Gorge Webs

SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited September 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
I'm having a blast with the web's for the gorge! I had some cool moments yesterday where I successfully lured marines into my traps.
I found the best usage to be placing a line of clogs on the floor, some webs behind it, and some hydra's on the ceiling. This way marines jump over your clogs, get stuck and die!

Also spamming web's behind you while running away from marines works like a charm!

Do you guys (and after the last build also girls) found any other awesome ways to use webs? Share them here! :)
Any ideas about the current implementation of the webs? Also share them here!

Comments

• SnXSnX Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180145Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Pics or it didn't happen! :)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Also, did the demographics change drastically last build?
    Sammey wrote: »
    Do you guys (and after the last build also girls) found any other awesome ways to use webs? Share them here! :)

:)

• Scorpion9908Scorpion9908 Australia Join Date: 2013-07-29 Member: 186445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    i never see gorge webs to high on the techtree :'(
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Haha yea you need to be lucky atm. to get a game where you can get web's :D
  • KattcattisKattcattis Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182683Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, my personal opinion is that gorge webs comes way to late.
    I am no big fan of the new upgrading with the aliens, and haven't been comfortable with playing gorge this build :(
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    I love playing Gorge, but the lifeform has it's issues right now, one of them being webs coming in very late.
    By the time I get to use them (had a couple of rounds), they hardly play a role anymore, as Aliens are dominating the map.

The other issue is gorge-tunnels not connecting or showing up, but as I understand that's being worked on.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    my problem is that aliens usually win by the time webs unlock, but the one time I was able to use them was really fun!
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Support for mid-game Webs! When Jetpackers run rampant, make every sticky webbing count!
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Omega_K2 I would say slightly later around the same time you start to see JPs and Exos. Maybe biomas 5 or 6?

I also wish they were free to use.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kalopsia wrote: »
    @Omega_K2 I would say slightly later around the same time you start to see JPs and Exos. Maybe biomas 5 or 6?

I also wish they were free to use.

Exos and JPs are pretty much endgame. You'd usually want armor 2/weapons 2 before getting them, plus you need the AA and proto. Usually you'll have phasegates too

Problem is right now it's hard to judge the usefulness of webs because you almost never get to use them, I feel like biomass 5-6 is still rather late, because it seems it's currently most viable to get other stuff like spurs and shells first, then proceed to upgrade the biomass.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Webs should be biomass 5 or 6, depending on how powerful they turn out to be.

Biomass 4 is leap, and that's too early to have a powerful tool like web, especially since khamm will always get it as soon as 2nd hive is up.

Biomass 5+6 are usually researched from 2 hives, so that Lerks can have spores. Any further would be 3 hives, and by then it's too late for webs since aliens are already rolling.

I guess 6 would be fitting, since it only has spores right now.

It's a bummer so many abilities are tied to 7+ biomass levels.

http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Biomass
  • DimeinurearDimeinurear Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72955Members
    Do webs not have an activation time like they had in NS1? I noticed a guy could essentially stunlock me with webs, which wasn't possible in NS1 for balance reasons.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    I agree that Biomass 6 sounds good.

Also, they should be free, but have a delay so you can't spam them (like you once could with clogs :D). To compensate, the maximum number could be reduced... 5, maybe?
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    I think it's crazy for webs to be so far up on the biomass tree. Here are the two situations that always happen.

1. Gorges finally get webs. However, by this time the marines either have enough res income, or stockpiled, that they can all purchase grenades (which are stupidly cheap, but that's another topic) that render webs useless. By this time marines should have advanced weaponry and jetpacks, which further limits the use of webs to the occasional successful use.

2. Marines are being steamrolled. They don't have res for grenades, jetpacks or advanced weaponry. Sounds great for the gorge, right? Except for the fact that by the time they get Webs finally unlocked, the game is either over or about to be over within minutes.

I love the idea of webs, really do. I believe if webs were to be moved to biomass 4 or even possibly 5, they would actually end up being viable in play. I don't play nor watch the NS2 competitive scene, but I can't imagine a situation where aliens have three hives and haven't won, or do have 3 hives and a gorge.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    Why not tweak 1 step by 1 step?
    First try out how biomass6 plays out, nothing else changed.
    Then introduce any next tweak based on these new outcomes....if needed at all.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Paajtor wrote: »
    Why not tweak 1 step by 1 step?
    First try out how biomass6 plays out, nothing else changed.
    Then introduce any next tweak based on these new outcomes....if needed at all.

Pfft, you and your hair brained ideas. It is more effective to change everything and then try to figure out what caused the imbalance.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    *Webs & Gorge Webs threads merged*
  • AsmodiesAsmodies Join Date: 2004-06-17 Member: 29353Members
    Really wish we could get a dev to speak up on what they were actually thinking with this web inclusion. Web come out later than NS1, costs res, and rines have many more ways to get rid of them in NS2 than 1. So basically web is worse in 3-4 ways and better in absolutely 0. We still don't have a shotgun + JP counter since the fade nerf, and because of that I'd argue that webs need to be free with a limit of 5 and unlocked on biomass 5.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I just want placing them to have more visible feedback in game, like with a real time line or something. I only realized how important this was after watching over the shoulders of many many players trying to Web for the first time at the pax booth.
    Another side effect of this was your starting Web location can simply disappear under the infestation.. Losing track of it completely if not careful.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Mouse wrote: »
    *Webs & Gorge Webs threads merged*

I guess you could say...

Can't believe I'm doing this...

*AHEM* You've glued them together! B-)
  • TheDRTheDR Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181820Members
    "I ask for upgrades to help the marine team stick together and this is what you give me?!"

I've used the webs a couple of times but I have to agree with the majority. They come into play far too late to be of any real use.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Yeah, biomass 6 would probably be better.
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Agreed.

But just to ponder on; what if the webs are available straight from the start? Still costing res ofcourse. Will they be horribly overpowered?
    They could stop a marine rush at the start of the game. ( Noone really likes 2 minute games right? )
    edited September 2013
    i can remember one time in recent memory I have seen another gorge use webs. they're a good idea, but I would really like to know what was going through the developers head when he put it on biomass 7 or 8, whichever it is.

edit: they would be fine on biomass 4, possibly 5. if the game is balanced, by then i'm sure the marines will have a advanced armory and the capability to counter webs.
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Sammey wrote: »
    Agreed.

But just to ponder on; what if the webs are available straight from the start? Still costing res ofcourse. Will they be horribly overpowered?
    They could stop a marine rush at the start of the game. ( Noone really likes 2 minute games right? )

I'm part of the camp that's never seen them as a marine, and used them once as a gorge, but can welders still cut webs like in NS1? If so, then maintaining their res cost and removing biomass requirement wouldn't be overpowered at all I think. Marines would still have a counter to them from game start, and hey, they shouldn't be running alone without a welder anyway should they ;)

Edit: Thought that this could make gorge rush pretty OP at game start (webbed IP's, no chance to get welders) so make them biomass 2 requirement to prevent first few minute gorge rushes. By that time marines should be established enough to see that coming.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    These things should not be weapon slot 2 -> 5. That build menu is cumbersome, obese, and requires way more keypresses than should be necessary.

Slap webs on weapon slot 4 please.