Build 252 breaks the crossfire AMD

DeGDeG Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187155Members
edited August 2013 in Technical Support
Hi everyone

Since the days of a build my 252 Tri-fire AMD 6970 no longer works, only one card is recognized games.

The thank you frankly the NS2 DEV of anything.

It is very pretty to add D3D11 + OpenGL API, but if it is to break the performance not worth it.

Test your build your NS2.exe before launching a updates.

Frankly I hope you will correct this problem in build 253 on Friday.

Hi,

I just put a new screen in D3D9 this time we bug out the way forward in the menu frankly I synchronized 3 gpu and 160 fps and one gpu has 99% more use to display a GUI LOL what.

Comments

• aruametelloaruametello Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168371Members
    i am having the same problem too, hopefully waiting for a fix!
  • dedlightdedlight Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187159Members
    edited August 2013
    yes this happened to me too. It took me awhile to figure out what the hell was going on. I went from 200 fps to 30. Minimized my game and looked at ccc and sure enough only 1 card out of 3 was running.
  • NazrudinNazrudin Join Date: 2009-09-17 Member: 68811Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Same issues here, before this "Reinforced" build my game was running blazingly smooth (Vsync off) with 150fps every everything maxed out. After this build 252 and 253 my fps with everything maxed out in combat with like 6 players my fps is at best 35 or lower and my input lag is horrible.

I tried using the input fix and stuttering fix to no avail.

This game is awesome but today it's not so awesome so I will wait for a fix.

(2x 6970's with an i7 2600k @ 3.4 Ghz)

EDIT: Menus are also slow and sluggish, sometime is freezes for like 4-5 seconds when I click "Play" or options menu or when clicking disconnect from a game. Before it was instant.
  • NedStarNedStar Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Crossfire wasn't working for me on b252 but kicked back into action on b253. I haven't tested dx9 on 253 yet but dx11 was working fine in crossfire. Well, minus the game crashing multiple times and I ended up going back to dx9, didn't check if crossfire kicked in as I crashed mid comm. But the crossfire scaling was definitely there for me on dx11.

I am however using the 7x series and the 13.8b1 drivers. Not sure what drivers you're all using but if you're using crossfire you'll want the 13.8 drivers regardless. Frame pacing makes crossfire a lot smoother.

• NazrudinNazrudin Join Date: 2009-09-17 Member: 68811Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    NedStar wrote: »
    Crossfire wasn't working for me on b252 but kicked back into action on b253. I haven't tested dx9 on 253 yet but dx11 was working fine in crossfire. Well, minus the game crashing multiple times and I ended up going back to dx9, didn't check if crossfire kicked in as I crashed mid comm. But the crossfire scaling was definitely there for me on dx11.

I am however using the 7x series and the 13.8b1 drivers. Not sure what drivers you're all using but if you're using crossfire you'll want the 13.8 drivers regardless. Frame pacing makes crossfire a lot smoother.

I'm using 13.4 (stable version)

But I'II go ahead and try the 13.8 and report back if there's any change.

Thanks.
    After installing 13.8 I still have the same FPS as I had before, also terrible input lag aswell even at 60FPS, it feels like syrup at 35fps.. It's horrible.
  • mst3kldmst3kld Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187233Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Im running 13.8 beta version 2 and crossfire is not working for me either. I am also suffering from the imput mouse lag issues. specs
    i970
    xfire 6950 2gb
    12gb ram
    win 7 64bit
  • MeatPopsicleMeatPopsicle Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151996Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited August 2013
    Same problem for me :(
    My FPS dropped in half since the patch. Darnit i really wanted to play with all the lovely new toys!

Also running v13.4
    Specs;
    FX8350 @ 4.2
    2Gb 6950s in Xfire
    16Gb RAM
    Win 7 x64
  • DeGDeG Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187155Members
    Hi everyone,

Thank you for your support towards the problem of performance drop from the last 252 days and 253.

I said that the problem is that NS2 does not work in crossfire and tri-fire.

In my case I use the drivers 13.8 beta2 parcing frame.

I grieve that my time if this is not a concern for AMD drivers.

Before this patch is D3D9 all work perfectly with a framerate more than well, and now even in passing in the game drivers in the D3D9 worry is not set.

all my other single player games or even beta as well my takes arma3 Tri-fire.

I understand the infatuation of NS2 developers to add maps contained, features that brings change, even as it is their creation, the more we create a superb engine.

But frankly the drivers without any addition API tests must stop throwing stones at amd drivers.

For my part I even try to inject a D3D9 driver other than the game, clamping is real at the current compile.
  • NedStarNedStar Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'll see if I can do some proper testing soon with crossfire on and off to see if I spot any performance increase with it on. I did notice somewhat lower then normal fps when I enabled all the graphical options.

Normally I'd just look into CCC or MSI afterburner but the latest drivers introduced a bug where the 2nd card always shows up as 99% usage making it pretty hard to see how the 2nd card is scaling.

You might want to disable crossfire on NS2 for now if you got issues. Negative scaling can happen and can wreck a real number on your FPS.

If you open CCC and go to gaming > 3d application settings you can disable crossfire on a game per game basis.

You also might want to try this to see if it helps with your input lag.
    edited August 2013
    NedStar wrote: »
    I'll see if I can do some proper testing soon with crossfire on and off to see if I spot any performance increase with it on. I did notice somewhat lower then normal fps when I enabled all the graphical options.

Normally I'd just look into CCC or MSI afterburner but the latest drivers introduced a bug where the 2nd card always shows up as 99% usage making it pretty hard to see how the 2nd card is scaling.

You might want to disable crossfire on NS2 for now if you got issues. Negative scaling can happen and can wreck a real number on your FPS.

If you open CCC and go to gaming > 3d application settings you can disable crossfire on a game per game basis.

You also might want to try this to see if it helps with your input lag.

I tried enabling my crossfire with dx9 with everything maxed on training with bots and I recieve about 40-35 FPS and horrible input lag, then I try the exactly same thing with crossfire disabled and I get the exact FPS.. so I seems that crossfire is in fact disabled and is not causing any negative scaling. I wonder why my crossfire is not working and for others it's working flawlessly. I also tried your suggestion to solve the input lag and I tried that and it had no effect whatsoever.

However I'm not so keen on this stuff but to monitor my 2nd GPU to see if it is working when I run NS2 what program should I use?

Thanks!
  • mst3kldmst3kld Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187233Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    I use MSI afterburner to see GPU loads. Its a small free download and it will show you how much work each card is doing.
    mst3kld wrote: »
    I use MSI afterburner to see GPU loads. Its a small free download and it will show you how much work each card is doing.

Thanks!

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    It is known, but thank you!
    Hi guys, i did a "trick" to re-enable crossfire in dx9, i think you might want to test it: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/132072/hack-fix-to-re-enable-crossfire-on-dx9-could-solve-sli-issues-too?new=1

Thanks for posting this, I did not know this!

I'II try it out and if it works I'II yet ya know.
    edited September 2013
    Right, I placed the d3d9.dll inside my NS2 folder (where the NS2.exe is) and when I boot NS2 is says "NS2 has stopped working"

Any ideas?

EDIT: Enabling aero again let me boot NS2 without troubles. However I had to copy the original NS2.exe and rename the copy to "Arma2.exe" only then the game starts, otherwise it will crash, this will also prevent me from tabbing out of the game (I can tab out but it wont let me tab back into NS2)

EDIT: Yeah, this actually enabled by crossfire again, no input lag and FPS went through the roof again, you sir deserve a big cookie!
    Nazrudin wrote: »
    Right, I placed the d3d9.dll inside my NS2 folder (where the NS2.exe is) and when I boot NS2 is says "NS2 has stopped working"

Any ideas?

EDIT: Enabling aero again let me boot NS2 without troubles. However I had to copy the original NS2.exe and rename the copy to "Arma2.exe" only then the game starts, otherwise it will crash, this will also prevent me from tabbing out of the game (I can tab out but it wont let me tab back into NS2)

EDIT: Yeah, this actually enabled by crossfire again, no input lag and FPS went through the roof again, you sir deserve a big cookie!

i am aware of the alt tab problem, it was a pretty sloppy coding work on the proxy dll, i will update the fix later.

but i didnt expected the "cant run without aero enabled", and "cant run the game as the default executable ns2.exe", the "arma2.exe" thing is just to load a differente crossfire profile that gives better scalling (and non glitchy shadows)
    * fun fact: i emailed amd SEVERAL TIMES about the unoptimized crossfire profile that ns2.exe uses right now, and even sugested that the simple work of copying the arma2 profile to ns2 could fix that, months latter and nothing happened, so i guess its not fanboy talk that amd dont put a lot of effort in the drivers... =(

Any ideas?

i am aware of the alt tab problem, it was a pretty sloppy coding work on the proxy dll, i will update the fix later.

but i didnt expected the "cant run without aero enabled", and "cant run the game as the default executable ns2.exe", the "arma2.exe" thing is just to load a differente crossfire profile that gives better scalling (and non glitchy shadows)
    * fun fact: i emailed amd SEVERAL TIMES about the unoptimized crossfire profile that ns2.exe uses right now, and even sugested that the simple work of copying the arma2 profile to ns2 could fix that, months latter and nothing happened, so i guess its not fanboy talk that amd dont put a lot of effort in the drivers... =(

Thanks alot for your effort!

But yeah, it's AMD and they are like that.. that's kinda why I'm going Nvidia on my next upgrade.

• Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013

Any ideas?

FUnnily enough, I emailed Nvidia and sent PM's to their Community reps's and the SLI profile did get changed the the best base profile (the one I recommended to use after many hours of testing).

I also sent them an email after reinforced and get a response. I mentioned that they should look into the current multi-gpu problems (SLI gives you a horrible expreience in DX11 and DX9 post reinforced now even though the SLI bits have not been changed) the games is having and and a DX11 profile. They sent me back that they forwarded my email to the muli-GPU driver dev team.

So... maybe UWE will get some support from Nvidia as to why the new driver update killed Multi-GPU scaling!

I must say... good guy Nvidia in this case in comparison to AMD.
  • gimmilfactorygimmilfactory Join Date: 2013-09-29 Member: 188518Members
    This is a simple fix, I have been dealing with this for a few weeks by uninstalling and installing new drivers.
    I am running 2 EAH 6870 1GB cards at default clocks; a nice pair of cards which have handled a lot of games
    up to this point.

Until then, I am running the 13-9_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql release of Catalyst, and the
    AMD_Catalyst_13.5_CAP1.05212013 profile set. Simply placing all of my graphics on high
    and placing the game in fullscreen mode, not windowed fullscreen, has fixed this issue,
    plane and simple. I can not say this will work for all of you, as architectures and protocols
    differ so much from system to system. Just try :). I know I hate it too..

Since I got it working, I am still experiencing some minor hangs and fps drops during extended game-play;
    but no where nearly as bad and resource drowning as the prior experiences I've had. There have been small
    notices of "ambient room light flashing on and off" shadow play within my game - my own description of it.
    In this case I will be playing around with the profiles trying various versions and writing it all down and cross-
    referencing the issues I have found.

Although I have not tested much beyond accomplishing this fleet of frustration and posting, I plan on
    bookmarking this forum post and sharing my future findings as needed. I rather absolutely loved the first NS,
    and am quite astonished at the fleet of dynamic balance and flow you at UW have managed to keep this game
    within.

*Cheers!*

-GimmiLFactorY