Exos & Onos complete waste of res now?

joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
Has anyone else noticed that Exos & Onos are the fastest way to waste a whole bunch of res real fast? They can be somewhat useful in some situations, but generally speaking, a marine team is MUCH more effective with jetpacks with w/a upgrades + shotgun, flamer etc. Exos are gimped now, when firing the dual mini seizes up, and it overheats in exactly no time, the dual rail WAS pretty bad ass until they added a ridiculous cooldown feature that makes it almost useless when you find yourself ambushed by a couple skulks at your feet as you simply CANNOT fire quickly enough, you might get 2 or 3 shots off by the time you are dead but since your rails were not charged, the shots take 2 hits to kill each skulk so you won't be able to kill both in time. And thats if you don't miss at all. In this case you are actually better off with the single rail so you can at least punch at your feet repeatedly.

And the onos.. good lord. Without half the team supporting you at all times you are nothing but a big fat liability. A single jetpacker can take you out no problem if he has comm support. And god forbid you come around a corner and there are more than 2-3 marines looking back at you - your health will be critical in less than a second and since your khamm probably does not have charge yet there is nothing you can do except crouch down into the amazingly awesome "Invincible face" position, which of course eats up stamina and just delays the inevitable death when you try to turn and escape since the marines have reloaded during the invincible face display and closed their position on you.

The fade also seems to have taken a moderate nerf, with no upgrades it is extremely slow and easy to hit during blink, and it runs out of energy very fast. What used to score me multiple kills as a fade now ends up getting me damaged to the point I need to escape almost immediately after entering combat. It seems like no matter what I do even mediocre shooters can just track me with their LMG no problem. Granted I am not a very good fade but I could at least last more than 1 second in combat before I had to bail.

So why have they nerfed the high end life forms so badly? What was so wrong with reaping the rewards of buying a dual minigun exo, or a fully upgraded onos and just mopping the floor with the base level skulks / marines? I do not see the logic here, the game will undoubtedly always end up being Jetpackers vs fades / lerks.

Summary: Revert the exos to their previous glory, buff the onos hp / armor, and maybe increase the speed of blink. Everyone will have more fun, I promise.

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    Onos are great when used properly, but if used poorly (our of position) even for 5s, will result in a dead rhino.

I still think the only good exo is the duel minigun exo, just because it's damage is worth the risk, again, use it properly, it's not front line, it's not a tank.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Fade needed nerfing, it was OP like hell. Ono is more useful now with bone shield that I find to be both clever and useful ability (if only I could map it on my right button - ARRGH, the controls of NS2 are killing me). Also, the higher rate of attack really helps, if one marine kills you, you must be doing something wrong, because jetpacker has limited fuel, you can sprint, and you can catch most of his bullets with the shield and run him down when he reloads.

I oppose to the "pay to win" concept - just buy exo and mow down everything, it's not fun for those who stay behind, all the highest lifeforms should require support.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I haven't played a game when I can go onos or exo since Reinforced due to the number of welders I buy as marine or going gorge all the time to help out the Khamm (many green players that don't do things like this). But from what I see when I am supporting people that go Exo or Oni are this:

Exo: glass cannon to the max, if they go front line and get surrounded, it will go down really fast (was Khamm in biodome when our team surrounded 2 unsupported Exo in main hall and took them down in about 1-2 secs (1 fade, 3-4 skulks (didn't count) and 1 gorge). If they stay in the back and let the marines bait or block = insane dps (for the mini dual), and great for holding back gassing lerks and bileing gorges (rail). Don't let your Exo in the front line, they are there to support and hold a position for you.

Onos: Haven't seen a creative use of bone shield yet, but I can see imagine you get the marines to waste ammo on your bone shielded onos, and let the skulk hiding behind you come out to chomp marines while they are reloading (that's I tactic I can think of where it is useful. (Imagine if you can put a shift next to an onos to shield your crag nest :-). They can't be damaged while their health is being healed. The onos is still useful in cracking a marine position (particularly if there are sentries and pg), you really want the onos to draw fire and help take down the pg while the gorge biles.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I think Railgun exo needs a buff tho. It wasn't OP before, and now, because of dual rail, it got reduced max-load time and the slowdown while firing.

Dual rail could use a little redesign, the firing just feels massively uncomfortable and clunky. I'm sure some uber pro will wreck absolute death with it, but I can't see myself using it effectively anytime soon, if ever: Imo, I would LOVE to see dual-rail railguns have TWICE the rate of fire, but HALF the damage of a 1 rail exo. Then you would no longer need to lock the recharge of the 2nd gun, as double rail whammies would only make 1 rail exo worth of damage - but with twice the rate of fire. It would LOOK awesome, dual rail whammies all day long or 1st and 2nd gun taking turns with double rate of normal fire, PEW PEW PEW PEW!

Sure, it wouldn't make much sense that having 2 of the same gun would alter the guns properties -Oh no wait, nanites.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    I've played a lot of games with exos and onos where they are both instrumental to success. That said I agree that dual weapon exosuits aren't really worth the extra cost. I always buy single miniguns as they're more well rounded than single railguns and are much, MUCH faster than dual miniguns.
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    in history they nerfed the exos too much and the onos with boneshield is so strong like never before. the relations are completly broken now. in competetive you never see exos because they are way too expensive and to weak. there should be something done
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Boneshield certainly gives the railgun exo more of a use now- it's one of the only weapons that go through it.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited September 2013
    I haven't played a game when I can go onos or exo since Reinforced due to the number of welders I buy as marine or going gorge all the time to help out the Khamm (many green players that don't do things like this). But from what I see when I am supporting people that go Exo or Oni are this:

Exo: glass cannon to the max, if they go front line and get surrounded, it will go down really fast (was Khamm in biodome when our team surrounded 2 unsupported Exo in main hall and took them down in about 1-2 secs (1 fade, 3-4 skulks (didn't count) and 1 gorge). If they stay in the back and let the marines bait or block = insane dps (for the mini dual), and great for holding back gassing lerks and bileing gorges (rail). Don't let your Exo in the front line, they are there to support and hold a position for you.

Onos: Haven't seen a creative use of bone shield yet, but I can see imagine you get the marines to waste ammo on your bone shielded onos, and let the skulk hiding behind you come out to chomp marines while they are reloading (that's I tactic I can think of where it is useful. (Imagine if you can put a shift next to an onos to shield your crag nest :-). They can't be damaged while their health is being healed. The onos is still useful in cracking a marine position (particularly if there are sentries and pg), you really want the onos to draw fire and help take down the pg while the gorge biles.

And how long does it take to figure out not to shoot the boneshield? I see an onos duck down I'm not going to keep firing, I'm going to start reloading or maybe running. They aren't invincible like that either, if you get behind or above them you do full damage.

Also, nerfed dual rail? STOP WITH THE ******* NINJA NERFS ALREADY! If you're going to nerf something, put it in the patch notes.
  • MorshuMorshu Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155539Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You know after playing with the new stuff boneshield, exosuit changes etc. I actually get the feeling that UWE might be pretty close to being 'equals' between the onos and exo although if you're gonna be any good and I repeat ANY GOOD you really need the onos abilities otherwise it's easier enough for the marines to keep up long enough to take you out while you're making a run for it.

In addition the boneshield is a MUST against exosuits/level 3 weapons which kinda makes sense I suppose although boneshield is a 'tier 2' ability which is fine since aliens are kinda sitting with the advantage if they do get a 3rd hive up 'nd runnin' which will give you the stomp ability of course (which is friggin' awesome to watch in action as it cracks the floors in a line.

For instance here recently I've started to use boneshield to provide cover for gorges bilebombing the power node in marine bases, works like a charm although you run out of energy after chewing through all kinds of firepower (bullet based firepower) but it's awesome to just hunker down and have them gorges take cover behind ya since you essentially become a wall of bone 'nd flesh! ';..;'

Despite the boneshield I still feel as an onos you're having a hard time taking on single armed minigun exosuits unless you really get the jump on 'em, as in I feel the onos shouldn't drop dead in 5 seconds when charging into combat head-on.

Heck I've stopped using carapace this time around since you only get 200 additional armor which just cease to matter in what seems less than half a second, besides regeneration heals during combat at times don't know if that's intended or what but it's worth more than the carapace upgrade for the onos.

Note: Boneshield 'only' blocks bullet based damage, still recieves damage from grenades, railguns and flames!
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I often lead my my alien brethren to victory after saving up for a Onos with upgrades

Shouting my battlecry "Hail your Onos Overlord!"
  • Shr3dShr3d Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58265Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The advantage of playing alien is to ambush I think, even if you are playing as Onos at times. Charging down a long corridor should get you killed if you're not being covered/umbrad etc. I also play alien a lot more than marine so that's just my opinion based on that.
  • das0308das0308 Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166824Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    If possible please remove exo movement speed slowdown when firing and nerf them using an alternative method.

The constricted movement, like you're stuck in some chest high mud is not all that fun to me (and I'm assuming probably to a sizable number of other players). It feels like a soft-stun. I hate stuns, all types, and I especially hate them in FPS.

Perhaps instead of movement speed nerf a direct nerf to damage? How about increasing rail gun charge time and increasing minigun heat generation? etc...
  • Vision305Vision305 Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187724Members
    I agree, a marine with a flamethrower and jetpack is extremely more powerful than a mech. Then again, I prefer to see a limitation to the number of mechs and onos in the game as well as removing jetpacks completely. Who goes into a building with a jetpack anyway? This is fantasy child's play stuff. They should make a mode of this game for grownups. I think the range factor should be the advantage that marines have while aliens excel in melee combat. This isnt the case... not even close. It takes 4 bites to kill a marine as a skulk while it takes a couple bullets or one shotgun shell to die as a skulk. Meanwhile the marines hop around more than aliens and dont even have a stamina issue. Skulks arent even stealthy at all, even the creep makes you standout. You cannot even look around without moving your entire body thus giving you away!
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    My whole point is that the onos / dual exos do not need to be nerfed, they need to be buffed a little as the base units (marine & skulk) can take them down too easily. If you save your res for an entire round it should be almost impossible to lose that dual exo / onos in 2 seconds because you make one single mistake, round the wrong corner, etc.. The onos is a giant space cow that must run charge directly at your face , yet the stupid thing can't handle that engagement for more than a few seconds before its health is low. So you expect a Onos to ambush marines? I'm not sure if this is obvious to everyone, but the onos is horrible to try to ambush with. It can't climb walls, its huge, it shakes the ground when you move.. its a berserker unit, meant to charge into gun fire head on, but it dies too quick to accomplish that.
    And the exo is not only made of glass, but now as those rubber banding skulks dance around your feet and you fire wildly at them, you can't hit them effectively thanks to the railgun cooldown / delay fire, and the dual mini overheats so fast its a joke.

As for balance, they are somewhat balanced now, between eachother - but they are not balanced vs marines / skulks. 2-3 0 res units should have a very very hard time killing a 40-80 res unit. If not, why bother buying these expensive units if they can so easily be killed by the 0 pres units? That pres is much better spent on jetpacks, shotguns, lerks, gorges & fades.
  • VigilantiaVigilantia Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 51Members
    Well besides the 280 A3 bug I've encountered, the speed nerf kinda killed Onos/Exo relations.
    Vision305 wrote: »
    I agree, a marine with a flamethrower and jetpack is extremely more powerful than a mech. Then again, I prefer to see a limitation to the number of mechs and onos in the game as well as removing jetpacks completely. Who goes into a building with a jetpack anyway? This is fantasy child's play stuff. They should make a mode of this game for grownups. I think the range factor should be the advantage that marines have while aliens excel in melee combat. This isnt the case... not even close. It takes 4 bites to kill a marine as a skulk while it takes a couple bullets or one shotgun shell to die as a skulk. Meanwhile the marines hop around more than aliens and dont even have a stamina issue. Skulks arent even stealthy at all, even the creep makes you standout. You cannot even look around without moving your entire body thus giving you away!

Try not to go by that logic or else everything will seem weird and funky like:

Why is it when I pump 10 bullets into a skulk they're not hindered at all? How does a skulk even climb walls, the friction compared to the weight wouldn't work at all. If the commander can drop ammo and meds, why can't they drop live grenades in the alien hive? Why isn't there any friendly fire? If a hive is supported by 4 limbs, won't shooting the limbs collapse.... etc.

As for aliens vs vanilla marines... we'll see where the balance stands in a week or two. There's a LOT of rookies playing so balance is a complete mess at the moment.
  • TripleZeroTripleZero Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167764Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Despite the Railgun nerf,i really like to play as a dual railgun exo and i generally kill alot of skulks and lerks. I usually stand back behind other exos and provide fire support for them in case skulks are dancing around their feet. For reasons i cannot fathom im much better with railguns than with miniguns, i reckon its since you have to keep on the target for a longer time to kill with miniguns (also the time to wait for the minigun to spin-up is absolutely great, considering were in the far future youd think wed have miniguns that are able to start turning without firing so you can fire instantly when you need to) while i can charge my railgun and simply have to release the button in the right moment (they also seem to have quite a big AoE, im racking alot of kills while i missed the target by atleast 50 cm. )

My advice when playing exo, yell "WELD ME!" in voip.

I have to agree though that the dual railgun is not worth the extra cost. I would love to have to option to equip 1 minigun and 1 railgun.

Its more frustrating than ever when you get killed by a single skulk because youre out of support for a moment and theyre dancing around you and you have no idea where they are due to that ridicoulus FOV you have inside exos (current rubberbanding in lategame does not help) My suggestion would be to add something like peripheral dots (example arma) that shows me the rough direction of a skulk when it is very close to me.

I just find it a bad joke how a single skulk can basically wipe out an exo if he gets lucky in a matter of seconds. Another thing that amuses me greatly when i play alien is how ridicoulesly quickly an unsupported exo dies to lerk spikes.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    no, but thanks for the anecdotes.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd actually say that both the Onos and Exos are significantly more viable than they were in the previous build, and maybe ever. Onos was a joke in 251, now with boneshield and the improved stomp it actually has some value on the field. As for exos, allowing them to be beaconed and letting exo pilots eject to build stuff/weld the exo make them much less of a liability.
  • Kenshir0Kenshir0 Join Date: 2013-02-25 Member: 183347Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    rhino.

It's rather a gorilla/unicorn.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Kenshir0 wrote: »
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    rhino.

It's rather a gorilla/unicorn.

Can't argue with that.
  • Enhance89Enhance89 Join Date: 2009-11-04 Member: 69261Members
    I like all the changes, personally. The Onos is good but it has to be used right and needs support. An Onos on his own is just asking for trouble. Similarly, an exo should never be on his own, either.

Though debatable, I believe the Fade still needed a nerf. It was too powerful last go around. Even now, I'm seeing people do really well with Fade, so it's not a lost art. It just takes more skill and adaptation now.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    I'd actually say that both the Onos and Exos are significantly more viable than they were in the previous build, and maybe ever. Onos was a joke in 251, now with boneshield and the improved stomp it actually has some value on the field. As for exos, allowing them to be beaconed and letting exo pilots eject to build stuff/weld the exo make them much less of a liability.
    Yeah, that's how I feel as well. It's still very easy to get yourself killed with either if you're sloppy and get outnumbered... but if you're up against 3:1 or 5:1 or higher odds your class's resource cost shouldn't carry you to victory against sloppy play.

I still almost never use dual exos because I strongly dislike the penalty to movement speed now that they have other penalties as well, and the limited mobility of the exo is already their chief weakness so I'd rather not make it any worse than it already is.

It is kind of frustrating when you finally get your onos and then realize the commander hasn't researched the upgrade yet, as you're basically unable to engage until he does for lack of charge and/or boneshield. That's a player/team coordination mistake, though, so it's fine... just annoyingly common.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    So based on the landslide of disagrees on my first post, it would seem everyone thinks the dual exos are worth 60 res in comparison to the single exos at 40 res? I feel as though the upgrade from single to dual is not worth it at all, since the dual is really a worse suit in some ways, while better in short burst firepower they are slower and are much worse against a skulk strafe-biting at your feet. They are more of a liability due to their slower speed and increased likelihood of being taken down if left alone for 2 seconds, not to mention the extra 20 pres. Also the comm can spend that 20 tres on the next level of armor / weapons which will make the single suits more powerful.

Every time I have bought a dual in this version I end up regretting it, its much better to get singles with earlier armor / weapon upgrades. Or better still, have the whole team buy jetpacks and dominate since the new jetpack is incredibly powerful for 15 pres.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Rail gun + aim. =. Pop goes the aliens... I love my rail gun dual is ok but not needed...
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    edited September 2013
    Onos/Exos waste of time?

Not likely.

Edit: You do play in PUBS, right?
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Exos still output wtf damage, well worth it if you got a good aimer inside. Now you can even get out and weld yourself or build if you're in a safe spot.

Onos HP might be a bit on the low side. I think the onos can be better balanced by giving it some more manoeuvrability then just directly buffing its hp though.
    Charge is so crucial for escaping and since now you don't start with it and onos upgrade is the last thing researched you rarely have it.