100% unplayable with the mouse lag

aaronmontoaaronmonto Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178052Members, Reinforced - Supporter
edited September 2013 in Technical Support
Are there still no fixes for this? It feels like I'm playing with mouse acceleration and triple-buffered vsync turned on.

Comments

• Scorpion9908Scorpion9908 Australia Join Date: 2013-07-29 Member: 186445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    i am getting no mouse lag people say to fix it turn on - off mouse acceleration and raw input
  • aaronmontoaaronmonto Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178052Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I've tried that and everything else, didn't work. I also get the feeling that people who are reporting no mouse lag just aren't perceptive enough to it... There are a lot of people who report not having mouse lag with vsync turned on, and of course everyone gets (unacceptable) mouse lag with vsync on.
  • Scorpion9908Scorpion9908 Australia Join Date: 2013-07-29 Member: 186445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I guess you just have to wait for an update
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    Disable desktop composition in the exe's properties. It's a temporary fix for a known problem recently (finally) tracked down. Devs are working very hard on fixing it ASAP.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Update:

Create a new NS2 Shortcut.

Right click on it, hit properties.

Apply the following settings:

noaero.JPG

Run NS2 from this new shortcut. See if your FPS/Input Lag has improved.

• ExoskelettExoskelett Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175509Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Same problem. changing to higher graphicaldetails gives a inputdelay around 600 MS and even on lowdetails theres a delay of around 100ms ... cant aim
  • OuchOfDeathOuchOfDeath Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182825Members
    edited September 2013
    Holy shit this actually works. For anyone on Windows 8, Microsoft removed the option to disable desktop composition (the option needed for this workaround), but there's a way to do it with some tweaking.

Here's the video explaining the trick: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUkGDcNgm2Y

If you want to just jump into it, follow the instructions in the youtube video description. Obviously replace the Flash.exe directory with the one for NS2. Just delete the line meant to run flash.exe altogether and leave the steam window open when doing this. Run NS2 from the Steam window. The batch files have to be run with administrator privileges. This requires some basic command line knowledge, but you need some way to run the batch script to bring back explorer unfortunately. If you're not used to the command line then it's probably easier you follow the video instructions and using the custom dock program.

• MilaniumMilanium Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176388Members
    Well I think my problem is that I get 13 FPS in the main menu on my Thinkpad X230. It feels like I am drunk when playing in-game. Lag and stuttering is really horrible although the graphics settings are set to low and look terrible.
  • MigeMige Join Date: 2005-03-19 Member: 45796Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    These tweaks will work because fullscreen mode is more like fullscreen window mode. When you use window mode there is always input lag/mouse lag or other slowdowns, but disabling DWM will usually help.. Great tweak for window players in anygame.. For me opengl is only mode if I want mouselag free game, it feels more full screen than dx9/dx11...
  • aaronmontoaaronmonto Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178052Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Holy shit this actually works. For anyone on Windows 8, Microsoft removed the option to disable desktop composition (the option needed for this workaround, but there's a way to do it with some tweaking.

Here's the video explaining the trick: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUkGDcNgm2Y

If you want to just jump into it, follow the instructions in the youtube video description. Obviously replace the Flash MX exe directory with the one for NS2. The batch files have to be run with administrator privileges. The easiest way to do this is to run a command line with admin privileges, and to run the batch files from the command line. This requires some basic command line knowledge, but you need some way to run the batch script to bring back explorer. If you're not used to the command line then it's probably easier you follow the video instructions and using the custom dock program.

So i have to use a custom dock program or run cmd every time just to get the explorer and start menu back if I want to play this game on Windows 8? Ffffuuu, UWE.
    edited September 2013
    aaronmonto wrote: »

So i have to use a custom dock program or run cmd every time just to get the explorer and start menu back if I want to play this game on Windows 8? Ffffuuu, UWE.

Also, it didn't seem to work for me.
  • scorpacscorpac Join Date: 2009-07-18 Member: 68180Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    can somebody describe me what i have to do to get that .exe on my desktop? Hitting right click on NS2 in the Games List and Create shortcut on desktop does not work for me. I mean, the .exe doesnt let me access the Aero options

Edit: I found it. Didnt know that you can access the real .exe files of steam games now!

For everybody who doesnt know how it works:"Open your Explorer(Computer), direct to your steam folder, open Steamapps, open Common, get into the NS2 folder and search for "NS2.exe" There you can hit right click and create a shortcut on your desktop. Now follow the instructions of Ghostthree5 who wrote up there how it works.
    ^You can simply leave the Steam window open and start from there. The only problem is that disabling DWM didn't work for me. Hopefully it works for you?
    edited September 2013
    If you use Windows 8, yes. Microsoft disabled the option to turn compositing off with Windows 8 so it's very hard to do. If you have Windows 7 or below you just disable compositing by rightclicking on NS2.exe and finding it in the options.

Also I slightly edited last post. Running NS2 from a batch file doesn't work, so just remove the line to run Flash.exe altogether instead of replacing it. Leave the steam window open and run ns2 from there.
  • ReubotReubot Join Date: 2012-10-15 Member: 162374Members
    Switching from dx9 to dx11 helped me.
  • GrassyGrassy Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187525Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Vsync on and limit fps to 59
  • -WildCat--WildCat- Cape Town, South Africa Join Date: 2008-07-19 Member: 64664Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Exoskelett wrote: »
    Same problem. changing to higher graphicaldetails gives a inputdelay around 600 MS and even on lowdetails theres a delay of around 100ms ... cant aim

@Exoskelett, are you guesstimating those numbers or do you have a method to accurately measure input delay? If you have a method, I'd be interested to know about it because I'd also like to take some measurements.
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    100% fixable, read.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I hope they will fix this real soon as I am using Windows 8.
    Turbine wrote: »
    100% fixable, read.

I've already followed the fixes in this thread and they didn't work, so can you please tell me what I am supposed to read?
    I'm using Windows 8 x64 and a GTX 570.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I'm pretty sure raw input just isn't working, and people who notice no lag were probably never playing with raw input on, so the update changed nothing for them, people playing with raw input on prior to the update are going to be the ones feeling input issues afaik

so in my conclusion - something happened with the update that made raw input stop working
    edited September 2013
    I don't play with raw input and still had mouse lag.

Disabling compositing fixed the majority of the mouse lag for me, but I notice that there's still a certain amount of it below 60FPS that wasn't there before. The mouse lag is noticably higher between 30-60 FPS than it was before, even with disabling compositing. 60 and above seems to be identical to before with the fix. The game's almost as good as before now, aside from that mouse lag under 60.
    edited September 2013
    I don't play with raw input and still had mouse lag.

Disabling compositing fixed the majority of the mouse lag for me, but I notice that there's still a certain amount of it below 60FPS that wasn't there before. The mouse lag is noticably higher between 30-60 FPS than it was before, even with disabling compositing. 60 and above seems to be identical to before with the fix. The game's almost as good as before now, aside from that mouse lag under 60.

It seems to be the same for me then, because while your fix (along with using DX11) helped somewhat but there's still some mouse lag that wasn't there before and isn't there in any of my other FPS games. It's detectable, although much less so, at higher framerates.

I am normally a very high skill player as I've been playing almost exclusively PC FPS shooters for the past 8 years for around 80 hours a week, so any smidge of mouse lag is just not good enough for me. Also, I played with raw input on before. The fact that you didn't may be the reason that you aren't noticing mouse lag with your fix, because it's essentially the same as it was before for you.