Why I Love Vortex [Fade Video]

ShinigamlShinigaml Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69315Members
edited August 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Here's me using vortex. Disliked the typical way people used it which was... 1) Vortex around corner 2) Run in 3) Swipe 4) Get vortex'd out 5) Repeat

I needed a way to effectively stay in combat and here's what I've come up with.
Note: Nothing is sped up. Recorded with fraps and rendered with Sony Vegas.

youtube.com/watch?v=Y4FLODk5Ukc (YouTube Link)

I'm still looking for comp team if anyone's interested (Link below)
forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130983/gosu-looking-for-team#latest

Comments

• SammyGSammyG England Join Date: 2013-05-07 Member: 185160Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Pretty cool! Seems kind of energy intensive.
  • ShinigamlShinigaml Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69315Members
    Pretty cool! Seems kind of energy intensive.

As long as you don't "hold" blink it should be fine. Also, in most of these clips I wasn't using shadow-step before vortex'ing again in mid air. If you do that you can conserve some energy and be more elusive (faster).
  • delta78delta78 Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178131Members
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    the first eye-opening montage video i've seen... finally the fade seems actually good and not just a bipedal lerk ;)

i think using vortex looks like that really opens up a lot of strategies which were weren't available against decent players before.
    tarquinbb wrote: »
    the first eye-opening montage video i've seen... finally the fade seems actually good and not just a bipedal lerk ;)

i think using vortex looks like that really opens up a lot of strategies which were weren't available against decent players before.

I wish I coulda got better clips for you guys then lol.. I literally used up every single video clip I recorded in these 2 days. I wanted to get more scenes in but was desperate to get this all rendered and uploaded instead.

• RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    I ended up doing some stuff like this after playing around with vortex for a while (vortex as a long distance movement ability has some fantastic uses) but the energy cost is kind of prohibitively high for extended fights especially if you try to use it in conjunction with stab. I find myself lerking a lot more nowadays anyway, it just feels like the early pressure, then umbra and spikes later on vs. marine deathballs and the ability to actually solo kill extractors before the heat death of the universe is a bigger contribution to the team than being the guy with more hp and some fancy dancing.
    edited August 2013
    I ended up doing some stuff like this after playing around with vortex for a while (vortex as a long distance movement ability has some fantastic uses) but the energy cost is kind of prohibitively high for extended fights especially if you try to use it in conjunction with stab. I find myself lerking a lot more nowadays anyway, it just feels like the early pressure, then umbra and spikes later on vs. marine deathballs and the ability to actually solo kill extractors before the heat death of the universe is a bigger contribution to the team than being the guy with more hp and some fancy dancing.

It's almost like you're referring to this "fancy dancing" as if it was just for show.

In any case, every class has an important role to play, and to say that fades are less of a contributor than any other class is to speak with ignorance. Every role is important and while some roles may play a bigger part than others in certain situations/periods, you still cannot discredit the fade. Yes, this is just one fade playing but imagine a fadeball consisting of 4-5 players doing this.. Then see the results and the impact it will make in mid-late games.
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    I'm not sure how you managed to read into my post that I thought fades were useless, only that the lerk can put out enough early pressure that it feels like saving for fade is a waste and that the new movement possibilities added by vortex aren't sufficient to compensate for it, much in the same way that rushing fade was typically the best choice in earlier builds. The lerk now has an unquestionably overwhelming advantage when it comes to harassing the marine economy and I feel like it's significant.
    edited August 2013
    I'm not sure how you managed to read into my post that I thought fades were useless, only that the lerk can put out enough early pressure that it feels like saving for fade is a waste and that the new movement possibilities added by vortex aren't sufficient to compensate for it, much in the same way that rushing fade was typically the best choice in earlier builds. The lerk now has an unquestionably overwhelming advantage when it comes to harassing the marine economy and I feel like it's significant.

I'm not sure how you managed to read into my post that you thought that I thought you said fades were useless. I never used that word at all in my post. I simply referenced your words of choice like, "contribution" and went from there. You should read my post again or at least avoid twisting my words because I never said anything along the lines of "useless".

Edit: Your post kinda proved my point of what I wanted to get across...
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Shinigaml wrote: »

It's almost like you're referring to this "fancy dancing" as if it was just for show.

In any case, every class has an important role to play, and to say that fades are less of a contributor than any other class is to speak with ignorance. Every role is important and while some roles may play a bigger part than others in certain situations/periods, you still cannot discredit the fade. Yes, this is just one fade playing but imagine a fadeball consisting of 4-5 players doing this.. Then see the results and the impact it will make in mid-late games.

i actually didn't read his statement as a critique of your playstyle, or ability. but as a critique of the efficacy of fades overall now. they might have nerfed fades enough, in terms of speed, energy and structure damage such that lerks may actually contribute more for less pres.
    amoral wrote: »

i actually didn't read his statement as a critique of your playstyle, or ability. but as a critique of the efficacy of fades overall now. they might have nerfed fades enough, in terms of speed, energy and structure damage such that lerks may actually contribute more for less pres.
    Lerks got a buff and fades "may" have gotten nerfed but you'll still be needing fades just as badly in the field. Yes, lerks got buffed and thus can contribute much more greatly in early game but the point I've been trying to get across is that you cannot replace what a fade does for a lerk, vise versa. That's why in conclusion, both classes play important roles in different situations and at different times. Both are needed in a team for maximum efficiency.
    edited August 2013
    i don't think lerks have had a better ROI than fade since the massive sewlek balance patch, and fade is even stronger (potentally, with increased versatility and 'focus') since reinforced.

i'm referring mainly to the big hit to lerk when they increased the assault rifle collision 'radius'... mediocre players can make you think twice about trying to 1v1 them... and entering a room with >1 decent player is almost suicide now as lerk because you simply die to half an assault rifle clip.

on the other hand fade can not only ENTER the room, but he can deal a sigificant 'focus like' stab and then instantly teleport to safety.

what does this all mean? well, it seems like a start to making lerk a late game support/harrassment tool and fade is the late game direct/deathmatcher. their roles are more unique than ever before, and they more appropriately match their cost.

Lerks got a buff and fades "may" have gotten nerfed but you'll still be needing fades just as badly in the field. Yes, lerks got buffed and thus can contribute much more greatly in early game but the point I've been trying to get across is that you cannot replace what a fade does for a lerk, vise versa. That's why in conclusion, both classes play important roles in different situations and at different times. Both are needed in a team for maximum efficiency.

firstly, fades got nerfed period, full stop.

I haven't played a pug yet with the current build, but I do know they've done nothing to slow down marine early game while they did Nerf alien res collection. what this should mean is that you'll have the 2-2 shotguns out by the time the fades hit. and these are unupgraded fades too. before, shotgunners stood a chance against fade balls if they were good enough, now? I can't remember if vortex is still third hive, but I know for a fact that fade eggs are.

I can't think of a single composition of 5 aliens that can take territory from a 2-2 shotgun marine team that can aim. the only viable path is to win before shotguns come out. which is frankly ridiculous.

top team vs top teams summer cup, marines could handle fades. now, marines will just roll them.

back to your playstyle. im not sure if you're more efficient than simply blinking. I noticed in your video that you left after 2 or 3 repetitions due to energy, and that was with adrenaline. vortex and blink combos don't leave you with much energy to swipe. that being said, in a competitive context, it's immaterial, vortex is high enough in the tech tree that you won't see it when it really matters most.

I haven't played a pug yet with the current build, but I do know they've done nothing to slow down marine early game while they did Nerf alien res collection. what this should mean is that you'll have the 2-2 shotguns out by the time the fades hit. and these are unupgraded fades too. before, shotgunners stood a chance against fade balls if they were good enough, now? I can't remember if vortex is still third hive, but I know for a fact that fade eggs are.

I can't think of a single composition of 5 aliens that can take territory from a 2-2 shotgun marine team that can aim. the only viable path is to win before shotguns come out. which is frankly ridiculous.

top team vs top teams summer cup, marines could handle fades. now, marines will just roll them.

back to your playstyle. im not sure if you're more efficient than simply blinking. I noticed in your video that you left after 2 or 3 repetitions due to energy, and that was with adrenaline. vortex and blink combos don't leave you with much energy to swipe. that being said, in a competitive context, it's immaterial, vortex is high enough in the tech tree that you won't see it when it really matters most.

First, it's 2nd hive...

And if you watched my video I've done 4-5 swipes while still being effective and elusive lol. Did you even watch the video? :p Watch again.
  • griffgriff Join Date: 2013-08-10 Member: 186715Members
    Sick video, good to see the new updates used skillfully.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Good video, but what we really need to attract thousands new players is a Trololol with a marine commander!
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Nice video, but I don't think your strat is good. :D Marines know where you're coming from. It's just that you're a great fade and you have ridiculously good spatial awareness so you can pull it off. :P But I don't think it's any better than the corner-escape.
    Nice video, but I don't think your strat is good. :D Marines know where you're coming from. It's just that you're a great fade and you have ridiculously good spatial awareness so you can pull it off. :P But I don't think it's any better than the corner-escape.
    It's weird how vortex works cause sometimes I appear a bit away from where I actually set the vortex. And if you time it right you can shadowstep or blink right after the vortex making it hard for them to predict you.

In any case, I gotta experiment more and find out ways to be more effective as I'm still a noobie using this strat.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like the idea of using it in combat to disorient marines. Good video. Only concern is is probably costs lots of energy
    edited August 2013
    I like the idea of using it in combat to disorient marines. Good video. Only concern is is probably costs lots of energy

Well you don't need to use it after a single swipe, I just did it like that to show that you simply "can" do it. It'll be more effective to get in 2+ swipes first before using vortex > swipe > getting vortex'd to swipe again. Or vise versa. Get a swipe in, vortex > swipe > get vortex'd to swipe twice before exiting. Well, you get the point :p
  • ReubotReubot Join Date: 2012-10-15 Member: 162374Members
    After playing the new fade for a while, the only use I found for vortex was getting back to combat quickly after healing at the hive. I think you'll be much more effective fighting as usual and only using it to get back to the action.

When stab comes into play then it becomes useful in combat. Btw, is stab broken? Draw damage displays only 75 damage after a stab..
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Is it possible to telefrag a marine that's inside a vortex? :D
    Reubot wrote: »
    After playing the new fade for a while, the only use I found for vortex was getting back to combat quickly after healing at the hive. I think you'll be much more effective fighting as usual and only using it to get back to the action.

When stab comes into play then it becomes useful in combat. Btw, is stab broken? Draw damage displays only 75 damage after a stab..

Shows 160 for me
  • pikapeepikapee Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187497Members

First, it's 2nd hive...

And if you watched my video I've done 4-5 swipes while still being effective and elusive lol. Did you even watch the video? :p Watch again.

ugh, stupid tech tree updates. anyway, i meant 2-3 vortex iterations. i feel like a blink only fade might be able to stick around for longer given the same skill level.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited September 2013

I love me some lerkage, but I'm not sure I buy that completely. It's a lot easier to make one stupid mistake and lose a lerk than it is with a fade, and this only gets more true the later in the game you go. You really can't get aggressive with a lerk once marines have upgrades and shotguns if you're playing against competent marines (at which point, if you still have the lerk, it's umbra support time). That alone isn't going to win the game, so you still absolutely have to bring out a fade at some point. It's nice to see that the lerk is getting used more, but it hardly replaces the fade.

Lerks are crazy strong right now and lerk bite may be too fast. We'll see how it pans out.
    Narfwak wrote: »

I love me some lerkage, but I'm not sure I buy that completely. It's a lot easier to make one stupid mistake and lose a lerk than it is with a fade, and this only gets more true the later in the game you go. You really can't get aggressive with a lerk once marines have upgrades and shotguns if you're playing against competent marines (at which point, if you still have the lerk, it's umbra support time). That alone isn't going to win the game, so you still absolutely have to bring out a fade at some point. It's nice to see that the lerk is getting used more, but it hardly replaces the fade.

Lerks are crazy strong right now and lerk bite may be too fast. We'll see how it pans out.

to be fair, I never said that the lerk could handle shotgunners. I was purposely ambiguous on that point. I was actually implying my doubt that fades could anymore either.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    So do you think Vortex would work better for this tactic if it saved your faceing when you used it? Currently vortex points you in the exact same direction you were facing when you attacked, which I actually find mildly disorienting.
    edited September 2013
    Narfwak wrote: »

to be fair, I never said that the lerk could handle shotgunners. I was purposely ambiguous on that point. I was actually implying my doubt that fades could anymore either.

fades couldn't deal with 2-2 shotgunners since ever... now with stab and vortex they actually do have a chance (haven't done the maths, but 1-2 regular hits to destroy armor, then stab will probably 1-shot a medpack spammed marine).

please explain how they had a better chance in previous patches, which is what you appear to be claiming. against medpack spam you'd need like 9-10 hits...

the patch does make adrenaline upgrade pretty much essential to be fully effective, but surely that's better than having carapace as the only essential (therefore braindead) upgrade. if you run out of energy and die, then you're doing it wrong.