >40 points off of a fade assist before. I'll take a screenshot if I ever see it again.

That list doesn't mention it but you should check if upgrades, eg carapace or adrenaline, count as "children" for particular life forms. Since it costs 5 res per upgrade for a fade, it only makes sense that a 55 res fully upped fade should be worth a bit more than a 40 res default fade.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I really don't get why there isn't a time out on assist points, if the alien healed up then you shouldn't get the points for it.
    Yeah, it's definitely a little weird to think that if I do damage to a Fade, I will automatically get points when it dies, even if it dies 10 minutes later somewhere else on the map... By that point whatever damage I did has been erased, and I had absolutely no effect on its death.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    sotanaht wrote: »
    So if I'm reading this correctly, if I do a total of >=100% of a fade's health and that fade has scored >=200 points during his lifetime, I will get exactly 40 points when that fade dies no matter who kills it, and under no circumstances should I gain more than 40 points for a fade kill?

That sounds wrong, especially the 40 point cap there. I'm not 100%, but I'm fairly certain that I've scored >40 points off of a fade assist before. I'll take a screenshot if I ever see it again.

That list doesn't mention it but you should check if upgrades, eg carapace or adrenaline, count as "children" for particular life forms. Since it costs 5 res per upgrade for a fade, it only makes sense that a 55 res fully upped fade should be worth a bit more than a 40 res default fade.

I said it does add points for upgrades. I only took a quick look though.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @lwf awesome, very helpful!
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    Personally I wouldn't care if they did away with the scoreboard and everything on it and put those (very small percentage overall, I know) cycles to use on performance increases.

But since I know that won't ever happen, it is neat seeing how it all breaks down. :D
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    I just want to know which rine in my group of 4 SG rines missed that fade... I saw my damage numbers, and they all claim to have hit him(bunch of liars)
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    Any reason why I've had 34 points of a fade assist kill?