Horrible performance in 252/253/254 [partially solved]

HeavenfallHeavenfall Join Date: 2010-08-14 Member: 73620Members
edited August 2013 in Technical Support
Before 252 I ran the game at around 60 fps, fairly stable. Post 252 I get ~40 fps, and it feels like ~20 fps. Changing between DX9 and OpenGL doesn't really alter it. Almost all the settings I have are on lowest, except Bloom (on) and textures (Medium) - just as before the patch.

This patch has rendered the game unplayable for me.

DXDIag: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=JMZrsYUu

Comments

• KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thank you for making the game absolutely rubbish and unplayable. I won't be playing until the next patch in a few days, I really hope you sort this cr@p out.

Me and several other people I just had a round with are all of the same opinion.

Whats with the hyper sensitivity? I could barely bite anything as a skulk.

Your QA team should be fired!

The only change I made was going onto DX11.

Don't even get me started on Alien vision!

http://pastebin.com/65Ac2ZHD
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    All we do is advise them @kalopsia , we can not force them, but thanks for the suggestion non the less.

@heavenfall in low fps areas take a screenshot of r_stats enabled in the console.
    Thanks
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Kalopsia wrote: »

We cant be fired, we're only volunteers putting in 40 hour weeks for free. Care to join us?
  • HeavenfallHeavenfall Join Date: 2010-08-14 Member: 73620Members
    edited August 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @heavenfall in low fps areas take a screenshot of r_stats enabled in the console.
    Thanks

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=173621435
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=173621397
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=173621371

Edit: This wasn't really in a low-fps area, everywhere is low-fps area now. But these would be areas where I would expect 60+ FPS at the very least pre-patch - nothing going on nearby, no buildings, a marine or so.
  • MowwexMowwex Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165643Members
    Try changing to D3D11, D3D9 seems to have horrible performance right now
  • xBlueXFoxxxBlueXFoxx Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185497Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited August 2013
    Correct me if I'm wrong but pre-caching does not full cache all pre game aspects, play a few rounds on each map and allow for everything to cache/load, this is typically what happens every update when caches are cleared, aspects are not fully loaded and your CPU/HDD is working to load them during gameplay.

I wouldn't be shocked if there's a flaw in my logic here as I have personally not did any benchmarking in the situation, but every update it always seems to be the same hit in performance, but then it fades back into a well running game after a few hours of playing. Just an FYI I'm running DX11 with accelerated PhysX on with my GTX 560.
  • SkulkBaitsSkulkBaits Join Date: 2013-06-13 Member: 185549Members
    My server hates the update. Constant tic rate drops! My regular players hate it severely.

client side, I love the new **** but this is bugged to hell. I get points in game where everything stops loading on D3D9(go threw phase gate and nothing is on other side but an empty room), tons of stutter on DX11(Despite my increased frame rate) and artifacting on OpenGL (with an occasional crash)

Client side issues aside, I am terribly upset with server performance. I Co-own and operate one of the most played on servers in the United States. To be honest our piece of the community is very upset with the early release of this patch.
    edited August 2013
    Mowwex changing to D3D11 seemed to help with the FPS, and I also have much less stuttering / "sudden drops". However, I am still experiencing severe input lag. When I move my mouse, it takes about 0.1 seconds for the game to register it. This makes aiming nigh impossible, and it seems to get worse in intense situations when lots of things happen (lower fps). This is new in 252.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited August 2013
    My mouse settings or sensitivity feels completely off with the same settings and I get this odd micro stuttering even with high frames. Overall it feels choppy/clunky when moving or aiming and not smooth like before. Frames also seem to tank more than 251 late game.
  • SkulkBaitsSkulkBaits Join Date: 2013-06-13 Member: 185549Members
    Obraxis wrote: »

We cant be fired, we're only volunteers putting in 40 hour weeks for free. Care to join us?

Tried never heard anything back. Also if you suggested that alien vision, thanks for the eye rape.
  • roxrox Join Date: 2013-06-12 Member: 185536Members
    SkulkBaits wrote: »
    My server hates the update. Constant tic rate drops! My regular players hate it severely.

client side, I love the new **** but this is bugged to hell. I get points in game where everything stops loading on D3D9(go threw phase gate and nothing is on other side but an empty room), tons of stutter on DX11(Despite my increased frame rate) and artifacting on OpenGL (with an occasional crash)

Client side issues aside, I am terribly upset with server performance. I Co-own and operate one of the most played on servers in the United States. To be honest our piece of the community is very upset with the early release of this patch.

Yeah I haven't run into any server that DOESN'T have performance issues after 252.. Played on various different servers and everything from the 16-slot UWE official ones to the popular 18-22 slot servers are having issues. I haven't checked net stats when it happens but basically everything stops for 1-2 seconds and then you get "teleported" to where you were a few seconds before it lagged, presumably the tickrate just dies.
  • xBlueXFoxxxBlueXFoxx Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185497Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    That I must agree with, my client performance is fine, the server performance issues are definitely there. Sometimes when outside of a room you'll see things like extractors, once you go in they disappear, as if they're not updating properly. Late games are a lot more laggy, probably due to all of the new objects on the field.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    For those pointing the issue at server performance I can say that for 99% of people this is going to be the real problem. I have seen with this build performance regress to where it was back last October on the server side. This does make logical sense given that we are basically now with the massive engine changes needed for linux basically making this a new game (shit if it was not for lua jui performance right now might actually be just as bad as back in the beta on the server side). Hopefully, though these are just temp issues caused by having a lot of errors ect on the server side that can be patched and fixed up to improve performance. In addition now that linux is out of the way this should in theory open up time for the dev team to focus on other large coding projects that deal with massive performance improvements such as multi core support. They have hinted at multi core server support in the past but no work on it has yet been ofically announced.

What I can say is that although the latest build appears to also have a server side memory leek it does appear that the garbage collection which occurs at round start now works REALLY REALLY WELL. As a result memory efficiency appears to have been improved in this build even though overall server performance has dropped like a rock.
    edited August 2013
    Even when I use D3D11 I get HUGE fps drops when shooting my weapon as marine. Like, the game will go from 40 fps to 5 fps if I actually hit anything (not just shooting a wall). What's what about? Obviously makes it absolutely impossible to aim and shoot, and doubly so with the new Shitty Input Lag™.

I mean, what the fuck is going on. You have a great game and it runs OK for me, then you publish this horrid patch with bad movement, input lag, frame stutters, and servers dying under the strain of low performance. Why was this shit patch even published?
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    unplayable for me too. I used to champion my setup as being a no-lag great fps. Now it is a shitty mess of stutter and micro banding.
    i5, windows 7x64, ATI 6850, 8gb ram.

ive rubberbanded back through PGs too. Not good.
    Still experiencing input lag and massive fps drops when fighting. This is in 253.

Looking forward to being able to play the game again.
    Still experiencing input delay in 254. Very obvious when FPS drops in combat.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Cant even run my own sandbox serv w/ out crash.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Thank you for making the game absolutely rubbish and unplayable. I won't be playing until the next patch in a few days, I really hope you sort this cr@p out.

Me and several other people I just had a round with are all of the same opinion.

Whats with the hyper sensitivity? I could barely bite anything as a skulk.

The only change I made was going onto DX11.

Don't even get me started on Alien vision!

Why be such a dick lol? It obviously was not intended, give them a few days and it will be resolved.

• PurgePurge Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187172Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    My System : Intel Xeon 1230 v2
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition
    8 GB DDR 3

On Windows the Performance is a little bit laggy and its not so smooth after 252
    Everything high 35-80 fps

But my Linux Performance is even worse .
    Solution 1280x750 medium details and the rest disabled.

But i am really thank full for the Linux Port :) And i hope in the future the Linux Performance will increase. So I can remove my Windows Partion ;)
    Nice Work UWE. keep going .
  • tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited August 2013

as a matter of fact, yes I'd like to join and help you guys. Currently filling out the application.
  • dedlightdedlight Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187159Members
    My System: i7-4770k haswell
    HIS Radeon HD 7970 Tri-Crossfire
    16 GB DDR3 1866mhz
    240x2 OCZ SSD raid 0
    Moniter Crossover res is 2560x1600

MY fps went from 200+ to 30 and my cards are now getting into 80c with fans at 60%
  • WeTDreamzWeTDreamz Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187247Members
    If any devs are reading this:

With r_stats 1 enabled the ammount if allocated video memory reads 0MB.

This explains the 2.5-3GB of system memory use while playing with build 254.

Older builds ran fine (pre 253).

Im running an AMD 7770 with a Q6600 on a EP45 chipset with 4GB of DDR2-800.

NS2 in d3d11 mode and texture streaming enabled. Similar stuttering on d3d9 and texture streaming off. Obviously the VRam is the culprit here.

I hope this can be fixed promptly.
  • MilaniumMilanium Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176388Members

Filled out a form, but never got a reply. Seems to be quite the insider club.
  • Martin7Martin7 Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148108Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Same here, still waiting for the next round of the selection process which they said it will come (post was from 13.08 by Obraxis).
  • XantamXantam Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187174Members
    Got also a big fps loss :'(
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    There's something horrible in these builds. I'm not sure if it's changing the renderer to be linux-compatible, but I played for a really long time yesterday and I'm experiencing the following problems:

- DX9 gives me higher fps in r_stats than DX11. However, DX9 feels really bad for some reason as far as mouse input, screen rendering. I can't describe it, but it just feels like there's some kind of really small internal delay and hitching that's not just frame-rate/render related with DX9. With DX11 the game almost feels like before with reduced settings so I'm always getting 60+fps (most of the time in the 80-90 range). OpenGL was complete crap as far as FPS with several settings combos so I didn't test further.

- Load times have increased incredibly. Also, with DX11, I'm not sure why (loading animations, textures, or shaders?) but I'm back to when I used to have ridiculously bad problems entering gorge tunnels or the first encounter with marines at the beginning of the round - the game starts caching something, not sure if it's sounds, animations, or textures - and sometimes it takes 10+ seconds to load the gorge tunnel. When I first encounter marines in a round, sometimes there's a .5-1 second "hitch" when they fire their weapons. I'm not sure there's something caching-related. There are other occasional tiny hitches here and there around the map or as the game progresses.

- As a sidenote, ALL these problems that I'm experiencing are a LOT like the occasional "DX9_DEVICE_LOST" crashes I used to have about 20 builds ago when exos were firing (can't remember when they disappeared - I think it was in the build when "animation sizes were optimized/reduced considerably."). Well, they're back. Oh, by the way I had a couple of crashes in-game (logs submitted using submit tool) - however that was over quite a few hours of continuous gameplay yesterday, so not a huge deal. The ridiculously long loading times and occasional caching hitching is though.

The game is playable, for me, using DX11 with reduced settings to reduce the mouse delay which seems to be dependent on FPS. However, it loads forever (again like 20 builds ago) and occasionally hitches. Please fix!
    My input delay was greatly improved when disabling desktop composition (aero) for windows 7 for the ns2.exe client. FPS drops in combat remain very bad.
  • reeqlreeql Join Date: 2013-05-05 Member: 185125Members
    Ive got around 50-60fps and it feels like maybe 15. I love this game but for now is unplayable (spec: i5-3210m and gt 650m 6gb ram). :(
  • iClearSkiesiClearSkies Join Date: 2012-09-22 Member: 160359Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I just came back after a week of play and i dropped 30 FPS. I went from 62 to 14 FPS and thats on the menu