Biodome first impressions

124»

Comments

• RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    I had some medpacks getting dropped on the outside of the glass hallway to the northeast part of main hall, is this fixable? :(
  • Brad2810Brad2810 Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184313Members
    pfft, try playing on 20fps or less :D thats what i get ALL THE TIME on EVERY MAP. XD

and i stil lmanage to play pretty well.

i would kill for your 70 fps!
  • VanesyraVanesyra Join Date: 2013-09-02 Member: 187705Members
    The geometry of Biodome is okay in most parts. One big issue in the layout is the marine starting point being only a two very long way access point. Almost all games on public end with camping marines in Reception for a far to long time until aliens manage to rush it. It's kinda boring that it takes so long time to finish a game what is won 10-20 mins before it ends.

The next thing that I personal do not like on that map is the colors used for plants (that green stuff looks like toxic waste from Half-Life 1) and the handrails (that evil looking yellow that does not fit in the map at all). Also the lightning on that maps just looks wrong (wrong colors) on almost all parts of the map. It somehow just feels broken to me, does not match the style of all the other maps in my opinion.
  • AndinagamaAndinagama Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176019Members
    Having played a few games on biodome:

1) Jetpackers (and to a lesser extent Fades) are very strong on this map because of several high ceilings and railings.
    2) The hive on the far left side of the map is highly defensible against both Arcs and Exos. Arcs have to get in close through (undoubtedly infested) narrow passages and then navigate a substantial part of the hive room itself in order to get close. Exos can only shoot at the hive from 1 angle (the West side).
    3) Glass is very clear and looks indistinguishable from air (this is known and being worked on AFAIK)
    4) The map is super pretty, great job Art Department :)
    5) The map doesn't have enough vents, which leads to...
    6) Aliens taking shortcuts through Main Hall (to defend on other side of map etc) which means that it is a strong Marine Sentry position all game through.
    7) Skulks seem very easy to spot against the textures of the walls and the brightly lit environment in general (it is very rare for skulks to sneak up to me on this map)
  • WispWisp Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63211Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I think it's a solid map with a very basic layout. It's gorgeous to look out.

I don't like it as much as Descent, however, because it has less memorable game spaces. Descent has a lot of great little arenas that play differently.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Vanesyra wrote: »
    The geometry of Biodome is okay in most parts. One big issue in the layout is the marine starting point being only a two very long way access point. Almost all games on public end with camping marines in Reception for a far to long time until aliens manage to rush it. It's kinda boring that it takes so long time to finish a game what is won 10-20 mins before it ends.

The next thing that I personal do not like on that map is the colors used for plants (that green stuff looks like toxic waste from Half-Life 1) and the handrails (that evil looking yellow that does not fit in the map at all). Also the lightning on that maps just looks wrong (wrong colors) on almost all parts of the map. It somehow just feels broken to me, does not match the style of all the other maps in my opinion.

Yeah I'm finding that aliens can get from platform all the way to seeding before marines move past seeding and basically lock the marines down before they even have the chance to spread out into main hall.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    Vanesyra wrote: »
    It does not match the style of all the other maps in my opinion.
    Veil and Tram does not match eachother, mineshaft and descent does not match eachother, refinary and summit does not match each other. They all use unique models and texture to have variety and can be appretiated by a wider audiance. if all maps looked like veil i would puke. This biodome map is the best looking by far although it would be interesting to see how a platform marine spawn vs hydropoincs alien spawn would play out. Thinking about it, the map is almost like a reversed veil (but this time in a good way)

the roof of marine spawn still looks like this unfortunatly:
    CUcAVNP.jpg
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Falls? More like FAILS.

Nah, I actually get the game change. Just couldn't resist the urge to show off my extremely clever wordplay
  • G_of_the_JG_of_the_J Join Date: 2013-08-12 Member: 186764Members
    You can get stuck in a hole, left from marine start. Right from ramp that leads rt point. Sorry, cant remember name of place, so new map.

http://i.imgur.com/cxM6sX6.jpg
    cxM6sX6.jpg
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    The map looks great there's no doubt about that. However it just doesn't seem very well balanced to me. I've yet to see Marines start anywhere other than Reception, which makes Seeding and Canopy the two rooms to control if Aliens want to win.

In a way it's sort of similar to Veil, except that Canopy and Seeding are MUCH easier for Aliens to take and defend than Skylights and Topographical are.
    edited September 2013
    G_of_the_J wrote: »
    You can get stuck in a hole, left from marine start. Right from ramp that leads rt point. Sorry, cant remember name of place, so new map.

http://i.imgur.com/cxM6sX6.jpg
    cxM6sX6.jpg

Nice spot the place is called Gallery it says so above the minimap in the top left corner usually :) but yeah some "clippings" here and there are really over the top, and like in this case even missing. on canopy there is a platform that is like 20 cm high yet you get stuck like it was a complete dead end in the middle of the open, and if you try walk it up straight (not from sides) its like a high ramp so you walk in midair 90% of the time until on top of an actual panel. Its where all the rolling gravity simulated plants are, facing the big wall. try if its not fixed