Automated Server Messages while playing, howto? [Linux]

elysiumelysium Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187516Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited September 2013 in Server Discussion
Hi Communtiy

I'm asking me, how can I setup automated server-messages?
Example: Every 30 Minutes server says: "This server is sponsored by XYZ" , or "This Server runs on CPU XYZ", if possible with some nice color of course *smile

linux dedicated server version

greetings elysium

Comments

• SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    I believe shine admin has that functionality built in and is quite customisable.
  • MaxunitMaxunit Join Date: 2005-02-01 Member: 39414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Shine Admin does not have such a function to repeat a message every X Seconds or X Minutes (at least I am not aware of it). Something like a small LUA script, which calls "sh_say"/!say or "sh_csay"/!csay could do it. Those functions are included in Shine Admin.

sh_say sends a message to every player in the Chat box, sh_csay sends a message to every player at the top centre of the screen.

!say and !csay are the chat commands for those functions, if you are ingame and want to use them yourself.

More information here: https://github.com/Person8880/Shine/wiki/Base-Commands
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    I've got a cron script running for this, from an earlier post of mine:
    Zaggy wrote: »
    Sticky for great justice!

Edit:

How I set it up on my Ubuntu server:

crontab -e

*/10 * * * * /home/username/ns2server/motd.sh

File /home/username/ns2server/motd.sh with contents:
    #!/bin/bash
    /usr/bin/curl --digest "http://username:password@hostname:port/?request=json&command=Send&rcon=sv_say Admin contact: zaggynl in #naturalselection at irc.gamesurge.net" --max-time 3 --connect-timeout 3 -silent -o /dev/null

Don't forget to give execute permission on motd.sh with chmod +x /home/username/ns2server/motd.sh

Explanation: every 10 minutes it will say: "Admin contact: zaggynl on #naturalselection at irc.gamesurge.net"

Use http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/dencoder/ to encode the part after rv_say%20 to URL notation, otherwise the message will not display correctly.

Edit: added chmod part.

• Person8880Person8880 Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177167Members, Squad Five Blue
    Maxunit wrote: »
    Shine Admin does not have such a function to repeat a message every X Seconds or X Minutes (at least I am not aware of it).
    Of course it does, see the adverts plugin.
  • MaxunitMaxunit Join Date: 2005-02-01 Member: 39414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Person8880 wrote: »
    Maxunit wrote: »
    Shine Admin does not have such a function to repeat a message every X Seconds or X Minutes (at least I am not aware of it).
    Of course it does, see the adverts plugin.

Oh, thank you for the headsup. I totally missed that one :/