Massive FPS loss, and Weird Mouse Movement

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Apparently DX11 doesn't work with 2 cards, tried DX9?
  • NazrudinNazrudin Join Date: 2009-09-17 Member: 68811Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    I tried DX11, DX9 and OpenGL, all of them I have the same FPS, only difference is the input lag is different on each, more and less.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    After aero disabling, try swapping back and forth between full screen and Windowed. As well as toggling mouse acceleration on and then off, and raw input off and then on.
    Finally, ensure to jack that FOV up in your options... It unfortunately defaulted to the lowest setting this patch, giving the feeling of being slow and floaty.
  • NazrudinNazrudin Join Date: 2009-09-17 Member: 68811Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    I'II try it out

EDIT: After doing what you said IronHorse I have the same FPS and input lag still.

Only that seemed to work was to disable Aero but I had already done that before.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Be sure you are actually toggling between screen modes.. Just clicking the button doesn't work half the time, it requires some finagling. (part of the issue I believe)
    edited September 2013
    I made sure they were switching, after each change I made tabbed out of my game to make sure it's window/not windowed. But I'II do some more testing.

EDIT: Good news, this time I disabled aero entirely, switch to classic and after booting the game, toggling mouse acceleration and raw input and swapping between all the screen modes several times untill you end with fullscreen mode most of the input lag seems to be gone, I can still feel some but it's a huge improvement from what it was before. However my FPS remains unchanged (50-65)

I also tried some quick traing with the bots and in combat the FPS remained unchanged and input lag was barely noticable. I believe the culprit is aero, rather then to click NS2.exe and change the options there, disabling aero from your desktop seems like the best solution.

Also, I have to do this everytime I get a loading screen, i.e connect to a server, map change and so on. (toggling mouse acceleration and raw input and switching screen modes)
    Also, it seems that vsync is broken somehow, with vsync off I get about 55-60fps with tripple on I get above 60 fps and that's weird, it should cap at 60, in short.. setting vsync to tripple give me more fps, about 5-7 frames and actually, less input lag.
  • XeperwocKyXeperwocKy Join Date: 2013-08-03 Member: 186548Members
    Any ETA on a hotfix for this mess?
  • KernKern Join Date: 2013-06-27 Member: 185731Members
    Same here and cant play, waiting for a fix or something :/
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    Well, you can't really release a patch during PAX. And for other reasons.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited September 2013
    phoenixbbs wrote: »
    The input lag and microstuttering is apparently caused - at least in part - by using aero in windows - windows doesn't allow the game to automatically use the resources properly, even if it's full screen. The workaround is to find the executable and "disable desktop composition" in it's file properties here;

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\NS2.exe

Thanks to Samusdroid (Orphan Black) for picking up on this ! :-)

Yup, this fix is the best one so far. B-)
  • Visor1Visor1 Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140300Members
    Neoken wrote: »
    The input lag and microstuttering is apparently caused - at least in part - by using aero in windows - windows doesn't allow the game to automatically use the resources properly, even if it's full screen. The workaround is to find the executable and "disable desktop composition" in it's file properties here;

Yup, this fix is the best one so far. B-)

For some reason this fixed the input lag but not the microstuttering :'(
    Just as I suspected, crossfire not enabled.

iwp5s4.jpg
  • sushifxsushifx Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183637Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    almost back to normal for me on the mouse side.
    thre is still some sort of network issues das causes some rubberbanding here and there and minor lag spikes
  • XeperwocKyXeperwocKy Join Date: 2013-08-03 Member: 186548Members
    Should I be played with DX9? I have a GTX465. The FPS loss has been pretty massive even with everything on low.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Play on whatever is better, if both give good fps but DX11 gives less, use DX11 though.
  • niitzeniitze Join Date: 2013-07-01 Member: 185839Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I wonder how long I still have to wait until I can play ns2 again.
  • SkulkittoMeSkulkittoMe Join Date: 2013-05-04 Member: 185115Members
    SynVisions wrote: »
    I've tried everything in this thread to no avail. Guess it's time to shelve NS2 until they fix the issues. :(

Also what the heck happened to skulk movement? It feels super sluggish and floaty now.

So floaty. HATE IT! I'm hoping that it wasn't an intentional result to their physic tweaking and that a future update will add some weight to their movement.
  • LtJunoLtJuno Join Date: 2011-07-08 Member: 109043Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's infuriating and makes the game unplayable for me.
    Feels like my mouse random gets unplugged and stops responding.
    If you feel floaty, (not referring to mouse input) double check your fov slider in the options, as it was changed to the lowest possible setting by default when the new renderer was put in.
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    IronHorse wrote: »
    If you feel floaty, (not referring to mouse input) double check your fov slider in the options, as it was changed to the lowest possible setting by default when the new renderer was put in.

i dont understand this slider at all. there are not even numbers on the FOV slider which makes this option pretty useless. At least for me..

• _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow

i dont understand this slider at all. there are not even numbers on the FOV slider which makes this option pretty useless. At least for me..

That's because different lifeforms have different FOVs enforced. You just change the "multiplicator".
    For example skulk has a higher FOV than a marine.
  • javey93javey93 Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186630Members

Hopefully this will fix it for me - Will try it tonight once I get home, then I might think about donating to Reinforced.
    I have an 8200dpi mouse (I know it's not the highest, but I'm just proving a point) and I knew I wasn't alone when I launched the game the other day. Luckily it's free weekend, so still went 45-2 on bad aim ;)
    Did anyone else have issues with differing sensitivity between Menu's and In-game? It doesn't seem so bad, because the menu is hardly used in NS2, but in actual fact it changed my armory/evolution menu sensitivity too. I had to keep using my DPI buttons to switch between them - very annoying.

8200dpi??? You surf your desktop how?
  • EastwoodEastwood BAVARIA Join Date: 2013-02-06 Member: 182861Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks! The shortcut kinda worked for me, but trying to track lerks for example still feels weird.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    Can someone advise me please, what does "disable desktop composition" actually do? Does it mess up your windows settings / desktop / aero?
    It turns off aero while the program is open, then it'll turn it back on when it closes.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    Thanks a lot, will try this out.
  • skat0rskat0r Join Date: 2011-04-10 Member: 92245Members
    edited September 2013
    I have the same problem, lowered everything I have around 50-60 fps and my ping is around 30, but the game seems to be still lagging and choppy. The game was running perfectly before this patch.

*Edit : Used this fix http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131701/microstuttering-input-delay-fixes-to-try#latest
    Now game runs perfectly even with high settings.
  • ArgishArgish Join Date: 2013-09-02 Member: 187683Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    current1y wrote: »
    Any one experiencing mouse lag may want to check out this thread. - http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131701/microstuttering-input-delay-fixes-to-try#latest

Thank you very much for this ! I have fixed it in my PC
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    After aero disabling, try swapping back and forth between full screen and Windowed. As well as toggling mouse acceleration on and then off, and raw input off and then on.
    Finally, ensure to jack that FOV up in your options... It unfortunately defaulted to the lowest setting this patch, giving the feeling of being slow and floaty.

I didn't have my FOV go back to default, sounds like this only occured to some (or maybe just you?)