The NS2 Minimap / Gameplay Thoughts

blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
edited September 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Anyone else thinks the minimap needs some rework? Everytime I command the objects on the map seem very small and it's hard to tell where RT spots or marines/aliens on the maps are - in NS1 i was commanding for a long time and never had this issue because everything was clear, big enough and outlined. Also if i not completely missed something there is no indicator for infestation drawn on the map right (alien com)? Makes it hard to tell where I spread it on the map.

Other thoughts:

- Leap seems pretty weak, almost like a normal jump
- Gorge Menu overlaps and pretty annoying to use
- Even with Raw Input activated, the movement is spongy
- Regeneration weaker now?
- No more hivesight for aliens? (Objects being attacked glow red through walls, Hives visible through walls) - I mean you can see teammates already why not hives and things being attacked? Would greatly help teamplaying and coordination

Dont get me wrong here, i think ns2 definitely improved in the last months, just want to know if these are known issues.

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I would like to be able to see whether a RT is built or not on the map. Happened to me often enough that a random RT right next to our base wasn't built - the minimap didn't tell me.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited September 2013
    Infestation is drawn on the map with little slightly transparent green circles. Are you only looking at the minimap and never using the map key? Default bind is either C or M (this has changed too many times for me to remember what it is anymore). They don't always stand out as they're made to not cover up the other stuff so I can see how they might be difficult to see depending on your display settings and especially if you're relying solely on the minimap. Of course, if you're SURE you can't see them and I'm just being a big silly doofus by asking all this other stuff then please get a screenshot so I can check it out/submit a bug report. :)

As for leap - you want to use the high instant acceleration to raise your speed and then bunnyhop/walljump to maintain that speed (generally - you can use it to maneuver as well). Learning to gain speed through jumping is core to skulk play. Walljumping is more like, well, "butt-jumping" seems to be the term that caught on. You just sort of glance the wall and hop away at a fairly shallow angle. Other people far better at this game than I have posted videos demonstrating it that you can check out.

Toggling raw input and acceleration both on and then off again fixes that issue for most users. Also try fiddling with display mode (windowed, fullscreen windowed, etc.), applying the changes each time. The changes to how the engine handles input and output seems to have disjointed the actual settings from the options menu in a lot of cases; this seems to be the best simplest workaround and it seems to correct the mouse issues for the majority of those with the issue (although not all).

Not sure I follow you on the rest of the stuff (gorge menu, regen, hivesight).
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    "Buttjumping" was a specific term referring to the buggy superfast walljumping that you could do in earlier builds, I tend to think of good walljumping as being like a stone skimming across a pond :p
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I tend to think of good walljumping as being like a stone skimming across a pond :p

And I tend to think of good walljumping as Michael J Fox.