Should Gorges have the ability to drop a hive and harvester?

MangoMango Join Date: 2012-10-11 Member: 162061Members
I remember back in the days of ns1 when aliens was down to 1 skulk left and everyone else was dead. It's been awhile but I believed he turned to a gorge and was able to place a hive at any area of the map. What was great was that last gorge pretty much saved the aliens from being extinct and once that hive was up everyone else re-spawned. We came back fighting hard but ended up losing that game. The point it was actually fun even though we still lost we still had a great time. Is NS-2 ever going to allow this to happen or is it just a comm only thing now? And, should gorges have the ability like they did in NS-1 to drop harvesters and hives to help the alien comm to focus on other things? In NS-1 it was actually kinda fun to have the last skulk to be able to build a hive and give it one last college try in turning the game around. If this is not possible can we at least have a MOD that allows this maybe it can be like NS-1 all over again with no limitation on where the hive can be dropped. This a alien post, pls keep the "what about marines?" post to a minimum.

Comments

• Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    What would the alien commander have to focus on if not dropping harvesters and the like? Though I miss ns1, it's gone and the Kharmm is here to stay. Sorry, but no this will never happen unless some one creates a ns1 mod for ns2. There is one out there currently, but I haven't played it so I can't say if its just like the old days or not. I think it's call nsclasic or something like that.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The topic title should say, "Should this game be NS1:HD?"
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gorges (and only them) should drop cysts.
    • Cyst-placing is a boring task for the kham (even with the new system), it wouldn't be bad if he loses it.
    • For the gorge it could be fun, because he can try to hide them on ceilings, walls etc.
    • Forcing teamplay and gorges without tedious "look at building someone else placed and hold mouse 2"
    • Makes the alien more vulnerable in the strategy part (macro) without changing the FPS-balance. -> good for balance
    • Makes gorges important again.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    I think this would invite troll-gorges.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    While the concept of the last surviving alien being able to build a hive and bring back the alien team back to the game sounds exciting, just imagine how it would look in practical play.

The marines kill the last hive, but the game does not end. The aliens get no res, while the marines still stockpile them at an astronomic rate. The first thing marine comm would do would be to send players to all techpoints, maybe would build turrets on each techpoint, together with obs, etc. Even when low on res, even sending a single MAC to each tech point would suffice, because the alien would have to kill it first, giving away its position.

What would follow? The surviving alien(s) would realize they have no chance to drop the base with all the turrets in place and marines and exos patrolling, and would stay hidden in vents forever. The marines would then have to comb every vent and dark cranny to find and kill those survivors. Sounds like a total waste of time to me, expecially for all those dead alien players.

I understand that NS1 maps were much larger, with more possibilities to hide, sneak, etc. But now, with jetpacks and phase gates, marines can respond within seconds, so the chance of placing, let alone maturing a new hive in said condition is pretty negligible.
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    Why not allow a gorge to build a hive ? I'm not saying only gorges, but gorge AND kham. I think allowing it wouldn't hurt. The player would need to bank a lot of res... And it kind-of reflects the comm ability to buy its players weapons (the mirror gameplay was an argument for the gorge tunnel appearance iirc).

But allowing to build a hive would mean afterwards (I feel) to allow simple buildings (i.e. cloak tower); and I don't see it as being dangerous for NS2 gameplay, as it would need a great waste of personal res. On the opposite I feel it could multiply the possibilities of a game, while being far from disastrous.

edit : and I don't see building a hive right when the last hive is killed a problem; the kham can already do this; plus map are small (according to the guy above); so less time to waste....
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would like if a gorge can build cyst. And crag if a crag hive is up, a shift if a shift hive is up and a shade if a shade hive is up.
    About dropping hive's and harvesters, i liked this in ns1 but there was no alien commander then. Doing it now will save pres into tres and i'm not sure if that's a good thing for balance. This could mean very fast upgrades and map control.
  • ArgishArgish Join Date: 2013-09-02 Member: 187683Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    RedSword wrote: »
    Why not allow a gorge to build a hive ? I'm not saying only gorges, but gorge AND kham. I think allowing it wouldn't hurt. The player would need to bank a lot of res... And it kind-of reflects the comm ability to buy its players weapons (the mirror gameplay was an argument for the gorge tunnel appearance iirc).

But allowing to build a hive would mean afterwards (I feel) to allow simple buildings (i.e. cloak tower); and I don't see it as being dangerous for NS2 gameplay, as it would need a great waste of personal res. On the opposite I feel it could multiply the possibilities of a game, while being far from disastrous.

edit : and I don't see building a hive right when the last hive is killed a problem; the kham can already do this; plus map are small (according to the guy above); so less time to waste....

As far as I know in ns1 you could build a hive with a gorge even when alien team was almost killed and with no hives on the map, but you couldn't stay on that situation too much longer. Can't remember how many seconds it was, but each X seconds you lost some life points. You could heal yourself as a gorge with the defense chamber and place another hive, but it was not and it will not be in the way you are telling.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    edited September 2013
    If comm drops hive at the last second, a lone gorge could build it.... Ns2 maps are smaller though so don't expect it to take as long to find you....

@Argish. Totally forgot about losing health after all hives died.... Oh good times.... Hiding in a vent with regen and a DC waiting for 2 more res....
  • ArgoshArgosh Join Date: 2011-01-21 Member: 78474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Argish wrote: »
    As far as I know in ns1 you could build a hive with a gorge even when alien team was almost killed and with no hives on the map, but you couldn't stay on that situation too much longer. Can't remember how many seconds it was, but each X seconds you lost some life points. You could heal yourself as a gorge with the defense chamber and place another hive, but it was not and it will not be in the way you are telling.

It's true. Ns1 games ended when all players were dead not all hives killed. Sometimes I wish it was that way in ns2. A lot of wasted time looking for the last guy hiding but some moments were just golden.

P.S. Are you my long lost brother?
  • EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Isn't the NS:classic mod pretty much NS2 turned back into NS1? Dunno if it's still up 'n' running tho
  • VettoVetto Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187267Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Should Marines be allowed to drop Generators and extractors? No... they should not.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think the balance test should remove the khammamder and give the gorge back ho's buildings, it won't go into the game but I want to know how that works out
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    Gorges (and only them) should drop cysts.
    • Cyst-placing is a boring task for the kham (even with the new system), it wouldn't be bad if he loses it.
    • For the gorge it could be fun, because he can try to hide them on ceilings, walls etc.
    • Forcing teamplay and gorges without tedious "look at building someone else placed and hold mouse 2"
    • Makes the alien more vulnerable in the strategy part (macro) without changing the FPS-balance. -> good for balance
    • Makes gorges important again.

And making the kham entirely dependent on gorges to do anything sounds like a better situation to you? I would love for gorges to have some kind of minicyst ability to place a cyst somewhere the kham can't, although that's starting to sound similar to contaminate, but the kham absolutely needs to be able to place cysts given the current building system.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mango wrote: »
    I remember back in the days of ns1
    No offense man, but I had to stop reading after that. Alien commander is here to stay from the looks of things.

Giving Gorges those types of responsibilities again will just require another type of rebalancing where whoever goes Gorge has to have a lot of res or some crap, cuz there's no way in hell I'll play in a team where half the team has to go gorge and spend tres to build upgrade structures and then have no res in time for late-game lifeforms.

That was my biggest gripe of NS1 because no one had res for Fade except 1-2 people...

o_o

maybe that will solve the Fade explosion....?

No. NO. Alien commander is h-here to stay...

.....o-ok?
  • ArgishArgish Join Date: 2013-09-02 Member: 187683Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Argosh wrote: »
    Argish wrote: »

It's true. Ns1 games ended when all players were dead not all hives killed. Sometimes I wish it was that way in ns2. A lot of wasted time looking for the last guy hiding but some moments were just golden.

P.S. Are you my long lost brother?

Oh yes, that moments were magic. Also as a marine building a bunker in base when the round was lost, to suppress as many alien attacks as possible. Well we can still do that on ns2 apart from the stupid and awful option called ' concede '

Who had that idea? He should be fired !!!

I didn't catch you at first but then I look at your nickname and I must say I laughed.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Behold all these narrowminded newbies! They have no conception of gorge's great heritage and think that the gorge has only ever been the pathetic tool he is now!
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    my gorge says yes.
    my kham says no.

It simply will never work with the kham in place. The kham isnt going away, so nope.
  • RenohRenoh Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165298Members
    Gorges should be able to place cysts one at a time for 1 pres each.
    I can't tell you the number of times I've had to sit by a disconnected harvester and heal it until the kham listens to me and recysts.
    Allow gorges to place cysts would allow more strategic cysting, in a nutshell.

I'm also for the gorge being able to place shifts, crags, and shades (but not whips). Not sure if it would be pres drop, but it would allow for better support structure placement.

However, I don't think that gorges should be able to drop hives simply because of the potential for trolls and new players to waste tres dropping a hive in an unsafe location. The alternative to gorges dropping tres hives is worse; a pres hive drop would unbalance the game too much in terms of alien expansion.

• NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited September 2013
    Renoh wrote: »
    Gorges should be able to place cysts one at a time for 1 pres each.
    I can't tell you the number of times I've had to sit by a disconnected harvester and heal it until the kham listens to me and recysts.
    Allow gorges to place cysts would allow more strategic cysting, in a nutshell.

Gorges dropping cysts to help patch a severed chain isn't a terrible idea actually, although detecting whether it's in a valid spot within range of another cyst might be wonky. Anything more than that does marginalize the khammander too much. It's a fast way to drain the already rather taxed gorge pres, too, so that's something to consider.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    @Renoh Players should not have access to Tres... We'd end up with half a dozen crag/shifts/whips and comm wouldn't be able to do a damn thing...

Now I'm all for gorge structures out of pres... Mini-shade and the like, small enough to fit in a vent but limited compared to full structures...

If your against building in cents then how about bringing back sticky chambers!
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    @Renoh Players should not have access to Tres... We'd end up with half a dozen crag/shifts/whips and comm wouldn't be able to do a damn thing...

Now I'm all for gorge structures out of pres... Mini-shade and the like, small enough to fit in a vent but limited compared to full structures...

I think that pres would be the way to go as well. It would be hard to gather all the pres necessary for a full support structure, but the high price would prevent spam and make gorges think a little bit before barfing out structures everywhere.

Also, I'm completely against the idea of gorges being able to place whips. Blegh!
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    Renoh wrote: »
    maD_maX_ wrote: »

I think that pres would be the way to go as well. It would be hard to gather all the pres necessary for a full support structure, but the high price would prevent spam and make gorges think a little bit before barfing out structures everywhere.

Also, I'm completely against the idea of gorges being able to place whips. Blegh!

You could probably reduce the cost and only leave the effects supplied by the structures (Crags only heal, Shades only cloak, etc...). That way it doesn't impinge on the Khammander and reduces the cost for the structure.
  • RumseyRumsey Join Date: 2013-01-21 Member: 181012Members
    Gorges have more than enough to do already. Half of them don't even drop tunnels when they should. No reason to take stuff away from the Khamm and give it to the Gorge.
    Rumsey wrote: »
    Gorges have more than enough to do already. Half of them don't even drop tunnels when they should. No reason to take stuff away from the Khamm and give it to the Gorge.

It wouldn't be solely the gorge's ability to drop support structs. Khams would still have the ability to drop/manage full structures.

@MMZ_Torak I like the idea of the single purpose structs that only do the basic functions (no research, specials, etc) for gorges.

• cpt000cpt000 Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187152Members
    If the last hive is under attack and the gorge has to drop another hive, then the game is lost already. No way to come back from a single hive, unless 90% of the marines players decide to quit.