Hitting a marine became waaay harder

SjNSjN Join Date: 2003-01-07 Member: 11983Members, Reinforced - Supporter
I am surprised that no one started a thread about this as everyone I spoke to agreed that it became much harder to hit a marine. I am not entirely sure what changed that made it so frustrating to fight a marine, but something definitely did change. I can literately jump around as a marine for 30 seconds and have 4 skulks chase me and try to kill me. And it's actually fun, but not that fun when you're the one trying to hit the marine.

Either the marine's can move side to side faster, or the hitbox became smaller or bugged, I don't know what it is, but I decided I need to bring attention to this issue as it's frustrating as hell.

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    ^Yes. Alien Vision has made it harder to track marines too.

Also has skulk movement changed? Skulks seem to stick to stuff more this build. Maybe it's just the input lag idk.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    it has nothing to do with strafe jump

the hit detection is broken as ****
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    i agree it has changed, however i'm in the camp of people who think that marines SHOULD be able to matador 'fail skulks'...

marine mobility is still highly limited against skulks, the wacky jumping buys them a few more seconds. without the wacky jumping and if you're commander is too unskilled to manage medpacks; marine would be thoroughly unenjoyable to play.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    to sum up, they broke so much stuff with the newest patch that they had another patch within 24 hours and a hotfix soon after that. yes it's hardwe to hit marines, no your not crazy, but it's a bit difficult which of the many factors it could be until we start to actually get the game to a playable state.
    amoral wrote: »
    to sum up, they broke so much stuff with the newest patch that they had another patch within 24 hours and a hotfix soon after that. yes it's hardwe to hit marines, no your not crazy, but it's a bit difficult which of the many factors it could be until we start to actually get the game to a playable state.

how dare they...

how dare they release a free patch to get >10k concurrent players playing instead of 300... it's almost like they're doing it to make money! what kind of business...
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @tarquinbb problem is how many of these free weekenders are going to buy the game after they play it and find all these bugs and performance issues that need fixing... If they wanted to make money as you claim a better idea would be to wait to release these semi broken patches until after the free/sale weekend. I agree with you though, what kind of business gives a broken patch that needs hot fixes a day before the free/sale weekend begins... We regulars appreciate the "free" updates but this was a bad business decision which I hate had to happen to my favorite development company.
    tarquinbb wrote: »

how dare they...

how dare they release a free patch to get >10k concurrent players playing instead of 300... it's almost like they're doing it to make money! what kind of business...

I don't think the patch is responsible for the concurrent player counts. and a messy release isn't as likely to retain paying customers.
    edited September 2013

how dare they...

I don't think the patch is responsible for the concurrent player counts. and a messy release isn't as likely to retain paying customers.

i don't know what you're talking about... where's the evidence to support that claim?

new players will be so excited by the game, the vast majority won't care about technical hiccups. cast your mind back to official release and the incredibly 'shaky' performance issues, glitches and unbelievable lack of features. did it stop people from buying the game and having fun? i rest my case.

the game is miles better now than at release. every one of the ~24 updates since release has improved the game.

i got stuck in the menu the other day and was forced to quit. but anyone with a brain knows that's going to be fixed in a few days, so unless you're scheduled for euthanasia, on death row or set to terminally expire in the allotted time, then you can look past these superficial problems.
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow

how dare they...

i don't know what you're talking about... where's the evidence to support that claim?

new players will be so excited by the game, the vast majority won't care about technical hiccups. cast your mind back to official release and the incredibly 'shaky' performance issues, glitches and unbelievable lack of features. did it stop people from buying the game and having fun? i rest my case.

the game is miles better now than at release. every one of the ~24 updates since release has improved the game.

i got stuck in the menu the other day and was forced to quit. but anyone with a brain knows that's going to be fixed in a few days, so unless you're scheduled for euthanasia, on death row or set to terminally expire in the allotted time, then you can look past these superficial problems.

People bought the game on release without have the option to play for free before hand... Most people will see these issues in the free gameplay and say not worth the money for a game that plays like this. Now I fully believe these issues will be fixed but not in time to save the free weekenders first impression. Sad but true, this probably will not be as much as a gain as ns2 needs
    edited September 2013
    biz wrote: »

how dare they...

http://steamcharts.com/app/4920#All

notice how every spike is basically tied to free weekends or massive sales
    new players will be so excited by the game, the vast majority won't care about technical hiccups.

except the ones who actually play FPS games... aka "target audience"
    cast your mind back to official release and the incredibly 'shaky' performance issues, glitches and unbelievable lack of features. did it stop people from buying the game and having fun?

yes

oh, that must be why they sold 0 units of ns2 then...

also, the steamcharts is irrelevant... unless you can name a game which has 100% play retention. my point that the 'REINFORCED' update will be far more successful at retaining players (and motivating inactive players to be more active) than a 'smooth' free weekend/sale (without the odd soon-to-be-fixed glitch).
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Imo, marine movement is fine, maybe allow the skulk to turn more without losing as much speed? Making it even closer to NS1 where you could do tight figure eights without a loss of speed (in fact you gained it). Obviously not to that level, just so aliens have some more air control and can follow the marine dodge (not too easily).
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    We had crazy air control in one of the BT patches and it was amazing, I want skulks and marines to both be able to make stupid midair turns, it's so much fun to dance around while trying to kill people :D

Also bring back pancaking it was the best :<
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yeah, I'd prefer both sides having some kind of skilled movement that can make a difference/outplay than have the marine rooted and a skulk that can't turn.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This patch base marine movement speed got a buff and there seems to have been an extra strafejump bonus for no reason.
  • SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
    I've been enjoying plenty of ambushes as a skulk this weekend but it seems like any time I try to attack a marine directly from above I don't do any damage.
    Any chance this is a known bug?
  • SammyGSammyG England Join Date: 2013-05-07 Member: 185160Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I like the strafe jump bonus, not sure about the hitting marines being more difficult either. Seems fine for me in almost all situations. Just means that if you time your attack wrong a good marine player will be able to dodge the last bite or 2 and kill you before you can catch up. That's why you need to use walls and chose your engagements wisely so that the marine won't have a chance to escape/dodge.
  • SjNSjN Join Date: 2003-01-07 Member: 11983Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I think when UWE ported the game to linux they accidentally increased the marine's speed + lowered skulk's bite range. I don't see why the marine should have the advantage when they're fighting the skulk in close range.

Marine should have the advantage when it's a long range fight
    Skulk should have the advantage when it's a close range fight

At this moment skulk is kinda useless against a marine who jumps around in random directions non stop. Hope it's fixed soon.
  • TovaTova Join Date: 2012-12-26 Member: 176254Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Strafejumping ruins skulks.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Marine movement is fine, Skulks being slow as ass to accelerate is not.

Though I didn't really mind marine movement before the patch either.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why does everyone assume that UWE does these things on purpose. If they had it their way it would be perfect, but they are a TINY studio doing BIG things.

At 500k every six months, you have to work to a deadline and release. I can't imagine how frustrating it is for UWE to see posts like this.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Of course they don't do it on purpose but they definitely could've handled this whole thing better with a minimum of effort

how dare they...

the past trends, as exemplified by the chartsleads me to the conclusion that the bump in numbers is ephemeral. the numbers of concurrent players always jumps an order of magnitude, then settles back to a 1000ish concurrent players after theexcitement wears off. you're the one making the assumption that this free weekend is unique.

my evidence that a buggy release isn't as likely to retain numbers as much as an insight release is admittedly anecdotal, but it's not really that much of a stretch.

the updates don't seen like a big enough change that they would cause someone who wouldn't have bought 251 to buy 254. while the bugs in 254 seem like they might be enough to turn off someone that is looking for a responsive experience. im certainly less likely to buy a game riddled with bugs until a time that it is not riddled with bugs.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Roobubba wrote: »
    It isn't just the Marine strafe jump, it's also the cluttered alien visuals and changed draw damage. And the performance and input lag (will be trying out the suggested fixes when I can next play).
    We absolutely need a simplified alien sight (not f on), and better differentiation between friendly, enemy and building units.

i suggested this a long time ago, but it received negative feedback on 'it's not a do everything vision'

I wanted a set color for team mate aliens, different color for marines, and different color for structures
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have a tough time hitting marines but that seems to be more to do with low FPS , I do ok with high FPS but not as good as before. Completely fine when I got celerity though. I guess khamms will need to get spur or shell at quicker rates to counter the onset of most players struggling to land bites.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    Marine movement is fine, Skulks being slow as ass to accelerate is not.

Though I didn't really mind marine movement before the patch either.

Maybe they should slightly increase acceleration with biomass to help keep skulks balanced in early game but scale better throughout.